Author Topic: Academic Pursuits  (Read 15447 times)

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
Academic Pursuits
« on: January 21, 2019, 10:27:24 AM »
Continued from Nighttime Markets

Digital walked alongside Flick on a path the Gangrel likely knew, because it led to the woods. After running through the woods together for another energetic game of tag (and hide and seek behind thick tree-trunks or perched on branches), the Malkavian led his new friend to the concreted area carved into the woods itself. It still smelt of the many mortals who'd come by day to work on the large building, but their scent faded as the Meadowcrest breeze swept it away.

Over his shoulder he grinned broadly - proudly, even - at Flick, slightly behind him. He didn't miss the curious look in the other vampire's eyes. Nobody had really paid attention to this place - it was fairly new, and the underground construction had only just finished, but Digital had been waiting for his voices to tell him it was done. He'd wanted a tour of the place and now he didn't have to be alone in his exploration.

"This place is named after my friend," Digital declared grandly, walking Flick around the circular garden so they could both stare at the words 'Kerr Galvin Academy' on a bit of wood and brushed metal. He suppsed it was a fancy kind of modern sign, but it didn't feel big enough to him. Kerr had a heart of gold, so the sign should be made out of that, instead. "This isn't what I wanted to show you," Digital shook his head and jogged over to the metal plate bolted on the concrete of the foundation itself. "Under here. This is where the best kept secret it." He leapt at one of the bolts and started working it loose, intending to peel the metal cover up like a sardine can, so he and Flick could wriggle inside and enjoy the spoils of academic living.

Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Academic Pursuits
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 10:51:19 AM »
Flick did know the path, and along the way stopped to show Digital interesting stuff. There was  the oldest tree in the woods, the raccoon dens, and a few pot plants mortals were growing. He snickered at his secret places, happy to have someone to show them too. As they approached the exit of the woods, the beast frowned. He didn't like construction sights. They took away all the nature. Man's averse and greed knew no bounds. Digital seemed nice though and if he liked this place maybe it wasn't so bad.

He read the sign. "Who's Kerr," Flick asked, innocently. As they reached the underground Flick sniffed it, looking for signs of trouble. He didn't find any and raised his head to meet Digital's goggle eyes. "What's down here," he asked, keeping an eye peeled for other trespassers.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 03:12:48 PM »
Digital was pleased to share the news of Kerr's greatness. His voice dropped to a whisper and he moved his hands about mystically as he described the man that Flick didn't know.

"He is a vampire, like us, but so much more. He has carved up time and taken pieces of it for viewing in his many homes. He had an affair with Mother Earth herself, in the form of an angelic boy with sharp teeth. He defeated a dragon slayer with fragments of reflections. He has moved into a different universe and returned from it, unscathed. He has negotiated peace with ancient demons. He is the King of Forgiveness and overseer of lost boys." Digital nodded and blinked, watching as Flick processed all of this. Digital straightened up and spoke in a regular voice: "And he was leader of the city for a couple of years."

Flick's second question was a lot more straightforward to answer. "Come look for yourself."

Once Digital pulled back the metal sheet enough to wriggled through, he entered the basement with a short drop at the bottom of a grand staircase. Motion lights had been built into the walls and even Digital was impressed as the wall panels closest to him lit up with a soft glow. Kerr's childe hadn't held back with the cash.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 03:59:23 AM »
Flick was completely enamored as Digital spun his tale of the titan known as Kerr. He looked like a child sitting for story time, jaw dropped, eyes wide with amazement and focus entirely on the storyteller. He had to admit, Digital had a nice body. He was very muscular, and his hugs looked like they would feel very nice. They would need to do something about the hair, and he wished he could see the eyes behind the goggles, but overall he'd decided he liked the strange man in front of him.

Flick had very little experience with boys despite liking them. He'd stolen a pair of nice clothes and braved Risk once, but instantly hated it. All the humans running around begging to get bit, and the lazy city Kindred, feeling so lofty and proud of their sin den didn't care for a dirty wolf boy like Flick. They'd forgotten what it was like to catch their own food, and that their prey was worth loving and respecting. He also hadn't enjoyed how quickly men wanted to have sex. It wasn't that he was opposed to sex, but he just really wanted to like someone first. His only real sexual experience to date had been with a tricky dark angel, and Flick had sworn off the whole race as a result of the encounter.

"This Kerr guy sounds really important," Flick said, one hundred percent believing the statement as he uttered it. He made a mental note to not piss that guy off. He didn't want to be broken into pieces like time was! This Kerr must be some kind of wizard, and Flick knew enough to fear a powerful wizard. That's why he was training supernaturals! It all made sense. The wizard planned to teach magic!

Flick wiggled on in and dropped down next to Digital. Digital would notice that as Flick fell he looked as light as a feather dropping. He made no noise as he landed. When he saw the motion sensors he hugged Digital out of instinct and a little fear. His own eyes glowed red, and he snarled at the device before realizing it was just technology and not a threat.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 04:13:41 PM »
Digital put an arm around Flick, squeezing his shoulder in a way he hoped was comforting and not restrictive. He hummed a lullaby, because they could make babies fall asleep so they weren't threatening at all, until he was sure that Flick wouldn't throw himself at the wall panels and rip them out.

"These lights have eyes, but not fingers like the sun," he explained, sweeping his hand out. One of the wall panels sensed movement and lit up. Digital giggled for he loved all manner of technology. "There is a control room somewhere around here. I can smell its wires and monitors and tippety-typey keyboards." He wiggled his fingers in the air to demonstrate, unsure if Flick knew about security rooms and hacking. "Lets see if the rooms have their clothes on." He gestured with his head before turning to go exploring.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 10:41:47 AM »
He didn't mind the squeeze, and actually smiled when it happened. He laughed nervously again as he watched Digital play with the weird lights. He didn't know much about tech. He knew what a computer was, that everyone had a Facebook, and that robots had put humans out of work. He also had an MP3 player that was about ten years old. It was in the infamous backpack that Digital had taken.

Flick's eyes stayed red, but he didn't put his glasses back on. If Digital asked about them, Flick would explain they help him see in the dark but otherwise would walk through the underground wizard school. He had difficulty taking it all in. It was the biggest building he'd been in for a while. He stared mostly at Digital and hoped he'd explain more things. He liked the way he talked.

"How long can we stay here," Flick asked, eyes darting hither and thither. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 11:56:15 AM »
Digital stole glances at Flick's red eyes, wondering why he would keep them like that since it was obvious he had a choice. Unless he didn't have a choice, but at least he had some normal eyes sometimes. Digital also had red eyes, but he didn't like looking at them in the mirror, and didn't want people looking at him with his red eyes on, so he covered them with yellow goggles. It made them look orange, and that was okay. Amber eyes were a thing. Or maybe hazel.

"My eyes are either a traffic light or a girl's name," he confided in Flick. Wall panels lit the way - not that either vampire needed them, but they'd obviously been hardwired to do it. "We can stay here until the building is built!" he cried, offering as straight an answer as possible. "Ants will scurry but they won't climb into our pants. We can climb into theirs, though!" Digital peered into a darkened room. Empty. Hmn. That was no good.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 04:16:59 PM »
"Which girls name," Flick asked, for the first time really asking Digital to clarify. He wanted to see his eyes, but dared not ask him to take off his goggles. He didn't want to offend you see. Realizing there was enough light, Flick let his eyes fade back to normal, a doppy but pleased smile on his face as he walked along the hallway peering in rooms.

Flick giggled as Digital said they could stay till the building was built, assuming that must've been obvious. To the comment about ants, he wasn't worried. He could make them be nice or go away if Digital didn't like them. He liked almost all animals though, except for Garou.

Digital was right that this place would be excellent for Hide and Seek and Chasey, and he already made note of a few good hiding spots as they walked. A few more rooms were empty until they came along a nice door that "Dormitories" above it. Flick stopped, sniffing the door.

"There are rats in there," he said happily, pointing towards the furry pets. "Can I keep one while I'm down here? Would you mind? I won't if you'll mind!"

- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 08:37:17 PM »
"Both of them," Digital replied, for both Amber and Hazel were girls names, but only one of them were part of traffic lights. "I know everybody pushes Amber, but if she wants me to stop, I'll stop." Digital was a gentleman driver. Or a driving gentleman. In that case, Digital was neither, because he didn't have a licence.

"Rats?" Digital repeated with a grin. "They make good drinking buddies."

While he knew that Flick wouldn't consider using the rodents for their blood, he couldn't help himself from saying what was on his mind.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 09:12:36 AM »
Flick was confused about Digital's friends Amber, but figured he'd meet her eventually. As Digital talked about rats being drinking buddies he frowned slightly. Flick fed from bigger animals, as he could take only a little from them without hurting them. Rats were so small though. He knew his connection to beats was different than most vampires and tried not to judge.

"Let's go meet them," Flick said, opening the door and heading inside.

Flick would wait for Digital to enter though. He was unsure of this wizard school, and found exploring it easier with his fortune teller companion.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 11:57:11 AM »
Digital followed Flick into the room and heard the pattering of tiny feet immediately.

Don't eat us, the King Rat said, and Digital huffed his surprise. He grabbed Flick's arm and boggled at him. "These rats are royal! Do you think they drive Cadillacs?"

He wondered if it was the rats telling him about the traffic lights before.

You must make us a shrine and give us names

Digital laughed in Flick's face, delighted to have found a new hobby for himself.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 12:13:29 PM »
Flick looked scared for a moment, the intensity and closeness of the laughter slightly threatening. He backed away a bit but his eyes stayed mortal in hue. He laughed nervously at Digital's proclamation and decided to roll with it, also showcasing what he could really do.

"Well if the rats are royal then call me the rat king!" He cut a flashy pose, but the moon child would see a fair amount of vitae at work. Flick closed his eyes for a moment and then he'd hear them. The rats all came, about twenty or so and lined up in front of them like toy soldiers. They chipped and squealed and cried in greeting, excited to see the real animal among them. The front row even bowed, an erie sort of Disney movie, as Flick Doolittleed the furry fiends.

They were in his sway, a charmed band of followers eager to please. The biggest rat among them crawled on Flick's shoulder and licked his ear.

"I'll name you... Pinky."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 07:38:47 PM »
Flick's desire to call his rat Pinky earned himself a gleeful laugh from Digital, who plucked another rat from the line and showed him off in his palm. "This is Vein! Or Vane, or maybe Vain. I'm not sure yet. But look! They make a cute couple. Pinky and the Vein!"

Almost all of his voices started laughing at him, and Digital hesitated, unsure why. Then the whispering started up again and he did his best to ignore its incessant noise and focussed on Flick.

"Shall we keep looking? I don't mind the floor but it can be hard on the knees." He put his new pet on his shoulder, where it clung to his clothes. "I think I'll go with Vane, instead."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 03:53:18 AM »
That rat now known at Pinky continued his work of cleaning Flick’s ear, and the wet sensation made the Gangrel shiver, like he had gooseflesh.The other rats looked sad that just two among them had been chosen by the gods and squealed with protest. Flick released the others from his thrall, and casually they all scurried away leaving just Flick, Digital, Pinky and Vane. Flick might even turn Pink into a proper Familus. It would be nice to have an animal companion again, and it would mean that Flick had made two friends today. Flick looked approvingly at how Digital handled Vane, and smiled broadly when Digital mentioned that Vane and Pinky were a couple.

What could they be the couple of? Why was Flick jealous that two rats might be in a couple before him? Flick looked at Digital and wondered if he’d ever been in a couple. He should ask him that soon. When the child of Malkav suggested they look elsewhere, Flick locked arms with him. He wasn’t afraid anymore, and besides now he had Pinky to keep him safe.

“Lead the way cutie,” he said, hoping he wouldn’t regret telling Digital he thought he was cute.     
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 10:53:14 AM »
Digital didn't mind being called 'cutie' though didn't take it as anything beyond a term of endearment. Endearment. Endear. Dear. Dare.

"Truth or dare?" he asked as they moved back into the corridor and went exploring some more. His voices had told him there were dressed rooms down here. He didn't want to see any more naked rooms! Naked rooms weren't as fun as naked people.