Author Topic: Opening Night  (Read 61677 times)

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
Re: Opening Night
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2012, 12:55:34 PM »
" 'Out of hand'?" the blonde repeated increduously, her throat tightening and her voice rising in volume. "You call that 'out of hand'? Sam, he just threatened half the humans out there with a gun and broke the front fucking door! I couldn't get security called fast enough on him! Now you're back here with this guy and I need some answers as to what the hell just happened?"

She had seen her fair share of barfights and brawls in her bar-hopping days but never had she had a dude pull out a gun. When she and her staff had seen it, they ducked behind the counter until the person left. Up until she walked in here she had no fucking idea that this punk was a vampire - let alone blood to Sam. She had no idea if Sam had been injured, whether it was Sam herself who had started shit (even as doubtful as that was), or what the hell had happened. Being in charge of the bars and staff in this place, she had a duty to at least try to keep everyone safe. With guns being tossed into the equation, her friend taking off with one of the kid's from the fight, and Sam's stupid sire just standing around jerking off as all this shit went down, how the fuck were they going to keep this shit calm now?

Soon some kind of hammer would fall and Levvy needed to be prepared just in case she were the nail on which it fell. Not to mention Sam was back her as if this were Risk again. Who would think what when they found Sam, the former barhead of Risk, back here with her?

Pierre was the next one to break off from the tour after Vincent and Owen had lead Vivianne off somewhere. Normally he would have considered sticking around until he found somewhere else to go or a pretty face that called out to him, but something else moved him away from the rest of the group and put a sort of spark in his walk. If this was the opening night of the biggest blood-bar in the city and it just so happened to be in Vomas' district, then there was very little doubt that Vomas wouldn't be here himself to celebrate. Hell, he wouldn't even be surprised if all of the other district leaders were here as well - especially Kerr. For that reason he almost wished Damien and Jenella had come with him to the opening of Venture.

Oh well.

He had every intention of wandering his way back to the bar to pick up a glass of blood, but found his way obscured by a mass of humans who seemed to be whispering excitedly about something - by the sounds of it, it was some small scuffle. Pierre followed the turned heads to see little more than nothing at all, shrugged to himself and gave up on any hope of getting anything right now. He searched around for an empty seat for a few moments, figuring that it would be only a matter of minutes before the humans cleared off and the excitement of the night turned back to alcohol and fuckery. But he was wrong.

Before he was able to seat himself, the blood warming his burned flesh just enough to let him bend enough to begin to sit, there were a few screams. The Frenchman shot his gaze over at the place of the screams in just enough time to see a flicker of steel and the glass door shattering. More rounds of screaming left him craning his neck. Appearantly this wasn't just some small scuffle after all. Across the bar, he noticed a member of the Sacrementum, the French woman whose name he didn't know. He took a sip of blood and watched her stare and then make her way past him with two vampires - Jake McCloud and someone who looked vaguely familiar - in her tow. Now that was certainly interesting.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2012, 03:28:11 PM »
Jake was frightened by the additional presence of Jeanne. He knew her by sight, but had not met her in person. In fact, she had been on Jake's list of people to speak too; although under drastically different circumstances. Jake had already failed to sway The Sacrementum to put Ventrue in the city center due to his political allegiances. Now, his ward had made a fool of himself and a fool of Jake. The Ventrue did not bother hiding his shame and anger towards Scott from the mind of Jeanne if she chose to read it. Besides, she was over a thousand years older than him. If she wanted she could tear it from his brain in mere minutes.

Jake knew Conner would not fail to follow and so he did not look at his friend after Jeanne made her request. He simply put one foot in front of another and walked towards what he suspected would not be a pleasant meeting. As Jake sat on the sofa closest to Conner he made eye contact with Jeanne. His expression was one of apology. He kept quiet and and waited for Jeanne to speak. Although Jake had a knack for having a loose tounge with older vampires, the wisdom of his people whispered softly into his ear, Keep quiet or she'll tear Scott and you limb from limb.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bryant rolled his eyes dispassionately at Sam's words. She was, in his opinion, full of shit on the present subject. He kept his lips tight, fearing he might say something he'd really regret. Sam could be odd, but Bryant understood that she had a caring disposition. That was a precious commodity to him. Levinia's entrance was not unnoticed. He was clean of blood at this point, and his nose was healing rapidly due to the blood. Her description of Scott's behavior made him chuckle, although less than he had at Sam's first words of sympathy. Scoot really did sound like a mad man the way Levinia described him. Bryant could not resist incriminating his oppressor a bit more and so responded before Sam could apologize for Scott. 

"All of that was because I kissed his boyfriend who happens to be my sire." He finished his "Red Apple" and tossed the ash. "I'm Bryant by the way. We weren't properly introduced." He smiled coyly to the bar mistress and put his thumbs in his belt loops.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2012, 04:31:59 PM »
Jeanne stared at Conner first, mainly because he'd sat directly opposite her - albeit with a table between them - and she'd not had much to do with him.  From what she could glean, he'd been at the epicentre of the trouble, though, which made him her primary interest.  When Jake sat, her gaze slid off Conner and to him.  The silence hung between them and she savoured it, taking the time to regather any influence she might be having on them or the room and containing herself momentarily.  As she watched Jake, however, the message she'd been instructed to deliver to him became embittered and she knew she wouldn't be able to do it justice at this moment.  Not with the mockery that had been made of the club; she only hoped Charon would understand.

"I was asked, Mister McCloud, to personally express deepest regret on behalf of the Sacramentum that we could not accommodate your efforts to include our club in your district.  Regrettably, only one choice could be made and we opted to position ourselves elsewhere.  I was to make it clear that this positioning was, in no way against you and that we expect to continue amicable relations with you in the future, accommodating you with the highest priority we are able to manage, should you require assistance," she told him with an intensity that was driven by Charon's passion and goodwill, not her own, her expression earnest.  When she fell quiet, her lips pursed, she sat back a little and she deliberately gazed at Conner, allowing Jake to acknowledge if he wished - but the way her commentary had finished on an upward, unfinished inflection no doubt told him there was more coming.

"This goodwill - towards you - stands, but I must say that what I just witnessed has sorely tested my... generosity.  Would one of you please explain exactly what I did just witness?" she instructed, her accent flavouring her words prettily as always, but the ice in her tone and her eyes declaring that she was not impressed.  And she wanted answers.

Offline realworldweirdo

• Scribe
  • Improvement via destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2012, 10:46:04 PM »
Conner took the initiative. He didn't know for certain how experienced Jake was with dealing with angry authority figures, but he considered himself something of a savant at, just barely, keeping himself from getting too far into trouble. With one notable exception. That experience told him that something to never, ever do was try to waffle or, worse yet, manipulate the situation. Just keep clear, keep your explanation simple, and try to show the value of your actions if they had any. Jake was direct and even aggressively apolitical by the standards of his clan, but he was still a Ventrue, and they meddled. So he spoke first, his anger and frustration coloring his voice.

"In simplest terms," he ground out, trying to maintain a respectful and controlled tone despite the overwhelming desire to shout about Scott and Bryant's immaturity "What happened was a shamefully escalated confrontation between my lover," the look on his face indicated his feelings on that situation rather clearly "and our fledgling. Bryant, our fledgling who was at the bar with us, chose an inopportune moment to briefly kiss me. I assume Scott saw him do so, and proceeded to" act like an utter imbecile he thought behind his barriers "react inappropriately."

It was by far one of his better presentations in a stressful situation, but it was bitter and accusatory even then. He glanced at Jake, wondering if he would elaborate further, or if Jeanne would respond first. Conner's hands had balled into fists on his knees, his mouth thin and tight from the tension that made his posture rigid in the comfortable chair.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2012, 10:43:08 AM »
Under normal circumstances Jeanne's word's would have been most welcome to Jake. It raised his opinion of the old family significantly to know that they cared about his feelings and respected him. However, the present matter dulled the good will, and seemed rather like a brightly wrapped gift box with nothing inside. Jake nodded assent and murmured thanks as Jeanne spoke of her intentions towards him. He thought that if he could just make this horrible circumstance pass he might gain a valuable set of friends and allies. Still, the matter at hand was not yet buried and it required his full attention.

As Conner spoke, Jake kept his gaze on Jeanne to see how she processed his words. Conner's telling of what transpired was fairly accurate, although he was downplaying the severity of what Scott had done. Jake waited until it was clear that they both wanted him to add something. Conner's lack of an apology stuck out to Jake like a sore thumb.

"That's about the truth," Jake said with a a formal and apologetic air. "But Conner you're understating the situation. Scott behaved like a foolish, irresponsible animal. I truly don't see how anything he did in response to Bryant's little slip up was warranted. I'm ashamed of him and you" he turned his gaze directly to Conner, "shouldn't neglect to show your shame as I'm sure you feel it."

He turned back to Jeanne. "I apologize for this grievous breach of you, Vomas's and your families hospitality."

He bowed his head slightly, but not so much as to lose eye contact with Jeanne. He was hoping that she would be merciful given his sincere and total apology.       
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2012, 11:54:48 AM »
Sam's skin complexion had a greyish hue, she looked like someone who was having a massive heart attack and it was at this moment she wished vampires could have heart attacks. Sam took a step back as she felt her knee's going to jelly when Levinia had informed Sam of her brother's gun mishap in the bar and she couldn't believe he was so stupid to threaten anyone in this club. She may not have been a staff member anymore but she still considered this place her home the people that she worked with here were her family. She purposely ignored her nephews introduction as she was sure that Levinia would do the same as they both knew this was no time for introductions, she collected herself with her hands neatly crossed in front of her lap. Mentally she ignored that sickening feeling that that was physically obvious that this night was really taking a toll on Samantha as she really didn't look like a healthy vampire and she was sure Levinia could see through her the poker face that she was trying to put on right now.

"I am sorry Levinia I had no idea that my 'step' brother did such a thing. I was already back here with Bryant and Scott will regret threatening the people I call family!" She sounded like a feral dog, she was so angry at everyone tonight. "It all started out just fine. I was by Jake's side at the bar while Jake was talking to this Johnathon fellow, Bryant and Conner where having a conversation all to themselves. Then Bryant, Scott and Conner's fledgling get's the idea that it's okay to kiss Conner who is also my brother's long time lover." Oh Levinia would just love that one, this was all over a lover's quarrel with a twist." Next thing I know Scott comes flying out of nowhere and fucks up my nephews face with a single punch. He must have scene the kiss and he freaked out. I didn't do anything I just saw everything go down." She took a long drag off her smoke, thank god for king sized cigarettes she needed a fix and this was doing nicely. She still looked like shit but she kept her calm as she owed respect to Levinia which right now was the only reason she was staying so calm.

"Conner trusted me with Bryant and he sent me off to look after his injuries like he owns the fucking place. Brett brought me to the back break room because I crushed a drinking glass that I had in my hand when all this shit hit the fan. I was appalled, shocked and embarrassed."

Brett stepped into the room as he had been listening and had a worried look on his face, "I'll take blame for bringing them both back here Levinia I just didn't know where else to take Sam she's family to me," he gave Levinia an apologetic bow.

Sam was thankful for his input but she was still choked up about what had gone on in this place, "Now I'm here cleaning up the other side of this mess, a mess that's not even mine! Scott gave out a punishment that didn't fit the crime nor did it fit the appropriate time to deal with it. Worst of all he was stupid enough to threaten the bar staff I once governed. You're right this didn't just get out of hand I retract my statement. The situation might as well be described as going fucking postal!" Her anger was starting to come back, this wasn't suppose to happen at all tonight and the thought that Scott pulled a gun out on the people she worked with was more than enough to make Samantha sick. She felt as if no-one in her family right now cared about what she wanted and that made her even more angry and truth be told at this moment she really wanted just someone to realize that this would be hard for Samantha for some time.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2012, 12:10:46 PM »
Conner's explanation was enlightening; Jake's was appeasing.  As her gaze travelled stonily from one to the other, Jeanne's body was much like a marble statuette but inside, oh, inside she was so much more malleable.  Fledglings and lovers at odds with their sires... she understood this as well as any vampire, had lived the shame these two were feeling, bled love for much the same cause.  Thankfully, her indiscretions weren't on such a global scale, but that very fact had also lent them a profundity she was still struggling to come to terms with.  Understanding didn't make the situation any less caustic, but it brought about sympathies she hadn't expected to feel.

"I accept your apology," she told Jake graciously, then looked at Conner, "and appreciate your candour.  This is a case of private laundry aired inappropriately and I trust that you two will deal with the... intimate side of things as you see fit."  She paused, her gaze drifting between the two of them the only movement visible in her rigidly-held posture.  They, with their advanced hearing, would likely be able to detect that her voice was vibrating with far less antagonism during these words of accession, that her anger had abated.  Her next words were spoken with icy authority, though.

"I, however, am forced to deal with the public perceptions of this altercation.  I'm sure you understand that neither the club nor the family can afford to treat the incident flippantly, lest we signal to our patrons that inappropriate behaviour - breaches of our hospitality, as you say - are acceptable.  Clearly, they are not.  Given Venture's unique service in catering for the needs of young vampires who might not otherwise find somewhere to feed in safety it's unfortunate, but we cannot have such mêlées disturbing the sanctity of the club for patrons who deserve its benefits.  I propose banning both parties ad infinitum."

A blink occurred after her declaration, and then Jeanne simply waited, watching.  She doubted that her wording - 'I propose' - would be lost on the two of them and this was a concession she felt obligated to make.  Both of these men held positions of power in the city's political schema.  It would be foolish to offend them both by cutting their loved ones adrift - or even their friends, as it seemed Jake had no direct affiliation with the transgressors of the trouble - without giving them the chance to negotiate something a little less... permanent.  In doing so, they'd be made to realise that they were being shown favour where it wasn't expected, nor necessary.  The two vampires deserved to be banned for their immortal lives, but if the sentence didn't extend quite so far into eternity... well, the Sacramentum's magnanimity would have to be acknowledged, wouldn't it?

Offline realworldweirdo

• Scribe
  • Improvement via destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2012, 11:40:47 PM »
Belatedly, Conner realized that Scott's relationship to Jake wasn't necessarily known. He hadn't mentioned it either. Would it look like he was trying to cause trouble for Jake if he brought it up now? Would it matter? Either way, he'd been doing a marvelous job of keeping control of himself, but it just seemed to hone the edges of his next statement.

"I'm grateful for your understanding," he said simply, and his relief was genuine and visible. "I'll see to Bryant's discipline privately, as you've suggested, and ensure he doesn't cause any future problems for Sacramentum." He inhaled, which unfortunately made his next statement seem all the more deliberate as his eyes shifted back to Jake. "Scott is the perpetrator of the damage to the club," he pointed out. "As his sire, will you be compensating Sacramentum for the damages?" In Conner's mind, a sire was responsible for the vampires under their guardianship whether the bond was blood or adopted. There was simply no need to indicate the issue of Scott's original sire's death, but as soon as the words were out of his mouth, he realized how they sounded.

That was stupid, he scolded himself behind his defenses.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2012, 12:46:36 AM »
Jake was horrified. He'd been hoping to get out this situation without the knowledge that he had bound Scott to his charge. When it had been done so, things were very different. Scott's sire had just met his death at the hands of assassins, Scott was an orphan. Jake felt the only appropriate thing to do was to bring Scott into the fold. He'd done his best to contain Scott; to teach him, to love him. But almost as soon as Jake had brought him in, he'd begun his romantic relationship with Conner. It was Conner who was with him night after night, not Jake. Conner's words came out like a carefully laid snake trap. How dare he try and pin his inability to control his lover on Jake!

Still, they were in the company of Jeanne. It was true that the knowledge that Scott belonged to Jake's house was commonly known and easily accessible. The Oligarchy had approved the binding long before Jake was even an Oligarch. However, Jake felt like relying on that to justify his absence of acknowledgement in this situation would sit sour in Jeanne's ears. Jake felt himself betray the smallest of uncomfortable glances at Conner before returning his eyes to Jeanne.

"I will be sending a cheek for whatever the Sacramentum deems worthy of reparation. And as to your proposition Jeanne I agree with it in regards to"  the next pair of words were said with great dificulty and stifled rage "my child. But I hope you'll grant Conner's child Bryant some clemency. His only crime is being in love with the person who's blood made him, and I feel most vampires have made the mistake of making that love sexual before, don't you think Conner." He turned his gaze to face his friend, his eyes betraying his anger towards him.

"And one more thing my good lady," he said turning back to Jeanne. "I can assure you that, my chid will be punished by me for his actions, severely."

The last sentance although directed at Jeanne was meant for Conner. You want to try and fuck me in front of the Sacramentum, well we'll see how you like when I take it out on your precious lover Jake thought behind his teeth. His mental defenses were only partially up, so anybody who was focusing on him at that moment might detect his anger towards Conner but nothing more.     
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Saccharin

« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2012, 04:52:09 PM »
“If you were in my district,” Vomas answered, the corner of his mouth hitching upwards as if someone had snagged a fishhook there. “Since you’re not, you could make yourself known to the City Ward Director... Conner. He’s here tonight.”

He was still unsure how much he could trust the former Head of Spies, and disliked the idea of sending Ben to him, but he had no grounds to object. Yet. There had been some unsavory business being conducted at Jake’s behest when they’d all been employed by Kerr, but he didn’t know how much influence his fellow District Leader now had on the City Ward, if any. He would have an opportunity to broach the subject when Conner visited the Towers, and if he didn’t receive straight answers from the Tremere, there were always... alternate ways to gather them.

His back stiffened and he pursed his lips when very suddenly a most unwelcome set of fingers began prying at his mental defenses. He wrapped his fingers around the cool metal of the railing that curved next to him, and then his eyes became unfocused as he went inwards and then away to communicate with another.

I don’t have time for this, he sent, annoyance rolling off him in waves.

Brother/Senan/Trouble

What?

You/Trouble

Not now, Halwyn.

But-

NOT NOW, he blasted, causing Halwyn to retreat from him (though he didn’t escape before he was singed by the lava and fire that cascaded after his words). He slammed his defenses in place again and then refocused on the vampire in front of him.

“Forgive me. Where are you living, now?” he asked Ben evenly, releasing his hold on the rail and folding his hands in front of him.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2012, 04:43:29 PM »
Jeanne was both surprised and mildly perturbed by the undercurrents at play in the room; the fact that Scott belonged to Jake seemed a point for greater tension than was warranted by this situation alone.  On the surface, however, she could only assume it had to do with tonight's display and that was reinforced when Jake insisted he would severely punish the fool who'd disturbed the peace of their opening night and threatened the mortal members of the club.  She appreciated the gesture and recognised it for the intent in which it was delivered; a reassuring and appeasing gesture.  She thought even Charon would be impressed.

The ancient inclined her head to acknowledge Jake's 'one more thing' before she spoke, her eyebrows artfully raised to show her surprise.  "You would argue a lesser sentence for Conner's childe?" she clarified, wanting it to be clear to whom she was doing this favour.  If it were to be Bryant, she'd expected it to be the City Ward requesting her leniency, due to the connection of his bloodline, yet it was Jake who was appealing on Bryant's behalf.  She found she was somewhat enjoying tweaking the threads of this web to see what might come crawling towards her.  "What terms do you propose?" she enquired austerely.

While she listened to his offer, a part of her mind wandered.  She didn't put enough energy into the travel to communicate, rather what she did was alight on a few of the easier-to-read (mortal) minds out in the main area, to get a glimpse through their eyes of what they were physically seeing.  Because they were talking about Bryant, it occurred to her that she didn't know what had happened to him, for she'd led his guardians away quickly.  The danger had been quelled when Scott had left, the victim... trusting instinct (or perhaps it was residual thought that she couldn't help absorbing) she found him in a private area of the club - an area for staff no less - when she alighted invisibly on Levinia's mind.  Jeanne's lips thinned imperceptibly as she saw Sam with Bryant and Brett doing nothing that looked constructive, to her.  Angrily, she pulled away and focussed on Jake again, ready to ask for more clarification on that when the time came, too.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
It wasn't the easiest task for Levvy to listen without reacting the way she wanted to. It was a bit of relief to know that neither party standing in front of her was guilty of anything as far as she could tell. Still, it complicated things. If it were up to her, she would have gone into another back room and looked for a spare shirt like Sam had asked for. Unfortunately for both Sam and Bryant, this was opening night and she knew there were many sets of eyes on her every action - from the staff that she had tried to calm after Scott had flashed his piece, to the Sacrementum who were no doubt wondering how she was going to handle this situation as the new head bartender. Levvy knew very well that Sam had no place being back here with her nephew or whoever he was - the kid looked like he was almost Levvy's age and it was a bit difficult for her to wrap her head around that whole vampirism dilemma that appearances were just that - and, quite frankly, she didn't want either of them back here. The simple fact of the matter was that though they may have connections to Jake and to any number of other vampires who may have had power in the city, they weren't staff, Vomas, or members of the Sacrementum. Brett should have understood this as well. Now it was Levvy's head on the block and if the two vampires were allowed to linger in here anymore that ax would be heading for her own neck.

She waved Brett on impatiently, knowing that she'd have a long word with him later. The most important things now were to keep face and resort to her training. She bit her tongue hard, knowing that she could seriously regret what she was about to do, but did it anyway.

"Regardless, Sam, you both need to move this elsewhere," the blonde said with her face set as hard as she could fake. She had sympathy and if nothing else leaked from her expression at least that much was evident. But rules were rules and even she needed to follow them. This wasn't Risk anymore and Sam wasn't in charge - Levinia was. "I can't have either of you in the backrooms anymore." She stepped off to the side to show them the door she had previously been blocking, hoping with the swelling of discomfort in her gut and the bits of sweat that were pushing their way out of her pale skin that she wouldn't have to ask more than once. "I have a frightened staff and clientelle to deal with and this whole thing," her fingers circled the two vampires and paused midstride to emphasize (rather needlessly, she realized in retrospect) their inappropriate placement in the back room, "can't happen here. Like, at all." The human bit her tongue again hoping that the others would understand her bluntness as necessity and not out of anger. She really didn't want to bring up Sam's lack of privilege right now.

"Why don't you both go out to the bathroom and go clean up a bit? I mean, you don't need, like, medical attention, right?" There was an honest sense of concern and worry in her voice, but she had many fish to fry right now and any patience that hadn't been scared off was wearing thin. As long as Sam and Bryant were physically ok right now, she needed to move on to her next challenge - checking on her staff and alerting whoever needed to be alerted about all the broken glass and the vampire who had left it.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 24, 2012, 03:34:22 PM »
Jake spoke quickly to avoid any more choice words from Conner. He'd spoken enough for one meeting with an elder, and had proven himself untrustworthy. Still, Jake enjoyed Jeanne's interest in his sympathy for Bryant. He had no problem with the young vampire, save for him reminding Jake of their brief sexual encounter, and even that was just annoying at it's more severe. He refrained from giving Conner eye contact, body language, or any such contact that would acknowledge his presence. He and Jeanne were now the only people in the room as far as Jake was concerned.

"Since the vampire pup can't seem to control his more lustful impulses I say ban him for, say a year, unless he comes with Conner to supervise his behavior. If I were banning him from feeding on humans I'd instill a similar punishment. It's a sort of warning when you think about it."

Jake then inclined his head. "Of course, if you feel a more severe punishment is due I'm sure Conner will not hesitate to carry it out." He said the above with humility and sympathy. His mental guards were now fully raised and he could not help but feel as though his mention of Conner was a passive aggressive swipe against his friend for his earlier comment. Even if it was, Jake considered that Conner deserved it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bryant was in a true state of not knowing what the hell to do. Sam had pissed him off. This Levvy chick was all pissed for his being back here, and there seemed to be some power struggle between her and Sam. Bryant saw something in Levvy of needing to prove herself, and something in Sam of a fear of obsoleteness. He felt like a woman from a story he'd read in high school. It was a story from his greek mythology class. He remembered as the two girls spoke back and forth that there was a woman who could see the future but was cursed by the gods to not be taken seriously by anyone she spoke to. Bryant often felt like his observations of human nature were wasted, for who would believe the slutty club twink could have any insight into the human condition? He kept his opinions about both girls to himself, for he was sure neither wanted their respective shit pointed out to the other. It was a shame Bryant though that this was his frist time meeting Levvy, for there was something in her manner that seemed likable. Still, first meetings are what the are, and no amount of wishing would make this first meeting any different. He found it funny that he had gone from attacked, to patronized, to attacked, to patronized again in Levvy's suggestion to clean himself up in a bathroom. He was clean enough. The blood still on his body was Scott's fault, not his. As to his needing a shirt, Bryant didn't mind his exposed torso, and doubted many men on the dance floor would either. Still, it seemed that clothing was being deemed needed by all other parties and if a shirt was produced he decided to wear it. This night was a wash, and in that spirit Bryant said the only logical thing.

"Why don't I just leave? I mean, nobody seems to want me here." Without waiting for a response from either girl he exited the back room and went looking for Conner to take him home.           
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 25, 2012, 06:55:23 AM »
Sam could see what Levinia was trying to do and she couldn’t blame her friend for doing her job. Sam heard the hardness in her voice but Sam could also see the sympathy on Levinia’s face. Her friend was right Sam shouldn’t have been back here with Bryant. She felt so screwed up right now and when she went to go answer Levinia’s question she was cut off by Bryant. He left the room quickly and a lump jumped into her chest as there was no way Bryant was leaving her side right now.

Sam dashed past Levinia giving her a warm compassionate smile, this night was a total shit show and Sam was now regretting that she didn’t stay at home. Sam felt light headed the minute she started to move and she prayed that she wouldn’t faint in the club. She caught up to Bryant quickly and she grabbed his hand pulling him in close for a hug. She understood what he was feeling right now and she wasn’t about to let those feelings remain inside Bryant’s head. 

“That is not true. I want you here with me,” she whispered in his ear. She gave Bryant a final squeeze before letting him go from her embrace. Her words we’re sincere towards Bryant as she looked at him with warm and apologetic eyes.

“Can you come and sit down with me? I don’t feel well at all and we can wait for the other’s they will find us.” Sam would have asked for a glass of blood at the bar but she was pretty sure that ship had sailed. Sam grabbed Bryant’s hand and gave him a smile as she wanted him to lead her to where he wanted to sit.

Jake please come get me, I’m not feeling well at all. She felt even more light headed after she sent the message and the flashing lights in the club weren’t making it any better. All she wanted to do was to sit down and let Jake and Conner find them in the Venture. She was pretty sure everyone at this point wanted to go home and start on the process of forgetting this awful night.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 25, 2012, 08:18:56 PM »
Vomas intimidated him.  He'd always intimidated him, but at the same time Ben kind of felt comfortable with him.  The few and very rare times he'd ever interacted with Vomas in the years he'd lived at the Oligarchy penthouse had been met with respectful interest, polite but minimal conversation, and the familiar but incorrect notion that Vomas' character rested somewhere between Kerr and Sotiris.  His dark looks resembled neither but the colouring fit both, the fact he had an Irish background leant towards Kerr but his mannerisms and the way he held himself spoke strongly of the Ancient that Ben had fallen for in New York.  Vomas was the perfect mix of familiarity and unknown.  He felt a bit absurd around Vomas, imagining all of the nasty things Sam might've said about Ben behind his back, and wondering how much Vomas believed.  Was Ben now an inconvenience, because his one connection to Vomas had been neatly extinguished?

The words were contrary when they came.  Ben felt even more foolish thanks to the amusement he thought he could read on Vomas' face thanks to his inane question.  The invitation to make himself known to Conner felt like he was being dismissed, and Ben would've scurried away except further questions stayed his feet.  Being asked where he was living after seeing that weird look on Vomas' face caused Ben to struggle with the undercurrent of information.  The expression was unreadable, and he wasn't even sure it was about him, but he was pretty sure it was annoyance.  Intense annoyance.  He didn't know Vomas well enough to know if he was reading him correctly, but he wasn't blind to body language and Vomas had seemed uncomfortable for an instant, and then he was in Ben's face about where he was staying.  Fuck, was Ben supposed to have moved out of Kerr's place out west?  Who was in control of the North West district?  Not a vampire, that was obvious.  So who, then?

"North west of the city, house on the cliffs... near the lighthouse."

Near the lighthouse was a bit of a stretch.  He could see its lamplight, though it was a far glow in the distance, and he was fairly sure mortal eyes wouldn't discern the subtle shifting play of light in the windowed rooms that looked out to sea on the side that had the lighthouse on it.

Vincent walked out with Vivianne on his arm as though the pair of them were old friends, though he stole a glance back at Owen to drop him a wink, as though they shared an inside joke.  He allowed Vivianne to remove herself from his space, and smiled at her as she wafted near him like an enchanting perfume.

"I believe we left before any escalation, though I do wonder about the elevators further up the corridor," he remarked, watching Vivianne brightly and then motioning for the two younger people to follow him upstairs.  "I've been admiring this staircase for a while.  Very Grecian," he said, and couldn't help but look at Owen once again because Greece held an important moment in their lives - bittersweet, in fact.  They were slowly headed across the lounge towards the staircase in question, unaware for the moment that Vomas and Ben had stopped halfway up it, for nobody had yet interrupted their impromptu chat.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :