Author Topic: A Minor Academic Pursuit  (Read 11598 times)

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
Re: A Minor Academic Pursuit
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 12:52:16 PM »
She blinked a few times at Ben as he asked his question, she wasn't sure why but the question hit her on a personal level. There was no short answer but Sam smiled at Ben after a moment. She was no longer leaning against the desk, she stood straight up and she was way shorter than Ben. He almost had another 8 inches on her height wise, she always seemed to be the shortest one in the room hands down.

"When me and Jake met it wasn't the conventional way someone would be sired," she scratched her chin still holding Ben's gaze as she spoke. Her face was softened towards Ben, she liked Ben and his curiosity.

"It was under dire circumstances I was drained by another in Pisky Park, Jake tried to just heal my wounds but was unaware of how much blood I had lost. In turn of him trying to heal me, I was created by accident." Her voice didn't waver and she was more comfortable talking about her past thanks to Jake.

"We fought at first but in the end, yes I am glad I became a Ventrue. I was even lucky enough to be apart of it's vast history and culture. I couldn't ask for a better Sire or bloodline to belong too." Most people say she would have made a better Brujah or Toreador but Jake had told her before, she would grow into the role of a Ventrue one day. 

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 04:18:47 AM »
Sam hid her feelings on the matter of her siring very well.  Ben had no idea that she'd ridden some emotional waves because of the topic, so when she explained her situation so matter-of-factly, he was driven to pursue the topic.

"Have you found the vampire that drained you?  I mean, you remember what he... or she... looked like, right?  Was Jake already an Oligarch?"  Ben was thinking to himself that Jake could've pulled the image of that vampire out of her head and hunted him down.  If he did it with Sam's knowledge, that would be interesting to hear about - and there was nothing Ben liked better than the idea of some dominating vampire

like Themba

meeting justice for what they'd done to an innocent.

Not that you were ever innocent, Benny boy

No, but still.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 12:14:35 PM »
Sam shook her head, "No he's never been caught but I remember every little detail. His obsidian hair, strange brown eyes, even his pupil ran into his colored iris. I'll never forget staring at those eyes in my final moments," those eye's had scared the living shit out of her at the time.

"Yes, Jake was an Oligarch which was lucky for me. I don't know what would have happened if it was someone else who had embraced me." Yes you do you little liar! You probably would have been given a death sentence. She then thought of a question, one she had been meaning to ask other vampires.

"If you don't mind me asking was your embrace peaceful or had it been painful?" Sams had been an incredibly painful transition, she always wondered if that was a Ventrue thing or if other vampires had the same experience or a completely different one when it came to being turned.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 07:05:07 AM »
He hadn't expected her to ask about his siring.  He was caught off-guard momentarily, and said a few 'um's' and 'uh's' before he managed to tell her.

"I was co-sired.  Kerr and Arles, who I don't... I mean,"  he frowned.  Usually his response to this question was emotionless and easy. 'I don't remember' he would say, and if they asked why, he would usually turn his back on them and leave.  He didn't want to be rude to Sam though, who was being quite candid with him about her own life.  He didn't want to feel like the only thing he could do was walk away, so he explained himself.

"I only know what Kerr told me about it, because those memories were taken from me in some demonic ritual thing.  I don't remember that either.  Three years are gone, and in there somewhere I got sired.  I was told it was okay, but I have no memory of Arles at all, I don't know what he looks like, and Kerr and I used to share blood all the time after I was sired, so his presence is pretty dull now."

He could still feel him though, far away, and it was weird to be connected to someone he didn't know, nor want to know.  Thinking of Kerr was making him ache for his sire in a way he hadn't in a while lately.  It was feeling fresh and raw again, because he'd been thinking about Kerr so much that it felt like his blood bond had reconnected.  He needed to visit Penbrook.  He was like a junkie, he supposed.

"I'm sorry, I have to go."  He didn't, but he did.  He felt bad for bailing on Sam when he really hadn't wanted to.  Habits were hard to break, he supposed.  He took a step back, not turning around to leave just yet without her permission.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 12:38:46 PM »
At first Sam didn't realize what emotions would be brought up with Ben with her question.It seemed innocent enough but Sam knew nothing about his siring, even littler about himself. After he got over of what looked like to be a bit of shock he answered her question. No sooner than he did Sam felt bad, maybe this wasn't the right person to ask. She stayed calm nodding her head with a neutral looking face, this wasn't the time to have a smile on her face. She took what he said very seriously.

Suddenly he asked to excuse himself, she was pretty sure in was because of her inquiry. He took a step back not entirely leaving the room, she had to say something. It was her fault for going to far, right? She didn't take a step forward she remained as she was at the moment.

"Ben I'm... Sorry," she roughly started. "Look I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable, just because I seem so frank about sharing my past doesn't mean you have too." Her voice was warm towards him, wanting to make him comfortable again.

"Next time I cross a line like that you can tell me. I'm not going to think you are being rude or anything." That was enough said and she looked at the clock. Holy shit they'd been talking for almost an hour.

"Huh time flies when your are having a good conversation. You can go but do you want a ride home?" It was up to Ben and she wouldn't see him as rude if he declined her offer.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 01:52:43 PM »
"Yeh, it's... kind of fresh, I guess.  Not really the past yet," he said, but went quiet for a moment as Sam spoke about being rude.  She hadn't been, but he was thinking about how much time would have to pass before Kerr's death could be considered the past.  It was a year and a half, after all.  Was that a long time?  He'd never felt the urge to wear black, or do anything else - he'd buried himself into the task of setting up the Academy and training with Vincent and Owen every chance he'd got.  Then he'd signed up for every course he could, studying so he wouldn't have to think about his grief.  Was that why it was taking longer to mourn Kerr?  Because he hadn't addressed it?  Or would he grieve his sire forever?

Sam's last question broke into his thoughts and he was obliged to answer.

"Thanks but I have a car here," he said, nodding because he thought Sam was lovely but he didn't know how else to demonstrate his appreciation of her.  "Next class I'll have more questions, if you're not too busy," he said, hoping she would see it for the promise of further conversation that it was.  He turned while waving and exited the room, having mixed feelings about his destination.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 05:51:06 AM »
"Good-bye Ben, I look forward to our next conversation. Have a good night see you Thursday." She gave him a wave of her fingers as he exited the classroom and she proceeded to gather her things. Her light blue down filled jacket she grabbed off the chair, it was cold but not for the dead it was just for show. Grabbing the papers off the desk she reached underneath and pulled out her brown one strapped shoulder back pack. Carefully placing her papers inside she pulled out her phone which she had turned off prior to starting the class, slinging the back pack on her shoulder she turned on her phone. She walked slowly down the hallway waiting for her phone to run it's media scans and all that shit when you turned on the phone.

As she made her way towards the doors that lead out to the streets a message icon popped up on the screen, it was Scott. She almost walked straight into the door as she stared at his message, it had been so long since she had heard anything from him at all. A message here and there to let her know he was still kicking around, he wanted to meet up for an evening. She missed all three of them and they all moved away with Conner she barely got to see them anymore. She didn't have to teach tomorrow so it would be perfect time to catch up with her older brother.

She messaged him back saying she was free as she walked to her car and it wasn't anything fancy, it was reliable and it got her from point A to point B. She hopped in and shoved the keys in the ignition before starting the car. A low rumble came from the engine, she checked her phone one more time. He hadn't text back yet may be he was figuring out some details or something. She put the car in drive and drove off towards her home with Jake.