Author Topic: The Breath Before the Plunge  (Read 7532 times)

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
The Breath Before the Plunge
« on: June 07, 2014, 02:27:01 PM »
Over the past few months she couldn't help but feel as though the entire city was simply holding its breath. She had seen less and less of her mysterious bosses, as if they were all hiding from the night as well. She simply didn't understand it. Her clientele seemed to shift a bit as well - there were more regulars in Venture than she could have ever remembered and soon the same old beautiful stoic faces began to bore her.

Even Sam had visited infrequently - something, undoubtedly, to do with Jake, her master. For a while she just thought it was a temporary thing, figuring that Venture's popularity just wasn't as good as the owners first imagined it to be. There was a little fretting on her end, especially when her mind began to race about the stability of this job and the continual flow of her bills - from school, from living, and of course her surgeries - but when she finally started counting her money, nothing really had changed. Yet she was still left with the lingering presence of a thought - something was different in the city.

Levinia left her car at home this Thursday night, enjoying the race through the subway first heading east on the Western and then south along the Southern line for the first time in a long time. She typically liked the privacy of her car - even after having completed her transitions, it still sometimes felt unsafe on the subway. Tonight, however, her confidence was lifted by the perfection of her outfit and make-up, which made her feel a bit safer than usual. Before leaving her apartment, she applied winged black eyeliner with a very faint coral shadow on her lids to match her blouse. Longer than her average tee - and much cuter to boot! - this taupe blouse fanned out wonderfully around her hips like a very short dress. To match, she slipped into a tight pair of fitted dark navy jeans with a peach belt. A classy pair of black pumps and her thin black leather jacket later, she ran out of her apartment, long blonde hair fluttering behind her in the sunset as she strode boldly into the night.

She couldn't remember the last time she had seen Sam - in or out of work - so tonight was cause for a special outfit and an especially good mood. Levvy appeared from the subway station closest to Venture unharmed and unharrassed, her headphones blasting the latest from Tori Amos, loud enough for any passing vampire to hear. It was only when she reached the queue for the door - choosing to be polite and not take advantage of her position as a staff member to jump the line or go through a back door - that she actually craned her head around to do a quick search for her friend whom she missed so dearly.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
Re: The Breath Before the Plunge
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
Many reasons had plagued Sam since the opening of Venture as to why she had not returned to the club. One reason was her brother and the actions he had chosen to display that night; actions filled with violence. Another was her own decisions that lead to the firing of an employee in which a friendship was lost. No wonder it had been months since she had returned to the place that had once felt like home. 

She was almost shocked to get a message from Levinia, at first she almost didn't answer but after catching a nerve or two they had arranged to meet. She was nervous about their meeting and she wasn't sure why. She had been comfortable around Levinia before but this was the first time she would see her after Scott decided to foolishly wave a gun around the place.After calming herself a bit she proceeded to try and pick out an outfit.

Her eye's wandered back and forth in her closet, unsure of how to dress for the occasion. She should feel happy and excited but it just wasn't working at the moment, she tried to focus on her task. Slowly reaching out for one outfit but then she pulled her hand back quite quickly, maybe this was the night to wear something different than normal. Reaching to the back of her closet she pulled out an outfit she had not worn since her years in getting a Bachelors degree.

Pulling out some black leggings that ended just above the ankle, a small smile crossed her lips with fond memories. A light blue blouse that had a flowing effect was chosen. She wore her hair down, pulling some of the hair to the front of her face; no ponytail tonight. Tenderly selecting a pair black flats with the usual white soles, she looked good in the outfit that was several years old. Jake wasn't home so she sent him a text saying she was going out unsure of when she would get a reply back from him. She grabbed her wallet and headed out.

She took a cab afraid if she walked she would chicken out, it was a horrible thought. Thinking she had arrived before Levinia or maybe she was already inside she just got out of the cab quickly, she paid her fee not waiting for the change. She got out not sure what to expect inside and got in line. She sent Levinia a text message saying that she was in line and waited nervously for an answer back. She took a deep breath to steady her nerves again, she just wanted this time to go unhitched with any problems and actually have a decent time.     

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 03:14:32 PM »
Her music paused briefly to let Levvy know that a new text message from Sam had arrived, and then proceeded to keep on playing afterwards. She read it and tore out one ear bud before searching for Sam in the line. After a moment or two, her face lit up as she spotted the other blonde and ducked out of line to go see her. As she approached, her excitement got the better of her and a wide toothy grin turned into a full on giggle and smile as she closed in on a seemingly unsuspecting Sam Rede. She exclaimed the vampire's name and threw her arms out for a hug from her favorite vampire, hugging her over the queue stanchion which was meant to divide the line for the club to the other parts of the property. As she hugged the other, she didn't fail to notice the strange looks from folks behind Sam, who seemed to think that Levvy was jumping the line. Levvy was tempted to tell them to calm the hell down. Instead, she exclaimed in Sam's ear "I've missed you so much!"

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 04:08:18 PM »
Sam was in her own little world as she waited in line, phone in her hand patiently still awaiting for an answer. It was not until she took notice to someone yelling her name, she snapped her head toward the familiar voice. There she saw an old friend, grin in hand and her arms open wide for a hug. She embraced Levinia's hug by wrapping her arms around her shoulders, squeezing them hard as a wave of relief rushed over Sam.

"I missed you too my lovely," her voice filled with happiness towards Levinia as she took in the sight of her old friend. She broke away after a long moment of hugs, "You look good it's been to long my friend. How have you been?" She asked as they waited in line together.   

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 06:58:44 AM »
"Good! I've been really good!" She said after ducking under the fabric belt of the stanchion to join Sam in line. There was a bit of a grumble from the folks behind her, a group of twenty-something girls in short skirts and stilettos, that she became acutely aware of the moment she righted herself. She spun and said to them "Hey, my name's Levinia. Give the bartender my name when you get in and your first drink's on me! They'll know what to do." She smiled at their surprised expression  - especially after they all considered how much the drinks would actually be at a vampire bar that hiked up prices for the immortal population - and turned back to Sam with the same big smile. "Busy, really," she continued, fixing her pant leg. "I've been working a lot lately. Like more than I probably should be to be considered sane. Like they should have considered giving me a mattress in the back room. Yet here I am again!

But what's been going on with you?" She queried, more interested in the vampires new found desire to be out in public. "Everything been alright lately? I feel like there's been a kind of silence between us."

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 03:05:38 PM »
Sam looked at Levinia with guilt in her eyes, "I know it's been quiet between us and I'm sorry for that Levinia." Trying not to sound nervous for a lot had happened in the time they had been apart. Folding her arms across her chest she tried to find the words to speak, she wanted to lie but that wasn't Sam. She shifted her stance in the line as she got the courage to talk.

"Things are going smoothly now, they were rough awhile back. Finally graduated from the University so no more school. I've accepted a job teaching at the new Academy that just opened up. Tuesday was my first day and it went really well, I have to teach another class tomorrow." She felt good talking to Levinia again, it just seemed natural. She patiently waited for a response as the line crept forward.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »
"Shut the front door! That's fantastic, Sam, Congratulations!" Her smile was big and genuine, albeit surprised that so much had happened in so short an amount of time. But she supposed that's what happened when you weren't paying close attention to every waking second of other people's personal lives. "Well I'm super happy you could make it out tonight, despite work tomorrow. I've missed your face so much!" Levinia threw her arms around the vampire's neck and pulled her into a ridiculous type of hug, their faces pressed together cheek to cheek before releasing her only a moment later as they inched through the line.

"No, but really, how is everything else? How are Jake and Scott? Still being butt-heads, I expect?"

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 02:05:27 PM »
"Thank you Levinia but I will tell you this it is a little nerve wracking teaching people." Beaming with a smile she was humbled by her friends congratulations. She did not know how this teaching job would turn out. From her conversation from Ben after her first class it seemed like she was doing a good job. However she was still a little nervous teaching all those people.

Sam still had her arms crossed when Levinia threw her arms around her cool neck. Unfolding her arms she wrapped her arms around her excited buddy, squeezing her tightly as their cheeks touched. She felt so warm against her skin, "I missed you too partner." Giving a small chuckle in Levinia's ear, before they both broke away from the lovely hug.

"Believe it or not Jake has been really good. We are still getting along, a cat fight here and there but nothing major. Scott however," she stopped for a moment to sigh," he still feels bad for how he acted on Opening Night. Embarrassed really, but he's getting through it, I'm trying to help him." She loved her big brother with all her heart. To Sam he was family even if they did not share the same blood or belong to the same clan.

"That is one reason as to why I have been scarce," shaking her head slightly, that and getting a former employee fired. Which burned that bridge with that friendship, she felt really bad about the incident.

She did not want to get all dark and dreary so she gave Levinia a small hip bump, "We going to have some fun little lady? I have been dying to have some form of entertainment." Sam was glad she decided to come and not flake out.