Author Topic: Opposite Stars Align  (Read 14967 times)

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
Opposite Stars Align
« on: January 24, 2019, 08:48:39 AM »
RESERVED FOR BILLIAM AND SATYR

The moon danced off the abandoned chambers, once being the glory of the city. Now it was the latter, the old chambers being abandoned for quite some time now. Vagrants of all types had moved in for a time. Leaving for whatever reason, giving the control back to Jake. The perfect spot for Jake to test Sam, all twenty-eight floors hidden from prying eyes.

A cigarette laced through her fingers as she followed Jake. It was a nippy night for the season. Dressing the part she wore a button up winter blazer, a midnight black. Covering the royal blue tank top she wore underneath. Her legs in a pair of dark skinny jeans. A simple pair of black leather knee high winter boots. This time her long hair in a neat crisp bun. Set higher on her head due to her long hair.

Sam hadn't the foggiest idea how to get into this place. She had no access when Jake was at war. Sam had entered this building a few times in the past. It never gave her a good feeling when she came. It had a spooky feeling to it, now it was just dead inside. A colony of expired rooms that maybe one day could be used for a better purpose.

A sort of eerie calm for now had washed over the building and that suited Sam just fine. Perhaps in the future the building could be used again but not as a political building. Its use tarnished for politics, maybe a mall? Or perhaps a luxurious hotel? The possibilities could be endless.

Taking another drag off her cigarette, a small luxury she could afford. She quit smoking as a mortal, cancer riddled her family history. Her body basically dead now she need not worry about it anymore. To Sam it was a treat rather than an addiction, she had no intention taking it up full time again. It was just nice to have one when the occasion arose.

Still following Jake in silence she wondered what area they would enter first? Sam was excited but mostly nervous. It will be the first time Jake would test her skills since he been back. Sam hoped she would make Jake just as proud. Like she had done with the White Rabbit. However disciplines was a whole different ball game than running a club.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Opposite Stars Align
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 07:41:44 AM »
Jake looked over his former place of work with disgust. The Oligarchy had been a representation of his earlier failures in this city, as well as the failings of the other leaders. Lazarus had been a boob, Kerr was too occupied with his children - fucking Ben - and Vomas had been too snide to effectively rule. Dominik was too quiet and had no real interest in ruling. Quinn was a coward and the demon Oligarch had been so ineffective he hadn’t even been around when the Oligarchy fell. Then there was the high bitch herself, the dark angel , Sarai Zohert. That stubborn, entitled cunt would need to be dealt with eventually and her current missing status brought Jake no joy. She was up to something and he feared it involved taking over the whole city.

His own crime had been an urge to fight that went beyond the call to action, and he’d quickly earned a reputation as a war monger. Some of those critiques had been justified, but now as the ashes fell he was still in control of his district, and Vomas. Vomas who? Jake had obviously been doing something right. He looked to Sam, and thought of their relationship at that time. They’d been so combative, and Sam had been one hell of a brat. So much had changed since then, and he was happy it had. Now, he was at this place of failure to highlight his successes, and training Sam to use her disciplines was a part of that success.

He knew she’d been working on them on her own while he was away, and was curious to see her progress. He’d also planned some exercises to help her stretch her ability. Above all, he was going to teach the most important rule when expanding one’s power, patience. He smoked too, and thought that Sam must’ve picked the habit up from him. She looked up to her sire, and why shouldn’t she? She was no rabble or Cattiff. She was a Ventrue, the clan of Kings, the masters of the mind and the secret rulers of half the world. The old Kindred saying went, “Show me a government, and I’ll show you a Ventrue pulling the strings.”

He wore something more youthful than normal. He wore a tight shirt with a picture of a unicorn on the front. The shirt was just a bit too short, exposing a smooth and slim abdomen. Jeans hugged his lower half and fun sneakers completed the ensemble. Even his jacket was more fun. He’d went to a thrift store and found a red and white letterman jacket with the letter J. stitched into the fabric. His hair was cutely combed to the side.

“Ready to go in,” he asked Sam, breaking the silence. They were standing near the inner gates.     
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 12:54:42 PM »
"Ready as I'll ever be," quipping back at him. A small smile dancing on her lips. Sam finished her cigarette in a long drag, putting it out on the bottom of her boot. Discarding the but in a ashtray nearby the inner gates, stepping inside. The yard was quiet for the night, not a mouse stirred. Once they got inside the building she was quite surprised. Making a comment to Jake.

"You know for a bunch of people living here it's not even dirty. Just cluttered, even smells okay." However, everything here was left behind. From bean bag chairs, to clothes and even food.

It looked like they had vanished overnight. Wondering what ever happened for them to leave? Their had to be a reason? More questions than answers, letting her curiosity slide. Sam was here to learn from Jake, even if she was a tad more nervous now. She wondered what Jake had in store, whether she would meet his expectations. Or not. Shaking the thought from her mind, No. You will do well on this test. And she would try not to compare herself to Jake in his abilities. He was older and much more adept with his disciplines than Sam.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 03:11:12 PM »
When Conner had been around, he'd vaguely threatened Jake to leave the Oligarchy building alone. He told Jake it would send the wrong message if the central district ruled from the former central seat of power. The irony was that he'd never wanted this wretched place. The White Rabbit was his headquarters because he wanted all to know who entered his district, that this was his district and he'd run any way he'd like.

In response to Sam's question, he merely shrugged. "I suppose Conner was maintaining it," he hypothesized. They walked through a series of hallways and stairwells. Jake smoked two full cigarettes in the time it took them to reach their location. They were near his old office.

VAMPIRE OLIGARCH JACOB MCCLOUD

The sign etched in the glass stared back, almost like a haunting memory. He pulled out a key, placed it in the lock and the door opened. The room was mostly bare, except for his old desk and two armchairs. They were undamaged by squatters as this room hadn't been broken into. It was secluded. It was quiet, and it was just the two of them. This was the perfect place to practice.  He sat, and motioned for Sam to join him. "Excited," he asked with a smile.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 04:31:35 PM »
He doesn’t know?! Sam looked at Jake shocked, “Conner had nothing to do with it. A man named Digital and his group took over the building for a time. Conner didn’t even try to stop it.” Her tone was sour. However it would not darken her mood. But it all made sense now. Conner had left with Bryant and there was no one to stop them from moving in. 

She knew nothing more about the subject. Sam was ordered by Jake to stay low and keep her eyes open; knowing the basics of what was happening in the city. Besides keeping the bar open and teaching at the academy she led a low risk life. Snapping away from her thoughts at the sight of the Jake's name on the door, this is all so eerie now. His key fitting perfectly in the lock, the office looked untouched. She smiled back at Jake as he beckoned her to sit.

“To be honest it’s a mixture of nervousness and excitement,” sitting down close to him. Her hands ended up on her lap. The left hand clasped neatly over top her right hand. A submissive posture emerged as she was ready to take in her lesson from Jake.   

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 03:21:43 AM »
Jake winced at the thought of Conner letting the building fall to ruin. It wasn’t his style. What had happened to Conner that left him so willy-nilly about his responsibilities. He was such a man of principle. Was Bryant’s ass really that good? No. It was good. Jake had partaken when Bryant was a human, but it wasn’t that good. Well, he’d have to think about that later. He’d post guards around the building and decided then he’d be making plans how to use the property. Maybe this was the kind of project Sam could help with.

As she answered his question, he gave her a familiar and devilish smile. “I shall test you in order of your best to your wo-.” He stopped himself, making a small correction. “In order of your best to the one that needs the most improvement.” See, he could be nurturing. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 04:17:04 AM »
Sam was stunned when Jake corrected himself from his usual form of speech. It was a feeling that tickled her heart strings in a joyous way. Jake was trying to be more nurturing and a smirk appeared on her lips. It brought her hope that the worst between them was over. That they could grow and have a stronger relationship together.

"What test do you use to see where I need improvement or not?" Sams curious eye's locked onto Jake's beautiful face.

With Jake back home Sam could now make up for the time that was lost. A foolish mistake on her part for being so stubborn and beligerant in the beginning. Well no more. It was time to stop looking at Jake as someone who stole her independence. Jake had given her a home, a family and ultimately gave her a life again.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 01:43:54 PM »
"Well don't you know," Jake threw back playfully. "Tell me about how you feel you've progressed and we can go from there Don't be nervous and just be yourself." It suddenly felt like a job interview.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 06:09:55 AM »
She was grateful that Jake was being playful. However to tell him how she had progressed it was a difficult question to answer. It was hard not to be nervous. Sam kept it so far intact, but it had slowly started to creep through. Her hands neatly clasped now curled into half crescent shapes, separating slightly as her posture slumped a little. Her gaze was down and not looking at Jake at first when she started to speak.

"I know," starting off slowly. "I lack in dominate... I can't use it yet." Disappointment in her voice. Now looking at Jake in the eyes as she continued to speak.

"Presence I can use but it's not strong. I guess you would say it's in the middle. I can use it but it does come become a struggle sometimes." Stopping for a short pause before she continued.

"Fortitude however is my strongest. I've always felt in tune with the physical. Even after I was embraced I felt even closer to it. Fortitude speaks to me in a language I can understand." Her voice more chipper as she talked about Fortitude.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 06:30:57 AM »
Jake smiled and nodded as Sam recounted her experience, making sure to control his expression and not showcase any overly positive or negative emotions. He didn't want her to think he was disappointed in her. He truly was not. Learning to command the powers of the blood was no small endeavor, and she was still so young. Jake had been in single military conflicts older than Sam. He stood up slowly and gestured for her to do the same.

"I'm going to hit you," he said calmly, explaining his process. "I want you to try and move the blood to protect yourself from me. Tell me when you're ready."

Once gaining her assent, he would go for a savage punch in the gut. Jake was not very strong for a vampire, but he was still almost three-hundred years old. If Sam commanded the powers of Fortitude she would not be harmed and Jake would feel like he had punched a brick wall. If she had failed however, Sam would likely double over the way most people do after being hit in the gut.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 07:21:27 AM »
Sam rose when Jake kindly gestured her with his hand. It was no surprise that Jake would have to strike her to test Fortitude. Most people couldn't take being hit but not Sam. Maria had seen the punches she had withstood in her mortal life. Now she had supernatural abilities and ones she did  it take for granted.

She nodded her head to signal she was ready, taking a single breath before the strike. Moving her blood to her gut with ease, imaging a steel plate underneath her skin. Protecting her internal organs Jake's punch came to a solid stop. Sam felt was could only be described as a light pinch when it came to the pain. She had slouched ever so slightly when she felt the pinch from his punch. However, Sam stood stone faced unsure of how the she faired on this test.

"Did I do well?" Her tone uneven as she awaited his answer. Not realising she was being way to hard on herself. Betraying her subconscious mind, she felt bad being a brat all those years ago. They should have gotten to this training sooner.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 08:41:10 AM »
Jake had felt no pain as he connected to Sam. Good, she had been practicing. Against a stronger opponent or repeated blows, Sam would feel a lot more pain, but this proved she was well on her way. There needed to be other physical tests of course. Could she resist damage from fire or sunlight for example. Jake didn't want to put her through such a harsh trial at this time. He nodded as she asked for approval, happy to give it since she'd earned it. He motioned for her to retake her seat, as he did the same. He crossed his legs, and placed his hands neatly folded in his lap.

"Excellent," he replied, tone more subdued than the word would suggest. "Resilience and toughness are the two most common manifestations of Fortitude. In the original Cain myth, Fortitude represented the arrogance of Cain as he pulled away from God, so while it makes us powerful and indestructible it also gives Kindred a false sense of security. They say ancients rely on it so heavily that many lose their danger instincts."

He waited to see if she had any thoughts or questions before moving onto the next test.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 12:07:07 PM »
Sam smiled graciously at his nod and his blessing. Taking her seat again her knees touching each other, hands loosely clasped together. Concentrating on Jake's voice as he spoke about Fortitude, most of which she already knew. It was nice to hear it rather than read it. Jake gave her a book on the night of her embrace. A book about her clan, the same one his own Sire gave to him. Not an original but pretty damn close but she did have one question.

"If Fortitude is a physical manifestation. How can one use Fortitude mentally? I've read it is possible in the clan book you gave me. But I never figured how it could be done, the book is more vague on the mental than it is the physical." Perhaps the reason was secrecy within the clan. Or perhaps it was because their history was both an mixture of oral and written tradition.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 03:57:19 PM »
Jake's face looked serious as he explained the next part, not wishing to frighten or upset Sam. Training could be difficult and he didn't want to overwhelm her. On the other hand, he had not been babied and he would've done Sam a great disservice by doing so. He sat up a bit more in his seat. The mental powers of Fortitude were just as important as the physical ones, and therefore he had to at least try and train Sam in those techniques.

"Fortitude is a representation of our resilience and commitment to continued existence. If our body is our vessel, than our mind is what is protects. Leaving it open to attack is not wise. Think of Lazarus. He is two thousand years old and yet without the ring on his finger he would have no way to resist me using Dominate on him."

He paused to let her absorb but before she could jump in he moved forward with his next point. "I would like to teach you the technique of the Unswayable Mind. It was developed originally by Salubri the Antediluvian, but was passed to my Grandsire Alexander of Paris, who taught it to my sire, who taught it to me. It will allow you to prevent people from taking control of your mind, or at least make it much harder for them. "
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 05:20:48 PM »
Sam absorbed the information as Jake spoke and it made sense. Commanding the blood in your body was a physical manifestation. Protecting your heart, lungs and kidneys were a few examples. Just like she had done protecting her stomach she moved her blood through a simple breath. All that was physical. However the mind was different and Jake was right. Without being able to protect the mind, the body would surely follow and fail. In a way Lazarus was a vampire with a body but no mind, forever incomplete by her own clans standards.

She did not realise her own family had such history, not speaking as Jake continued. Taking in the information with great pride. Grandsire Alexander of Paris, the name seared into her mind. Jake had only ever mentioned Sophia, his late sire whom Sam wished she could have met. 

"I am guessing you have to perform this on me," no fear in her tone of voice. No decent Sire wanted to hurt his child, but with Fortitude there was no way around it.

Jake had to push her limits and that came with discomfort. Even pain sometimes but that was the territory of the Ventrue Clan, and no matter what happened she would not hold it against Jake. Sam was ready to continue her lesson with her best effort put forth.