Author Topic: Opposite Stars Align  (Read 14997 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Opposite Stars Align
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »
Jake nodded approvingly of the question. She had been reading, not that he ever doubted she would. Sam was a hard worker, and Jake valued that trait in people. He looked at Ben to see what he thought of all this, expression inquisitive. To Sam, he motioned her forward with his right hand, pulling out his lighter with the left. He first lit a cigarette, something he'd rolled himself, so the smell would be pungent. Jake planned to demonstrate something for her that would answer her question, and potentially impress the two younger vampires.

"The cold shouldn't do much harm as long as your limbs are not freezing solid," Jake began. "Now in that case, yes, it would provide some protection from damage."

He made sure they were both still with him, now raising his hand and placing the lighter underneath. Was their suspense in the room? He hoped so. This was a fun trick he'd learned to do. He lit the lighter and placed it to his hand, and yet it did not burn.

"This is the level of Fortitude I am currently training," he explained, a tiny amount of flesh starting to redden. "This technique is called 'Defying the Bain.' It was developed by Clan Gangrel I believe, but it allows us to resist weak fire and brief exposure to sunlight. As you can see, I have made some progress, but even I would burn eventually." He stopped the lighter, a small red mark where he'd placed the flame. "Most elders develop Fortitude regardless of their clan. They wouldn't have survived that long if they didn't, but training it directly allows you to control it, respect it and apply it. Most vampires are not given the instruction needed to do this. One day, this fire will not burn me at all, and I will move on to larger flames. Do you understand my dear?"

He was sure Sam would be upset he was burning himself, even to teach her. However, he needed to show her such things were possible and demonstrations were far superior to just discussion. He turned to Ben, curious how he'd received the event. "Ben, did you have any questions or comments?"
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2019, 06:27:50 PM »
Ben's initial concern gave way to confusion as Jake and Sam spoke to one another, continuing a conversation he wasn't part of nor was invited to be part of. It didn't take long for it to dawn on him that their training session was going to carry on as if he hadn't interrupted. Was this his punishment? Having to sit here, listen and watch while someone else got trained? He'd thought Jake meant to speak with him - but was making a show of not interrupting Sam's training. Ben would have to sit here through the whole fucking thing and wait for his turn.

But something nagged him. Had he been told to sit in? Or had he been asked? He eye-rolled, hoping it wasn't the latter. If he'd cornered himself into joining this impromptu session, then it was his own stupid fault.

Resentment burned in him and he had little patience for Sam's question. He liked her, he really did, but her question about the sun was... lame. He knew an ancient vampire who had seen four millennia pass by, and Charon still feared the sun. Vampires weren't made out of glitter, like in the movies, they were made out of blood and ash, and the latter was all that was left of them if they fancied a bit of solar power.

When Jake made a big deal over lighting the flame, Ben stared at him like he'd become a two-bit magician. When his hand first lowered onto the naked flame, Ben blinked at the display. He was pretty sure fire was a big no-no, and the older a vampire got the more, well, flammable they became. He'd thought it stupid when vampires smoked. It wasn't like they were getting a buzz out of it or anything. All it did was make them smell bad, turn off clean donors and risk lighting themselves on fire.

As Jake continued his speech and proved that fire could be tamed, Ben found a part of himself that was impressed. He was still a bit unsure about the clan bloodlines, even though he knew the theory and the basics. Jake was talking about stuff that he hadn't learnt at the Academy yet. Eventually, he would. Ben would've been surprised if he knew Jake considered some of these lessons to be trade secrets. It wasn't like Sam was being secretive about any of what she knew.

The flame cut off and Jake presented the small wound on his hand. When he was addressed, it startled him initially, for he'd been so sure that he wasn't really a part of this, that it took him a moment to process that he was.

"Why move onto bigger flames next? Why not move onto hotter flames, like from a bunsen burner?"

This way you're only risking your hand
not your whole arm
or your whole self if you miscalculate

It was possible that Sam (and very likely for Jake) to pick up on his thoughts this time, because Ben had been surprised out of mentally blocking. He wasn't actively sending, but it was out there for anyone to hear.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2019, 04:26:52 AM »
Sam could almost see the direction her question was going with Jake. Unaware of Ben's displeasure at her question, vampires of Ben's bloodline it be a stupid question for sure. Sam however was the bloodline of Caine, a blue blood. Considered god-kings in ancient Babylon times, and held titles as lords and ladies in the Dark Ages. Even now her clan, known as the Clan of Kings. Was considered royalty in most places of the world still today.

Jake beckoned for Sam to lean closer, and Sam was slow and reluctant. Pulling out a lighter in a grand display, lighting his rolled smoke and Sam was at ease. That was short lived. Sam's eyes grew wide as Jake burned himself, her eyes staring where the flame connected with Jake's hand. Only a small red mark appeared, explaining this was called 'Defying the Bain.' Sam was feeling slightly unnerved that Jake burnt himself, but she knew his reasoning behind it. Giving Jake a small smile as he finally included Ben in the lesson.

Sam could not read Ben's thoughts if he did have any, resting her gaze on Ben now. There was the Ben she knew, so full of questions. It was a good question, did it matter for Fortitude if the flames were big or hotter? Or did Fortiude cover any sort of fire or sunlight damage? Sam was unsure and awaited paitently for Jake's wisdom to grace them. Sam also wondered what discilpine Jake would choose next to teach?

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2019, 02:36:16 PM »
Jake approved of Ben's question. It was a valid point, one he'd already considered of course, but valid nonetheless. Maybe there was more to Ben than a pretty face and a smart mouth. Perhaps he had a smart brain too. Sam hadn't offered a question, so Jake assumed Ben's had captivated her attention. He put away his lighter, the cigarette dangling from his mouth quite expertly for how little he was actually holding it. He ashed it on the floor. It was his office after all, and he would have someone come in here and clean when they were done. He never knew when this room might come in handy in the future. Better keep it nice.

He turned to face Ben, since he'd asked the question. Jake hadn't planned on reading Ben's mind, but it was simply open to him. He might as well have just spoken it. Ben needed to remember thoughts were precious and should be kept away from prying minds.

"That's a good suggestion Ben. In truth both are needed. Hotter flames burn quicker, so require an overall higher tolerance. However, larger flames expose more flesh and applying the technique to your whole body takes more effort than a small are like this." He pointed to the red mark, which was slowly fading back to pink. "As to your other point," he said wryly addressing Ben's thoughts now. "Risk is needed when training the blood. However, one should know their limits and while holding my hand to a Bunsen burner and pulling it back would've been more impressive, I'm simply not there yet." He turned to Sam now. "Hence my call for patience and humility." He smiled at her. He could sense she was enjoying her lesson, and he enjoyed teaching her. Teaching and potentially tormenting, Ben was just a bonus. 

He pulled himself off the desk to a standing position. "Shall we practice Dominate next?" He looked to Sam, but Ben would get a mental message all his own this time. Sam would be able to hear too, but the message was for Ben. He faced the Neonate, a friendly challenge clear on his face.

If you think you can handle it?
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2019, 04:01:25 PM »
So it was a combination of control, skill and blood strength. Jake's explanation made total sense, absorbing the information like a sponge. Showing Jake earlier Sam could move her blood with ease. Showing it was possible to move her blood across her body, protecting it for a time at least. Safeguarding her skin and even her internal organs from the flames. Sam guessed in time once she had a higher tolerance and more practice. She could one day take the damage of the sun, maybe even walk in the daylight. Everything was coming together for Sam and she understood the powers of Fortiude much better with Jake's guidance. She even had a grasp and a good start to understanding the mental abilities of Fortitude. Her thoughts on the discipline coming to an end.

Sam went into a shy position, shoulders slumped as she wiggled in her seat. A little embarrassed she could not use dominate, it was the Venture clans pride among all the other abilities. A feeling of weakness washed over Sam, best get it out of the way now. Nodding at Jake that she was ready to practice, trying to put on a brave face. Not realising this was one of those situations where Sam was being to hard on herself.

Sam even appreciated the friendly challenge towards Ben, hearing loud and clear through their bond. She hoped Ben would join in and rise to the challenge. Jake's mood had improved once he had seen Ben was an inquisitive individual, a sigh of relief for Sam. Much more relaxed Sam arose from her seat, matching Jake's stance. Still nervous that Jake would be disappointed, almost five years being a Ventrue and slim to no luck with dominate. She hoped her lesson with Jake would help her understand why she lacked so badly in the skill.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2019, 07:22:08 PM »
Ben's question was answered, though Jake misinterpreted it slightly. He didn't care, the answer was still the same. After training with Kerr, and then Vincent, and also having lessons from Sam via her class, he personally found Jake as the lesser teacher. He might know more, but his lofty show-off attitude was a turn-off. His lackeys might respond to his bravado, but not Ben. His manner was reminiscent of Lazarus in so many ways that he wondered if the two of them were friends. Or enemies, if they were too alike. Still, Jake was an ex-Oligarch and a current District Leader (of the city central, no less, the most powerful district in Ben's opinion) and all Ben had to show for himself was being partnered up with the ex-Luminary and starting up a school. He could hardly compare.

The challenging words were clear in his mind, dashing his thoughts and focussing his attention more fully on Jake. Ben answered like with like, his nature was to conform to others and Jake's arrogance was bringing out the arrogance in him.

"It's something I've dabbled in for years now. I've beckoned a lot of meals my way with that technique, and planted a seed in their minds that they weren't drunk from."

Ben had done nothing but train since the day he'd been sired, and it showed in his ability - except he'd also used a few techniques less on the supernatural side to help him along. He wasn't about to tell Jake (or Sam) that while 'dominating years ago', he'd actually been slumming a New York street corner pretending to be a whore in order to attract clientele to him. He also wasn't about to tell them that he let his 'customers' think that they'd been satisfied by him, by using the bite's sexual side and transferring the sensation from neck to groin. Was that Domination, or Enchantment? As far as Ben was concerned, it was same/same. He was young enough to think he knew enough.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2019, 10:26:03 AM »
Jake sensed Sam's weakness and watched her shrink in her seat. He'd suspected for a while that Sam's inability to preform Dominate stemmed from her overwhelming kindness. Domination was not nice, and it was not polite or considerate. It was ego personified and layered into it was a lack of caring about the victim. Vampires felt better erasing humans minds when treating them horribly, but they rarely went back to check on the kine, or to see what long term damage messing with their minds had caused. Jake was guilty of this, and for a brief moment the face of a beautiful Latino man flashed before his eyes. Neither Ben or Sam would see this mental image for the simple purpose that Jake didn't want them to, and both were far below the level of reading his mind when he didn't wish it. He would need to help Sam develop her sense of confidence if she was to preform the act, and quickly realized he could make Ben be helpful in that purpose. He would never be disappointed in Sam again. He'd spent too many years refusing to get close to her and used her earlier missteps as an excuse. He had a chance to make that up to her, and he planned on doing his best.

Ben's answer was revealing as to what he knew and didn't know. Memory modification was certainty a form of Dominate and clouding memories was often the first Dominate power a Kindred learned. However, a lot of what Ben described sounded more like Presence. Jake suspected that supernatural charisma was one of Ben's abilities even if he didn't know he was doing it. Why else was every vampire in town keep blabbing on about Ben for all these years? Even Lazarus had mentioned Ben in passing, and Jake just seemed to resent the younger vampire for it. He was jealous of something he didn't understand, the parallels and similarities between them outside of his self awareness.

"Dominate is the insertion of one's will onto another so completely as to erase the victim's will entirely. The part of God's curse on Cain that Dominate represents is that most vampires lose the ability to practice empathy. When you can simply demand that others love you, worship you, let you feed from them you never really earn anything. Overtime your ability to connect with others begins to worsen as you start forgetting not everyone thinks like you do."

There was something contrite in how he explained it, and they would both notice guilt overtake his face, something far deeper than his youthful looks suggested. He seemed like he might move on to teaching a technique, but felt the need to say more. "I am working to correct the imbalances in my personality created by my overuse of this discipline and I have Sam here to thank. You taught me to care again." He gave her a warm smile. "I tell you both this because while I'm excited to teach it to you, remember to not use it with people you love. Just talk to them instead."

Maybe Ben would see it as more loftiness, or maybe he'd think Jake weak for his trepidation and guilt, but these words were mostly for Sam. He wouldn't let her make the same mistakes he did.

"Now as to the actual technique I'd like you both to try and preform, I think we should try basic commands with eye contact. Who would like to go first?"
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2019, 11:39:00 AM »
(ooc: jumping in front of Idrial with the guess that Ben's reaction will come before Sam's)

It finally dawned on Ben that he'd been called in here not to have his chat with Jake, but to participate in the lesson. He suddenly felt like the invader he was, and his discomfort showed in the way he fidgeted in his seat. He didn't want to interrupt the District Leader as he explained the side-effect of Domination - something Ben was interested in hearing more about, but also felt like this was not the time and place.

At the prompt, Ben grabbed Jake's words and ran with them - almost literally - as he stood from his chair.

"I'll go first. In reality, I mean. I only came here to find Digital, to see if he had any more predictions." He looked from Jake to Sam and back again, wanting to apologise for butting in, but he'd never have guessed that the ex-Oligarch would use his old offices to train in. "I... I... should get back to Kerr."

Not wanting to look extra foolish in front of Sam, but also wanting to explain himself to Jake for his sudden exit, he reverted to mental communication, aimed at the older vampire.

He gets jealous when other people train me. He's only just come back, so...

He didn't know how to finish the thought, so he pressed a small sensation of regret into Jake's mind before departing... then, after looking between the two of them again, he began working his way around the desk, intending to go out the door.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2019, 02:24:43 PM »
Perhaps it was the suddenness of the proclamation, or maybe it was his preconceived notions about Ben, but Jake read the situation wrong. Jake's eyes narrowed, and his lips went tight forming a neat little frown on his face. His body language retreated from the child of Kerr, a turtle drawing itself back into it's shell. A million reasons popped into Jake's head as to why Ben would suddenly leave, and they all ended badly.

So you think you have nothing to learn from me?
I'm not good enough to teach you?
Do you just like pissing me off? Like, is that your kink?

He sat back down on the desk, averting his eyes from both Ben and Sam. He didn't find the idea that he was leaving due to Kerr jealousy credible. Kerr and he had been friends, and he would be highly offended to find out Kerr didn't trust him anymore. Also, Ben took classes with Sam, his progeny! Did Kerr only get jealous when males taught him? He was back though. That was news he knew Lazarus would want to hear. Thanks Ben.

He couldn't quite be called angry, but his face expressed displeasure for sure, and Sam would sense a small amount of the rage Jake had been working to leave behind. To Jake, Ben had done what he was famous for in the city. He'd showed up uninvited, drew attention to himself, made a scene and left the other people in the room to make sense of it all. His own emotions made the idea of trying to keep teaching Sam feel like anguish, and at first said nothing to Ben as he began to leave. His eyes, body, mind and mouth were all on mute. Just as Ben reached the door he'd receive a quick mental message before Jake closed back up his mind.

Be sure to give Kerr my regards.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2019, 10:38:49 AM »
Sam wanted to cry at that moment when Jake explained she had made him care again. Sam however locked up her tears tight in front of Ben, opening up to Jake full force. He could feel her urge to cry at such words, wanting to share this moment privately with him. Even with Ben’s presence she knew he could not feel out their bond. Ben was not a part of their bloodline and sure he could read thoughts, but this was through private means. It was comfort that Sam would never take for granted, she would start opening up to Jake more. He had kept his word and had not micromanaged her emotions, unheard of in her clan. Now Jake would be rewarded and it made her tickle pink inside.

Sam’s hopes of Ben participating were quickly dashed away; his offer of going first was clearly misleading. Excited but nervous to hear he could use dominate she thought for a moment he would not run. However this had happened in the past, remembering one of the first classes she took he had run in the end. Sam had apologized to Ben and in the end it had turned into a strong relationship, even outside the academy. But this was Jake's lesson and if Ben wanted to leave it would be inappropriate to re-invite Ben back. Sensing Jake’s rage as Ben gave his explanation, having an inkling it was more than just getting back to Kerr. However, Sam was not one to push the subject as Ben slowly sauntered his way towards the door.

“It was nice to see you Ben,” she smiled. “Perhaps soon we could practice together. Maybe even have both our Sire’s join us too.” Getting a sort of twinkle in her eye she quickly added, “I also hope to see you in class soon. I do miss our conversations after class,” that was true. She did miss his conversations.

Ben was not a bad person just rough around the edges, and his reputation wasn’t the greatest since the fall of the Oligarchy. Ben had made mistakes but Sam truly believed in his academy. He had taken Kerr’s death and done something good out of it. He just had to learn that the city was no longer one, that Jake owned a district now. He could not wander where he pleased, something he would learn in time. He had been use to a certain lifestyle with Kerr for so long. Now with Kerr back she wondered what would happen and what was next for Ben and Kerr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2019, 12:52:12 PM »
To himself, Ben's mind screamed:

Argh, I'm such a fucking loser.

With his fingers resting lightly on the door handle, he didn't miss the scathing quality behind a mental message sent by Jake, rather politely. Because he was who he was, he measured Jake's unemotional reply using his own perspective. If Ichabod had made an excuse and run away, Ben would've looked down his nose at him, found him wanting and would've dismissed him with a neutral comment rather than snark. It felt like Jake had done exactly that. It was humiliating!

He turned to say something, but his own behaviour had boxed him in. There was nothing to say now. Speaking would only make it worse. And then Sam, lovely and warmhearted without any judgment, bid him farewell. Even though it wasn't her intention, her kind words at his bizarre exit compounded his embarrassment. If he was mortal, he would've reddened to his ears. Thank goodness for the small mercy of vampirism blocking telltale mortification.

He mumbled something that he didn't really think about and forgot immediately after; ('thanks again, sorry, I'll drop back into class soon') opened the door, left the room on legs that felt like planks, and pulled the door almost closed behind him. He headed back for the stairs and only once its heavy door closed at his back did he press up against it and covered his face with his palms in an attempt to hide.

Jake's going to think I'm a moron
So much for mending that bridge
You loser

Disgusted with himself, he hurried downstairs and left the building with his thoughts berating him the whole way.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2019, 03:21:56 PM »
Jake did his best to push Ben out of his mind. He'd taken up enough mental energy. He turned back to Sam, and in a more tight and gruff voice than before spoke to her.

"Perhaps we should review presence instead." He offered a weak smile, indicating that despite his mood he wanted to continue.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2019, 08:38:01 AM »
Sam could feel Jake’s discontent as she slowly sauntered over to him, “Don’t take offence Jake, this is not the first time he as run. Ben even did it after one of my own classes.” Trying to lighten his now sour mood, his weak smile wasn’t enough for Sam. She could see Ben’s presence had thrown him off, stopping a few feet in front of Jake.

“I do not agree with him just walking in your district and going into your building. Digital or no Digital,” her eyes warm towards Jake. Jake looked so much younger than Sam, she was twenty-four when she was sired by Jake. Six years apart in age in the human world, and it showed.

“Believe me he’s a good kid, but you have to remember Ben has had a certain lifestyle for a long time. I am sure it will click in Ben’s head there is more than one leader now, he was so lost when he thought Kerr was gone.” Sadness tinted her voice for a moment.

“At any rate yes let’s give presence a go. Maybe save the one I can’t use for last,” a more confident grin on her face now. Sam had hoped it had improved Jake’s mood, and to at least one day give Ben another chance. Jake would see Sam and Ben matched so well together; something most people would not guess in a thousand years.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2019, 02:40:55 PM »
Sam would find Jake resolute in his feeling towards Ben, but he loved her for trying to make him better than that. Why was he getting upset over Ben when this was he and Sam's day anyway? He moved back to his chair and pointed for Sam to the do same.

"Presence is the gift of the archangel Gabriel. It was meant to soften Cain's curse. However, make no mistake. It is no blessing. Now what forms of presence are you aware off?"

He wanted to gauge her knowledge, and felt a pop quiz was the best way to do it. Besides, it was a nice pallet cleanser after Ben.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2019, 05:48:06 PM »
Sam moved back to her seat, a look on concentration as Jake asked his question. Sam was only aware of a few forms, speaking slow as her thoughts formed into words, “I know… that… it’s more about effecting emotions than the mind… and… I think if I read the book right you don’t have control like you do with dominate.” Choosing her words carefully as she finished her sentence with Jake; showing that she had some knowledge of the discipline.

“I can use presence to draw attention to myself or repel people away from me,” she stated. “It’s not often I have to do it but at least I have a sort of grasp. I am just not sure how strong I am in the ability as I’ve only used it on mortals.” To be honest she was too scared to use it on a supernatural for fear she was not strong enough to use against supernatural’s her own age.