Author Topic: Taking Measure  (Read 16187 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Measure
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 08:38:18 PM »
Vincent smiled at Owen, liking the fact he was being appeased, but knowing he shouldn't wholly accept the flattery.

"It's easy for both of us to think that way," he agreed, "which is dangerous for our relationship.  Already you've changed my perspective on the best kind of life for you, that you haven't finished growing as a person.  None of us really do.  I've become... self-satisfied, which only serves to arrest my development.  I believe the phrase is," he pulled a thoughtful face here, one that was somewhat exaggerated so Owen would get the point, "'I have to get out more'."  Then he laughed.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »
Owen smiled softly, his gaze roving Vincent's face as his thoughts swallowed him for a moment.  The fact that Vincent could say these things now was thrilling; that he understood Owen's perspective, could accept it and even work with him seemed almost too good to be true.  Perhaps it was, perhaps Vincent was just faking it until Owen forced him to acknowledge it, though he didn't think so.  These words... they felt like lip service, yes, but only because this was such a new discovery between them.

It was still very new for Vincent to see him as a young adult, despite the fact that he'd watched over him for twenty-three years.  Physical differences meant nothing when it came to emotional and intellectual ones, though; he'd got taller, broader, hairier, sure, but he still hadn't grown up.  That Vincent could look at him now and say, 'Yes, you need time to finish yourself' was marvellous.

Of course, the fact that he said no-one ever really finished growing didn't augur well for their relationship.  Owen was operating now on the belief that, after a while, he'd feel ready to stand at Vincent's side as a true equal, but what if him growing up meant them growing apart?  What if Vincent getting out more meant that he found someone he'd rather be out with more than Owen?  He could only suppose they'd have to take their chances... though it wasn't like they weren't still communicating or keeping in contact.  And who said Vincent getting out more meant it had to be with someone else anyway?

Owen grinned and turned to face Vincent, rolling towards him on the couch and hooking one leg over Vincent's to keep him balanced as he did his best to wrap his arms around his sire and nuzzle his face against his cheek.  He pursed his lips, planting little chirping kisses in amongst his words, keeping it fun and light despite the way getting closer to his lover made him feel.  "I agree.  I love that I can change your mind about things and I hope to do it more often.  If you need to get out more... perhaps you'd like to accompany me on a date sometime soon?" he murmured through his grin, finding it absurd that he was asking Vincent out on a date but also loving the power rush this reversal of their relationship dynamic gave him.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »
The fact Owen merely smiled instead of laughing with him helped Vincent to understand that Owen was giving this conversation the weight it deserved.  His laughter died down fairly quickly to a smile as he watched his fledge think everything through.  The smile changed and grew after a moment, as Owen placed himself intimately against him.  Vincent's heart flipped in his chest.  It might not beat, but it could still do aerobatics, along with tingling skin.  He wrapped his arm around Owen to keep him close, closing his eyes and savouring this moment.  He'd been allowed many moments like this when they'd been together, and he'd thought nothing of them beyond being a kind gesture.  Now he realised the love that drove them, and how much he needed them.

"A date?" he said with an answering grin.  "I would love to.  How soon is soon?" he replied, not making any suggestions as to when or where because he was enjoying their new roles too.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 12:29:56 PM »
"How about... tomorrow night you come in to the city, to the Capital.  I'll start the night with a tour of my apartment and then we'll go out... somewhere," he chuckled, his smooth delivery undone by the fact that he hadn't actually planned anything yet - but he would.  He found joy simply walking around the inner city and window shopping, watching the people scurry about and looking at the gardens and fountains in the park.  He'd do some of that with Vincent, but he thought it wise if he had more of a plan, if they went somewhere, like the art gallery or the performing arts complex.

It was a new start, after all, their first date.  He wanted to make a good impression, he wanted to be organised.  He'd been planning to call into the City Ward office on his way home tonight and apply for work but now that he'd come up with this brilliant idea, that plan would have to wait a few nights; he had an apartment to organise for presentation the next night, and a date to map out as well, as long as Vincent wasn't busy.

He leaned back and tilted his head to observe Vincent as he answered, trying not to think of how easy it would be to press forward and kiss him properly, or how handsome his face was up close like this (and failing, of course).  If his head and heart could be as free and forgiving as his hormones were, there'd be no need for separate houses and the charade of dates to ease them back in to a better relationship; thankfully, his hormones weren't going to get the better of him just yet... but that didn't mean they weren't present anyway.