Author Topic: A Reluctant Confession  (Read 18675 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
A Reluctant Confession
« on: March 19, 2013, 10:05:40 PM »
continued from A Reluctant Existence

BECAUSE HE WASN'T TALKING WHEN Owen pulled into the parking lot for the Capital, Ben's reaction was non-existant.  He was surprised, for there were a lot of memories for him in this building, but when a building such as this catered to their species, it made sense that it would attract a lot of vampiric tenants.  He wondered if Ichabod would feel that Ben was close, but didn't follow the tether of their blood bond to see if Ichabod was inside.  He had to actively do it in order to know, such was the weakness of their blood union.  Brothers were not like sire and fledge, and Ichabod had lost a greater union with Kerr as well, being his full fledge and not part-fledge, as Ben.  He clamped down on memories that would do nothing buy cycle (and they already had, for weeks and months), and focussed on the fact Owen had to drive down a few levels in order to reach his carparking space.  Ben was familiar enough with the layout of this building to understand this meant he wasn't on the upper floors, where all the really expensive apartments were.

They walked in relative silence to the lifts, and Owen pressed the button marked '2' instead of the ground floor, where the full bank of lifts were gathered in the centre of the building to sweep guests and tenants alike to their floors.  Ben was intrigued by these lifts, in a position he didn't know about - more to the corner of the building - and only travelled up the first twenty floors.  About halfway.  They exited on the second floor and Owen took him on the short walk to his apartment.  Ben only noticed the inside enough to feel like it wasn't finished.  There weren't all those little knick-knacks that people accumulated over years, and perhaps it was because the walls felt more bare than Kerr's place.  Now Ichabod's place.

He was invited to sit, and Ben asked for a towel.  Owen disappeared for a moment and returned with one, that Ben put on the seat of the lounge before sitting on it.  He didn't lean back, but he didn't feel relaxed enough to either.  He stayed sitting forward with his elbows on his knees (now not hurting at all, he hadn't even thought about them until now), and was prompted by Owen's demand.

"Okay, tell me your side of the story."

It was matter of fact, not spoken with any hostility, but there was something in the tone that Ben imagined was judgmental anyway.  Owen didn't expect to hear anything wildly different to what he'd imagined.  Just as well, because Ben didn't have anything for him.  He looked at Owen intently as he spoke, all the better to read his face as he began to explain.

"Vincent's a really good listener.  You don't feel judged by him, even though he does.  I needed someone to listen, and he gave me the chance to tell it all.  Talking about Kerr made him feel close to me, so I kissed Vincent.  I can't tell you why, other than I wish I hadn't done it.  He says I did it to sabotage myself.  Maybe he's right, I don't know,"  he looked away and spoke to his knees.  "It's certainly looking that way."
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: A Reluctant Confession
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:25:34 PM »
Owen wore a frown and no other real expression as he listened to Ben.  Their ride here had been blessedly silent, giving Owen time to concentrate on his driving and think about how he'd tell Ben to start talking.  He'd been slightly annoyed that he'd been asked for a towel before he had a chance to go and get one - as he was planning - because he didn't get the opportunity to play host much and he'd decided during the drive that it would be his first nice gesture towards his guest.  Being asked for the towel just blew all that goodwill away and made him feel like he was lacking as a host, even though Ben was only trying to be sure he didn't wreck his new couch.

He'd gone to the bathroom and pulled off his coat and jumper before towelling his own hair dry and getting a new one from the cupboard.  When he emerged, he was barefoot, wearing his jeans and a short-sleeved plaid button down shirt with cornflower blue as its dominant colour; he'd worn it for Vincent's benefit, because it matched his eyes.  He'd pushed that dream aside as he'd headed out to the lounge and taken up a seat on the chaise outcropping of the couch, perpendicular to Ben so he could see him better.  He was also sitting forward, his elbows on his knees and his hands grasped thoughtfully together while he listened and watched.

"Yeah, well, for all his hundreds of years, Vincent's not exactly a genius when it comes to people and their motives, so I wouldn't take it too much to heart," Owen observed wryly, thinking about how spectacularly Vincent had misread many of the situations in his own life and in Owen's.  "You didn't kiss him because you wanted to sleep with him?" the fledgling continued suspiciously, his more casual tone disappearing immediately.  "It wasn't because you think he's sexy?"

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 10:53:14 PM »
Kerr hadn't been a genius either, when it came to Ben, but there was something about Vincent that had made him feel wiser to Ben, somehow.  Maybe it was because he'd waited out his silence or averted commentary instead of growing frustrated and angry with him, like Kerr had used to.

Ben was momentarily struck silent at this new line of questioning.  He looked at Owen with a dumbfounded expression on his face, unsure how to respond.  Eventually his confusion gave way to a frown as he thought back over.

"Uhhh-m, I wasn't thinking about sleeping with him," Ben said, and shifted uncomfortably at the idea of it.  He half went to sit back but remembered himself and returned to his former position.  "He asked me if I wanted him as a replacement for Kerr, and it rubbed me the wrong way.  I don't know what would've happened if he'd... um... if he hadn't pushed me away," he said, his voice growing soft and hurried at the last declaration, because it embarrassed him, to talk about such things with Owen.  "I'm in a place right now, where I don't really know what I'm doing."  He shook his head and made a disgruntled noise.  "Fuck, that sounds lame.  I mean... I know what I'm doing, I just... " he shrugged.  "Don't feel like me.  It was so clear, the path I was on, with him.  Now that he's gone, everything is... muddy.  Vincent made me feel like me, again."  Ben released a single soft breath of laughter, which was humorless.

So the first thing you did, Benny-boy
When you started feeling like yourself again
Was to kiss a man you knew belonged to another
And probably would've fucked him if he'd wanted to
Well done

No way he was going to tell Owen that, but he had no explanation for his laugh.  He figured it could just stay there, at the end of his explanation.  It wasn't like Owen could hear what was going on in his head - not when he was locked up tight.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 07:36:55 AM »
Owen noticed that Ben didn't respond to his question about how attractive Vincent was, just about the not sleeping with him.  He supposed that was fair, because for all Ben knew, admitting to Owen that he found his husband attractive might make him angry again and he likely didn't want to get attacked (not that Owen would, but Ben didn't know that, thanks to his boorish behaviour at the coffee shop).  The rest of Ben's commentary just washed Owen down with irony and slapped him in the face with cold realisation.

He laughed when Ben did, though his went on longer and was more obviously bitter.  "It doesn't sound lame.  Welcome to exactly where I am," Owen adopted a falsely cheerful smile and opened his arms to indicate his apartment, glancing around at it for good measure before he looked back at Ben, indicating him with a casual hand on his emphasised word.  "Except, of course, that the man that gave you clarity was the very one that turned me inside out and flipped my world upside down.  But we're in the same place, you and I."

As soon as he said it, his smile faded and he felt guilty, because they weren't really in the same place.  Owen could return to the man he loved, could forgve him and be with him, where Ben didn't have that option.  "I'm sorry, I don't mean to make light of your situation," he said sincerely, shaking his head at himself.  "It's just kind of ironic.  I also have no idea what I'm doing but... I get so angry, still.  I never used to be like this, I was always happy but now... it's my go-to reaction, for anything.  Mix it with jealousy and you have a complete asshole pushing people around on the street, blinded by this... this rage that just... just lurks inside me waiting for an excuse to lash out at someone," he explained, his voice filled with ragged emotion and his hands describing knotted, twisted fists of fury, clenched in front of his chest as he looked at the carpet, like the perfect description for his feelings might be read from there.

He dropped his hands and looked at Ben, his expression apologetic and raw.  "I'm really sorry I did that," he said sincerely.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »
As Owen gestured around him, Ben was frowning.  The other vampire must've picked up on his expression and read it correctly, because he was soon apologising for his levity.  He spoke about being angry, and though Ben could understand it, it wasn't really him.  Not manifesting it outwardly, anyway.  He'd been hostile, and he'd even been vengeful and petty - but he'd never been physical like Owen had.  Perhaps he should've; maybe it would help him to get all the anger out instead of letting it stew and fester inside of him.  Ben shook his head at the last, not to deny Owen his explanation, but gesturing that it wasn't needed.  The action had got them here, after all.

"What did he do?" Ben asked, wanting to know and respecting Vincent too much to ever ask him directly.  Maybe, with Owen feeling like sharing, he might get the full story, if nothing else.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »
It was a startling question to hear, both because he felt Ben and Vincent were close enough that Vincent would have shared (even though he'd asked and he knew it hadn't happened) and also because no-one had ever asked him that question.  He'd never had a chance to share his story with anyone because he'd internalised it all.  The two people he was closest to in all the world had been part of the conspiracy, so he'd had no-one to tell.  It was odd to have Ben ask and his expression likely looked a little dumbfounded - but pleased.

"Well, uh," Owen began awkwardly, blinking a few times as he tried to figure out where to start this story.  Only his part was relevant now, but understanding Vincent's background was also sort of important.  He'd have to paraphrase.  "Vincent's sire was named Lorica and he loved her dearly.  They were together for... hrmm, a couple of centuries, I think, before a woman he was sleeping with conspired to burn the house Lorica was in down.  When his sire died, Vincent blamed himself and he was terribly lonely.  He took in a young mother and her child to live with him, craving company, but when he told the woman he was a vampire, she lost the plot and he had to keep wiping her mind.  Eventually, he destroyed her mind altogether but her daughter was always accepting of him.

"She grew up and got married but Vincent believed that, if he found a child young, he could shape them to understand what he was and create a companion for himself, so he wouldn't be so lonely.  As it turned out, he tried it numerous times with no success - until me.  When I was growing up, I believed my mother had deeply loved my father and he died and that Vincent was my father's best friend.  He was always around, ever since I could remember, and I loved him like he was my father.  I used to daydream that Vincent would marry my mother and we'd be a proper family," he grinned, genuinely bemused by this ironic memory.

"I found out about him being a vampire when I was about sixteen and I was cool with it, because my mother was.  Vincent's always taken me on awesome holidays around the world - hell, he gave me everything I could ever have wanted throughout my whole life, though he kept his distance so that I didn't start to think of him as a father - he has some weird ideas about people.  He'd been burned like that with one of his previous specimens so he figured he could control exactly what happened with me by being a friend, not a father figure.  It didn't work, really, and then when I was about eighteen, we went to Turkey and I asked him to drink from me.  I figured out pretty quickly that I wasn't thinking of him just as a father any more," Owen raised his eyebrows, his expression wry.  It faded into a frown after a few moments, as he contemplated telling the hardest part of his story.

"Anyway, I fell in love with him.  We started a relationship - I never understood my mother's opposition to it, I thought it was because I was so much younger than Vincent but there was a lot more to it than that - and he proposed to me in Greece," he lifted his left hand to indicate his wedding ring, "he wanted to sire me so we could be together forever.  I had misgivings because I wasn't sure I was ready to let go of the sun and I didn't feel I measured up to him but he dismissed my misgivings.  Except they only grew.  We almost broke up but sorted it out and he sired me on my twenty-second birthday a couple of years ago.  I told myself the date showed it was meant to be, that it was wonderful and it was... until I happened upon a safe he had hidden in the floorboards of the wardrobe one night about a year later.  He was out drinking and I thought myself very clever for cracking the code but what I discovered inside... ruined my life."  Owen needed to swallow and steady himself before he finished this tale, the hurt he'd fet clouding his blue eyes unmistakably.

"It was filled with papers, papers I didn't understand, but eventually I figured out they were birth certificates, adoption records and all the details of his years seeking to create a companion for himself.  I found out I knew nothing of my parents after all - I was actually some random baby abandoned in a laundromat in a city far from here, left in a clothes basket and found by police.  Vincent adopted me.  Well, he got Karen - recently widowed and depressed she'd never have children - to adopt me and invest in his lies, to construct the story he wanted me to know so that he could get a companion who'd been raised the way he wanted him to be raised, with a secure parent and in a loving environment.  His perfect, controlled specimen, a custom-made companion for eternity.  When I found out... I was gutted by the lies.  I felt I had no identity, that everything I'd ever known was a construct, that I couldn't trust any of it.  Even my mother had had misgivings that he'd not only created himself a companion but a lover when we started going out, though he swore the love was accidental, it just happened because we connected," Owen shrugged, his hands pressing into the couch either side of his knees as he sat forward to tell his story.

He watched Ben, not expecting sympathy, feeling like he was going to be condemned for being childish and hysterical but also invested in the other vampire's reaction regardless.  "I had a melt down and left him, feeling like I couldn't trust him, couldn't trust anything that we were was true if everything at my foundation was a lie.  Eventually, I calmed down and realised that it was what it was, that I was always loved and cared for, that our love wasn't part of the bargain and it was more important than sulking about being lied to.  It's... still difficult sometimes but that's why I'm here and not with him yet.  He's encouraging me to find myself, to be sure of my identity and live without his complete influence for a while, so I can figure out... how I fit.  It's cheesy and lame, I know, but I still love him desperately, I just need to find myself first so I feel I'm giving equally in our relationship.  I need to grow up," he laughed self-deprecatingly, wincing at Ben as he expected the guy to agree wholeheartedly.  He thought he was lame...

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 06:44:10 AM »
Ben listened without speaking through the lot of it.  There were a few turns of phrases that caught his attention, such as Vincent 'destroying her mind altogether' when it came to the woman whose mind he was wiping.  What had happened there?  Ben hadn't considered Vincent to be vehement in such a way.  Then there was the whole 'get someone young to shape them' thing, which Ben didn't like the sound of at all.  It sounded manipulative to the max, to get a child and then mould them to suit you.  Had Vincent really done that?  Owen had said he'd done it 'numerous times' until someone had came out right.  So what had happened to all of his mistakes?

"Yeh, that's heavy," he said when the silence extended.  "Everything's tainted,  I don't know how you can look past that.  I didn't realise Vincent was so... dark," Ben added, thinking about all of the other older vampires he'd met - anyone over five hundred - and the type of person they were.  Why were all the ruthless or evil vampires the ones that were surviving?  If this was truly the case, then he would well and truly outlast Ichabod.  Kerr was another example of a good-hearted vampire not making it to half a century.  Was it kindness that had handed Kerr his death?  Maybe it was something as random as a slayer, and Kerr hadn't been suspicious enough.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 12:42:29 PM »
Ben's agreement with him caused Owen's heart to swell with surprise and happiness.  He also felt guilt, because that wasn't the word to describe Vincent, and being sided with allowed him to be magnanimous towards his sire.

"Well, I don't think he's dark, necessarily," Owen argued bashfully.  "He's just...narrow.  His focus was too tight, he went from one failure to another, manipulating the variables each time, trying to control everything that he couldn't control and not realising how impossible it was.  He wanted a companion for all the right purposes but he was too invested to see that he could've found the chemistry, he didn't have to create it.  He never saw himself as a puppeteer, either; he was using his wealth, his knowledge, his time.  As far as he was concerned, he was creating opportunities for abandoned babies, he was giving them a better life.  He never stopped to think of how his children would feel."

Owen's expression was forlorn.  He was sad for himself and also for Vincent; for such an intelligent man, he'd been very blind.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »
Ben was wondering why Owen was flipping the argument in Vincent's favour.  He'd just told Ben the most extreme story about manipulation and deception and was now justifying his sire's actions.  He truly was a man in love, and Ben wondered if this was what other people saw when Kerr returned to him time and again.  Ben was the outcast, the one considered lofty and selfish, snobby and ingenuine.  Had Kerr told people of Ben's actions and then backpedalling when they saw the black and white story?  Ben himself had been horrified by the tale of his actions over the three years they'd first been together.  Was it the telling or the distance to the tale itself?  Was it somehow more acceptable when someone was involved?

"So what happened to all these babies that grew up to have better lives?  Did they have better lives?  Did he track them?  Or did he just... you know, take care of it?"

Did he destroy their minds too?  That was a question he would ask, but it felt like too much to slot in at this point.  Ben wanted to know, he needed to know.  Maybe being allowed to leave because of an ill-timed kiss had saved him another terrible fate.  He'd rather not be taught by someone who didn't care about mind-wiping people for his own advantage.  If Ben had been more of a problem, perhaps he'd be suffering another bout of amnesia.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 05:29:08 PM »
Owen's eyes widened in horror.  "Oh, no!  He loved them!  He'd never have hurt them - the only time he's ever killed was in seeking revenge for his sire's murder.  He killed the men that burned her.  My mother never understood that," Owen conceded as an aside, looking at Ben with bright, intelligent eyes.  But I'm sure you do, they said, but he didn't voice the comment, preferring to stick with polishing Vincent's reputation now he'd tarnished it.

"But the girls... hmm.  The first was the one with the mother that he raised.  I can never remember her name.  She was fine with him being a vampire, it was the mother who wasn't, but I believe she just got married and he left her alone?  The next one was Leigh - I've met her, in London a few years ago.  She was all spiky and cynical and she asked Vincent if I was his next one and I had no idea what she meant.  She was the first one he tried to raise on his own and she turned into bad news.  She fell in love with another vampire and Vincent let her be sired by him.  She didn't want Vincent because she saw him as a father figure.  The other one was Gayle and things with her were looking the best... until she turned fifteen I think it was, and Vincent kissed her.  She freaked out so he left her with the mother he'd picked for her and I don't know if he ever saw them again.  Then there was me and he knew he shouldn't be the father or even the uncle but the friend by then.  I guess we could say he got it right.  It's weird to think that he named me, he helped create me, in a sense... and now we have, uh, sleep together," Owen laughed awkwardly, unsure about saying something crass in front of Ben.

"If I think about it too much, it does my head in but... it's just his life and the way it unfolded for him.  He had a grand love with his sire, they even had a fledgling together, in Africa, and when he lost them both even burying himself in the ground wasn't enough to make him feel better.  He likes people, he needed someone to be with and he's a fanatical planner, but not so engrossed by it that he couldn't concede defeat and walk away from it when it all went wrong," Owen shrugged, beginning to wonder if he'd hear tales from Ben about his sire, Kerr, now that he was sharing so much of Vincent's life.  "His heart's always been in the right place, he's loyal, loving and caring, he just... " the younger vampire shrugged again, not feeling he needed to finish that sentence.  Vincent's naiveté was, now, well documented and proven.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 08:27:35 PM »
Owen's explanations were changing Ben's mind about Vincent back to his initial belief - that the elder vampire was a good man at heart.  The tale didn't sound quite so dark when Owen explained that Vincent had tried and tried again for a companion and was brave enough to walk away when it didn't turn out.  Quite suddenly, almost as instantly as he'd gone the negative route, he wished madly that he had Owen's dilemma, that their positions were swapped, that he was faced with a sire that had wanted company so badly that he'd shaped the world.  There was still a bit of residue of distaste; the idea of watching a child grow up and then getting romantic notions about them... it seemed incestuous.

"What did you mean, then?  When you said that Vincent destroyed the mind of the first girl's mother, what did you mean?  Did he wipe it and not restore it?" he hazarded, not understanding why Vincent would do something like that, unless it was self preservation.

He was fine with self-preservation, and hadn't even batted an eye when Owen admitted Vincent had killed to seek revenge.  Ben wasn't sure that he could, but if he'd found out that he had the ability to destroy whoever had killed Kerr... well, it was hard to know unless he was there, but he certainly didn't cast Vincent in a negative light for that.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 08:36:32 PM »
"Oh, well I think he had to wipe her mind from knowing he was a vampire every day, because she just couldn't handle it.  She loved him, I think, but was afraid of him and couldn't get used to the idea, so every night he had to take that from her and eventually it degraded her mind.  She got Alzheimer's.  When she'd forgotten him completely, he left them," Owen explained, realising belatedly that his description of destroying someone's mind might have meant something entirely different to Ben, only because the other vampire seemed confused by it.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 08:48:39 PM »
Ben thought about that for a long moment.

"That doesn't sound right, to me.  Why would he wipe her mind every night?  You'd just have to do it once, right?" he pointed out, and began to wonder if he should've heard this story from Vincent directly.  Owen didn't seem to have it straight, but at least he was talking about it.  Vincent hadn't shared about Lorica, other than the fact he'd lost her and gone to ground.  He'd listened to Ben tell his tale about Kerr, held him as he cried for him, talked to him about the last thing he'd ever said to him, comforted him by pointing out that Kerr knew he was loved by Ben, that he'd died in the middle of protecting him, and that was the noblest way for a sire to go out - and that he could only wish he was so lucky.  Such a dark path to tread, in the conversation, but it had worked, for Ben had felt much better, much more accepting of his grief, and able to start healing.  He would never get over Kerr, never really move past him, but that was okay too.  Memories of their time together deserved to be cherished.  He'd locked up all his wonderful Kerr memories into a jewellery box (including the necklace Kerr had given him as a sign of his love), and he would take them out when he was ready.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 09:10:56 PM »
Owen gave Ben a blank look and then shrugged.  "I don't know?  Maybe I have the story wrong," he frowned and gave it some thought, trying to remember what Vincent had said about it... there were a lot of confusing layers of emotion on top of the memory but now that he put some effort to it, 'wipe' seemed wrong.  "Actually... he might've said he charmed her.  Like... cast a thought on her so she'd love him still.  Does that make more sense?" he queried.

It occurred to him, in that moment, that he should just tell Ben to ask Vincent and then he realised that he didn't really have a huge issue with Ben seeing Vincent again.  He believed the other vampire when he was told that the kiss wouldn't happen again, that it was a one-time deal, though he was intrigued by how memories of his sire had prompted the action in the first place.  "You should probably just ask Vincent," he said, feeling the comment was awkward just because there was forgiveness implied in it.  His fingers began to fiddle with one another in his lap.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 09:19:59 PM »
Ben nodded thoughtfully, because charming someone wasn't as invasive as wiping their mind entirely.  He, as a young vampire, could already charm mortals into staying put for him while he drank from them, of using that charm to imply that they'd done nothing more than tell him the time (a lot of effort) or flirted with him (much less effort).  If Vincent hadn't the skills to wipe a memory from someone's mind (and he understood that such a skill would require surgical precision, so it wouldn't be attempted on a loved one in case it botched), then it made sense to charm her, until the charm wore off.

But would that cause Alzheimers?  Or had it just been a coincidence?  People got alzeimers all the time, surely not all of them had been charmed by vampires and lost their cognitive?  And then it struck him with absolute horror that with all the vampires in the world, with all the charmed or mental manipulation that was going around, perhaps they were the reason why unexplained mental diseases were happening!  Fuck.  Don't even go there, it was nothing but madness for himself.  He pushed it, and it went, but grudgingly.  He focussed on Owen's invitation to ask Vincent, to help it go.

"He's already decided," Ben confessed, hoping that Owen would offer to talk to his sire.  How strange, that the man he'd betrayed might now vouch for him.  "He told me he didn't want to see me again, because of how you reacted."

He very carefully explained the why, because guilt was a powerful tool, and he wasn't past using it again to get what he wanted.  If the Academy was already built, he wouldn't bother, he'd just leave these two alone, but right now he needed them.

And he'd already begun to consider Vincent as a friend.  Perhaps more than that, and wrongly so, but there it was.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 10:36:08 PM »
Owen's brow furrowed and now his hands were rubbing thoughtfully against one another as he examined the carpet, not really wanting to look at Ben while he cast his thoughts back.  "He confused me.  I thought he asked me there for a date, that... something else might happen, then he started talking about you and the fact that he thinks I intimidate you and I couldn't understand where it was coming from."

He glanced up at Ben as he said that, wanting to see if there'd be a reaction to Vincent's beliefs.  "When I got agitated and told him I wasn't the one that made you walk out on our last session - well, our last session together - he changed tactics and started going on about how much you miss your sire so you kissed him and that I should understand because he'd understand if I told him I'd hooked up with someone while I was at the Chambers and I just..."

Owen broke off, shaking his head as his hands separated only to come towards each other and then funnel upward, describing a silent explosion that was reflected in the way his cheeks puffed up then released air suddenly.  He hadn't really blown up at Vincent so much as told him he needed time to decide if he really was being the asshole his husband had implied he was about to be, but the explosion had happened in Ben's presence.  Near enough.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 11:00:27 PM »
Ben's eyebrows lifted slightly at being told about the intimidation thing.  Interesting thing to hear, when it was coming from the guy he was intimidated by.  Why Vincent had chosen to reveal this morsel to Owen was beyond him, especially when he couldn't have known such a thing.  Ben supposed that after six centuries, a person should be able to read people, even without the mental skills, but Owen had admitted that Vincent could be clueless too.  Perhaps not clueless so much as misinterpreting, or putting the spin of his own percetption and character into a behaviour.  A person could only judge with their own yardstick, after all.

"You do intimidate me," Ben admitted sheepishly after Owen's explosive sound effect finished and was met with brief silence.  "I've always been intimidated by athletic guys, the kind with a ton of muscle.  And big black guys now, too," he added after a moment, in a flustered manner.  "I think it must be about my past, maybe it was because I always checked out the jocks in high school and knew if they knew I thought of them like that they'd beat the fuck out of me.  It's not like they did, or anything, just how I felt.  You've got that same physique, that really... hot... built... look," he was frowning now and looked away, not keen on making eye contact with Owen in case he thought Ben was now coming onto him or something.  "And you had this awesome sire who was being nice to me, and you walked in and I felt really third wheel.  It was confusing and awkward and I went off the deep end, at the end of the night.  Stressed out, I think, from feeling like a dick all night.  Like I was intruding."

And that was before I kissed Vincent
So yeh, still an intruder
But more official now.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 11:17:19 PM »
Owen didn't really know what to say when Ben admitted he was intimidated by him; should he be relieved it was based mostly on his looks, or offended?  It was really difficult to tell and it just made him feel awkward because it almost felt like there'd be an offer coming any minute for them to kiss, to even out the playing field or something and he was glad Ben wasn't looking at him because even thinking that concerned him.  Thankfully, Ben's final words gave him an opening he'd been hoping for but hadn't managed to create for himself and he was able to work towards that.

"I wasn't really a jock, I just had a friend who got me to my high school's gym and I discovered I really enjoyed working out - it seemed like a good idea once I found out for sure that Vincent wanted to sire me, too, because I was pretty dorky up until then," Owen explained, laughing self-deprecatingly.  "And you weren't a third wheel, if anything that was me, given the way I can still get weird around Vincent.  I just thought you were cool, and really beautiful - well, handsome would be a better word - being that you're a model, but I thought you were really down to Earth considering you're so famous.  I had no idea about who your sire was or any of that... what was he like, your sire?  I gather not a jock or a big black guy?" Owen smiled gently, his questions hesitant because he didn't want to upset Ben by bringing up bad memories but he was curious.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 08:52:15 PM »
Not really a jock, he just worked out at the gym?  Yeh, okay, that was like saying Ben wasn't really much of a writer, he just kept a few journals.  He had to admit that sometimes a hobby could be a bigger definition than you'd first believed.  Ben didn't want to write professionally, like Murphy did, but Owen hadn't wanted to become a professional athlete either, but that didn't make him any less a jock.  Ben saw the definition quite starkly.  He couldn't imagine Owen as 'dorky'.

He wanted to correct Owen, that he wasn't a model anymore, but he kept his mouth closed.  He'd checked his old email and found a number of contacts on it that were still interested in his coming to work for them, since they'd found out he was in this city and more available to them, rather than in New York and signing up with big contract names.  It was smaller work, but that suited Ben more.  He'd not really been considering it until this moment, when Owen called him 'a model' and he hadn't cringed or immediately thought of Themba.  The 'famous' comment was something he dismissed, figuring Owen must be of the opinion that if he'd recognised Ben then many others did too.  It was a rare thing.  He wasn't famous.  Ash Rivers was closer to fame than him - and he wondered what Owen would say about the fact a Hollywood B Grader was in the city (and that Ben had sex with him).

All thoughts of anybody else left his head when Owen asked about Kerr, and his gaze returned to Owen.

"No," he said, and paused for a long moment, but he made all the gestures of someone who is about to answer: licking his lips, looking thoughtful, opening his mouth and then quirking his jaw as he considered his words.  "Kerr was straight forward.  Compassionate.  He hated mind-games and was up-front with everyone he met.  He was really patient and liked the simpler pleasures.  He was very cultured, but he wasn't elitist about it.  I could wrap him around my little finger, because he loved and trusted me so much.  He was blind to a lot of my flaws."  Ben took a deep breath and sighed.  "It wasn't perfect, but it was good.  When Kerr died I didn't only lose a lover, I lost my friend, I lost my sire.  I just took for granted that he'd always be there, because we don't die.  I keep forgetting we can be destroyed."  His voice had become very soft at the last few sentences.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 09:19:41 PM »
Owen wondered about what of Ben's flaws his lover had been blind to and tried to interpose his and Vincent's relationship for the one he was hearing about.  Perhaps it was a sire/fledgling thing, because Owen could certainly imagine Vincent forgiving him his flaws because he loved him, but he wouldn't have said he had Vincent wrapped around his finger... maybe he did and he was just being modest.  Or ignorant, simply because he'd never had cause to think of things from an outward perspective.  He wondered if Ben had found it challenging to do; he'd certainly spoken eloquently enough to dissuade Owen from thinking he had difficulty switching perspectives.

"I think... maybe all the good sires... are a little blind and a lot forgiving of their fledglings' flaws.  Probably because they're old enough to have seen it all before and we're so young and stupid.  Hopefully we all get to the age where we can have their level of forgiveness," Owen smiled, but it was tinged with sadness because Ben had also reminded him that his husband could as easily be taken from him, and it was a horrible thought.  He'd regret all this time apart from him, if that happened.  He'd curse his decision to sacrifice time with the man he loved for selfish reasons and that made him terribly nervous.  He frowned.  "Do you know... how?" he queried cautiously.  "How old was he?"

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 09:46:29 PM »
Ben pulled his lips inward and chewed on them for a moment, holding back all the things that were in danger of spilling out.  The first question was so hard to answer, and yet so easy.  He focussed on the first one initially, because it was a declaration of fact.

"Four hundred and seven," he said.  "His birthday was first January, which makes it easy.  I still think of my birthday as the one to celebrate, though my siring would be the more important celebration to me.  I guess it's because..."

I don't remember it

"...I was co-sired."

He could barely feel his other sire - Arles - but he felt him enough to know that he was still running around the world.  He'd felt closer to Ben, in Europe, but even then he was still a fair distance.  Perhaps the man had gone somewhere in Asia.  He was a stranger to Ben, and not anybody he was interested in seeking out.  Things would be far too unusual and awkward.

"I don't know how Kerr died, it's under investigation by the Ward," he said, and shrugged.  He doubted they'd ever find out, and he doubted it really mattered in the end.  Kerr was dead, and knowing how he died wouldn't give Ben closure, because it wouldn't bring him back.  He didn't want closure anyway, he wasn't ready for that.  "It's my fault though, indirectly.  A lot of things are my fault, just ask Conner or Jake, heh."

He doubted Owen would know who either of those people were on a personal level.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 10:32:06 PM »
Since Ben mentioned Conner's name directly after the Ward, he associated the correct man and put a face to the name immediately, but he wasn't certain about who Jake was.  He didn't think that was the point of the comment, though.  It sounded more like Ben was apologising for something, and he wasn't certain what.

"He was younger than Vincent, but not young.  What would they say was your fault?" Owen asked curiously, also wanting to know how co-siring worked but holding that question back until the information taht seemed more relevant was revealed.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 10:36:04 PM »
"Kerr's death.  Bringing down the Oligarchy.  Banishing the Mimics," he said bluntly, and didn't want to get into details so he left it at that.  If Owen pushed in the wrong direction, Ben would tell him that he didn't want to talk about it anymore.  He'd made his confessions, after all.  He'd chosen Vincent for that.  He wasn't in the mood to open up to someone else, even if it meant he would lose his opportunity for training with them both.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »
Owen raised his eyebrows, understanding there was a pool here that was far deeper than Ben was willing to open up for him to dive into and feeling he was okay with that.  The set in Ben's jaw bespoke tension and wariness and Owen's gaze slid over his face and across his shoulders, taking that in before he turned the subject around a corner and steered it down a slightly different path.  He smiled, because he'd always been able to win people over with his smile and hoped it would put Ben at ease, too.

"Well.  I don't know about any of that.  When I learned you were the Luminary's fledgling, the first thing I thought about was how lucky you were to have been exposed to all the different supernaturals that came to the Chambers or lived there.  I read the magazines sometimes and all the different types that are written about in there are fascinating.  Did you mix with lots of different types?  Were there any really interesting ones?" he asked, sitting forward and clasping his hands together again, genuinely curious about Ben's life.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 11:04:16 PM »
He was relieved that Owen didn't pursue it, and he noticed the other vampire checking him out, reading him as he would read others.  He was glad Owen was smart enough to read body language and facial expression, and then respected it.  He could see why Vincent didn't want to lose him.  Theirs was a wonderful partnership, cultivated over centuries, from Vincent's point of view.  What a fucking fool he'd been, to kiss him.

"There are lots of interesting ones, especially the Fae.  I think you could study a different kind of fae creature a day and still be scratching the surface after a century.  I've decided not to pursue researching them, unless I come across one and can look them up specifically.  Vampires are... united, in a way the other species aren't.  Even the demons don't really stick together, unless their culture is familial like the Mimics.  I think it comes from our human side, to work together as a unit.  It's very... clique-y.  Not many other species trust or respect vampires, I find."

He thought Owen might have more questions, so he paused and watched him expectantly.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 11:16:46 PM »
Owen tilted his head, thinking about Ben's observations and fascinated by them.  "Is it because we're predators, feeding on mortals?  But... wouldn't demons be similar?  I don't know much about them but they've always seemed predatorial and... evil, for want of a better word," Owen laughed.  "That could just be in my head, of course, considering how ignorant I am.  I've applied to work at the Ward, hopefully I learn enough so I don't put my foot in it somehow!"

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 11:22:20 PM »
"The Mimic demons weren't evil," Ben said quietly, "they were noble.  They put Kerr in charge, you know.  They mutinied against Lazarus because he wasn't doing his job, and told Kerr he was who they would serve.  Every demon I've met's been... nice.  The only ones who really bother me are the shadow demons.  They... " he shrugged.  "How do you fight shadows?" he asked after a moment, and shifted uncomfortably as a shiver ran along his spine.  The movement he made was indicative of what he'd felt, and he was sure Owen would recognise it as such.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 11:29:22 PM »
"Wow," Owen said, surprised to hear that every demon Ben had met had been nice.  The fact that demons mutinied and chose a vampire to be in charge of the supernatural side of the city was very strange.  "I didn't know that demons put your husband in charge - if they were so powerful, how come they didn't run things themselves?" he frowned, feeling like Ben's knowledge of everything was a maze and it was all starting to get away from him.

It was odd how Owen knew all of this had happened in the city they all lived in, but he'd been newly made and crazed with bloodlust through most of it, or mortal if not.  His ignorance was understandable in that sense but he was certainly feeling his inferiority to the beautiful vampire across from him more acutely thanks to all the catching up he was having to do.  It was boggling, though, so he wasn't certain he was better off hearing about the past when he had plenty enough to learn about in the present.  Surely there was no expiry date or too much knowledge on supernaturals, though?

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2013, 11:38:09 PM »
Here was something Ben felt compelled to correct Owen on.

"Kerr wasn't my husband.  We were never married, didn't have a ceremony, don't have rings," he said, and thought of the ring and necklace given to him from Kerr that he'd hidden away, but he'd never considered it about them, because Ichabod had one too and the jewellery had been presented in front of his fledge brother, including him.  It was about sire and fledgling, and that bond.  In his heart it had always been the more important one, and Kerr had called him out on it several times, that Ben would say 'sire and lover' instead of the other way around.  He'd thought the blood connection, the intimacy of that had been much greater than anything else, because people broke up, or moved away, but that sire/fledge bond couldn't be broken.  Of course he saw his folly now; even though Kerr was still his sire, that bond had weakened, while the love he had for Kerr did not.  Love came first.  He ached now, to concede such a thing to Kerr, when it was too late.  "I never wanted it, though he'd talked about it."  Ben shrugged.  Too late, again.

"As far as I understand, they revered the original Luminary and chose to follow him.  Halen.  The dragon.  That's why the dragon tattoo was the symbol for Oligarchs.  I guess that's going now, too," he wondered.  "They followed Lazarus because he was powerful enough to slay the dragon.  They put Kerr in charge because he stood up to Lazarus, and they backed him."  His hands came apart, palms out in an appeal to Owen.  Take my word on it, they said, because that was all he really knew.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 11:56:24 PM »
"Oh, okay," Owen said, feeling a little foolish that he'd chosen the word 'husband' to use instead of sire.  He really shouldn't apply his beliefs to anyone else and it was a timely reminder; instinctively, his thumb toyed with the ring on his left hand, twisting it while Ben continued speaking.  What he said next was astounding.

"A dragon?!" he shrieked.  "No fucking way!  Dragons exist?!" he exclaimed, sitting up straighter and looking every bit as shocked and amazed as he felt.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 12:02:42 AM »
"I don't know if they still do," he said with a light smile.  He liked Owen's reaction, was reminded of his first ever conversation with Kerr and the eagerness he must've displayed then.  He wouldn't be hauled up for imparting illegal information to a human.  At least telling Owen this stuff wasn't illegal.

The idea that Halen was the last of his kind on this earth was sad, but if this world was full of weird and wonderful creatures because of supernatural ley-lines, it was possible that there was a world out there teeming with dragons.

"There's not much on them, just like the Mimics.  Tons of lore and fantasy and such, but next-to-nothing non-fiction.  Not like ghosts and stuff."

Where the opposite was true - almost too much.  Sifting through the bullshit had been tiresome.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 12:28:04 AM »
Owen's face fell with genuine disappointment as Ben insinuated that there were no more dragons to be found, though the world was bigger than just this city and Owen believed it still held many secrets.  Vincent had taken him travelling over most continents and into some extremely remote regions; there were some truly inexplicable places hidden away on this planet... that he now would begin to hope held dragons.

"I can't say I've read much non-fiction stuff on supernaturals," Owen told Ben wryly, for he was an avid reader, just like his sire was, but the closest he ever got to factual texts were the magazines.  "Where would you get your hands on stuff like that?"

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2013, 07:03:35 AM »
"The best texts were at the Oligarchy.  They had the most amazing library.  I heard it was all gone, but I know Vomas - the D.L. for the city south, he had this massive project scanning the books.  I helped a bit, but it was slow work.  I don't know how much he got, or what he got.  I think there are places that would have collections - I was planning on asking the Venture owners, if they had a library available for the VIPs.  They didn't advertise one, but they implied there was more if someone was willing to show they had the money to join.  I've yet to upgrade my membership from Risk - it's about twenty thousand more, I think."  He shrugged because he'd heard the amount but hadn't really taken it in.  "There's always Europe," he added, not wanting to go into too much detail.  "But the municipal library in this city is actually really good.  Maybe because there's a high concentration of our kind here."

He'd given Owen some starting points.  The rest was up to him.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2013, 07:45:16 PM »
Owen nodded thoughtfully as Ben descirbed the differences between private and public collections and where he could look for them.  He was more the type to be exposed to something different and then research, rather than diving into what had to be an ocean of information and randomly swim from place to place, but he certainly appreciated Ben's insight.  In fact, he realised as he looked at his companion, that he could now appreciate a great deal more about the other man than he would have thought possible, had they not sat down to have this conversation.  He was pleased they'd done it and decided he would say as much.

"I can learn a lot from you.  I also enjoy talking with you.  I mean... I'm not happy that you kissed Vincent but I understand more about how and why it happened and I don't see a problem with you training under him.  I'll talk to him and tell him how I've discovered I like you," he grinned amiably, his eyes twinkling at Ben.  "I don't have any friends - that sounds pathetic, I know, but my mortal friends fell away when I was sired and had to hide my change and the only two people I've ever been close to are my mother and Vincent.  He'll see it's good for me to mix with you.  Maybe... could I get your phone number?" he enquired, not wanting to put pressure on Ben so he didn't reach for his phone straight away.

Truthfully, he didn't envision that he'd call the other blonde regularly, but he felt compelled to make a gesture.  A gesture of acceptance and friendship, so Ben would understand he could be independent of Vincent and that he meant what he said when he declared he enjoyed talking with him.  It was awkward and there'd been stumbling blocks but Owen thought that, as they trained together more frequently, he could see himself wanting to talk more with Ben, maybe even hang out with him.  Certainly ask his thoughts on certain things.  Vincent was his best friend, but one friend was not enough for him to be a whole person, not when he was keen to explore so many other avenues.  He felt surprisingly nervous as he waited for Ben's response.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2013, 08:31:18 PM »
Ben returned Owen's smile, taking the compliment on face value and not reading any more into it.  Owen was in love with Vincent, such a thing was easy enough to see, and his being liked meant nothing more than friendship.  It was a good compliment, both given and taken well.  It reminded him of how he was with Murphy in a way; that there could be nice things said and it didn't have to mean anything beyond that.  Owen was safe.  He hoped now Vincent was safe.  The kiss hadn't amounted to anything, beyond threatening to lose what he had and possibly being the catalyst to a new friend.

Ben nodded, understanding exactly what Owen was talking about and seeing how such a thing could happen.  He was still nodding all the way up to the part where Owen was asking for his phone number, and then he stopped nodding in order to reel back a little and he could feel his eyes widen in surprise.

"Oh!  Uh, sure.  Okay," he said, and stood up off the very damp towel in order to pull out his cellphone, figuring they would be exchanging numbers rather than Ben just handing his over.  He waited for Owen to get his phone and took advantage of the time to plug in Owen's first name, and then he proferred his phone, so they could exchange and plug in their details as required.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2013, 08:54:04 PM »
Owen noted that Ben was quite shocked by being asked for his number but he recovered quickly and then they were swapping phones and trading numbers.  It felt a bit forced but Owen pushed that sensation down, reminding himself that any connection he'd ever made with someone always began with this fluttery feeling of hope and nervousness but perseverance yielded results.  It would be the same with Ben, he hoped.  They'd had a difficult beginning, both of them intimidated by the other for various reasons but now there was much more understanding between them.  Hopefully it meant a decent connection in the future.

He handed Ben's phone back after saving the details he'd typed in and took his, checking Ben's information and then getting the phone back to his photo of Vincent (which was his wallpaper).  "Do you want me to call him with you here - actually, scratch that, I might go see him," Owen hastily retracted his offer, recalling how upset he'd been about how skewed their night had become.  Perhaps he could go see Vincent and get it back on track... though he felt obligated to include Ben.  "You want to come?" he offered pleasantly.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2013, 09:00:21 PM »
"I better not, you wouldn't be able to talk freely if I do," he said, pocketing his own phone and picking up the towel from the sofa.  It signalled he wouldn't be sitting down again, and he did some unfolding and re-folding of it as he looked at Owen and thought of something to say.  This silence wasn't comfortable, but he felt like Owen was in the same place, which made him feel a lot better.  After a moment he handed over the towel.  "Thanks, uh, I'll catch a cab back to my car.  Don't have to drop me off," he said.  "Thinking time, you know?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »
"I wouldn't say anything behind your back I wouldn't say to your face," Owen assured Ben, but he didn't push him to accompany him to Vincent's place.  He and his sire needed a bit of time to clear the air and it would be far less awkward for Ben if he didn't get caught in the middle of it.  He took the towel when it was offered, realising when Ben mentioned it that he had a car out in the city somewhere and he'd driven him away from it.

"Oh, no!  Let me drive you back to it on my way to Vincent's!" he argued but Ben insisted and, reassured that it was definitely the right thing to do, he let Ben leave.  They shook hands at the door, Owen thanked him for the chance to get to know him and then he closed the door behind his new potential friend.  He felt... positive about things.  It was a strange but wonderful feeling and he hurried to the bathroom to put the towel on a rack and re-style his hair in the bathroom mirror (the rain had curled it as much as it had frizzed out so he did his best to make it look more respectable) before he raced eagerly to his car.

(Continued in 'Resolution')