Author Topic: Summer Song  (Read 13109 times)

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
Re: Summer Song
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 07:16:03 AM »
Zoheret\'s expression remained steady on him as he responded. How funny that he should mention something like that.

"Well, I wasn\'t planning on it, no," she began falling in love with the irony of the situation. Her smirk widened and she added saucily, "but if you\'re so insistant on it, I\'m sure I could make it happen." And she smiled wider at the boy, enjoying her own private joke. If he wanted to be tortured to death, all he needed to do was prove her wrong or say the wrong thing to her.

As much as she would have loved to talk more about how she could have tortured the human, she changed the subject rather quickly knowing that that wasn\'t the most suitable of conversations to have with a new toy.

"I have no intention of harming you, darling. My only wish is to try to understand you a bit more than what I have accomplished on the streets. You played with such passion, yet you have hardly anything to show for it. I\'d like to change that. If you accept my help, that is."

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 07:39:14 AM »
Mac opened his mouth to mention correct her understanding of his comment - he’d said he didn’t want that, but then he realised she was teasing him and he glanced away finally, to look out of the shaded window at the passing streets. He didn’t like being teased, but the last woman who had taken him home had sent the entire time giggling about little teasing comments like that, enjoying slumming it and making good use of every opportunity to point out her was worthless and she could have anything she wanted.

Apparently apart from a man who would spend time with her without being heavily bribed.

“How would you change it? And why?” Mackenzie asked, looking back towards the woman with a blank looking, hiding the suspicion he was feeling although she would probably be able to guess at his mood.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 08:24:26 AM »
She paused, looking at the human for a long moment. "Tell me, MacKenzie, do you believe in God?"

She hated God with all of her being. He was an intolerable idea looking down upon the world with a hypocritical eye. But her question was less religious and more informative, not that the young man would know that immediately. She was an Oligarch in a city of immortals, and he was a human about to enter the chambers of the most powerful organization in the city. Zoheret simply needed to have a better idea about what he knew about the immortal population. She knew what she was, but he did not, and appearantly it wasn\'t exactly legal in this city to simply announce oneself to the public as being this type of immortal or that.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 08:32:22 AM »
Aw fuck. He hated questions like this. People got so passionate about things like religion and it was a loaded question which could very well end up with him being chucked out of the car whichever answer he picked. So he decided he might as well go with the truth. The truth was easier to keep track of than lies.

“No. I’ve never seen a miracle, he’s never done anything for me. The people at the church are nice, giving out food sometimes, but other than that…” Mac shrugged before going on. “And I was raised by someone with completely different beliefs. He told me to make up my own mind and I haven’t yet,” he added with an instinctive gesture at the Native American style tattoo on his arm, part of which was visible under his t-shirt.

Mackenzie had never knowingly run into an angel before, and had no idea about a lot of the creatures in the city. He’d been fed from by vampires a couple of times, but didn’t seek them out.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 08:57:43 AM »
"Good. Me either," Zoheret said, not specifying to which part she was responding, shifting in her seat a bit and twittering her invisible wings. It was an honest answer, she supposed, but not the answer that mattered. Now, she could only assume that he wouldn\'t burst into tears like some Christian fool when she did -- if she did -- finally tell him.

"How long have you been living in this city? Are you a native here?" She paused and waited for his response before continuing. "I\'m not native to this country, let alone this city. I noticed when I first came here that there are a lot of interesting and..." she paused, searching for the proper wording -- curse these rules for being an immortal in the city -- because she couldn\'t give anything away, "... weird people. Have you ever noticed how many odd things happen in this city? Murders, disappearances, fires, power outages? Not to mention how there seems to be more people awake at night than during that day..." She was hoping that something that she had said would trigger him into talking about immortals. She hated Kerr\'s ridiculous rules on secrecy of her species.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »
“Yeah…” Mackenzie replied to her question about this being his home city. He’d lived here his whole life. He knew this place, why would he move? And he wasn’t about to spend money on an overpriced bus ticket.

His eyes stayed on her as she went on, trying not to let a flicker of worry cross his face. Fuck, was she one of them? A vampire? His eyes flickered down to her full lips, trying to spot any sign of fangs, but really he wasn’t all that sure what to look for. He’d been fed from, but never had a lengthy conversation with a vampire which would give him what he needed to know. Or maybe she was something else. He didn’t know any specifics, but one night he’d spotted a perfectly normal looking guy walking alone… but Mac was sure he’d seen a bright red tail poking out from the back of the guy’s jacket.

“I guess… there are some pretty weird things out there,” he said slowly. He didn’t know about the Oligarchy rules (and if he had known all about it, he would have said Zoheret could do what she wanted, she was an Oligarch, head of her race) but he didn’t want to go blurting out what he knew. No one wanted a crazy homeless guy in the back of their limo. And besides, Mac wasn’t exactly the bursting out with information kind of guy.

“You trying to tell me something?” he asked warily.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 01:22:50 PM »
A tight smile. "No, of course not." A light laugh. "Just... trying to make conversation." She was a tad dissappointed by his lack of knowledge of her species, of her powers, of her infamous name in heaven. This young human had no idea what kind of priviledge he was about to indulge in, bedding an angel. Not many human men could boast such a badge, and yet Mackenzie knew seemed to know little of his priveldge. It made Zoheret want to frown.

Ignoring the urge, she looked at the human with refreshened interest, leaning into the conversation and giving him a better view of her perfect cleavage. She wanted him burning for her like all of the others had and it didn\'t seem as though her charm had completely taken a hold of him.

"So, answer me something, if you please, Mackenzie. Where did you come by such a talent? I would assume that such an instrument hasn\'t been easy to come by in your... profession." If you could call it that.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 04:51:19 AM »
Fuck, he’d upset her. She may not have frowned, but that laugh and smile just weren’t quite all there and they didn’t reach her eyes.  What had she wanted? Him to blurt out a load of odd things that had happened to him? People generally didn’t want to hear what he had to say about anything, so Mackenzie had got used to keeping himself to himself and keeping answers to questions brief. In his experience women like Zoheret preferred to talk about themselves than listen.

But he wasn’t a whore professionally, he didn’t know all the tricks to keeping a woman happy, or a man. He was just himself and if she didn’t like it… well, he’d be on the streets again.

As she turned towards him, giving him a magnificent view, Mackenzie wasn’t sure whether or not he was supposed to look, so he allowed himself a quick glance before lifting his eyes to meet her beautiful hazel eyes. She was stunning, the perfect woman physically - so why the hell did she want him? Any man who enjoyed a woman’s form would be turned on by her, but Mackenzie just didn’t really know how to show it and was used to people not wanting him anywhere near him so he hid his feelings most of the time. He\'d never really burnt anyone as she wanted him to burn for her so she would have to try a little harder if she wanted that.

As she asked about his instrument Mackenzie stayed quiet for a moment. Adam was hard to explain and Mackenzie didn’t really want to go into it with a complete stranger. In brief, there was only one way he could describe him.

“My violin was a gift from my father. He taught me how to play. I guess I’m lucky that music is my talent. I can play by ear so I don‘t need to buy music,” Mackenzie said briefly, before turning the question back on his host.

“And yourself? May I ask what you do? Where do your talents lie?” he asked, gesturing towards the angel with clean fingers. Even if his clothes weren’t that clean, he tried to keep himself as hygienic as he could.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 04:09:50 PM »
Zoheret had heard him ask her about herself and her occupation and she purposely avoided the topic with a cooing response to his original statement about his father. How could she speak of a job that he couldn\'t know existed? It was a topic she hated to bring up with unknowing humans, knowing that they were going into her suite in the biggest governmental building in the city. "

Fascinating," she responded and almost meant it. "And so where is your father now? Was he in the same profession as yourself or was he an educated man?" She had no idea how the human might interpret the question as she inadvertently made the mistake of assuming that a man on the street was uneducated -- not that she cared enough to correct herself or her thoughts.

She assumed that he was some run-away son who had scorned his parents living, a boy who wanted something for his own and so he took to the streets to live. Quite frankly, she really didn\'t care about the boy\'s backstory -- it wouldn\'t change how he was going to be treated tonight in the least.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 12:46:05 AM »
“Profession? It can hardly be called that,” Mackenzie  replied, raising an eyebrow slightly, a hint of a smile playing on his lips. It sounded like she had a set of lines to say and no matter his response she would plough on with what she had planned to say, regardless of whether or not it was suitable.

“He was… educated, as you call it, but did what I do, and he’s dead now,” he added bluntly. It had been over ten years since Adam had died and Mackenzie had never made any attempt to find his mother after she’d abandoned him, and he knew it would be impossible to find out anything about his real father and he’d never had any desire to find out.

“So what’s next on your list of conversation topics to keep me from finding out anything about you?” Mac asked, gesturing slightly towards the angel, still with a lighthearted tone.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 07:50:23 AM »
Her lips remained steady as she politely gazed at the human. "What would you like to know?" He was quite brazen for a mortal. She would have found that attractive had his energy not been directed at her. Alas, these humans had no idea who they were really dealing with.

The car continued to move forward, closer and closer to her home. She could feel the driver\'s eyes on her, wondering about her intention for the night and especially with the company of this cherub from the side of the street. The streets were passing by steadily and the limosine nearly floated over the concrete and asphault. It would be only a few minutes before they arrived at the gates of the Oligarchy.

"I believe you wanted to know what I do." She thought for a moment, shifting her elegant self to flit her invisible wings which remained cramped as this human sat stinking up the vehicle. What she came up with was something as close to flat out telling the boy as she could get without actually letting the cat out of the bag. "I suppose you could say that I\'m a politician of sorts. I deal with many political and legal matters in this city concerning minorities."

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 06:55:59 AM »
Mackenzie’s chocolate brown eyes stayed fixed on the angel’s at her question, the smile still on his lips as he stayed silent. He wasn’t afraid of her, and as rude as she was, he didn’t care about it. It took a lot to make the young man really annoyed, and angry took even longer. He’d had enough shit thrown at him in his life that he knew not to let the little things get to him. Mackenzie had already asked his questions, she could answer them or not, it was her choice.

As she finally gave her response Mac settled back in his seat, resting his hands on the knee which was raised up on the seat between them. A politician? Well… he really hadn’t expected that. He thought she would be some sort of rich socialite, but then again wasn’t that what politicians did really?

“Minorities? Which minorities? Or is your job a fluid one? Just whoever needs your help? Such as homeless musicians?” he asked with a smile, wondering if he was a part of her job or simply a passing interest. She’d said she wanted to help him, but hadn’t said how, or given him much information at all.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »
"You could say that, I suppose," she responded with a tight grin. "I go where I need to in order to find my people all throughout this city. I suppose you could also say that those whom I protect wouldn\'t be very protected at all if I were to tell every homeless musician I happen across what it was exactly that I do. Therefore, I\'m sure you\'ll forgive my secretness and lack of explanation.

"In your case, however," she contiued, altering her tone to one more business-like, "I happened across your path by pure chance and you happened to peak my interest. I tend to have a soft spot for young men in a bit of a dilemma. I, unlike most of your current patrons, don\'t tend to ignore talent and beauty when falls so easily into my path." Sarai gave the boy a coy little smirk.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 04:46:19 PM »
“Fair enough,” Mackenzie said with a shrug as she explained her secretiveness. He didn’t buy it all though, how much protection could she be giving out which needed so much secrecy? Most politicians couldn’t wait to boast about their achievements. Either way, she clearly didn’t want to talk about it much and he knew he shouldn’t push his luck.

His smile grew as her tiny grin returned and he leant forwards a little without invading her personal space to talk.

“Talent and beauty? Well it must just be your lucky day,” Mackenzie said as the car pulled to a stop and he glanced around at the driver briefly before looking at the angel again with a smile. “Gotta say, I am looking forward to that hot shower,” he added.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 01:30:29 PM »
She found a bit of humor in his last statement and expressed it in a low snicker. "Good," was all that the Angel said in response as Ramiro opened up the door for her and held out his hand. You need it too, she thought privately.