Author Topic: A New Age  (Read 11256 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: A New Age
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 08:45:54 AM »
He's lost so much for one so young...

Jake rose from his seat and clasped his hand on Scott's shoulder. His face was heavy with guilt and for once he had difficulty finding the words. He looked at Sam. How must she be hearing all of this? Conner would pay for this betrayal. He not only left Scott but left the Ward. With the Anarchs out of town, and Vomas's crew all gone too, the Ward was the last word in Kindred law and order.

Jake's war. Bleeding git.

He cleared his throat and spoke to Scott. "Life is long, and Conner and I have crossed paths many times over the years. The best thing about living for eternity is that there will always be time for closure. And it was not my war. I answered the call to fight for freedom, but not for my own glory. We have a good thing here." He pointed around the rabbit, to Sam, to the direction Lisa-Joe took her snack. "This city sees me as a war hero. I have all the glory I need here. But we had a chance to defeat the last Sabbat cell on the west coast, and then to help our Anarch brothers and sisters throw off the ilk of the oppressive Camarilla. You fought well. You helped save so many lives, and I am so proud of you. Conner should be so lucky to earn the glory that you earned." He grew angry at last, his aura radiating a daunting dread. Even his children, who knew him well, would likely cower from him.

"Conner also got the call, and he told me..." He now mocked Conner's voice. "'Jake, it's not our place to determine how other cities are governed.' We did that here! He's a coward. I could've forgiven him if he'd stayed and defended our domain, but even there he failed us!" He punched the wall in the office, crashing through the wood and plaster. His hand remained unharmed, his inner fortitude rising in his anger.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 11:10:08 AM »
It was here that Sam let the blood bond flow once again. Jake's facial expressions only told one side of the story. She wanted to feel his guilt, along with the hurt. She gave Jake a tender push as he glanced over. Letting Jake feel her numbness and the shock that set in her bones.

At a loss she halfed listened to Jake comfort Scott. The rage that surged through Jake rang loud in her ears. She could have toned the access between the two down, she however would do no such thing. It had been so long since she felt his emotions, she dare not back away now.

Sam could not believe Conner gave Scott an ultimatum. It seemed selfish to Sam, did Conner think he was the only one who may have suffered a loss? Yet Sam sat here waiting and even prepared if they never came back. It was war. No one likes wars ugly head. When Jake first left Sam understood the Anarchs needed freedom. Also this being the last chance to disband the Sabbat on the west coast.

Jake threw his fist through the wall, making her jump. Not from fear, it was the raw anger hitting her like a wave. Going a little pale she sat down beside Scott. Taking his hands and lacing them through her own. She didnt know how else to comfort Scott. Nor could she find the words.

Offline CowboyBlonde

• Scribe
  • Write with no boundaries.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 02:18:12 PM »
Scott took in the auras Jake was omitting and it wasn't pretty, or easy.  Jake's words helped to validate Scott's decision, but it still hurt none the less.  Jake had punched the wall so hard that plaster went flying, bits of white dust flaked onto Scott's black tank top.  Scott simply wiped them away, sort of surprised by Jake's violent reaction. 

"Conner never told me that he got the call.  We exchanged blood for God's sake, I didn't think he could keep things from me."

If Sam's blood ran through her veins, her hand surely would've felt warm.  Scott looked down and their intwined fingers and smirked a little, her hands were so petite compared to his.

Scott looked up to Jake, "what now, Jake?"
INFUSCO: Scott / Blake / Parker
ZOMBIE MANIA: Christian / Joel
HALFLIGHT: Mason

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 02:31:47 PM »
Jake considered Scott's question. His own anger began to dissipate, and his aura relaxed into something more neutral. He placed his hand on top of Scott's and Sam's. It sent a tinge through his finger tips to feel Sam's blood so close, as well as to sense Jonathan's blood through Scott. He took a psychosomatic breath and said, "now we get to rest." The boy warrior said it with a mix of relief and disappointment. Who was Jake McCloud without a foe to defeat? He'd been fighting for so long he'd forgotten how to enjoy his eternity. He'd even tried to turn Conner into a new opponent within moments of hearing he'd left.

While it might take a few weeks to secure the domain and catch up on local issues, the metropolis district had become his own tiny Anarch free state, and while his title might've been District Leader, in reality the citizens only knew him as Baron. He had a family, money, and friends. The Anarchs internationally had their own fights to continue, but Jake decided this little branch had done enough.

What possibilities waited for his little family of fangs? He decided then he planned on sticking around long enough to find out. "Let's rebuild our home and protect our people, but..." He couldn't believe he was saying this. "The time to fight is over. I'm looking forward to just spending time with you both."  He smiled at the thought of Jake McCloud having a simple life. Was it even possible?   

The door swung open hard. A loud bang overtook the room and for the briefest of moments, Jake bared his fangs towards the disruption. "Put those away boy scout," Lisa-Joe said, a furious expression on her face. "What the fuck did you do to my wall Scott," she said, pointing to the hole.

"Sam, how do we put up with these boys?" Lisa was normally perfectly poised, but after drinking off someone so intoxicated, the redhead seemed to sway and her speech was slurred.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 04:21:41 PM »
Jake's hand felt so inviting on the top of Sam's head. Even though she could feel his disappointment mixed with relief. Jake had been fighting for so long... she did not blame the disappointment he felt. She shared his relief giving a small nudge through his blood.

Wanting Jake to leave his hand on her head. She rubbed her head in the palm of his hand in agreement. Yes! Let them rebuild and enjoy the peace here and now. She squeezed Scott's hands in showing her support on the idea. Conner may have left but Scott was not alone. He had the support of his family.

BANG! Sam rolled her eyes, wonder who that be? A sarcastic thought. A little annoyed she had to move head from Jake's hand. She stood up breaking her embrace with Scott. Placing a hand on her hip, facing Lisa Joe who clearly was inebriated.

"First off that was Jake. Secondly, deal with these boys?" Raising an eyebrow. "Honestly it's the two owners. One is punching holes and the other is four sheets to the wind." Having a playful but assertive tone, even looking at Jake the same as Lisa Joe. Sam was right but this is the one night she would let it slide.

"It has been a long eighteen months and a lot of information to process." Squeezing Scott's shoulder again. "Enjoy being home. I'm glad to have you back." Her face glowing with satisfaction of being in the same room as war heroes.

Offline CowboyBlonde

• Scribe
  • Write with no boundaries.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 04:59:54 PM »
Scott shuddered from the loud bang of the door opening,  It brought him back to the battlefield in a flash.  He pressed his thumb and pointer finger to the bridge of his nose and clenched his eyes.  He needed to shake it off.  He stood up and looked at Sam,  He gave her a weak smile and grazed her cheek softly with the back of his hand.  "I'm gonna step outside for a sec, I need some air."

If Sam was about to chew out the two owners, Scott did not feel like sticking around for it.  Scott stepped to the door and pushed passed Lisa-joe who reeked of drunken blood.  He rolled his eyes at her as he passed, completely over her lack of respect.  "I'll be out front if you need me," Scott shouted over his shoulder.

INFUSCO: Scott / Blake / Parker
ZOMBIE MANIA: Christian / Joel
HALFLIGHT: Mason

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 08:52:43 PM »
"That was me," he owned up, even raising his hand and placing it behind his head. He saw Scott jump and frowned. "Okay, go get some air," he said with encouragement. He didn't get how air would help a vampire, but if that's what Scott wanted then Jake would support it. Once Scott had left the bar, Jake turned to Lisa. "Go check on him in twenty."

Lisa saluted before leaving Jake and Sam alone. "Catch you soon sugah," she called out to Sam, shutting the door and giving them privacy. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 10:58:01 AM »
Scott was having a tough time, making Sam's heart ache. Graciously accepting Scott's brief hand on her cheek. Giving him a smile back before he exited the room. Lisa Joe drunk as a skunk parting ways shortly after Scott. Now with Scott gone she could ask Jake the harder questions without upsetting Scott.

"Does that mean Bryant and Conner left together? Like as a couple?" Uneasy about asking the question.

Still standing she folded her arms across her chest. Nervously chewing on the corner of her bottom lip. Her eye contact strong with Jake. But, there was uneasiness in her eyes. Yet the truth was always frustrating and hard.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 06:30:58 AM »
Jake watched Scott leave, and his face showed how conflicted he was. He moved his arm towards Scott, as if he was about to call out to him. He thought better of it, and let him leave. He turned to face Sam, and looked her in the eyes.

"Yes," he said softly. "I saw the writing on the wall. Scott chose to reject Bryant. Bryant was a needy, hungry boy, and Conner chose to invest in him. Ever since Venture I knew it would only be a matter of time. I just thought Conner might have the balls to tell Scott to his face."

He sat, looking tired. "We need to keep him busy."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 03:04:09 PM »
Jake's voice was soft but his words cut deep. Jake was right, after Venture nothing was the same. Byrant blamed Scott for a lot of things, more times than not. Along with Scott and Conner's constant fighting it was a recipe for disaster. Even at Venture Bryant called Scott a piece of dog shit, not being wrong at the time. Still it felt as if an effort was never put in on both sides.

Byrant felt more love from Conner than he ever did Scott. Bryant blamed Scott for his strife, pushing him closer towards Conner. Still Sam felt like the time she spent with Bryant didn't mean much to him. He had left with Conner without even saying good bye, it hurt Sam a little.

"I need to keep you both busy." Correcting Jake not forgetting Conner was Jake's friend too. They both needed her now. She moved closer to him on the couch. He looked so tired.

"I am sorry Conner and Bryant left the domain but someone stayed," giving him a hopeful smile.

"YOUR daughter stayed. And three war heroes had a place to come home with something to rebuild." Patting him on the back while nudging him through the bond they shared.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 12:14:32 PM »
Jake smiled at Sam, happy she was attempting to cheer him up. He felt the nudge and nudged back. Sam had ended up doing okay. There were years he had worried, but here she was. She was the calm one. He stood up, and lit a cigarette. The blueblood took a long drag, and blew it within the office. The smoke and Sam helped him relax.

He considered in this moment that the world was different now. The Inquisition was back. The Camarilla was weak, the Sabbat had all moved to the middle east and the Anarchs were strong. His district was intact. His daughter was happy. Scott would find his way. He turned to his neonate.

"Let's make some time soon," he asked. "I want to see how your training has gotten on."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 03:06:20 PM »
Sam remained on the couch, the nudge welcomed with a smile. Studying his body movement. Even the way he lit his cigarette. He seemed to relax and ponder about what now awaited them. Not wanting to break the silence and disturb his thoughts. Jake needed time and patience the war had been rough on his spirit.

"I would like that Jake. I will have a smoke with you, then I have a few things to do." A grin on her lips.

She grabbed her pack from the desk drawer, some off brand cigarettes. She lit one up and exhaled through her nose. The heat in her lungs felt warm and inviting.

"You will eat," her tone non negotiable on eating. "Then we can leave together. I should be done by then. Deal?" Taking another drag off her smoke.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 03:42:11 PM »
Jake would have to tell Sam later that sometimes he would need to stay and do work, but she clearly was worrying and it was cute to see her so bossy and in charge. "Well I did see a little snack out there," he admitted.  He smoked mostly in silence, just happy to be home. Once he finished, he ashed the but and turned to leave the office. As he reached the door he turned to Sam.

"I want you to know I'm really proud of you. You've done even better than I expected."

His tone was sweet, and he sounded like he might regret all this flowing praise later. For now, he felt happy to give it.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 04:28:34 PM »
Sam giggled when Jake admitted seeing a snack. The silence between the two no longer awkward as it had been in the past. Sam felt closer to Jake now more than ever. The time apart had made them both grown closer to each other. Finishing his smoke Jake turned to leave the office stopping to face Sam.

Jake's compliment struck Sam to the core, "I hope I continue to make you proud." Humbled at his words before she stuck her tounge out at him.

"Go eat I'll come find you," returning to the desk. Once she finished her weekly cash reports she could leave with Jake. A renewed sense of spirit growing within Sam.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 05:03:09 PM »
Jake rolled his eyes at the childish gesture, but once outside the office surrendered a small smile to it. He went searching for his prey. The dog collar popped into his brain as the best clue, and he scanned the first floor. He had been talking to another guy, but Jake quickly stepped in and corrected that issue. It didn't take long before Jake was fucking and feeding downstairs in the superannuation basement, and enjoying all the primal benefits of both. As he finished, he thought briefly that he and his little family of Kindred, had entered a new age. The only real question was were they ready?

/end
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.