Author Topic: Captive  (Read 4104 times)

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Captive
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 06:20:13 AM »
And there it was again, that idea that his watcher wanted to be friends with him. It was so backwards that it didn’t feel like it could be a lie. Surely if this voice wanted to come up with an excuse for kidnapping him then he could come up with something better than that he wanted a friend?

“Why didn’t you just… start a conversation with me?” he asked, biting back the more sarcastic or bitter sounding responses which came to mind. He could vaguely remember colliding with a guy in the street one day but he hadn’t connected that with his sore shoulder and since that had faded quickly it hadn’t lingered in his mind. He couldn’t picture the stranger’s face, but he was sure that if there had been something especially startling about it he would have been more memorable. And perhaps it wasn’t even that person. There were people rushing about in the hospital all the time with their thoughts on other things. It could have been something that Jason hasn’t even considered a real bump. Whoever had taken him had obviously dwelled on the experience a lot longer than Jason had done.

He closed his eyes briefly, running a hand through his hair, feeling frustrated. He wanted to ask more questions to try to find out more about this guy, but instead he shook his head slightly.

“You can’t… you can’t just take someone off the streets, lock them up and go ‘we’re going to be friends now’. That’s just not how life works. You have a conversation to find out what they’re interested in, discuss stuff, find out if the feeling is mutual, you don’t just do all this,” he said, gesturing a hand at the room around him.

“Where even are we? Underground?” he added. The video window gave that impression, but that could easily be blocking a different view, or be inside a warehouse. “Are we still in the city?” He didn’t really expect to get much information about his whereabouts, but there was always a chance.

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 06:39:30 AM »
"It's not that easy," Yuri said, thinking of all the people he'd offended when trying to be honest about his intentions.  "I had a very good friend in the past, one that I connected very well with, so I understand about friendship and time and bonding.  When he died I was distraught, naturally, but eventually after mourning I understood that I missed more than just him.  I missed our friendship.  We shared an interest you see, and I pursued that idea with multiple attempts.  Nobody seems to enjoy the truth the way he and I did.  It's all a matter of posturing nowadays, of presenting oneself in the best possible light.  There are no understandings of self, or willingness to admit to flaws."

Yuri sighed, unable to describe how desperate he'd become before deciding on this tactic that Jason had opined against.

"It's been seventy years now," he said without considering that Jason might not know about the supernatural quality of this city.  "If I can't find friendship in all that time, I don't see another way.  Coercion in this form is the furthest I'll go."

There would be no pleasure in shaping someone's mind to be a friend.  It would be no less real than building one's self a mechanoid.

When asked about where they were, he freely admitted: "Yes, we're underground, but not terribly deep."  He wondered if Jason would choose to go up the ladder now.  It was unusual that he hadn't explored all of his potential exits.  Bizarre behaviour, almost as though he'd already resigned to his fate.
Infusco: Ben : Charon : Cicero : Helio : Jenna : Lazarus : Quin : Vincent : Yuri
Infusco Past: Tiberius
Oberon: Mayhew (Boy King)
Halflight: Samuel

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 06:57:33 AM »
Jason listened to his watcher’s explanation without interrupting. He could understand losing someone you were that close to – that feeling was still fresh in his own heart. And although he wouldn’t admit it at the moment, he had been lonely. He hadn’t really had much of a social life since his grandfather got ill since he needed constant care and he hadn’t made much attempt at starting fresh since then either. But he couldn’t imagine getting so desperate that he would kidnap someone like this.

He blinked in surprise at the announcement that it had been seventy years and the look of surprise on his face would be plain to see. Seventy? It wasn’t an old voice talking to him, it didn’t sound like it anyway. And how would someone that old have managed to drag him down here? If it had been seventy years since his friend died it meant this guy had to be pushing ninety at least.

It couldn’t be seventy, he must have misheard. Seventeen perhaps. Yes, that had to have been it. An echo in the sound systems maybe.

Distracted by the thoughts of his captor being so old it took Jason a few seconds to comprehend being told that they weren’t far underground. Maybe some kind of basement or something… His gaze fell on the ladder he’d been sat beside, frowning at it. It couldn’t lead outside, and if it did, it would be locked, like the other door. Jason already felt like an idiot for taking out his anger on the other door, and letting himself be taken in the first place, he didn’t want someone watching as he struggled to open another locked door.

“The door at the top of the ladder – does it go outside? It’s locked too, right? And did you say seventeen years?” he said, wanting to check that he had just misheard and not being able to get rid of that thought until he’d clarified it. If this guy was really old maybe he would have a chance at fighting his way out of here when the door opened. Being unfamiliar with the supernatural aspects of the city he didn’t think of the other possibilities of immortality – and being informed that locking someone up underground was as far as this voice would go did not give him much comfort given that he didn’t know about the other ways in which he could be forced mentally into becoming a willing participant in all of this.

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 09:14:14 PM »
Yuri let the silence stretch as he considered his answers.  Their relationship - as absurd as it was now in the beginning - was intended to be long term and one of trust.  They couldn't form a solid bond if the foundation was built on lies.  He had to tell Jason the truth, even if it sounded untrue to someone who might be ignorant to the larger world.

"The trap-door, it goes outside.  You'll be able to nourish yourself with sunlight up there," he said.  There was little emotion in his voice because he was thinking too hard about what he was going to say next.  "I said seventy.  Seven zero.  I have... experimented with immortality.  It has cost me a great deal, but I am grateful.  I don't waste my gift on trivial matters."  He chuckled softly, to himself.  "It eventually became clear that friendships and relationships are not as trivial as I once believed."

He waited for Jason's response.
Infusco: Ben : Charon : Cicero : Helio : Jenna : Lazarus : Quin : Vincent : Yuri

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 07:12:50 AM »
Jason pushed his seat back, preparing to stand and go outside as soon as he was told there was an outside, but he stilled as the voice went on. His mouth went dry at the words – he had obviously been taken by a lunatic. Of course, there had to have been something wrong with him for him to have captured someone and locked them in a space like this, but for him to think he was immortal? That was really messed up. He didn’t want to think about what his captor might have done that cost him so much, that made him think he was immortal. There were all sorts of horror stories, made up stuff, then things people had actually done in the belief it would make them live longer. All ridiculous beliefs, they’d all just been stories, or the ramblings of the delusional.

“No one’s immortal. Don’t talk rubbish,” Jason said, focusing on making himself stand and heading towards the ladder. If it led outside maybe there was a way out there – a fence he could climb, or maybe he could shout for help and be heard.

He climbed swiftly and shoved the door open. It was a relief to find that it wasn’t locked since his question on that hadn’t been answered, but his heart sank as he pulled himself up into the greenhouse. This wasn’t outside.

The smell of the plant life hit him and Jason took in a deep breath, but it didn’t bring a smile to his face. It was lush and beautiful, but it was just another cage. He eyed up the glass windows from where he sat, wondering how strong it was and cast his gaze around the room at the plants, looking for something heavy. Maybe a decorative statue, or a tub. Something that might break the glass if it was thrown at it.

“What’s your name?” he asked as he looked around, wondering why he hadn’t asked it before. If he managed to get out of here he wanted to be able to tell the police something – even if it was just a fake name.

And if breaking the glass didn't work, well, it would be better to have a name to put to the voice. It might help keep this lunatic on side as well if he showed interest in him. Immortality didn't exist, it couldn't. If there were people who were immortal everyone would know about it, especially in this day and age, with the technology available. People would know.

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 11:48:51 PM »
The anger demonstrated a portion of Jason's fears.  Yuri was well-read on the psychology of human emotion, hoping that studying it would help him.  In a way it had, but understanding the theories behind such things was very different to experiencing the emotions first hand.  Interpretation was difficult.  Motivation was harder still.  It made sense to Yuri that Jason would lash out at him, but it also confused him that Jason would feel brave enough already to antagonise him.  It was an interesting dilemma.

He didn't comment on Jason's refusal to believe he'd been alive for seventy years.  Yuri supposed he didn't need to be believed in order to tell the truth, though it was somewhat disheartening.  When Jason scrambled up to the greenhouse, Yuri left him to it.  He had no sound, no picture up there.  Nothing could hurt him there.  Yuri had decided that Jason would need an escape in order to maintain his sanity.  The greenhouse would be it.

It was only as an afterthought that he should've mentioned this to his captive.  Jason would figure it out soon enough.  Yuri left the sound on high volume so that he would hear any requests Jason might make upon returning to the basement.  It wasn't that he didn't trust his superior hearing, it was more he didn't trust his focus to be broken.

He had no idea his name was being sought.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 02:45:37 AM »
As he waited for the voice to respond Jason stood up and moved towards the glass, pressing a hand against it. There wasn’t much out there he could see, anything around looked pretty abandoned – obviously not even kids came here to hang out, otherwise there would be graffiti on the glass and more rubbish around.

“What, you fed up of talking to me?” Jason said after realising his question still hadn’t been answered. “Didn’t take long to get bored,” he added more quietly, examining the glass carefully and then pressing his ear to it. Sound proof, strengthened, no one was going to hear anything if they were just on the other side. Obviously there were no windows, no openings, no weaknesses.

Jason felt a wave of nausea and rested his cheek against the cool glass, taking a deep breath and exhaling to the count of five. He’d felt out of his depth plenty of times in his life, but there had always been an end in sight, or a ray of happiness in the midst of all the sadness. Now there was no guarantee he’d ever get out of here alive, he had been locked up by a madman who thought he was immortal and who now wasn’t even talking to him.

He took another deep breath then ducked down to scoop up a rock. His fingers pressed painfully against the rough surface as Jason backed up a few steps. Even as he hurled it with a shout of rage he knew it wasn’t going to do anything and Jason flinched as the rock hit the glass and bounced off without even making a scratch.

Talk to me then,” Jason shouted, his fists clenched as he yelled at the air around him. The queasiness returned and Jason stumbled towards the ladder, somehow managing to get himself down it without falling and made it to the kitchen sink before the sandwich he’d eaten a few minutes earlier made a reappearance. Jason retched until nothing was left in his stomach and his hands were shaking as he rinsed out his mouth with water and ran the taps until the sink was clear.

“Tell me your name,” Jason pleaded, still bent over the sink and clutching at the stainless steel.

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 03:50:36 AM »
He was only vaguely aware of the sounds of sickness as he worked.  His focus was on his written formula, which he knew was wrong, but he couldn't find why his calculations weren't giving him the numbers he was expecting.  His practical findings didn't match his written theory, and he was trying to make sense of it.

The request for his name was absorbed into his concentration, making ripples.  There was a delay as he gradually paid attention to it and realised the source of the voice.  Leaving behind his work and the attention he'd pored into his notes, Yuri moved quickly to the microphone and sat in the chair before it.

"Yuri," he said, not supplying his full name only because he preferred Jason to use his first name.  If questioned further though, with a demand for his surname, he would provide it.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 04:19:58 AM »
“Yuri,” Jason repeated with a small nod, straightening up and running a hand through his hair. His forehead felt clammy, but he doubted it was a proper fever, just worry. Yuri wasn’t a name he was familiar with really, but he assumed it was his first name. Not that it mattered. It might not even be his real name.

“So… are you just going to keep me here forever? To be your friend?” It didn’t sound any more sensible when he said it than when Yuri did. At least he knew this wasn’t something Yuri did all the time – this was his first attempt at befriending someone like this. There wasn’t a string of bodies hidden under the floor of failed friendship attempts.

“Why didn’t you answer me before? What were you doing?” he asked. When Yuri had taken his time to answer Jason had thought there was just going to be radio silence indefinitely. The idea that the conservatory was unobserved hadn’t occurred to him and to be honest the thought that Yuri was wondering off and getting distracted from the person he’d taken captive was a little insulting.

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 07:44:47 AM »
"You will only be kept until you no longer need to be," Yuri said, unwilling to share that he thought it might be a few years.  He knew Jason would've guessed that it would be a long time by now, that his extravagant quarters gave him enough information to successfully draw the correct conclusion.  There would come a time when Jason would ache for human contact so badly that it wouldn't matter if it was his captor.  There would come a time when he would look forward to Yuri's visits and they would become friends.  And there would come a time when he would want to join Yuri in eternity and be grateful for the opportunity.  He would understand why Yuri had done what he had, and feel himself lucky to have been chosen.  Who wouldn't want eternity, even when thrust upon them?

"I have answered each time, unless I couldn't hear."  Yuri said, thinking about whether he'd left Jason or been too focussed on his work.  He hadn't felt that intensity he sometimes did when working, so it stood to reason that Jason had spoken to him from above ground.  "The conservatory is your quiet space," he said.  "I cannot hear you.  If you wish to escape the cameras and have some truly solitary time, I've organised it so that you have that ability.  I think privacy will become very important to you, whilst in here."

Because he had none.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 05:14:03 PM »
Until you decide I no longer need to be, Jason thought, shaking his head gently. There was no time frame to how long this could last, but it obviously wasn’t going to be a short term affair if Yuri had put this much effort into it. And he hadn’t detailed how it would end either. What happened when Yuri didn’t believe he needed to be here any more? Or when he decided Jason wasn’t the friend he wanted? It seemed unlikely he would just be allowed back out onto the streets and if he wasn’t found down here before that time came then it seemed unlikely anyone would ever find his body if it came to that.

He lifted his eyes to the camera as Yuri said the surveillance wasn’t in the conservatory, wary about whether or not to believe him. It seemed odd that Yuri would have considered given him privacy when he obviously had none, but why would he lie about it? What reason could there be for making Jason believe he would be unobserved up there? Other than for his own peculiar amusement, of course.

His first plan in here had been to refuse to say anything (which hadn’t really worked when he’d had so many questions) but now there was somewhere he could be possibly be unseen too. How long would Yuri want to keep around an empty house?

Without saying anything in response Jason headed into his room to grab his rucksack which had a book he’d just started. A trip to the fridge after that to get a couple of bottles of water and – after staring at the contents thoughtfully for a few seconds Jason also selected the bottle of ketchup before heading back to the ladder and ascending into his little garden. He wandered around, moving a few plants here and there until he could see and reach a clear space in the glass easily then he began to smear the ketchup onto the glass. Maybe no one would ever come here, but if they did he wanted to get their attention.

HELP ME
I’M TRAPPED
IN HERE

He stepped back, frowning at the words. He’s written them backwards so that someone outside would be able to read them and tried to keep it short but hopefully urgent enough that someone might look into it.

The young man then took his place in one of the patio chairs positioned in the conservatory and picked up his book, settling down for the long haul. He had every intention of staying here as long as he could. He knew he’d need to pop to the bathroom and get food at some point, but that wouldn’t be too exciting for Yuri to watch surely? Well – Jason wouldn’t have thought watching anyone trapped in a tiny apartment would be interesting to watch but Yuri obviously found some delight in that. He had to come in here at some point though, surely, otherwise how did he really expect to become friends? Then Jason could try to get out past him.

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 08:25:37 AM »
Yuri reflected that he would have to talk to his guest, should he wish to form a friendship with him, but this wasn't the right time.  Timing was everything, he thought.  He would give Jason a day's grace, and after he awoke from his first sleep, they could talk.  Except the young man had disappeared upstairs.

So Yuri waited.  He was a very patient man.  He'd been a patient man even before he'd been sired into vampirism.  Jason wouldn't be used to that yet, he supposed, but the mortal would surely feel overwhelmed with too much information at once?  If he wanted a friendship, then Jason's opinion would have to be considered.  How to demonstrate that?

He waited until Jason could no longer keep himself in the conservatory.  It had taken a very long time, and obviously the young man had been forced to give in from either hunger or toileting needs.  Whichever one it was, Jason certainly looked uncomfortable.  As soon as he had completed his trip back down the ladder, Yuri used the microphone.

"I have to get some nutrients for myself, but this will take some hours," he explained.  "I was hoping to remain with you until you went to sleep, so I could answer any questions you pose to me, but you've forced me to acknowledge you want nothing to do with me.  So now I ask, what is your preference?  Questions to be answered now or do you wish me to leave?"

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 04:59:07 PM »
Jason had stayed upstairs as long as he possibly could. Hunger he could handle, but he knew he’d need to use the bathroom eventually and it was that which eventually brought him climbing down the ladder. He had intended on going straight to the bathroom and then retreating straight back upstairs but Yuri’s voice interrupted him.

Without thinking about it, Jason glanced upwards, looking for the source of the invisible voice even though he knew he would see nothing. The frown he seemed to have been wearing since he woke up creased his forehead again, disliking Yuri’s turn of phrase. Nutrients? Why couldn’t he just say he needed food like a normal person? But then again this guy obviously wasn’t normal. He’d locked up Jason and believed himself to be immortal.

“My preference is for you to let me out,” Jason replied sharply. All of the questions he wanted answering right now had been answered, nothing else seemed to matter.

“But if you won’t do that then leave me alone,” he added after a beat, not wanting to go around in circles with Yuri again and just end up frustrating himself more.