Author Topic: Jagged  (Read 20509 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Jagged
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 11:50:56 AM »
Owen tensed, looking up at Digital, his hands fisted upon his knees as he was stared at.  He didn't detect anything aggressive in the perusal he was receiving but that didn't leave him feeling any less intimidated by the puzzle perched before him.  This vampire had predicted he was coming, knew about his tryst with Sabri years before but also that he'd come because the truth couldn't be kept from him.  Was he about to tell him how this would end, too?  The thought offered him some comfort, for he was certainly doing his best to avoid thinking about it for himself.

"I...'m thankful for your hospitality," he said cautiously, wondering if he would be assaulted by the peculiar and confusing manner of speech he'd witnessed the night before or sensible comments.  "Is there... a limit to how long I can be here?  Should I be paying you?" he asked, feeling he should offer recompense for drawing on the group's resources (even though he planned to get his own drinks from the public in the city outside these walls from now on).  Unfortunately, he'd left the house with nothing and he didn't have any money to offer so he wasn't sure what he could do to pay Digital back for his kindness.

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 05:15:55 PM »
"You have no planes to catch," Digital replied in answer to the first question, "and no money in your pockets."  He shrugged, not really needing money, and he knew Owen had a bunch of it available to him.  Digital shoved his hands into his white jeans pockets and turned them out.  "Neither do I!" he said with a gleeful cackled, and the armchair tipped backward dangerously before he leant forward again to stop it.  "I manage, and so will you.  You have something more than what I do, something I want for myself very much."

He waited for Owen to ask him 'what's that?', before he continued, noting the wary expression on the other's face.

"A sire that loves me."
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 05:22:20 PM »
Owen flinched as if he'd been slapped, his head rocking back and his eyes closing as he angled his face downward.  The pain that struck him was physical and he hated that he'd been blindsided and forced to think of Vincent.  Tears sprang to his eyes as he opened them and found himself staring at the floor but he was able to blink them away as the pain was replaced swiftly with anger, his hands bunching into fists again.

"What would you know about it?" he asked nastily, his voice thick with powerful emotions.  He didn't look up at Digital again; he didn't have anywhere else to go and if he made eye contact with the man who was currently sheltering him at this precise moment, he'd likely do something stupid like storm out.  He couldn't afford to do that.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 05:28:57 PM »
"Nothing at all," Digital agreed.  "I've never met my sire, or maybe I have!  I wouldn't recognise him - or her - on the street.  Someone recognised me once, but thought I was on drugs.  I made her think I was her pet turtle, all grown up.  Shelly never looked so good."

He laughed again.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2012, 05:38:01 PM »
The conversation was bizarre enough that his fierce anger abated somewhat and was replaced instead with confusion.  He took a few moments to calm himself and then frowned up at Digital.  "On the upside, you didn't have to think you knew your sire only to find out that everything was a lie," he fished, wondering if Digital would have any insight into his current life circumstances or whether his mental capabilities were more the fairground crystal ball type thing.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2012, 05:44:18 PM »
Digital stared at Owen for a long moment, his head cocked to one side as he listened to his voices whispering and hissing at him.  Then, when he thought he had something relevant, he spoke.

"They were the red dragons, hatched new and weak.  He made them strong and his heart set ablaze for his trouble.  The Sun God is the last of the line.  His world is dark."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »
Owen could only stare at his oddly-attired companion, finding his own truths in the words even though he hadn't wanted to, baffled by a great deal of it.  That last part could have been about him, though and he certainly knew Vincent's world would be dark, now that he was gone.  From the way he'd pleaded with him to stay last night, everything would...

With a wince, Owen shut the thoughts of his sire and the last time they'd seen each other off, knowing what despair awaited him at the end of it.  It was a deep, bottomless hole and he couldn't afford to get immersed in it.  He had to look out for himself now.  "Yes, well, he shouldn't have lied to me," he told Digital briskly, wanting to change the subject.  "Tell me about yourself," he entreated, feigning interest.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 06:05:45 PM »
Digital was unimpressed.  Owen had been handed the world by someone who'd taken a risk with his heart.  The ultimate risk, because it hadn't paid and hadn't paid and hadn't paid.  Digital wasn't strong enough to look for love like that.  Digital wasn't strong enough to look for love at all.  Sex would do.  Love was difficult and troublesome.  Just look at Kerr and Ben.  He hadn't foreseen their ending, and all he saw was the same slim percentage for Owen and his sire.

"Clothes make the man.  There is a room filled with many men and women," Digital said.  "Follow, so you can walk in another's shoes."

Digital would lead Owen upstairs to the room where they'd stolen a large amount of clothing from various donation bins.  The clothes were supposed to go to needy people.  They were needy.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2012, 06:24:59 PM »
Owen's mouth pressed sideways as it seemed Digital wanted to change the subject as well, and he followed after the prophet feeling rather empty and resentful.  As they went upstairs, he reasoned that he should be feeling awe and gratitude (and Natalia would certainly have told him so, he didn't doubt) and he tried to manually switch his emotions in that direction, to think about what his circumstances would be like if he hadn't been allowed to stay here.  His manufactured positive feelings were directly challenged when he got to the room with all the second-hand clothes in it.

Firstly, he had to fight against wrinkling his nose because he'd never wanted for anything in his life - until now - and the thought of wearing something that had once belonged to someone he didn't know was quite affronting.  Secondly, he forced himself to consider the alternative; going home to Vincent's place, knocking on the door and asking for some clothes and maybe his phone and wallet.  Yeah, not going to happen.  This was his reality now and he needed to start accepting, not fighting.  He pressed his lips into something akin to a smile and aimed it at Digital.

"Oh, thanks.  I'll see if I can find something that... fits," he said weakly, gazing at the piles of gear hesitantly.  Shoes were his most pressing need but the notion of putting his feet into something some mortal had sweated into turned his stomach... he'd need socks, of course.  It was a place to start.  "I really can't thank you enough for

hiding

helping me," he told Digital, turning to face him and holding a hand out towards the other vampire for it to be shaken.  He expected that a leader such as he had spent enough time slumming and would leave him amongst the rabble to pick over it until he found something he could tolerate and he didn't want to be watched doing that.  The handshake was his symbolic way of encouraging their parting and telling the other that he was happy to be left alone now.  The sooner he could sink into anonymity the better and hanging with the guy that everybody worshipped wasn't going to accomplish that!

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2012, 06:33:23 PM »
Digital ignored the extended hand and went in for a hug.  It was a very intimate, long-lost-friend kind of hug.  He squeezed Owen, then patted him on the back, before stepping away.

"A man-made lake is still as deep as a natural one," he said carefully, then turned on his heel and left.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 07:01:51 PM »
Owen blinked and returned the hug half-heartedly, nodding sagely as if he understood what Digital was telling him about the lake before he left, his shoulders sagging with relief when the other was gone.  Digital did his head in and part of him was on edge because the guy knew so much about him that he felt he had the right to an opinion.  Owen didn't agree but he could ignore it as long as he wasn't being eyeballed by the guy.  That became more and more difficult as time in the prophet's presence extended, though.  He knew he needed to feel less defensive and more thankful but that was very hard for him when he felt Digital's hospitality came at the price of his disapproval of everything Owen did.

He took a bit of time poking at the clothes before him, his days in retail coming back to him as the urge to order and pile overtook and he found himself folding some really hideous shirts so they could be tucked out of sight.  He didn't find anything that he liked on preliminary inspection but he also didn't feel he needed to change into anything so he could wash his clothes just yet, either.  Maybe he would at the end of the night but for now, the urge to escape scrutiny was stronger so he found a pair of socks and a set of sneakers in his size that had been washed thoroughly and were just a little faded and worn down in the heel.  They felt weird on his feet but he dismissed the concern about stepping in some stranger's worn tread as he left the room and tried to figure out where he was going.

It took a few false starts and some muttering to himself, but Owen eventually got his bearings enough to locate the lobby.  By now, he was thirsty again (or maybe he was just needing a new distraction) so he decided hitting the streets to find someone to charm into letting him drink was a good idea.  So was some fresh air.  He'd passed a couple of other residents in his traipsing up and down the stairs and it'd seemed like they'd stared at him knowingly, because his reputation had preceded him.  He didn't like that feeling and he was already wondering if there was somewhere better he could go as he tucked his fingers into his front jeans pockets and headed across the lobby, staring at the fascinating veins in the marble as he walked over it.

The sensation of familiarity registered far later than it should have but as soon as it did, he stopped and looked up, his eyes widening slightly and his body tensing.  Vincent was standing there and a horrible sensation of being torn in half shuddered through him as he was forced to stifle the rising feelings of love and relief with hurt and betrayal.  He'd been keeping such a lid on his thoughts about this man that he hadn't even felt him getting closer.  That was stupid.  It wouldn't happen again.  Questions welled in him, against his will and he clenched his jaw hard against voicing any of them, waiting for his sire to speak first.  If he didn't say anything, Owen resolved he'd walk right by him and out the doors, though the thought of crossing the sea of marble was terribly daunting and he wasn't sure he could pull it off.

They had to talk at some point, of course, but not yet.  Owen wasn't ready yet and he hated Vincent for forcing it upon him without warning and he hated himself for not being smarter.  He embraced the heated feeling like a warrior wielding a shield.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2012, 07:55:21 PM »
Vincent had risen before the sun had fully sunk, and spent his time in his bedroom, staring at the empty space in his bed.  Like Owen, he tried his best to clamp down on his feelings of loss and grief before dressing and then moving upstairs.  He was set on auto-pilot, following the blood bond he had with his fledge, first in his car until he reached the city, then parking and continuing on foot.  The closer he got, the more anxious he felt, his hands trembling and his feet stumbling every now and then.  Some people quickly got out of his way, thinking him drunk.  He moved purposefully and doggedly until he reached the building that he believed Owen was inside of.

The Oligarchy Chambers.  Of course, clever boy.  As Owen had looked at it from the street, thinking there was something wrong about it, so too did Vincent.  Unlike his fledgling, Vincent used all of his senses instead of just his eyes.  He could see that different lights were on, could smell a lot of mortal smells - which was unusual in itself, as the Oligarchy had been predominantly supernatural.  There'd been higher concentration of demon and fae smells, he'd thought.  Now they were overshadowed by human smells.  There was the absence of sound, too.  He couldn't hear as much whirring and humming coming out of the building.  Really, it was a curiosity, but not a necessity.  He could deal with it later.

Right now, he could feel Owen.

He stepped in through the doors into the lobby itself.

Right now, he could see Owen.

The control he'd thought he had over himself, in order to appeal to his fledgling, his lover, his world... abandoned him as completely as the Oligarchy had abandoned these Chambers.

"Owen," he said, his voice cracking and his face crumbling.  He took another step forward on shaking legs and could feel the heat of his tears streaming down his face, like a sudden rainstorm.  "I love you.  Please, come back with me,"  he pleaded without shame, "we can talk."

Anything, anything
Just don't let me continue without you
I can't do it

What Owen received was not so much the words or language from his sire, rather than the strong emotional sentiment they represented.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 09:02:15 PM »
Owen folded his arms defensively, glaring at Vincent and doing his level best not to be completely undone by the fact that his lover was crying.  He'd never seen Vincent in so many pieces and part of him wanted desperately to go and sweep them all together and tell him it was okay but... it just wasn't.  Most of him felt he didn't even know this man, who'd orchestrated his life and hidden it away in a dark, forgotten corner where it was never meant to be uncovered.  Just thinking about that safe re-energised the despair and anger, the bewilderment and the betrayal.

He strode forward, his face set in lines of fury.  "We can talk here," he hissed, glancing around and wondering how many ears were hearing this embarrassing spectacle, how many vampiric senses were twanging in the perfect storm of their emotional baggage.  "Come outside," he barked, making eye contact with Vincent to be sure he had his acquiscence before he moved past him, careful not to touch him as he went by, shouldering open a door and finding a low stone wall to sit on.  His jaw was set and his arms still folded as he gave another instruction to his sire, after he'd sat beside him.  "Tell me everything."

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 09:41:30 PM »
Vincent wouldn't have cared if the whole world was watching or listening in.  Unless he knew Owen didn't want it, then he would happily go to a secret corner with his love and do whatever his fledgling wanted.  Anything, as long as he wasn't pushed away.

He followed eagerly, still unable to control his emotions.  He pulled out a handkerchief which he'd tucked into his jeans pocket earlier that night and used it to swipe his eyes.  Now that he was with Owen and following him somewhere, he could stop the river from pouring out of his eyes.  They still felt hot and gritty, and as he sat down and looked at Owen - knowing that as much as his own world was falling apart, so too had Owen's.  He recognised there was a terrible impact in the knowledge Owen had discovered last night.  He recognised that there was very little chance Owen would trust him ever again.  But maybe, now that he wanted an explanation, there was hope for them.  Vincent launched into his story, telling it all, like Owen wanted.

"When she died, I was devastated.  Lorica.  I'd been with her almost three hundred years.  We weren't lovers at that stage, but still very much in love, our relationship had evolved well beyond sex.  We couldn't bear to ever leave one another, we couldn't bear to be apart.  I felt responsible for her death.  I... was sleeping with a woman that grew jealous of what I had with her.  She organised her brother to set the fire during the day where I lived with Lorica, while I safely slept in Alice's bed.  She got out of the house but the sun claimed her.  She sent me enough information for me to understand that she was murdered, and recognise who they were.  I understood her final wish, and hunted them down, and killed them.  Among other things, I am a murderer.

"I found out from the final man, Alice's brother, that it had been her idea.  I went to take her life as well, but I couldn't do it.  I was devastated.  I was alone.  I went to ground for about fifty years, and did my mourning down there.  I didn't sleep, like I thought I would.  It was terrible, but it was tolerable, because I didn't have to face anyone, or do anything.

"When I climbed out of the earth I spent the next two centuries on my own.  Those are a blur, I don't really recall them.  I understand now it's because I didn't really live, I merely existed.  I loved nothing and no-one.  I tried to keep a pet and there were some good memories, but they died too, and much too quickly.  I tried to socialise, but I had trouble connecting with people.  Trying to connect with vampires was even worse.

"Abigail was the first.  Her and her mother Nicola.  They were living on the street and I took them in.  I don't know what I would've done had they been blonde or brunette, but their hair was a fiery red, and Nicola reminded me of Lorica, in looks at least.  I wanted to cling to her memory, and so I extended a hand to them.  Abigail was about five or so, but other than considering her as merely Nicola's daughter, I paid her no mind.  Nicola and I became intimate, and I'd pretended that I had a fierce medical condition - an allergy to the sun that affected my eye colouring and obviously the reason for my pale skin.  I would have to go and get weekly treatments - which was my word for going out and charming someone to drink from them.  After five years of this farce, when Nicola was deeply in love with me and I thought I was with her, I told them both the truth.  I was a vampire.  Nicola turned into this bizarre, shrieking frightened creature, and I had to charm her to calm her down.  Abigail... she just looked at me and nodded, like it had answered all of her unspoken questions.

"Unfortunately I had to keep charming Nicola, every night, because she remembered the news.  I wasn't so talented with memory replacement, I've never been that way - that was more Lorica's thing.  So I charmed her every night, and she would be this wonderful person that I recalled, but it was meaningless.  She wasn't vacant or vacuous, but I knew in my heart that she didn't really accept me.  Her real reaction was to loathe me and fear me, as though the last five years had been nothing.  Abigail didn't like the charms either, but she understood the necessity.  She didn't want me to leave, you see.  I started looking at her differently, then.  She was intelligent, accepting, curious and as lovely as her mother.  She was also growing up in front of me, becoming a woman, already fascinated with vampirism.  I told her the benefits; enhanced senses, mental skills, longevity of life.  She was interested, but much like you she wanted to remain normal.  I'd never been sexually attracted to her - she was my daughter, effectively - but before she was of an age that I would consider siring, she fell in love and was married, in order to bear and raise children.  It was not my choice to take her from that.  I loved her too much to sacrifice her for my own selfish needs.  I remained with her mother Nicola, but stopped charming her.  She was already charmed enough that she didn't need any more, I found.  She developed alzeimers quite early on in life, and she went into a nursing home.  It... it worried me, that I had done that.  I stayed with her until she forgot who I was, then paid for her care and left.  She had Abigail and her family to visit, she no longer needed the monster in her life.

"It was Abigail's acceptance that gave me the idea.  Children were far more accepting than adults.  I could also shape a child's life, fill it with opportunities and offer an education like no other.  A child with experiences like that would blossom and grow and love me and stay with me.  I was very optimistic," he said bitterly, but didn't look at Owen as he said this.  He looked down at his linked fingers and continued his tale.  "It was a few years before the second world war when I met with a nurse who worked in the maternity ward.  She was so sad for all the little abandoned babies without even the proper paperwork to their names as young single mothers ran off without their newborn.  I charmed her into giving me one of them.  I selected a redhead, I took it as a sign.  Her birth certificate hadn't even been properly filled out yet.  She'd been named Leanne by her mother, so I shortened it to Leigh."

He glanced over at Owen now, for he'd met Leigh, but couldn't bear to look at his fledge or else he would be a mess of tears and emotions again.  Ripping his gaze away and looking back down at his hands, he continued.

"She knew what I was from the start.  There were no secrets about who I was, what I was, the fact she'd been abandoned by her parents, and wasn't she lucky I'd come along and rescued her?  I couldn't be with her during the day though, so there were nannies.  They came and went, but there were always nannies.  By the time she was nine, there was a difficulty with her last one, and because she was going to school and quite a bright young girl, I didn't bother replacing her nanny.  Unfortunately she took advantage and rebelled, and I had no idea she wasn't going to school until she made a few very ignorant comments and I read her mind.  I tried my best not to invade her privacy - much like I never invaded yours - but it was still a shock to find out she'd been running around like a criminal for years.  I'd made a very bad mistake.  I moved cities, leaving behind the little gang of friends she'd made.  She went back to school, but was socialising at night with her friends, I thought.  She was going to a vampire club instead, and became a share-around groupie.  She'd shacked up with some young vampire at sixteen.  I went and got her back, but the damage was already done.  She wanted to be sired but not by me.  She found someone to sire her a couple of years later.  The one I'd taken her away from, actually.

"Gayle was next.  I thought I'd gone wrong by not giving Leigh a normal upbringing, so paid a couple to be her adoptive parents.  They wanted a child and I gave them one without questions being asked.  They split up and her mother went through a string of boyfriends.  I was always around to keep an eye on Gayle, to make sure nothing bad happened to her while all these strange men came in and out of her life.  I suppose I must've scared some off.  She and I had a good friendship.  She knew she was adopted, but didn't know I'd had anything to do with it.  She was smart and funny and a bit boyish in her manner in interests.  She and I had an easy friendship.  I thought maybe I'd done things right this time, but when she was fifteen I took her to Europe and made another mistake.  It was possibly the most romantic night she and I had ever experienced, and we kissed.  We came home and things got awkward.  She avoided me, I confronted her, and she accused me of setting her up for seduction into vampirism.  Once again, I read her mind, to see how much she knew, but she'd thought it was only the past couple of years that I'd planned, not her whole life.  She was devastated enough, thinking that I'd spent all this time with her just to make her my... slave, or something.  So I did the only gentlemanly thing that I could, I bowed out.

"I was struggling to go through it all again.  I thought I would have one last attempt.  This time with a boy, because I figured Gayle's tomboy nature - working best - was a sign that I would possibly get on better with a man than with a woman.  I wasn't thinking about sexual relationships, you see.  I was thinking about companionship.  I'd always favoured women over men and thought that was also part of my problem, that there was sexual tension.  I took my time selecting someone, and Karen... I met her while she was grieving your father.  Grieving her husband, I mean.  She'd lamented waiting before starting a family.  She'd lost him and now didn't even have a child to raise.  She was full of love and regrets, and I spoke with her about what I was and what my plan was, and she eventually agreed.  Even in her desperation to have a child - because she couldn't adopt at her age without a partner, you see - she still was wary of me.  It took me time to win her over.  She had to leave behind her extended family once she had you, and I pulled strings and charmed people to get her at the front of the queue."

Now Vincent looked at Owen, in appeal.

"As angry as you are at me, don't be at her.  She might not have birthed you, but she raised you, and has nothing but love for you.  All she wanted was a child to raise and love, a child who wouldn't die, as her husband did.  She's a woman who will always want the best for you.  She is your mother, in every way but the biological.  I haven't told her yet, that you know."
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2012, 10:27:20 PM »
Owen shrugged a shoulder, unforgiving in the face of such appeal.  "She went along with it.  She's as bad as you," he answered coldly, staring into the distance as he had been throughout Vincent's tale.  Before, there'd been some hope that what he'd pieced together while reading all those bits of paper was wrong, that somehow he'd misconstrued what he was seeing.  That hope was gone now and Vincent had revealed the premeditated manipulator that he truly was.

He had nothing to say about those others, the women who'd been in Vincent's life before him.  He'd loved them and that still made a twinge of jealousy flare in Owen, despite how hard all this was, but it was just another negative emotion to curl into his stockpile, at this stage.  More fuel for his righteous fire.