Author Topic: Silver on Silver  (Read 16173 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Silver on Silver
« on: January 16, 2019, 04:00:20 PM »
The moon was fat tonight, and shone brightly on the silver sands of Glitter Beach. During the day the now serene place would be bustling with life. Towels would blanket the sands. Umbrellas would block out the sun, and noise would interrupt the beauty of nature. However, at night that all melted away and it was this particular serene energy that drew the beach's sole inhabitant. A wolf sat on the silver sands, snout facing the voluptuous moon. "Awoooooo," the wolf howled. It was a happy howl for those who know such things, and was almost a call to the moon itself.

The wolf was fairly large for a standard grey, with red eyes that seemed to glow in the ambient darkness. The fur of the beast was a cross between grey and white that in the moonlight looked silver too. He seemed gentle, and yet also capable of ferociousness should the hunt demand it. However, the hunting was done for the night, and so instead... "Awooooooooo!" The beast leaped onto it's hind legs and plopped it's paws on the sands. The silver wolf was excited, and struggling to contain it.

Being a wolf had it's perks, but it wasn't all there was to know about this being. For starters, he was dead in a way and had to drink blood to survive. The wolf valued life and so he never took one if he could avoid it. Humans had been off the menu entirely for years, and the wolf took only what he needed from animals. All of this was to combat the wolf's inner beast. All beings like the wolf had one. It was the price for immortality. The wolf was actually a vampire, and his name was Flick. "Awooooooooo," Flick howled again. He planned to run along the beach and enjoy the beauty of the night, as soon as he was done howling of course. 
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Silver on Silver
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 09:31:00 PM »
Her head was down as she stepped out of the trees lining the wooded bluffs and headed towards the beach, her white ritual robes draped and swirled around her legs in the gentle sea breeze and the silver embroidery shimmered as it caught and reflected the moon above with the hem of the robes brushing the tops of her ankles. The small, lapping waves spilled across her bare feet as she walked along the sand where beach met ocean. Her steps were light and carefree and her satchel, filled with the paraphernalia of her craft, continuously bumped her hip as she strolled along. The moon was gloriously bright, and she could feel it’s light and power flow through her. Smiling she lifted her face towards the illuminating, heavenly body and twirled and danced on the spot as soft joyous laughter spilled from her lips, her long curling cascade of hair flying out around her as she moved.

So engrossed was she with sand, sea wind and moon she failed to see the wolf further up the beach till its wolf song rolled over and through her. She stopped, startled and her eyes flew wide as she finally spotted the almost glowing wolf in front of her.

Although a little startled and shocked at the sudden manifestation of something so surreal, omens and signs were part and parcel of her upbringing and family legacy, not that she had ever put much stock into it, but; she was a little high on moon magic and more then a little drunk from the ritualistic wine and so why not? A moon vision on a deserted beach

“Lupus Lunae! You are truly beautiful, and I am humbled and blessed indeed by the gift of your presence” she called out softly to the apparition before her “Are you some sort of message? Because if you are then alas you best take it to my Aunts for I lack the skill to read or understand you” She smiled dreamily before clasping her hand to her mouth and hiccuping discretely behind it “Scuse me” she said with a small bemused laugh.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 08:36:35 AM »
The wolf cocked his head to its side, snout somehow looking puzzled despite the anatomical difficulties. He recognized the name of the wolf god, and realized this woman before him thought he was they! Flick looked upon the woman and saw her ritual robes, as well as her satchel and started putting it together with her words.

Perhaps she was a being of the forest? She had a certain fae like quality about her. The wolf moved forward slowly, sniffing at the cold air, ears open and listening. The wolf's ears heard a heart in her chest beating like a drum, and the wolf's nose smelt life and warmth. Finally, he searched for the taint of the beast and found none.

What a curious being you are, Flick thought as he approached.

The angle of the moon filled him up with even more silver light. Through weather, wind, gas, and color he shined like the god this faeish human thought he was. When about ten feet from her, he stopped and sat again. The wind felt nice on his fur, and maybe it would be good for him to have some company. He bowed his head politely and said in fluent wolf, "Can you speak to animals friend?"
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 08:43:52 PM »
Siobhán's eyes grew wide with wonder as the wolf walked towards her, radiating with the power of the moon. Normally this strong a manifestation of her power would have angered her, proving once again what a freak she was, but the wine and the after effects of the magic released during her esbat and the drawing down of the moon, left her more accepting, more open and therefore more receptive then she would normally be.

As the wolf sat before her and started to yip, yap and growl at her, she felt once more that unusual tingling, that weird pressure building at the back of her brain she got whenever she found herself alone in the woods or surrounded by a lot of animals, usually she ignored it or blocked it by singing or whistling loudly but tonight she let it wash over her and giggled as her entire body broke out in goose bumps.

Her eyes flew wide in startlement when the wolf’s noises suddenly turned into something she could understand.

“What?...” her forehead furrowed in bafflement as she looked at the wolf with total confusion in her eyes “Are you?” She shook her head in disbelief and smiled with sudden amusement. “Now I know I have drunk too much. I thought you spoke to me Moon Wolf, like for real spoke in words I could understand.” She snorted with disbelief as she raised her hand and rubbed it over her eyes and face.” Sweet goddess, A talking illusion. Seriously? I am going fucking mad. I need to go home and sleep this shit off I think” Shaking her head she dropped her hands and opened her eyes only to frown when the illusion still sat before her.

“Enough already Moon Spirit, mirage, illusion or whatever you are” Her earlier acceptance was quickly wearing off as the weirdness of the situation started to sink in. She looked at the wolf and narrowed her gaze slightly.

“You’re not really real. I’m drunk and magic high …I think. And now I am going home to bed, so you need to go poof” She said as she made an exploding gesture with her hands.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 10:38:33 AM »
"I asked you if you spoke wolf," Flick barked, jumping up onto his back legs again and landing on his front paws. "Are you a witch?" When she made her poof arms the wolf leaped back a bit. She could have spooky magic, and he wanted none of that. He lowered himself to the ground and looked up at the woman with puppy dog eyes. Surely she wouldn't make such a good boy go poof, or at least that was the gamble. He debated telling her his true nature, but decided to get a promise out of her for no funny business first.

"Don't use magic on me please," the wolf politely said. The breeze came through strongly, blowing some sand up around the pair. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 11:42:20 AM »
As the wolf’s words Shiobhán fell to her knees, the small hairs of her neck stood up as she realized this whole scenario may not be a self-induced vision. “Your real, aren’t you? Really real I mean” Shocked and amazed at the same time, she looked down at the wolf laying before her with wonder in her eye.

“Yes, I’m a witch, I won’t hurt you, I promise” she said softly as she looked into the wolf’s eyes. “Can I….? Can I touch you?” she ask hesitantly as she raised her hand and stretched out towards the wolf.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 05:22:06 PM »
Flick wasn't sure about being touched. He also remembered that this witch thought he was an actual god.  He stepped back a bit, slowly as not to spook her. He looked up at the moon and felt it's glow. It gave him confidence and power. He turned to Shiobhan, and once again made wolf noises.

"I don't think you'll want to when you know what I am," he warned, tone sounding concerned for her. His fur looked so divine in the moon's light, like a literal angel sent down from the heavens. He smelt the woman again, still unsure if she'd turn him into a puppy or something. He'd dealt with some witches in his day and most didn't like him because of his nature. He wondered if this one would be different.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 10:55:16 PM »
She sat back further on her heals as the wolf retreated and shimmered and glowed as bright as the moon above them. She didn’t feel heat or danger emanating from the luminous creature before her and yet the concern in its voice had her raising an eyebrow questioningly.

“ I won’t touch you if you don’t wish it Lupus Lunae” she offered with a soft smile “But maybe you can tell me why you have appeared before me? Why now? Or have I fallen and cracked my head somewhere and all this is a mere figment of my imagination?” She hadn’t thought of that possibility but she had to admit the wine was stronger then she thought and the bluffs near where she conducted her moon ritual were dangerous to those who were not careful.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 03:34:53 AM »
Flick raised his snout to the oncoming moon for a moment, lost in thought about what to do. He could play up that he was a god sent to this woman, but that felt so disingenuous. Maybe, if she knew his true nature she wouldn't run after all. Maybe she'd want to soak in the moon together and play with him. But any new friendship had to be based on honesty and so with a heavy snout Flick spoke to the woman again.

"Well, the truth is my name is Flick, and I'm not a wolf god. I am a shape shifter of sorts."

What he said wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the truth either. He considered this a good middle ground before telling her he was Kindred. He moved towards her again, this time even slower. His nose indicated no danger, and when in doubt Flick always trusted his nose.

"I came here to enjoy the heavenly moon," the vampire explained. "It's so large and beautiful tonight. It made me want to run and play in the silver light." Tone was hard to pick up through wolf noises but Flick sounded ecstatic at the chance to play on the beach.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 11:48:59 AM »
“There is no such thing as shifters” She said automatically, but as she looked at the wolf she felt an uneasy roll in her stomach. A shifter made more sense than a physical manifestation of the divine.

Her family’s lore was filled with such creatures as well as so much more, according to the lore books the world was filled with all things fantastical. If Flick was real, then was everything else real as well? Her mind boggled at the idea. Confused, unsettled and suddenly afraid she looked up at the moon, took a deep breath, closed her eyes and just let its radiance was over and through her. Tonight was a night of magic, she could accept that, tomorrow? Well that was a new day and it could look after itself. Pushing her doubts and her questions aside she looked at the wolf, now mere inches away and smiled.

“Flick” she said, sounding the name out on her tongue. “ I don’t know what I believe right now, but I do know tis a night filled with magic and the full moon makes every witch want to run and play. Can we leave hard truths for the cold light of day? I want to play tonight too”

She really wanted to stretch her hand out and touch the wolf, to feel it’s living body beneath her fingers, to determine for herself that it was real, but the wolf seemed hesitant the last time she asked and she didn’t want to scare the creature off. “Tonight I want to run free and let go my fears, Tonight I will be witch, tomorrow I can return to being just plain but strange Shiobhán.”

Smiling softly she rose slowly to her feet and looked down at the wolf. “What do you think?”

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 03:32:21 PM »
The wolf pulled it's head away proudly at the assertion that shifters weren't real. He was clearly one! However. he remembered how much of the world stayed hidden form mortals. She was a witch though, and so it wasn't outside the realm of possibility for her to believe in such things. He debated changing into homid form to spook her, and teach her that shifters were very much real. He decided against the action however, not wishing to cause a problem over something as mercurial as belief.

The night was beautiful and while Flick didn't see it as magic, nature did seem more alive tonight than normal. Most of his kind didn't get to appreciate the life in the world, stuck in battles for their own humanity and rotting in the urban jungle. Flick got to see creation, death, destruction and rebirth as only the wilds can show them. It would be nice to share in that experience with someone, even better as a lupine.

"I say my dear Shiobhan, let's run!" The wolf jumped with excitement and got close enough to be touched. His fur still had the wind giving it movement and he celebrated the new friendship with an "AWOOOOOOOOOO." His howl filled the night with a certain joy. The moon sensed it had a worshiper or two.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 05:51:19 PM »
Shiobhan laughed as Flick jumped and bounced before her and as he moved closer towards her she was unable to resist the temptation any longer, she lightly stroked his fur with her fingertips, the reality of it sending a small shock wave through her body but she felt no warmth, no body heat from the animal beside her. He was cool to the touch and yet there was no mistaking the zing of power that coursed through him either. Was he real? Or was he a sending after all?

Leaving her doubts aside she went and scooped up some sea foam from the water as it rolled across the sand and her feet. She looked at her wet glistening hand and smiling whimsically, she cupped her other hand over it she focused her will and intent before sending power into the trapped foam before flinging it away from her. Using magic so openly was not something she would normally do, as for creating phantasms and illusions, well it was so far out of her comfort zone, so past the normal and ordinary life she craved for herself she couldn’t help but wonder at her own behavior, had she finally cracked it? Was she losing her marbles?

As the foam scattered, it shimmered and pulled the moonlight into itself and reformed into a glimmering stag. The moonlight and sea foam creature turned its head and looked at them before bounding away, it zigged and zagged along the wet sand and each time its hooves kicked up more sea form a dear would form running behind it.

“Why run when you can chase and hunt?” She asked with a soft laugh as she watched the shimmering herd of dear run along the beach in front of them. “Now lets run”

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 02:36:05 PM »
When the witch touched Flick he tensed and was nervous. What would she make off his dead flesh? She seemed to only notice his power, his own tranquility beating down his own inner beast. He felt something within her too, the sense of nature he'd felt before magnified. The little one had power, even if she was not yet fully aware of it. She could be a guardian of the forest!

As the witch crafted her magic, the Gangrel used his own power. He tapped into the nearby creatures, calling to them through his will. A flock of seagulls flew in and circled above the dancing foam stag, creating a coordinated combination of nature and magic. Flick had never seen this craft, but was delighted by the witch's spells, jumping high into the air to show his excitement. He would need to meet this woman in another form so night, pick her brain and learn from her. But she was right. Tonight he would chase and run, and she had even been nice enough to create prey for him!

He stretched his front and back paws, a few loose joints cracking in appreciation. At the command to run he pounded away like a bullet, a rush of fur passing his new friend as he chased the sea foam creatures of the moon. The sand of the beach left prints of his large paws as he ran along.

"Can you keep up is the question!" His words were a friendly challenge, a lighthearted laugh felt through the animal communication.   
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 12:11:48 PM »
Shiobhan was slightly startled as she felt power emanate from the wolf but laughed with surprised glee as the summoned gulls came and played with the deer.
As Flick tore off after the deer she stayed awhile and just watched, the joy, the life, the rightness of a wolf running along a beach on a full moon chasing a herd of deer with an entourage of gulls squawking behind.

Smiling at the perfect nonsensical image running before her she hiked up her robes so the hem wouldn’t tangle her feet and she started to run. Naturally she didn’t of a hope in Hades of catching up with Flick or the deer let alone keeping up but she ran nonetheless, she ran and she laughed until she couldn’t run anymore then she just plonked onto the soft sand and laid back. The sky was bright and clear and the breeze cool and soft. The stag and deer wouldn’t last much longer before disappearing into the air and sea, becoming nothing more then sea-foam once more.

Folding her arms behind her head she watched the stars overhead and sighed contentedly. Not knowing how or why or even if it would work she formed some words in her mind and picturing the running wolf named Flick she flung her thoughts and words out to him.

“Not even a little bit my friend, but the sand is soft, the stars are bright, and the breeze is cool where I am.”

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 02:18:16 AM »
The run felt amazing as Flick’s over sized paws pounded along the beach, the foam creatures delighting him and enthusing him. Magic was beautiful when combined with nature, and the seagulls created created a squawking choir of background music, accompanied by the winds. He knew they were both seriously breaking the masquerade, but this was no Camarilla town, and Flick felt power in and joy in their celebration of the moon. He pounced on the foam stag, the deer scattering as he did. The magical confection broke under his weight, but Flick was satisfied he’d caught his prey and harrumphed through his wolf jowls in delight. He heard the mental communication from the witch who’d created this sea-foam hunt, and the deer all melted away, as he strut his way back. The gulls said goodbye too, choosing to go back to looking for random scraps of moldy bread. He came up to where the witch sat and plopped down next to her. He faked heavy breathing, even though he was not pressed at all, and turned his snout to her.

“Thank you for such a fun hunt. You must be a very powerful witch to make such beautiful magic.”

He placed his massive head on her lap, and looked up expectantly for pets. He’d been such a good boy after all.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.