Author Topic: On War and Peace  (Read 7493 times)

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
On War and Peace
« on: April 08, 2019, 07:54:27 PM »
It was a cool and bitter night as Saraekiel landed near the outskirts of the Dios del Noche Woodlands. He raked his eyes over the shadow filled woods and grimaced with distaste. Not because of the trees but because of the creatures that called it home. Keynigh and his demented wolf pack. He came hoping for the best but prepared for the worst and so was dressed accordingly. His hair was tied back and he was dressed in loose but close fitting black pants, boots and a dark blue tank top; both would allow for quick and efficient movements without allowing for much chance for a handhold (or in this case teeth and claw holds) with his weapons only a though away, as always.

He pulled his phone from his pocket and checked his messages as he gave the remaining residents of the Dios del Noche Woodland a chance to be alerted to his presence before he entered the tree line.

It was a text from Zoheret warning him about their favourite little mosquito. Zoheret was more then smart enough to handle Jake McCloud and Saraekiel had faith in their alliance…to a point. Dark Angels didn’t stay on a sinking ship, and although his ship wasn’t sinking it wasn’t exactly smooth sailing either. His claim to the North and North East was based on him bringing the supernatural community of that area together.

In one hand he had a pack of luna challenged lycanthropic furballs, and in the other, he had this wolf clan of fanatical angel hating zealots to contend with, and the DWC and he had some dark history. Time to see if it could be put to bed and see if there could be peace between them.

He quickly replied to Zoheret, slipped his phone back into his pocket and strolled into the wolf’s den.

“Keynigh!” he called out into the gloom “I’ve come to talk, not fight so don’t attack” He scanned the gloom carefully not just with his eyes but with his gifts as well.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
Re: On War and Peace
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 08:27:20 AM »
Keynigh enjoyed the few days of bliss that had been bestowed onto them, Flick was a wonderful and polite guest. Keynigh and his packmates along with the guest were in the inner skirts of the forest, Wrage and Flick were play fighting among themselves. Both Wrage and Extasis had taken a liking to the vampire, an encouraging outcome to this young pup showing up. Pinkey had nestled himself in Keynigh's back, for the time being, soundly sleeping in his soft fur. His head down and resting between his paws suddenly shot up, it could not be? He felt a dark disturbance in the forest one that he knew too well, it was a Dark Angel and one he encountered countless times in the past.

When Keynigh heard Saraekeil's voice wash over the forest Wrage stopped playing and growled furiously. Keynigh gave him a stern look, Wrage always had a weakness for going after Angels. This was not their goal anymore, shaking Pinkey awake and politely beckoning Pinkey off his back. Stretching as he rose along with a piercing howl to instill a little respect in Angel before addressing the group.

"You will all stay here and I will engage him alone. I will summon you if it's a trap." Speaking in wolf before sauntering off towards the outskirts of the forest to meet Saraekiel, his old nemesis of long ago.

Not surprised as he reached the outskirts that Saraekiel would be in such clothes, narrowing his eyes at the Angel. His head low not out of respect but wary of his foe, why would the Angel come now? He already took the North and what business did he think they had to discuss now? He stopped far enough away should this was a trap and should he need the space to charge the Angel. Keynigh reached out to Saraekiels mind to establish a connection of communication, nothing more. Keynigh's dark fur blended into the night, making him look like a silhouette of floating blue eyes in the dark.

Saraekiel you are far from home... what brings you to my door? Keynigh simply started to the Dark Angels mind, no emotion involved.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 09:04:53 AM »
Extasis had been happy for the first time in a long while.  The newcomer had brought the energy of a pup that felt bittersweet--reminding her of when the pack was larger with more young ones to race through the trees with.  It reminded her of her daughter, but she tried not to dwell on that so much.  The rat was fascinating, it was hard to not want to eat the creature or at least hold it in her mouth to taste.  But she was being polite. 

She was watching the playfighting between Flick and Wrage, black tail wagging and tongue lolling out of her mouth.  She wanted to join, and watched closely for an opening that was best suited for a surprise "attack."  But then there was a presence in the wood.  Something that made the fur all over stand on end.  The black wolf let out a low growl.

Ex knew that voice.  And her teeth ached to bury themselves into his flesh, to rip and tear and crunch down on bone!

Keynigh commanded that they stay, and Ex whined a protest--she did not want to see another of her pack slain.  She wouldn't withstand another death.  She rushed to nuzzle her head against his side, inhaling the scent lingering in his fur as if it would be the last time she could do so.  Watching him leave to find the dark angel, she paced anxiously back and forth and looked to Wrage for reassurance, emitting a low whine. 

"I don't trust the angel--I want to taste his blood!"  she lamented, sitting now. 
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 10:00:14 AM »
Flick was enjoying the game of wrestle. Wrage was strong enough to make it interesting and he was hoping Ex would pounce on in. The dark wolves were a small family, but they loved the earth and each other. Flick would be going to look for Digital soon. He missed his strange friend, and wondered if he’d like his new wolf pack. Of course, Flick was getting ahead of himself as usual. He wasn’t sure he wanted to be a Dark Wolf. They had so much violence in their past, and it had cost them so many. However the white wolf thought he could restore some light to the darkness facing his noble friends. He wanted to help them realize that peace was always better than war.

Pinky hadn’t wanted to play wrestle and so Flick had left his animal familiar with Keynigh, noble master of this group. He could sense his sleeping companion and knew he was safe. All had been well until the smells of blood, sulfur and fire entered his snout. He remembered this particular scent from the big house where he’d tracked Digital. Was this the golden man? Flick sensed the tension and licked Wrage to calm him. He was a guest and so would not speak unless his hosts required it of him. He did wish Pinky was next to him though.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 06:01:19 PM »
He sensed him there, watching from the shadows. He and Keynigh had fought too many times for him not to become wary, so he readied himself, if an attack was coming it would come from the flanks. He waited, his hands by his side ready to call blade and fire, At the absence of an attack however and not sensing any wolves approaching he relaxed slightly.

At the brush of Keynigh’s mind against his, he tensed again.  He doubted Keynigh intended to attack that way, he and his people had learned the hard way that his mind was not an easy target, but he was in enemy territory and he was on edge.

He could have replied mind to mind but he wanted everyone to hear and so replied aloud.

“To talk Keynigh. This war of yours against me and mine has gone on long enough. I thought I would come and see if you were open to making peace” He smiled at the end with a twisting up at the corners of his mouth. Keynigh’s clans hatred for angels and their desire to kill them was almost instinctual, he doubted they would be overly interested in peace with him.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 05:03:18 PM »
"We must trust in your father my love. I do not trust the angel either," he did not like to see his wife this way.

Wrage gave thanks to Flick with a friendly lick, then tried to comfort his mate by nuzzling her face and neck, pacing back and forth was never good for his wife. They had lost so much but they needed to trust Keynigh and his visions from Akasha of peace. He knew as did Extasis that the choice to hunt for Angels weighed heavily on his conscience, he blamed himself for the death of Tala and the others. He had made the decision years ago to continue on his late father's path, a grave mistake. Wrage did not blame Keynigh for the death of his daughter, this is what they signed up for in the past and he trusted Keynigh's judgement. Just as Wrage had faith in Keynigh now and the visions he had received from Akasha.

Keynigh wrinkled his snout at Saraekiel when he spoke of making peace, the wind rustling the grass ever so slightly.  Like an attempt to convey Akasha's presence in the forest, something that would surprise Saraekiel. The tides had turned for once and Saraekiel would feel their hermaphrodite deity on this plane, after being lost for generations. The Dark Wolves had wandered long enough, it had been almost two years since they had returned to the city.

This war of ours? I nor my clan have spilled any blood since Akasha has come back and revealed to me the history of lost past. Keynigh did not know how much Saraekiel knew of Averllin and he kept quiet on the subject.

So what exactly is making peace to you? Hesitate to believe that the Angel truly wanted peace.

Something was amiss and once again a gentle breeze would blow for a mere moment, solidifying the fact there was more than what Saraekiel was letting on. Keynigh remained on high alert while giving Saraekiel a chance to speak his mind. Although he didn't have high hopes that what Saraekiel would propose something that would be equal and beneficial to both parties.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 11:21:06 PM »
Extasis pulled away from Wrage's attempts to comfort, listening to the poison dripping from the angel's mouth.  Her ears were pressed flat against her head as she paced angrily back and forth.

He dares talk of peace?  She answered her husband mentally.  Indignantly she sat on her haunches, raised her head high and let out an angry howl.  They could surround the angel!  Catch him off-guard!  They were four to his one!

She wanted to trust the visions her father had.  But she wanted bloody justice just as badly.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 12:48:26 AM »
Saraekiel raised an eyebrow as he felt the presence of an alien being with every strange ripple and wave of the grass.

"What is that?" he asked with mild curiosity "Akasha? who is that? A new pack member? and what history?" It had been a few years since he had entered these woods but there had most definitely not been this strange presence haunting the trees back then.

"Yes, your war Keynigh. It is, or was your pack that hunted me and mine, that declared us abomination and seeked to kill us." he shook his head in disbelief and resignation. Were Keynigh and his clan of rabid mutts now going to claim innocence? claim they were the victims? When it was they that had always been the aggressors?

As Extasis' distant howl filled the tree he smiled sharply. Keynigh was the strongest but she? She had always been the most relentless, the most aggressive in her need to kill his kind, over the years her need had become personal and had shifted from his kind to him, he had thought she had died years ago, he had certainly left her near death the last time they tangled.

"So lovely to hear your voice again Extasis" he said into the gloom. " You're keeping well I hope?"

He flicked his eyes through the shadows, searching for keynigh.

"Peace is peace Keynigh. To put our past behind us, to strive for a better future were we can live together in some sort of harmony. To find an understanding so that we can stop trying to kill each other." he replied with a sigh

"I guess the question should be reversed. What does peace mean to you and yours Keynigh besides the death of every angel, light dark or fallen."

The other supernatural groups of the North had excepted him as District Leader but the DWC could become a thorn in his side if he couldn't forge some kind of accord with them.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
Keynigh ignored Saraekiels question of curiosity of Akasha and its presence in the forest. It did not surprise Keynigh that Saraekiel would not know of Akasha or the history of Averllin, that had been long before his time as a prodigy. Even his own God had tried to wipe out the history between the shapeshifters and Angels, how angry would Saraekiel be to learn that his history was a lie? To find out how the war was started by an Arch-Angel whose obsession with Averllin never ceased, the humans that were innocently slaughtered. The Angels of Lights mere warning before turning their backs and letting his clan sort out the mess. No, Keynigh would keep these visions to himself and he knew Saraekiel would not accept the information without some sort of doubt or deny the fact altogether. Saraekiel was an arrogant man and was not one who took to being proven wrong lightly.

An eerie howl cut into the night like a hot knife through butter and Keynigh could only shake his head, his daughters lust for violence stemmed from his own teachings. He could no longer follow that path like his own father, who had been dead for years now and he regretted following the path of violence like his forefathers.

Keynigh shook his head at the comment peace was peace, that was not always right. To accept peace without knowing the terms were foolish and Keynigh would not fall for that simple of an answer. A better future for who? The Angels? There were too many variables in his too simple of an answer.

"Peace to me means hope that my line will not die out. That my grandchildren will grow old and perhaps they can have a normal life without endless violence," things Saraekiel did not understand. He neither cared or loved no one as a Dark Angel or as far as Keynigh knew from Saraekiel's past history

"I can not agree with peace is just peace with you Saraekiel. You take the North and yet you only come to us now? Why?" Starting at Saraekiel with harsh eyes.

If this was Saraekiels idea of peace it was a poorly executed plan, did he think that being a district leader would give him more sway? If he truly wanted peace why not come before being elected leader? These things did not sit with Keynigh well, he felt his clan had been singled out.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »
Saraekiel arched his brow as he stared into the gloom of the woods. Did Keynigh feel slighted because he didn't come to them to ask for their permission? Did the Dark Wolf Clan really expect him to come to them? His clan consisted of less then a handful of shifters and those shifters kept to themselves and their woods unless they were killing his kind. How would they have helped him win over the community?

" I took the North Keynigh because I had no choice. You have kept abreast of whats going on outside of these woods and your clan. The vampires have made it abundantly clear, you rule or you bow."

He scanned the shadows again then sighed. He wanted peace with these mutts, not because he needed them but because he wanted the North to be a united front and a stable seat of power. He didn't want to rule people, in fact he insisted they rule themselves and they were welcome to do whatever they wished as long as the kept the peace and were willing to defend the North and accept him as its Leader.

Standing all threatning like and talking to the shadows was getting him nowhere so to show he really was here to talk he took a few step back and once his back was to a tree he slowly sat down and crossed his legs in front of him.

" I will give you that peace Keynigh if you are willing to end this feud of yours with my kind. You want to keep killing Angels, that's up to you, hell, I'll even help." he said with a wicked smile. "But Fallen and Dark angels are off the hit list." He narrowed his eyes as he looked in the direction where he felt Keynigh to be. "Will you come out of the shadows and talk terms with me or am I wasting my time?"

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 10:51:19 AM »
Keynigh curled his snout when Saraekiel spoke of not having a choice in taking the North, there was always a choice. Saraekiel's poor attempt to throw the vampires under the bus was ridiculous, it made him shake his head slightly. Keynigh knew not all vampires would make the shifters bow, Flick was not like that at all when he entered the woods. Keynigh gave the vampires more leniency than the Dark Angels, both had their own agendas. But Keynigh did not know what the vampires were as none of the district leaders, other than Saraekiel had approached their clan.

Keynigh was intrigued by Saraekiels actions of sitting down in front of a tree, he was still wary of the Dark Angel. It did, however, give Keynigh some peace and he emerged from the shadows and he slowly walked towards Saraekiel. He wanted to talk about ending this feud and yet he did not know the truth, Keynigh wondered what history was taught to Saraekiel before he had fallen. Keynigh stopped a few feet from Saraekiel and promptly sat on his hind legs before addressing Saraekiel.

"What do you know of Averllin?" His question came with a serious tone.

Keynigh wanted to gauge what all Saraekiel knew or what exactly had he been told by the Arch-Angels of Light. He wanted to talk terms and yet he knew little of the past, that was unsettling. If there was to be a chance of peace or even an alliance Saraekiel must learn the truth. Or would he deny it? Keynigh has his bets that Saraekiel would deny the truth, he did not have high hopes that an agreement could be made.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 01:30:08 PM »
Flick remained with Ex and Wrage, uneasy about the visitor. He was starting to get curious, but these weren't his people yet. It was odd he'd begun to think of them that way in such a short time. He transformed out of lupine form into homid form, and now a beautiful blonde boy stood before his friends. His cheeks and hips were still full of baby fat, but the rest of him was lean. He didn't make moves to cover his genitals. It was natural to him them. He sat on his bum and closed his eyes as he continued to wait.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras