Author Topic: Together Again.  (Read 7574 times)

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
Together Again.
« on: November 02, 2013, 09:36:51 AM »
(Reserved for CowboyBlonde)

Sam waited near the southward side of Glitter Beach for Scott as she slowly puffed on a menthol cigarette. She looked upon the series of treacherous cliffs pockmarked with tide pools, a place of solitude at this time of night. She remember Scott had a liking for the rain and she had chosen this place to make him feel a little relaxed, it was as close as rain as they were going to get tonight. She could feel the spray of the salty sea against her face, small beads of moisture had started to appear on her light blue coat. She almost thought she wore this coat too much but she was just to lazy to go buy another coat to wear, this one served it's purpose quite well. She gazed at the rocks again looking for caves and such that were hidden within the cliffs, she wasn't standing at the cliffs but her vampire eye's could see the cliffs from here just fine. Only thing was missing was Scott.

She took another puff before turning her eye's northward from where Scott should be coming from, Sam had arrived early as usual a sort of habit she had gotten into when she was working at the old Risk. It had come in handy for when she started her teaching gig at the Academy yesterday, she had wondered if the news had reached Scott that she was teaching. She was sure he already knew being an agent of the Ward and all, then again stranger things have happened. Her body started to quiver with excitement, she would finally have some quality time with her brother which had been long over due. She missed their long talks about the most outrageous things, she even missed their serious talks too about things she wasn't suppose to know at all. But Scott knew she could keep a secret which was why he shared those types of things with Sam, such as blood sharing and etc. Call it a brother and sister thing.

She thought she saw someone coming up the beach, she squinted her eye's as the figure was still to far away. She started to walk towards the figure that made it's way up to where Sam was standing. In a few moments she would see that it was her brother. She started running towards him, laughing and running at the same time. She threw her smoke to the ground immediately. She frantically waved her arms at Scott trying to get his attention if he hadn't already seen her waving like a fool. She had chills for it had been a long time since she had seen Scott in person.

"SCOTT OVER HERE!" She yelled at the top of her lungs as she slowed from running to a standstill stop, still waving away. He had Celerity he put it to good use she thought jokingly, besides tonight they would be alone. No camera's or audio recorders or anything like that just her and Scott. Just like the old days when she was first brought into this family, her and Scott bonded great and she hoped that bond between them hadn't changed.       

Offline CowboyBlonde

• Scribe
  • Write with no boundaries.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Together Again.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:32:50 AM »
The light turned green and Scott proceeded to press on the gas, gliding his smooth car through the intersection.  It was the start of a long weekend and the city was bustling with drunken college students, kissing co-eds hopping from one bar to the next.  If he were still human, he’d probably be doing the same.  The thought of hitting a bar, after everything had happened, wasn’t half bad.  The police doubled their numbers tonight.  Scott noticed the hidden patrol cars, as well as the under cover ones.  There was no such thing as too many units, especially on a night like this one.  Scott hadn’t shown up to work in over two weeks, his choice.  He’d built up a good number of vacation days that he was putting to good use.  Though after everything that’s happened lately, he debated on quitting.  The other guys on the force were confused about his absence; they’d never seen Scott miss a day of work.

A loud vibration came from the center console.  Without looking, Scott opened it up and grabbed his cell phone.  It was a text from Sam that read ‘I’m here.’ Scott sighed, she’s always early.  Tonight he was meeting her at Glitter Beach, on the outskirts of the city.  He hadn’t seen his sister since Opening night at Vulture, a little over a month ago, where he embarrassed himself in front of every important person of the city.  Since then, Scott’s laid low. Sam’s calls have gone unanswered, and her texts were never responded to.  Texts that read, ‘Scott I’m not mad at you.’ Or, ‘Scott, please call me I’m worried.’  It wasn’t until yesterday that Scott finally sent a text back, agreeing to meet and talk ‘like we used to’ Sam would say.

Scott looked completely drained. His emotional outbursts of the recent past were starting to take their toll.   His stubble had grown to a short beard and his hair was longer than usual, causing random curls.  He looked pale, even for a vampire.  He sat in silence, no radio, no police scanner. 

As he reached the outskirts, he could see the endless ocean.  His shoulders seemed to relax a bit.  He knew that’s why Sam had picked this spot; it was quiet and calm.  Scott pulled his car into spot over looking the beach. The moon was the only source of light here, apart from the occasional beam from the lighthouse.  He sat there for a moment, staring out into the ocean, arguing with himself about whether or not he should’ve come.

Finally he opened the door and stepped out. The air was moist tonight and the salty breeze brushed across his face.  He walked to a set of wooden steps leading down to the sand.  Scott decided to take off his socks and shoes and leave them at the top step.  The glittering sand felt cool between his toes, he closed his eyes for a moment to hear nothing but the sound of the crashing waves, until Sam yelled for him.  His eyes popped open to the sight of Sam running towards him with a huge smile on her face.  Scott forced a smile and again wondered if this was the right choice.

Scott chose to simply walk where she had stopped.  He opened his arms, offering a hug.  “Hey, sis.”
INFUSCO: Scott / Blake / Parker
ZOMBIE MANIA: Christian / Joel
HALFLIGHT: Mason

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:18:32 AM »
Sam was thrilled when Scott finally arrived and immediately embraced the hug he had offered with her own bear hug around his ribs. At first she didn't notice how pale Scott had become or that he had a little more than just stubble on his chin.

As she broke away from the hug they had given each other, then she noticed he was pale and had grown a beard and his hair out the last time she had seen him. She looked at him for a bit before smiling and shaking her head, thinking everything seemed okay. Sam was unaware that he had been off from the Ward for two weeks, if she did she would have known something was up.

"You are pale, means you work too damn much." She quipped at him with her right hand on her hip, Scott did say he had been busy and of course Sam just assumed it was because of work. Her hand slid it's way off her hip and down at her side as she commented on his appearance.   

"The beard makes you look older but I think it needs a bit of a trim. Same with your hair but it needs an actual cut not a trim." She grinned at him, she had never seen Scott with curly hair or a beard. It still didn't dawn on her that maybe by his appearance something was not right.

"Oh and I started a new job yesterday. Can you guess where?" She quizzed him thinking for sure he knew the answer to this question. She had been a little down after losing her job at the old Risk now Ventrue and even though yesterday was her first day she was glad to be working again.

Offline CowboyBlonde

• Scribe
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 10:50:08 AM »
Scott pushed Sam's remarks aside with a fake chuckle.  She was right, he did need a haircut and a sahve.  He wasn't doing well keeping up the appearance that everything was 'okay'.  Sam was so happy to see him. Everything he felt from her was genuine, which made him feel bad because what he was giving her, was not.  He avoided eye contact, looking out into the ocean. 

He couldn't guess where her new job was. He didn't even know she lost her old one. No one told him, because he hadn't spoken to anyone in a while, he barley speaks to Conner these days.  "Where is it?" he asked, not even attempting to guess.  He gestured for her to sit as he walked a bit closer to the water and sat in the sand.  He didn't stop to think she might not enjoy sitting in the sand with what she was wearing.  He sat with his knees up and placed his forearms on top of them, intertwining his fingers.  Still his gaze was locked on the ocean, listening to Sam speak.  For a moment he wondered what it would be like to be a creature of the sea, not having to worry about what anyone thought of you.  Or not having to worry about what you kill to survive.

The waves weren't very big tonight; just small tides crashing to the sand.  Still the sound was soothing.  it was crazy to think such beauty was just outside the raging city.  A place that is so quiet, minutes from a place that was so crazy with noise, and none of it could be heard from the sand.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 06:53:27 PM »
She was gracious for the chuckle she got from Scott even if his gesture was just an illusion. She expressed some tenderness towards him as her excitement started to come down a notch, not enough to register Scott's unusual behavior. She looked out to the sea when Scott did, not even sure what he had seen in those dark waters at that moment.

She gave him a small look when he didn't even bother to guess, has work fatigued him that much? She sat down beside Scott with a soft sounding 'thump' on the sand. She looked over a very intense thinking Scott before she too returned her gaze to the sea. She sat bent at the knee's,  removed her shoes and socks then buried her feet in the sand. Her fingers easily slid themselves underneath the wet porous sand that surrounded them.

"I started my first day teaching at Ben's Academy yesterday," her own words felt foreign on her tongue. "I never thought I would become a teacher, ever." She shook her head with a slight grin still gazing out at the soothing sea. Waiting for Scott to say something, anything.   

Offline CowboyBlonde

• Scribe
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 07:58:50 AM »
"Teaching?" Scott said with a confused look in Sam's direction.  He didn't know she was even remotely interested in teaching.  "What is it that you teach?"  Of course a congratulations was in order, but Scott seemed to skip that step.  He started to think just how much he's been left out of the loop.  "And Ben has an Academy?" Scott looked out to the crashing waves again, shaking his head "Where the hell have i been?" 

Scott wanted to ask about Bryant, but didn't know if it was appropriate.  Scott hadn't seen his progeny, nor had he spoken to him since the attack that night.  He was too ashamed with himself to make contact.  A part of Scott wished he never had to, that would be easier, but it wouldn't be the noble thing to do.  Meeting with Sam was the first step of many to work towards rebuilding the relationships with his family.  He hadn't apologized to Conner or Jake either. surely facing Jake would be the most daunting task. 

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 05:01:44 PM »
"I am teaching the story of Caine and the history of the Ventrue clan." Answering Scott's question with a chipper tone. The sea was dangerously calm this time of night, it was the perfect night for a nice visit with her brother. Then something Scott said caught her attention, she had missed a few hints before that something was not right.

She turned her head towards Scott when he expressed his confusion of Ben setting up the Academy. She found this odd and turned her head sharply, taking a long hard look at Scott. Gazing at him non-judgmentally she said nothing. Sam was even unsure if his question 'Where the hell have I been?' was rhetorical or not. After a moment of silence she spoke to him.

"Scott what's wrong?" She asked him with concern, not wanting him to shy away. Moving herself closer to Scott she wanted him to feel comfortable confiding in his little sister. She had forgiven him long ago for what happened at Ventrue, Scott had carried the burden of his mistake for long enough. It was time to make amends in the family, this was a good start.

Offline CowboyBlonde

• Scribe
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 06:01:27 AM »
Scott wondered for a moment who Sam was teaching the history of Vampires to, young vamps? That would've been his next question if Sam hadn't caught on to his current mood.  What isn't wrong? Scott thought.  He didn't answer her question, instead he just sat there staring at the moonlit water.

"How is Bryant doing?"  He asked without turning his attention to his sister.  The memory of what happened that night flashed through Scott's mind, as if stuck on a loop.  There were so many times throughout these months that Scott wished he could take it all back.  But there was something inside of him that was different, something dark.  A rage he couldn't control.  A small voice in the back of his mind telling him that what he did was right. 

What parent would do that to their child?

Scott thought of his own parents in that moment.  Of course it wasn't the first time, especially through all of this time he's spent alone.  He wondered where they were.  If they were still living in the same house.  He wondered if they tried looking for him after he disappeared after being turned.

"Do you ever think about what you might be doing if you hadn't been sired?"  The words escaped Scott's mouth without hesitation.  "Do you ever wish you weren't a vampire? That you could just switch it off or something?"

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 07:39:28 AM »
Sam was a little stunned by Scott's evasion of her question, normally he would answer any question she had but she could tell something was up with Scott. It hurt Sam a little that he would just ignore her attempts to help Scott with whatever was bottled up inside. No longer looking at Scott she returned her gaze out to the sea; raking the sand between her fingers she decided not to push Scott too much. She was scared at this point he would run away.

Her eye brows shot up when Scott had asked about Bryant. What the fuck is going on? She thought intensely as she watched the waves crash and dance with each other. It was extremely odd that Scott would ask about Bryant and somehow she knew this went deeper than Scott was willing to admit.

"He's good," she drew out calmly. "Two weeks ago we went dancing and then we had a video game night a few days ago in my room. Bastard is good too he kept kicking my ass at most of the games. I'm a bit of a button masher apparently." She shook her head, her nephew was full of surprises.

Sam was about to ask him again what was wrong but his outburst of questions made it clear that the events of the past was plaguing his mind. She forced her hand into Scott's and squeezed it hard. His questions hit her on a level she hadn't thought about for many years, she was quiet for a while trying to put her thoughts into words. Words that would soothe Scott and not cause him to run for the hills.

"Well my main and only priority was to finish school, I have accomplished that goal. Then after that I didn't know what I wanted, in truth I actually didn't want to think about it. Going back home to Canada... just was not an option anymore." She shook her head a little, pausing in between her sentences.

"It's sad but in a way the thought of my families graves was the only moment I use to experience true love or happiness for a lot of years. That love remained infinite, kept me going through those dark thoughts I once had." She sighed and stopped, she never did like talking about the past but with Scott it always seemed a little easier.

However his second set of questions about being a vampire caused some alarm for Sam. What was he trying to say? That he was sick of being a vampire? She hoped not and she hoped he wasn't planning on walking out into the sun, she felt as if she was standing on thin ice.

"If I wasn't a vampire Scott I would be dead plain and simple." It sounded harsh but it was true if Jake hadn't come along she would have perished. She shook her head that didn't come out right at all, she squeezed his hand again.

"I am sorry that just came out wrong. I guess deep down I always wanted to be apart of the supernatural world one way or another. Even if I was an accident Jake gave me a home, I gained a brother and a brother in law. You and Conner gave me a nephew making me an honorary Aunty. Something I never would have had in my mortal life." She smiled a little thinking of all the things she had now.

"Let me ask you something Scott," she was still staring out at the sea. "Is vampire who you are or is a vampire what you are? That my dear brother is the question you must ask yourself." She squeezed his hand again to get a response out of him, Scott needed Sam at this moment and she wasn't going to let him down. She was curious for his answer.

Offline CowboyBlonde

• Scribe
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 08:45:31 AM »
Her hand squeezing his was the most affection he'd been shown in a long time.  He would have pulled away if he didn't actually want it so desperately.  Scott was glad to hear that Bryant was doing well.  That he wasn't somehow traumatized by Scott's mistake.  He wanted to apologize but something just wasn't letting him. 

"I don't know." Scott responded to Sam's last question. He looked down at his feet now, his toes were burying themselves in the sand.  "I didn't choose this life.  I loved my family. Sure, things weren't perfect but i still don't think i would have chosen this life even if i had to.  I was taken advantage of.  Against my free will."  Scott stopped talking, due to a flash of memory that passed through him.  He thought of the night he sired Bryant.  Scott took him against his will.  A rush of a emotion hit him.

A single red tear formed around his left eye and dripped down his face.  "I'm different now Sam."  He looked at her. "Since that night Bryant was sired, I've been different. Something changed inside of me. A part of me grew dark.  It's something i can't control."  Then he looked down at their hands, clasped together.  "I don't know if I want this life anymore."

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 04:02:28 PM »
Sam was shocked to see how far Scott had seemed to travel down the road of darkness. She watched almost helplessly as Scott cried in front of Sam, she had never seen him cry. His words stung Sam like a thousand bee's ravaging her body over and over with pain. She also wanted to cry with Scott but in the end she fought against the urge to let her tears stream down her face at this moment.

"I know not everyone get's the choice to be what we are ..." she stopped whispering. It was hard for Sam to get the words she wanted to out of her mouth. This whole thing was difficult for Sam to swallow. She felt so in the dark on how Scott was really feeling, they had been so close at one time.

"Are you telling me that you are that you want to just run away?" She asked as alarm riddled her voice. This was not how she imagined her visit to go with her brother. She squeezed his hand hard as she felt herself starting to crack. 

"Don't you dare lie to me or I'll throw you into the ocean," trying to sound tough. Fighting the battle in keeping it together. She didn't understand what he was truly saying and in turn her frustration started turning to anger.