Author Topic: A New Age  (Read 11142 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
A New Age
« on: January 14, 2019, 10:11:02 AM »
"I can't believe it." A boy stood staring at a bar he'd seen thousands of times. The corners of his mouth curved into a soft and proud smile. A woman with flaming red hair walked up next to him, a cigarette dangling out of her mouth. "Well fuck me," she said lazily, a musical southern drawl softening the harsh words. "The kid kept it open. I won't lie Jake. I'm a little surprised." The boy turned to face his companion and narrowed his eyes. He turned back to examine the club and found it very similar to the way it had been left. The ivy still grew on the outside. The neon sign still read, "The White Rabbit," and the crowd coming in and out looked like tough characters. Yet, there were changes. It was obvious Sam had put her own touch on things, and to Jacob McCloud that wasn't a bad thing. He liked initiative. 

They walked towards the entrance and their dialogue continued. "I left a Ventrue in charge of a business. It's no surprise she flourished." His tone was proud and corrective of his friend. Lisa-Joe Hampton shrugged her shoulders and leaned back against the wall. "I'll be happy when I've seen the books." Jake rolled his eyes and approached the bouncer. He must've been brand new as he had no idea that he was speaking with two of the three owners, Sam of course being the third. "Move," Jake commanded, and the human guard did as he was told. "Your fired," Lisa-Joe added, preferring when Kindred guarded the door.  Lisa-Joe headed in the direction of her former private office. "I'm going to make sure she didn't bankrupt us," she said, refusing to give Sam credit for some reason. Jake headed into the first floor bar and worked his way towards the back. He chose to blend in to the scene as opposed to announce his presence. He wore blue jeans and white sneakers. His hair was cut to a fade and parted to the side, and a simple button up shirt and leather jacket completed the look.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
Re: A New Age
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 11:50:03 AM »
The bar was full once again on both floors for another night. The band she had hired was one of Lisa Joe's favorites, a long time band of the White Rabbit too. They still hadn't made it big in a sense but they have gotten a few more gigs due to the White Rabbit. Sam made her rounds not among the public but within the shadows. She had been in the office earlier in the night balancing the books, that was a nightmare. They made profit again this month and it made her somewhat happy.

When Lisa Joe left the club to her it was brutal the first few months. Lisa Joe's patrons and staff were rough but understanding. The bar was running at ease with the help of the Brujah employees. Making a profit ensuring Lisa Joe's patrons always had a bar and a home. She would not disgrace the bars name or disappoint anyone.

She always thought of Lisa Joe, Jake and Scott more on the first floor. Even Bryant and Conner were not far from her mind. Why did the office have to down there? She thought silently to herself. And even more so would she ever see them again? She shook her head and sighed.

She made her way slowly down to the first floor, a dangerous floor. Now protected as third owner of the establishment by the Brujah security. She had one human however. He was an under the table man only, when the Brujah employees needed a day off. The Brujah employee's worked with constant loyalty to Sam. Even having treated her over time as Kindred. And they never abused the system with Sam either.

She stopped midway on the stairs and took an aerial view of the floor. Nothing out of the ordinary for the Brujah and the humans. It might even be quiet night, here's hoping. Descending further down the stairs making her rounds to the employees. Asking if they needed anything and all was good.

It was time she returned to the back, inventory had to be done. And with the books all squared up she was going to enjoy some simple Math. Trying to find five dollar discrepancy earlier today made her want to tear her hair out.

She made her way down the stairs discretely. Wearing dark colored skinny jeans. Her top was pure black with an open back but a high front, short sleeve of course. Along with a pair of grey flats. Her hair still in that boring old pony tail, but with a blue pen in her hair. Along with a walkie talkie on her hip. She headed for the nearest door that led into the back.

The private office was seperate from the inventory in a different area. Oh yes how she was looking forward to some simple counting. Grabbing the clip board off the wall she slowly made her way around the shelves. Slowly pulling the pen nestled in her hair. It was also a great way too see what alcohols were going out of style and where they were losing money.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 12:39:52 PM »
The boy looked too young for this joint, and several newer patrons looked with awe. In fact, the boy did something and suddenly radiated beauty. The aura that permeated from the boy seemed almost angelic, and yet dangerous. Jake watched as Sam came down the stairs. She looked good, and looked busy. He'd worried about her while he was away. I mean how could he not?

"I had to go," he told himself. "She wasn't ready yet."

Jake quickly thought to move himself towards the wall, so that his daughter wouldn't see him as she past. The attention Jake received from the crowd made him feel mischievous and so he undid a button on his shirt. He glided threw the bar, stopping to make eye contact with a yummy snack. The object of the Ventrue's gaze was a young Latino boy with a dog collar on and ripped jeans. Jake winked at him and made a mental note to come back later. Sam came first. Jake's eyes moved around the room as he walked and saw several Brujah were still in town. He nodded at each of them. Daddy was home. Jake moved into the door frame of the office. Sam looked happy. He thought of what to say, face twisting into a smirk. "Hey waitress, get me something tasty to drink."
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline CowboyBlonde

• Scribe
  • Write with no boundaries.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 01:15:23 PM »
Scott stepped out of the shower, grabbing a towel off the hook on the wall.  He stood in front of the mirror and moved the towel down his face, erasing every bead of water.  The vampire stared at his reflection.  God, I've never looked so tired. He thought.  Scott had fought along side Jake in so many wars now, they were starting to take their toll.  This last one against the Camarilla had nearly killed him.  It was four on one at one point.  They had Scott pinned.  If it weren't for Jake and Lisa's help, the Camarilla soldiers would have ripped him apart.

Scott let out a sigh and started drying the rest of his body.  He glided into his bedroom and started pulling clothes from his closet.  His underwear was pulled on first, followed by a pair of dark grey skinny jeans.  Scott pulled a black tank top over his head.  It was a chilly night but he couldn't pass up an opportunity to show off his arms, especially at The White Rabbit.  Lisa-Joe had told Scott to meet her there to re group and talk about the next steps.  Scott hadn't been to the club in years.  All he knew is that Sam was running things now.

Scott turned away from his closet and his eyes focused on a pair of shoes on the floor at the foot of his bed.  They were Connor's shoes.  A sharp pain passed through Scott's stomach.  Conner had packed his things and left the apartment before Scott had returned.  Days before the short war began, Scott was left with an ultimatum, go where Jake needed him, or stay with Conner.  Scott was shattered at the thought of having to choose between his closest friend and makeshift Sire or the love of his life.  The bulky blond felt as if he needed to be loyal to Jake, the man who took Scott under his wing.  Whenever Jake needed him, he would go.

Scott begged Conner to stay but his pleads where left unheard.  Conner had left with most of his things, except this pair of shoes.  Scott leaned down and pushed them under the bed, choosing to forget about them for now.  Out of sight, out of mind.

Scott grabbed his keys off of the kitchen table, his silver Desert Eagle handgun laid beside them.  He reached for it but then stopped quickly, with his hand hovering over the piece.  No, he thought as his arm recoiled.  No more violence.  Scott turned on the heels of his work boots and headed for the door.  He didn't want to be late.

Scott parked his car across the street.  The neon sign was the brightest one on the block.  The place looked different and yet the same.  It was a quiet night for The Rabbit, or maybe it was just early.  A line hadn't formed outside yet.  Crossing the street, the security guards were already moving out of the way of the door.  Sam must have told them what he looked like incase he ever showed up again.  Scott gave the large men a nod before passing through the threshold.

The music was promoting a lo-fi vibe.  The beats had not yet started but the night was still young.  Scott looked around, not sure if Lisa-Joe had arrived yet.  The smell of alcohol was strong, but it brought back the memory of being here for the first time, years ago.  He wondered if Sam would be around tonight, it's been so long since he'd seen her.
INFUSCO: Scott / Blake / Parker
ZOMBIE MANIA: Christian / Joel
HALFLIGHT: Mason

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 05:16:13 PM »
Inventory did not take as long as she we would have hoped. She tried to stay out of the office. Too many lingering memories and conversations with Jake and Lisa Joe. It was hard to run the club as if they were never coming back. Resisting the urge of tears that wanted to flow. Sam had to be strong, she had lost her parents and sibling once. She survived and she do it again. However she hoped that never came to fruition.

Grabbing the paper from the clip board she sauntered over to the office. That somewhat dreary place with sweet memories. Ones she did not know if they would be just that, memories. Her position slumping as she entered the door way, this errie feeling always surrounded her in this particular office.

She and her back turned, she heard footsteps and then a voice. Sam dropped the damn paper on the floor. She knew that voice before she even turned around, it was him. Sam threw herself into Jake with all her force. Tightly clasping her arms around his waist, burying her face in his chest.

"JAKE!" she cried out. Only to start sobbing afterwards, "I thought I never... see you again." Tightening her hands into fists as she gripped with clothing. So then did that mean?

"Did... did Scott and Lisa Joe come back?" Looking up at him with tear filled eyes. She couldn't believe Jake was back but did the others make it? She desperately hoped so with all her heart.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 03:33:38 AM »
The force of the embrace would've thrown most mortals to the ground, but as Sam went to hug Jake she'd find his flesh smooth and solid, like marble. He embraced her and laughed as she spoke. It was a joyful laugh, filled with familiarity. Sam wouldn't have heard her sire so happy in a long time. He took his right hand and stroked it through Sam's hair. The office looked much more organized than in the past, and Jake couldn't help but feel pride.

"Of course I'm back. This is my town after all," he told her. He sounded confident and haughty. "It's good to see you doing so well daughter. May I have my chest back?" He would push her back slightly. They'd still be embracing but he'd be able to look upon her face and he desperately wanted to do that.

"Lisa is trying to prove you bankrupted us," he explained. "She went off to look for the books. Don't be too angry with her. The White Rabbit was her baby for years. Scott returned alive, and should be here soon."

It was good to be home.

- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 05:51:31 AM »
She didnt want to give him his chest, he was home. But when he declared they all came home she was more reluctant to let go. She stood a few more inches away, looking up at him with adoring eyes.

"I don't blame Lisa Joe at all I understand it's her baby. I'm glad she came back," wiping the tears off her face. "I will admit when you left the first few months we did not make a profit," looking down then back up at him at the mention of Scott.

"Scott is coming here?!" Her eyes lit up with glee. It had been so long since she had seen her big brother.

Jake had taken almost everyone to war leaving Sam alone. Maria came when she could but she was still in school. But they had to go, the Sabbat was a threat. A real one ever since that Assamite escaped Jake's clutches.

Offline CowboyBlonde

• Scribe
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:34:29 AM »
Scott happened to look towards the stairs and noticed Lisa-Joe's bright hair right away.  She was ascending to the second floor.  Scott wondered if he should follow her but a petite ginger boy at the bar caught his eye instead.  His face was beautiful, almost feminine, without a single flaw.  The tall vampire decided to walk towards him but stopped after he heard a squee from the opposite direction. 

He turned around to see Sam, her beautiful blonde hair pulled up into a pony tail.  He recognized Jake's back, even with Sam's arms wrapped around him tightly.  The ginger boy could wait for now, Scott wasn't sure he was even ready anyway.

Scott could see the warm auras radiating from both of them, they were obviously very happy to see each other.  Scott was happy to see Sam too.  He could only imagine how hard it must have been on her.  With everyone gone, she was left to run this place on her own, with barely any experience on how to even run a business.  Jake and Lisa-Joe put a lot of trust in her.  She must have done well, Scott thought.  The place hasn't burned to the ground.

Scott tried to walk towards them but a pit forming in his stomach forced him to stop.  Scott was holding a bit of resentment towards Jake.  If he had chosen to stay with Conner instead of going to fight Jake's war, his relationship might still be intact.  Scott wasn't sure if any of them knew that Conner had officially moved out of their apartment; Scott had yet to mention it.

Scott had been standing there staring for long enough, it wouldn't be much longer before Sam noticed his being there.  The vampire's boots clunked against the smooth tiled floor.  He stood behind Jake and smiled, "Hey Sammy."

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 10:30:15 AM »
Hypnotized by Jake she did not notice her brother until Scott was behind Jake. Scott's voice filled her with such love. Racing around Jake as she threw herself into Scott. Just as she had with Jake.

"BIG BROTHER!" Hugging him with the intensity of a bear. Thinking of how Jake gave her the gift of a sibling. And she wanted no other. No matter Scott's mistakes or flaws.

"I'm glad your home." Tears in her eyes, she couldn't help herself. The thought of them never returning wasnt far from her mind. She missed her big brother and worried about how the war effected him.

"We are wearing matching top colors!" She exclaimed still clinging to him. Although not as tightly. Looking up him with same adoring eyes she gave Jake.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 10:49:03 AM »
Jake felt himself be arranged by his daughter as she made her way to his ward. Scott was Jake's child in name only. At times this distinction hadn't mattered but others felt like they were cellmates, strangers and stuck together. Still, he was the last link Jake had to Jonathan. Oh sweet Jonathan. Jake still missed him, and he knew Scott had to as well. He watched Sam's joyful embrace of her "brother" and smiled at it. Sam had obviously been so worried and so lonely to be this excited. For that, he felt a stab of guilt.

Scott had answered the call of the Anarchs. He'd helped to pave the way for a better future for so many Kindred, and Jake finally saw him as a man. He was a neonate now, and on a path to his own greatness. He worried for him though. He looked back to a temper tantrum that had cost them all so much. He wondered as his children embraced if Scott would become a real Anarch hero, or a loose cannon. All of these thoughts and a million more passed through the Baron's head. However, his contemplating was interrupted by Lisa-Joe, who had approached without a degree of subtlety.

"Jesus girl, let the boy breath," she quipped. The Brujah held a young woman on her arm. She had blonde hair with green streaks and wore little more than a crop top and short shorts. The kine looked at Lisa as if she were an angel. "Well I found my date," Lisa explained. "Hey Sam, good job not bankrupting us." Scott got a Brujah strength slap on the back. "Hey there killer."

Jake rolled his eyes again. He took off his jacket and rolled his sleeves up. He needed to change into something a bit more rabbit approved, but didn't have access to his clothes yet. "Where's Conner," Jake asked, only now noticing his good friend's absence.     
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 12:07:17 PM »
"I won't let him breath and you won't either!" So excited to see Lisa Joe, leaving Scott for a moment. Careful of the blonde beauty on her arm. She squeezed Lisa Joe tightly. She couldn't believe they have all come back from the war.

"I am sorry Lisa Joe. We did not make a profit a few months after you left," as Jake said it was her baby. She seen the books but she felt better telling her in person.

"I am so happy you are back. It was hard living as if you never come back," taking a step back as she looked at Lisa Joe. Trying  not to invade her space too much with the date on her arm.

Then Jake asked Scott the whereabouts of Conner. She turned to face Scott as she too noticed Conner was not here, nor was Bryant. A small lump welled in her stomach for Scott.

Offline CowboyBlonde

• Scribe
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 01:25:31 PM »
Scott let out a laugh as he embraced Sam back, she had felt like a twig smothered in his large arms. He lifted her off the ground a bit, and then placed her back down.

"Believe me, I'm glad to be back.  It felt like we've been gone for a lifetime."

Scott nodded and smirked at Sam's realization that they were wearing the same color.  Scott didn't enjoy the sting that came with the slap on the back from Lisa-Joe.  Her brass-ness always annoyed Scott, but she saved his life more than once so he could look passed it and play it off as a joke.  Then suddenly Sam was on Lisa-joe just as fast as she was on Scott.  In this moment, Sam was the puppy, excited by their owners return home after a full day at work.

All of a sudden all eyes were on Scott.  Jake's question had everyone wondering, including the random woman Lisa-joe had scooped up. Scott looked at all of them one by one, not knowing exactly what to say.  They all looked back at him in silence for what felt like an eternity.

Do I lie? He thought.  A scenario passed through his mind where he told everyone that Conner was tired and didn't feel like coming out.  Then another where he said Conner was out of town for a couple of days.  But none of it made any real sense.  They all knew Conner.  They knew Scott and Conner were practically inseparable.

"It's complicated." Scott sighed, escaping everyone's gaze by looking down at the floor.  "I'll explain in the office."  Scott walked into the square room, wanting to get away from the music.  "And can we have some privacy Lisa-Joe?" Scott said as he turned around once he was leaning against the desk.  he was of course  referring to Lisa-Joe's new acquaintance. "Family only, please."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 01:38:24 PM »
Jake heard Scott's response and felt like he had egg on his face. Oh Conner. What did you do? He worked his way into the office, indicating to Lisa to lose the snack.

"She's so high on drugs she doesn't even know where she is. Do you hun?" Lisa touched the woman's chin and sweetened her voice. Realizing she'd lost in this social exchange she grabbed the woman by the hand and made moves to exit the larger group. "I'll get the highlights from Sam. We need to have girl talk." She turned and lead this poor mortal away, presumably to get her dinner.

Jake found a seat and placed his hands neatly on the desk in front of him. It was impossible to read his aura and body language. Those who were aware of such changes would find him a steel trap. However, his face was pleasant and his body relaxed.  He waited for the others to join, and for Scott to say where Conner was. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 04:11:07 PM »
Sam knew by Scott's gaze at the floor it wasn't good news. Her heart was heavy with sadness for Scott. Sam at this moment cared less about the girl that was high, Lisa Joe was one of the owners. She could not say much to the blonde hanging on her arm.

All her attention was on Scott now, coming in behind Jake and Scott entering the office. She took a wall and leaned against it, she did not feel like sitting down. Anxious to hear what Scott had to say she remained silent.

She took a look at Jake as he settled in the office. Only to look back at Scott with a calm stare, she would not show her heavy heart right now. No, it seemed inappropriate right now. She would have to hear what Scott said to them all.

Offline CowboyBlonde

• Scribe
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 06:19:38 AM »
Scott half expected Lisa-Joe to stay, there wasn't much in the ways of her sympathy for others.  Her intentions were clear, she was hungry.  Scott huffed as he watched Lisa-Joe walk away.  Sam and Jake are the two that really mattered anyway.

With Jake sitting at the desk and Sam against the wall, Scott moved to close the double doors to the office, immediately shutting out the music and distant chatter.  It was completely silent in the room now.  Scott started to slowly pace back and forth, wracking his brain to find the right words.

Finally he stopped and looked back and forth between the two vampires.  He scratched the stubble on his face.  "Conner left."  Scott said softly.  "I don't know exactly where he went, I just know he's gone for good."  Scott turned to sit on a black leather couch that was against the same wall as the doors he had just closed, and rested his forearms on his knees.  "Jake, I never told you this..." Scott said, pushing his fingers back and forth through his hair. "...Conner gave me an ultimatum after you asked me to go to war with you."  Scott was reliving the scene in his head as if it had happened yesterday.  "He said 'how many more wars is he going to ask you to fight for him?'  I told him I needed to stay loyal to you, that you needed me.  Conner shot back, saying that HE needed me, that I didn't need to get myself killed for you, Jake."

Scott paused for a second, taking a breath.  "It was this fight that just kept going back and forth and around in circles.  Nothing was really coming to a head.  At the end of it he gave me an ultimatum.  He told me that I could either stay here with him or go fight with you," Scott said, looking at Jake now.  "He told me if I chose to go with you that he wouldn't be here when I got back, IF I even made it back."

"I was so taken aback by it that I just stormed out.  I stayed out all night, not even going back during the day to sleep.  The next night is when I showed up at your doorstep ready to win this war.  When we got back yesterday, everything of Conner's was gone except for a pair of shoes, and I was fucking devastated."  Scott felt his eyes welling up but he wiped the moisture away before they became actual tears.  "There was no sort of closure, I didn't even get to say goodbye.  He knew I had made my choice and he stuck to his word."