Author Topic: Opening Night  (Read 61494 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Night
« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2013, 06:13:21 AM »
Jeanne lay her hands in her lap, elbows resting on the arms of her chair and smiled at Jake as he left.  The expression became less open and more curious when she gazed back at Conner, wondering what his motives were.  "I will agree to Bryant visiting Venture with nominated chaperones," she conceded at the outset, hoping to open their discourse on a positive note.  She didn't want Scott back in the establishment, though, and if Conner argued for that after she and Jake had agreed otherwise, then this discussion was about to head south very quickly.  She refrained from mentioning him in order to prevent that as long as possible.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 29, 2013, 09:54:53 AM »
Vivianne allowed him to help her by smiling sweetly and then taking his arm.  He'd seen the uncertainty in her face momentarily, and then led her upstairs to find her friend with Owen followed the pair.  They were unaware they'd missed Ben's departure from the staircase, as well as the local District Leader for this area.  It didn't take long to find Vivianne's friend, but before the women left the recently reunited couple, Vincent managed to exchange some contact details from Vivianne, for they'd talked about her love of music and the instruments she played had interested Vincent no end.  Owen had been silent throughout, as the pair of them chatted, and then the loud Morgaine had taken over and shunted Vivianne away, leaving sire and fledgling standing with one another.

"Shall we walk around?" he invited Owen, not wanting to pass up the opportunity to look around the place, even though it was busy, as well as spending as much time tonight with his fledge as possible.  He automatically reached for Owen's hand.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline realworldweirdo

• Scribe
  • Improvement via destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2013, 11:51:01 PM »
"Thank you," Conner replied genuinely. It wasn't in his power to protect Scott from Jake, and although he was worried, that wasn't something to drag Jeanne into. "After the events of tonight, it's more than I'd hoped for. Jake and I have developed a.... complex relationship in the last few years. I'm sorry that things came to a head tonight." His face contracted into a momentary wince that he didn't think to restrain. "Fledglings." The single word compressed affection and weary endurance together.

"The simple form of what happened tonight is that Scott, the man with the gun, is my lover, and Bryant is my fledgling, co-sired with Scott. Jake is Scott's adopted sire. It seems that we've both neglected our duties to them somewhat in the bustle of our new positions. I've never seen Scott react like that, but...."

his mind flicked briefly back to the first night he'd met Scott, and suddenly he wasn't so sure of the truth of that statement

"he seems to have misinterpreted what he saw between Bryant and myself."

He realized he was rambling a bit, and stopped. Jeanne would be able to work out that Jake was essentially holding his lover hostage on her own, if she gave it some thought. The entire situation was a train wreck to the power of four.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2013, 11:52:44 PM »
Despite her discretionary omission, Conner seemed ready to give details on topics she might have wondered about but would certainly never ask.  She tilted her head as she listened to the family's complicated geneology, wondering if he was telling her all this for a purpose or whether he perhaps just wanted to get things off his chest.  "There is no confusion of your feelings between your lover and your childe?" she enquired, her tone mildly curious but certainly not judgmental.  She was in no such position.  If anything, she was sensing a possible kindred spirit, which certainly piqued her interest.

Owen looked at Vincent's hand and then his gaze lifted slowly to meet his sire's.  He smiled and took the proferred limb with a nod, agreeing that he was as interested in looking the whole place over as Vincent was.  The fact that they would do it together was icing on the cake.

Offline realworldweirdo

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2013, 10:56:25 AM »
"I only have one lover in my life, no matter how.... Scott he is," he affirmed sourly. "Bryant is pushing his boundaries. They're both young, things get out of hand, I'm sure you've seen it before."

He chewed on his thoughts for a minute, shooting Jeanne the occasional curious glance, but Conner wasn't stupid enough to outright ask Jeanne about her personal life. Stupid enough to quirk an eyebrow at her, an obvious invitation to share, but to ask outright? Oh no. The gods of discretion were with Conner tonight.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2013, 12:03:12 AM »
The ache of her own betrayal and the severity of the consequences she'd suffered due to her own actions was never buried very far inside Jeanne's psyche and now it blossomed in her mind unbidden, seeping out of her in invisible pulses that could be picked up by those sensitive to their environment.  It might feel, if it was accepted and examined, like gentle waves of sobbing battering at another's mind; poignant and pink, warm and snivelling, an open wound that refused to heal and instead railed ineffectually at the world, mourning its own pitiable brokenness, a gaping sore that had once been a whole heart.  Her expression shifted, softened, became distant yet vulnerable as she gazed wordlessly at Conner for a short time, trying not to think of Leo and Taylor and failing miserably.

"Seen it?  Yes," she agreed softly, the left corner of her mouth trembling in what appeared to be an attempt at a confident smile... that simply wasn't anything of the sort.  It gave up as she confessed a little more of her soul than she ought, prompted by that kindred spirit notion and the desire to talk in a real way with someone who may not judge her as harshly as Charon or she herself had.  "Lived it, too," she added sadly, maintaining steady eye contact with her companion, their dark blue depths roiling like soft serve ice cream rippling into an overflowing ice cream cone.  "Except that I must admit to not... keeping my focus as clear as you seem able to," she confessed and a smile emerged at last.  It was professional and brittle, contradicting the emotions frothing in her eyes and the thoughts vomitting from her turbulent mind.

"I admire your clarity in such a confusing situation."

Offline realworldweirdo

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2013, 11:15:16 PM »
Conner became aware of the shift of energies, the touch of depression and hurt on his shields when he opened them enough to sense. He shifted uncomfortably, aware of her expression now that the psychic undercurrents had told him what to look for.

"It came to a bad end for you," he observed, his voice uncharacteristically soft. "I'm so sorry." There was a large soft spot in Conner's heart for hurt between sires and fledglings. Right now it was aching for his own and for Jeanne's. "My focus isn't so clear as you might think.... I just can't...."

He trailed off, watching her sympathetically for a moment.

"I can't let Bryant get confused about what our relationship is, or hurt Scott by betraying him. If I could, I'd gather them both to me and hold them both until the last night on Earth. What Bryant wants is.... I won't say I don't want it, but Scott's his sire too. Nothing should come between a fledge and their sire, any sire. Any fledge. No one deserves to have that bond broken or betrayed. Not for anything."

"My decision probably isn't the right one, but I don't see how any other option is better. Or worse." He chewed his lip for a minute, wondering if he could ease her pain at all. "Do you want to tell me what happened?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2013, 06:17:35 PM »
For a moment, she actually considered it, the lure of his sympathy was strong and so deliciously... separate.  He was desirably apart from her family, from the enclave that was their hive, she wanted to concede and tell him, tell him everything!  He might not condemn her, nor judge when he was on the threshold of the same situation; talking about it might help her move on.  But not here and certainly not now.  The hope faded from her expression as the light follows a setting sun and very soon the professional mask she usually wore was back, decorated with a graceful smile.

"I don't think now is the time to bore you with my transgressions," she told him gently.  "Perhaps another night, when I'm not so busy and there isn't a pressing situation to tidy up?"  The question was asked but it didn't match what her eyes told him, nor what was in her heart.  She had to finish their conversation but she was reluctant to do so.  She wanted there to be another meeting but she could never ask it; Charon wouldn't approve of her keeping counsel beyond the family, even though that was exactly why she wanted to speak freely with Conner.  She also had to go and reprimand or fire her staff so if she stayed to chat, she would putting herself before the family and the club.  Yet again.

She was also seeking his permission to end the conversation now, politely.  She needed to know if he had any more to say.

Offline realworldweirdo

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2013, 09:04:45 PM »
"I spent two centuries in solitary isolation not so long ago. It didn't even occur to me that you'd made any transgressions," he joked darkly. "Certainly. I'd like to talk to a member of Sacramentum about formalizing the Ward's position with your organization. Just making sure we understand each other's positions, what we expect from one another." He dug into the pocket of his pants and came up with a slightly bent card, basic black on white with his name, title, Haven Crest's address and his office number.

"I'd prefer to talk to someone I've already had dealings with, so if you'd make an appointment and come see me some night, it would be appreciated. Thanks for your time, and understanding."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2013, 10:29:55 PM »
Jeanne stood fluidly as Conner reached his point, appreciating his attempt at humour.  She glanced at the card when it was proferred but shook her head gently, folding her hands elegantly before her.  "Keep the card, we have your details.  I'll come and see you as soon as I'm able," she agreed, inclining her head slightly, giving him a last small smile before her expression solidified into something less than impressed and she walked out into the crowd beyond the feeding area, moving with all the speed her advanced age offered her.  It was time to mop up the rest of this mess.