Author Topic: Forgotten Family  (Read 16737 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Family
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 11:32:10 AM »
Mick's lips twisted thoughtfully and he scratched absently at his chin as Ben told him his guy had died during a travelling accident.  What, he got run over by a cable car or fell off a touring train or something?  It sounded suspicious to him but he couldn't say that, it'd be rude.

"Ah, so... seven years together," Mick calculated, knowing his big brother was twenty-seven.  He nodded but, again, didn't feel it was appropriate to comment on a relationship Ben was obviously not super keen to talk about.  He guessed it hadn't been very long since the guy had died, from the way Ben was being so tender about it - of course, a relationship that lasted that long was beyond Mick's scope of understanding, so for all he knew it had been a while ago and Ben just hadn't recovered yet.  Intellectually, he understood that could happen, even if it wasn't something he'd experienced emotionally.

His face brightened at Ben's question about his kid and he fished his phone out of his jacket pocket, clicking through it to get to his pictures while he answered.  "A boy, Maximus.  He's nearly five now but this is a picture of him and his mother, T'Liesha, the day he was a born.  If you swipe forwards, you'll get to pictures of him now," Mick instructed, handing the phone over.  "I don't see him much, because of T'Liesha.  The bitch," he muttered darkly.

Ben would see pictures of a relatively attractive African American girl holding a tightly-swaddled baby with cocoa brown skin and tight black curls in the first picture.  T'Liesha was seventeen when Maximus was born but without makeup she looked barely fifteen in the first photo.  She appeared regularly in the first few photos, made up and covered with jewellery, looking progressively older and more tired despite her youth.

When the photos with T'Liesha stopped, there were two photos featuring Ben's parents with Maximus at about a year of age.  His mother was smiling at the camera both times, his father looking unimpressed in the first (while his wife held Maximus) but happier in the second as he stood in the Samson's living room, Maximus' fat little fingers wrapped around his extended index fingers, teaching him to walk (with Ben's mother smiling from behind).

After that there were just photos of Maximus getting older, either taken at parks, the house Ben grew up in (because Mick took Maximus over to visit his grandparents whenever he got visitation) or a variety of dingy-looking apartments.  Maximus was seen sitting on various swings, push cars, a tricycle and a bicycle later on, smiling broadly at his father with full red lips and rounded cheeks.  His eyes had lightened as he grew, proving unequivocally that Mick was his father with their light blue hue.  Combined with his brown skin and thick, curly brown hair, his unique colouring ensured that he would turn heads when he was older.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
He didn't feel any emotion as he looked at the photos.  Dear God, what was wrong with him?  Did he have some kind of socially inept disease?  He was hearing the term Asperger's Syndrome being thrown around like it was confetti nowadays, but he didn't think he had inability to recognise social cues.  He was an over-analyser, not under.  So what did that make him?

Neurotic.

No, he had to stop mentally beating himself up.  It had been a long time since he'd been here in his mind.  He'd grown into quite a confident, aware and much less self-absorbed individual under Kerr's influence.  He liked the person he'd become, when he'd been with Kerr.  It would be stupid to let himself slide backwards without a fight.  So no, he wasn't connecting with his brother right now, and he wasn't invested in the life of his child and his ex-girlfriend, and he didn't even have the hatred that he used to have for his parents - especially his mother, because his father had always been an ignorant fuck, while she should've known better and she'd chosen him over her own son.  Huh, guess he did have some resentment still burning in him over that after all.

He took a deep breath and handed the phone back.

"It must've been weird as fuck," Ben said, using the brashness of Mick's earlier profanity to embolden his own words, "seeing me in that magazine.  It's weird for me too, you calling me out from nowhere, and I guess you've had some time to get used to the idea of meeting up.  But it's... so much has happened to both of us.  When I left home everything was fresh and raw, so I tried to put it out of my mind, and I think I did, you know?  I think after over ten years, I managed to bury it pretty good."  He cocked his head sideways and frowned lightly at Mick.  "Sorry."

He was sorry.  It was genuine.  He was feeling lost and out of touch because he was.  He could've contacted Mick at some point, could've met him at their old school, could've given him a brother to talk to instead of walking out of his life forever like he'd walked out on their parents.  He'd left him with no looking back, with the excuse that he wouldn't disappoint the way Ben had.  Dumb thing was, he might've, and Ben wouldn't have known.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 09:39:34 PM »
Mick's expression became regretful and he nodded gently.  "It is what it is, I get it.  But yeah, it was a spinout seeing you in that magazine; I could barely believe my eyes, especially after so many years.  I never forgot I had a brother, don't get me wrong but... " he broke off with a shrug, letting the genuine emotions of confusion and loss he'd felt as a young child come to the fore in his eyes, "you left when I was little.  Right when I could have used brotherly advice and all that shit.  Mum and Dad were weird as fuck after you left; fighting all the time.  I thought for sure she'd bring you back, but she never did."

He fell quiet, his mouth twisting with the sorrow he'd felt at losing Ben (and perhaps a little resentment too), showing how he'd been truly affected both by Ben leaving and the aftermath of the family disharmony the older Samson had left in his wake.  "I worried about you.  Used to dream about you - well, have nightmares, really.  Especially after I found out about the truth behind all that gas leak bullshit and what really went down," Mick snorted, shifting in his seat so that he was leaning back once more.  His eyes narrowed slightly at Ben, clearly recalling his brother's obsession with vampires.  He'd met a shifter a couple of years back and found out a lot more than he'd bargained on; he was gambling Ben knew just as much (if not more) than he did.

By the same token, letting his opportunity to really bring home Ben's guilt and turn him into putty escape in favour of having a suspicion confirmed was a risk - but he only thought that after he'd started on this track.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
Guilt was felt enough with Mick's words.  Being told about the fallout wasn't a surprise but it still hit him hard.  He should've checked in, and on the heels of thinking this and being told he'd been missed... it was nauseating.  The guilt amplified and he started feeling a twisting in his gut.  The twisting turned into something else when Mick's conversation turned to a different path, and Ben wasn't sure if he'd been saved or gone into a new kind of hell.  He was thinking about his eyes, which he should've hidden with coloured contacts.  Really, he had to get around to doing that.

"What kind of truth is that?" he asked casually, before realising his mistake.  It was too casual for someone who'd been as obsessed about vampires as he'd been back in the day.  He'd lived and breathed vampire culture, to the dismay of his parents who'd eventually tried to blame his being gay on the 'dark obsession with satanic things', which had only driven a further wedge between them.  Of course if he was mortal he would've been more keen to find out what Mick knew, and in so many words.  He'd have leant forward, a grin on his face, and demanded to know what Mick was talking about, specifically.  This pretense of an exterior had been the wrong path to take, even for someone who he'd been separated from for over a decade.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 10:11:54 PM »
Again, Mick snorted and quirked a single eyebrow at his brother, his disbelieiving expression accompanied by a cautious half smile and a head tilt that declared he wasn't entirely sure whether to trust what he was hearing or not.

"The truth you always seemed to be waiting to be told - that all that weird shit you were into is real.  Especially your precious vampires," he smirked, his tone almost mocking in its triumph.  Belatedly, he thought to glance around the coffee shop and check they were out of earshot of anyone else but even though they weren't a long way from everyone, no-one was paying them any mind that he could see.

"I met a guy a few years ago and we became good buddies.  He's a shifter and he's told me a lot of stuff," Mick hinted, his eyes widening as he nodded very unsubtly at his brother.  He figured Ben was just playing possum and would have to confess he knew what Mick was getting at now.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 08:42:56 PM »
Nobody was listening, Ben already knew that, but he was relieved that Mick checked - albeit a little late.  His brows lifted slightly when he was told about Mick's 'good buddy the shifter', and he wondered if that meant Michael Samson had his own file right behind Ben's one in the drawers.  He went off on a tangent in his thoughts for a moment, wondering who had the hard copy files now - it should really be Conner at the Ward - before addressing the expectant expression directed at him.

"I found out the truth some years ago," he said, seeing no harm in admitting it.  It might be that Mick had looked at Ben and known from the first second (thanks to his eyes) that he was now a supernatural, but he'd been playing his knowledge far cooller than Ben gave him credit for.  He thought it would be wise not to go into specifics.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 09:09:30 PM »
Something about the way he replied gave Mick pause and his gaze was drawn to Ben's mountain-lake light blue eyes yet again.  Yeah, his brother more than knew what was what; a tingle of understanding shivered down Mick's spine and he stuck his tongue out to swipe his lips but ended up biting on it thoughtfully as he watched Ben.  The silence stretched between them but the younger sibling wasn't made uncomfortable by it as he stared and thought, contemplating all the repercussions of what he was considering.

"How many years ago?" he enquired, sensing it was the right question to ask but not sure why.  Ben hadn't come right out and said it but Mick was willing to play along.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »
He could feel the connection Mick was making.  It was eerie, he'd never been able to read a thought process before.  Maybe it was because they were brothers, but that didn't make sense since Ben was no longer the same species, with the same blood.  Whatever it was, he could feel Mick's thoughts sliding into place, like a jigsaw, and he was beginning to step back in order to take a better look at what was being assembled.  He wondered if this was the sensation he'd given vampires when he'd wandered around Risk with his loud thoughts.  But no, he was smarter - perhaps a lofty view, but accurate.  He'd thirsted for education in a way that his brother hadn't.  He'd thought about things in a way his brother didn't.  Of course Mick could've changed from the kind of inattentive kid he'd been, but Ben doubted it.  Just look at the problems he was having now.  He was a clear product of his socio-economic upbringing.  Ben had clawed his way out of it.  Another thing to feel a little guilty about.  Survivor's guilt, ha.

"I was nineteen when a room-mate told me," he said, wondering why he was still trying to throw his brother off the scent.  Really, what did it matter when he already knew?  "He went to this club called Risk all the time."

He watched Mick's face, trying to keep himself open for more of those connection feelings.  It had been tingly in the brain, kind of like his nose used to feel before a sneeze.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 11:29:30 PM »
The name of the club stirred a vague memory for Mick but nothing that came to the surface for indentification immediately.  He pulled his tongue in and twisted his mouth to the side, momentarily distracted as the waitress returned with food.  He gave her a nod of thanks as she set their orders down, waiting until she was gone before he said anything to Ben.

"Nineteen was when you met your boyfriend.  You meet him at this club?" he enquired, watching his brother intently as he picked up one of his sandwiches and took a bite.  He wasn't too worried about keeping his mouth closed when he chewed.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 11:44:46 AM »
"Yes," Ben said.  There didn't seem to be a lot of recognition about Risk, which meant that Mick had probably learned more about shifters than anything else.  If this good buddy of his had been forthcoming with information, then he might've spoken about the other kinds of supernaturals in this city, but he also might have been aware of the 'don't say too much' rule, which had ensnared him and Kerr in its vice-like jaws and caused them a lot of trouble at the start.

He doubted he'd get into trouble over this.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 07:23:28 PM »
Mick decided quickly that he didn't want to play poker with his big brother; the dude kept things very close to his chest and his expression was entirely too difficult to read.  He was not so coy, nor anywhere near patient enough to wait out this game.  Not when he didn't see the point and there were many other potential prizes up for grabs.

"And he was a vampire," Mick stated quietly, not bothering to look around as he stared into those pretty blue eyes.  In deciding to show his hand, his memory connected as he spoke - he remembered what the deal with Risk was.  His buddy had shuddered about the place because it was a hangout for vampires and their food.  Ben had always been into vampires specifically, so it all made sense at once.

His brother was a motherfucking vampire.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 08:36:27 PM »
Ben smiled.  He couldn't help it.  It wasn't a reaction he'd expected to have!  But here he was, smiling at Mick and feeling like the Cheshire Cat who'd grinned at Alice when she'd been puzzling over his riddles.  He hadn't meant to dangle the prize in front of Mick that way, he was just being cautious.  Mick had guessed though, he'd figured it out, he already knew, so now - armed with this knowledge - Ben felt free to admit it.

"Yes," he said, still grinning like an idiot.  He knew his fangs weren't showing, because of practise, practise, practise, but rarely did people smile with their mouths so wide open anyway.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 09:02:17 PM »
"Huh," Mick grunted, his expression wry as he looked over his brother's smile.  Yeah, now they both knew what was what.  "You actually fucking did it," he breathed, unsure why he was so amazed when it'd been something he'd assumed as inevitable when he'd met his shifter friend - his first thought had been of Ben when he was told about all the shit skulking around in this city.  He put it down to little brother awe; apparently it didn't matter how old they got, he could still be impressed by how cool his big brother was.

"Grats, man, seriously.  What's it like?  Everything you dreamed?" he asked curiously, tilting his head to take more bites of his food while leaning over his plate.  His gaze lowered as Ben spoke, taking in the pallor of Ben's skin, the smoothness of it (which could be put down to a solid moisturising regimen) and the way his chest only moved when he was sucking in breath to talk.    Then of course there were those clearwater eyes.  He should've known from the start, in hindsight.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 09:06:53 PM »
"Yes, everything I wanted and more.  It doesn't take away life problems, though.  Just makes different ones."  He shrugged, but the smile was still on his face.  "I barely remember what it was like, before," he admitted.  He remembered alright, but it felt like a dream, or that his life had been happening to someone else.  Even his journals weren't useful to him anymore.  He'd started creating a new one - a digital notepad of all the things he still wanted to find out.

He figured Mick might have more comments or questions, so gave him the time to do it.  Speaking through mouthfuls of food was beginning to bug him, though.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 12:54:00 AM »
Being told that Ben's former 'living' life as a human was barely remembered drew a frown from Mick but he did his best to lose it as he went for a drink of his shake.  There was a distance between them now, though, and Mick was acutely aware of his brother's superior attitude.  It was like everything was suddenly better and he was too good to worry about thinking about what life had been like before he got himself changed into a blood-drinking fiend.  Definitely too good to worry about the people he'd left behind.

After a few noisy sucks through his straw, Mick lowered his shake glass and swirled his straw in it, wanting to mix the ice cream through while he thought.  "Yeah?" he asked smoothly, raising his eyebrows at Ben and feeling defensive even though he was trying not to look it.  "What sort of problems you got now?  You're going to live forever, right?  Always look as young as you do while the rest of us get old, wrinkly and die.  And you can just hypnotise people into giving you stuff if you want it, no need for money, right?  What problems could you possibly have?" he challenged, intrigued.