Author Topic: Opposite Stars Align  (Read 14870 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Opposite Stars Align
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2019, 10:35:00 AM »
Jake wondered if Sam had really done both Awe and Daunt. He'd be very impressed if she had. However, perhaps aura manipulation was something she excelled at, the same way he'd excelled at Dominate. He folded his hands and rested his chin on them as his child responded, slowly taking in her self assessment. A test was needed.

"I would like you to manipulate your aura to make yourself more physically attractive," he requested. He didn't see women in that way, and unlike some incestuous sires - Kerr -Jake would never see Sam or Scott in a sexual way. He found that boundary was good for everyone and that dual relationships often led to unneeded conflict. However, he would be able to tell if what she was doing worked.

He sat back and waited for her to assert her aura. The lesson would come after he'd evaluated her performance.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2019, 11:07:40 AM »
In a city that was predominantly based on sex, something Sam was not interested in at this point. Making one self more attractive was a hard feat, but Sam had figured a way to do it. It wasn't the conventional means like the swaying of her hips or pouting lips. Sometimes you had to think outside of the box and the appeal of sex wasn't the only way to make yourself more attractive.

Sam raised her eyes to Jake and held his gaze, a confident smile crossed her face. Her left hand nestled in the crook of her right arm, with her right hand resting on her chin. Her fingers curled just above her lower lip, a look so poised you wanted to walk over and get to know Sam. Jake would feel the pull of a deeper connection than just being infatuated with Sam; that deep intimacy through conversation.

"What was my Grandsire Alexander of Paris most famous for? He sounds like a remarkable man." Her eyes never leaving Jake and he would be compelled to entertain Sam's question. Of course Jake could break her hold easily, but he would feel that want to share information; to be intimate with Samantha.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2019, 08:43:16 AM »
How interesting.

She was able to use a form of Awe but not the one he’d requested. What did this mean? It was pleasant and he found the question that she knew Jake would like to answer. She seemed to understand Awe worked better with one’s natural gifts. He nodded approvingly, deciding to answer her question first, and afterwords he’d offer his critiques.

“I was chosen because I reminded my sire of him,” he explained. “He ruled Paris until the twelve hundreds. His chosen type of blood was women who were in love.”

He smiled at that. “Now, a couple of notes. You don’t need eye contact. That would be Dominate. Simply let it radiate from your core. Also, why didn’t you follow instructions?” He didn’t sound mad, just curious.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2019, 09:27:00 AM »
Samantha's eyes grew as big as cabbages when Jake asked why she didn't follow instructions. She really did try, but the art of seduction was all too strange to Samantha. Her gaze more of embarrassment now as she tried to answer Jake, it was just a difficult subject. It made her feel weird inside, her arms once poised across her chest now lay at her sides.

"I... I am rather useless... when it comes to the art of seduction. This was the only way I know how to be more attractive, rather than using sex appeal." Her voice going quiet and she had lost her confidence.

Why did this topic have to be so difficult? Sam wanted to say more but she clammed right up, her gaze going from embarrassment to sheer awkwardness.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2019, 02:14:36 PM »
Jake felt guilty as Sam explained awkwardly that she found herself useless at seduction. It was one of Jake's skills, and he assumed his daughter would share the trait. But then it occurred to him he'd never seen Sam with a partner. She was always the bridesmaid and never the bride. It had nothing to do with looks. She was beautiful. He wished she'd let Lisa-Joe take over in the style department but that alone couldn't be the reason. He wasn't sure if she should draw attention to it or not, as he didn't wish to embarrass her further. On the other hand, she at least deserved to know what he thought.

"I'd say you've struggled with it up to this point," he began, "but know that you are capable of being sexy if you wish. You're very pretty Sam."

He smiled warmly at her and waited for her reply.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2019, 03:21:03 PM »
Sam’s lips went bright red as her right hand reached up and rubbed her neck. Should I tell him? No he will think you are crazy! Who in the hell has heard of a virgin vampire? Actually... just tell him and maybe he can help… fuck it don’t do it. Oh Christ you have to say something now, as she realized she was lost in what seemed to be a panic mode. How long had it been since he had called her pretty? Mustering the courage to answer Jake finally.

“I know I can be pretty,” acknowledging his compliment abruptly. ”I… oh my god!” She rubbed her eyes in frustration; she wanted to just get it out. Lisa-Joe obviously and hopefully did not tell Jake about their girl talk. It was after the incident at opening night, her and Bryant came back to the White Rabbit. Bryant left with some imp guy, if she remembered correctly. Just do it! A voice screamed at her and she sighed at Jake.

“I’ve never had sex,” sounding defeated. “I couldn’t flirt or be sexy to save my own fucking life. I can hold a conversation… I can talk with substance or even be the biggest laugh in the room. But that’s it.” Moving from her spot. Reaching into her coat pocket and grabbing her cigarettes. Good as time as any to have one. Jake opened up a huge can of worms but it got Sam thinking and rambling. Inhaling the smoke she just lit eagerly, the heat was welcomed in her lungs.

“Maybe that is why I am lacking in this skill. I have no clue what it is like to woe someone... I know people mistaken me being nice as flirting. It was always a waste of time to me, why ride the cock carousel when I could read about a new subject. My family died and disbanded, I went to university, and then we met. And on top of it I have so much debt-“

Oh shit… Jake didn’t know about her personal debt. Sam now wished she kept her mouth shut, she knew Jake would be compelled to pay her debt. She was his child but she felt the load of her mortal life should not be a burden to him.   

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2019, 02:10:08 AM »
Jake listened as Sam spoke, his heart breaking to see her so upset by his question. He’d of course meant no offense and the reality both made sense and surprised him. The parts that made sense were that he’d never seen Sam flirt or have any kind of a romantic partner, one night stand or otherwise. He’d always assumed she hid that part of her life. Most Ventrue did. It never occurred to him it wasn’t happening.  The part that didn’t make sense was that Sam was pretty, and deserved a boy… or girl? He didn’t even know what Sam was into and he felt far too awkward to ask her. Also, getting laid wasn’t too hard. People with far less attractive qualities did it all the time, so there was nothing about Sam that was disqualifying in that regard.

This problem needed a woman’s touch, and it dawned on him Lisa would be the perfect person to help Sam. Lisa had style, grace, beauty, but most importantly she had confidence. She’d fix Sam up right away. Besides, it was time for Sam to have a girls night and figured Lisa would be far better at it then he. However, this was still a training session, and he decided they should move on in that direction. Jake lit a cigarette too. Smokers love smokers. The part about the debt was an easy solution. He’d have it paid off before Sam even knew he’d gotten involved. No fledge of his would ever be slave to mortal debt collectors. Besides, should Jake die Sam got almost everything. He’d left Scott a sizable trust. Lisa got the club and District Leadership but the bulk of his fortune - of Alexander of Paris’s fortune - all went to Sam. This payment was simply an advance. 

“Thank you for telling me this,” Jake said, letting kindness fill his voice. “I shall take steps to help you. In the meantime, please reverse your aura to intimidate me.”

He felt getting Sam back on track was the best way to help her. Also, emotions made him uncomfortable so while in his mind he was moving on for Sam’s benefit, in reality it was likely for his benefit too. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2019, 12:39:18 PM »
Sam gave Jake a gentle nod at his kind words; she didn’t mean to ramble on for so long. Sam didn’t press the issue with Jake; there was enough emotion in the room to cause it to explode. Sam had answered the question or rather going off on a tangent. She decided to take Jakes lead on continuing with the lesson they had planned for tonight. Reversing her aura this was something that was a little easier for Sam. Sam was naturally intimidating, her anger ever so gently hidden under her skin. Waiting to erupt at the right moment before your eyes, Sam took Jakes advice and did not look at him this time.

Her anger bubbled to the surface as she worked hard to drive back Jake. An ominous feeling would slowly fill the room; the temptation to avoid Sam was strong. If you were a mortal you would stay clear and think twice about interacting with Sam. She wondered if Jake would feel the same as she used her presence on him. Sam had only ever used presence on mortals; she didn’t have many friends or vampires close to her age to practice on. Well except Ben, but Sam wasn’t going to push her luck.

Sam held her repelling aura for a while before releasing it from her hold, looking at Jake now with a curious smile. She had hoped she had fared much better with reversing her aura than trying to enhance her image.   

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2019, 02:59:36 PM »
Her repel was alright. Her awe affect, while not sexual, had been stronger. He sensed aversion, meekness, not intimidation and forcefulness, and dark beauty. She needed more confidence. If she gained that, Jake imagined both of her aura affects would improve. He decided to do a demonstration.

"Not bad," he complimented. "I would like to preform a technique on you. I must warn you it could be uncomfortable, but it would give you something to shoot for."

It would be worse than a simple Dominate command, but he needed to show her the potential of presence.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2019, 04:15:09 PM »
Sam bobbed her head at Jake, he was right Sam had to have a goal. Sam learned much quicker through visuals than just reading alone, which is why she took longer than most to earn her master’s degree.  Standing at ease and waiting eagerly for this demonstration, unsure of what to except from Jake. Encouraging Jake to do his display Sam gave him a smile, not afraid of the training itself. Everything Jake had done was to show Sam how to improve herself, and not all of it was uncomfortable. The slap earlier was pretty funny, almost letting a giggle escape her lips.   

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2019, 04:36:41 AM »
Jake's eyes became horrible to behold, something so dark and evil that the temperature in the room dropped several degrees. His entire being evoked a primal need to flee. Sam would likely try but as terrible and dark as the eyes were they held her in place, stunned and unable to move. Her worst memories flooded her mind. The park, her sister, her virginity were all thrust before her, and in Jake she saw only a disappointed father, who held his daughter in nothing but contempt. His savage beauty looked almost like son of Lucifer, young, charismatic but evil to the core. He crossed to her, only inches from her now.

"This is the darker side of Presence," he hissed, his voice not sounding like Jake at all. It was demonic and it wanted to destroy her. Jake watched as he evoked this reaction and then he ended it.

"Sam, you're going to be okay. Everything is fine now." He wasn't sure how quick she'd bounce back but the intensity of the effect would start to fade as she once again became herself.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2019, 07:55:36 AM »
Sam tried with her entire being not to look at Jake; his aura overwhelmed her with a slew of emotions. The ones taking hold with a death defying grip was the death of her sister and Jake's disappointment; a bastard child to his pure bloodline. Feelings of self hate and loathing creeped into her body, like an unwanted parasite. Jake crossing the floor only glued her in place, his demonic eyes so close they could burn holes into her skin. If this was the darker side of presence what the hell would dominate be like?

Sam didn't hear Jake speak, she could only see his lips move. Her eyes unfocused and blank, still stunned by the display. Taking more than just a few moments to come back. Even after Jake had let his menacing aura go it was unlike anything Sam had experienced. However she now had a goal in mind; even if it was taxing on her own psyche.

"What... what did you say?" Sam stated with confusion. Her eyes now back into a sharp focus as she looked at Jake.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2019, 11:27:53 AM »
Jake looked at Sam's face and realized he'd pushed her too far. She wasn't ready for these kind of harsh techniques. She'd demonstrated talent for sure, and he now knew what to work on with her, but he regretted showing her the power of his dread gaze. Hopefully he hadn't disoriented her too much. He moved in to help her and slowly held her by the shoulders.

"Sam, we're back now. I think that's enough training for today. Don you think?"

He smiled at her reassuringly and let his own aura become peaceful and calming.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2019, 07:07:17 AM »
His hands gently caressed her shoulders; a feeling of warmth rushed through Samantha. This moment brought a memory of nostalgia back to Sam, when her own father was alive. Sam looked short and tiny compared to Jake. She really did look like a child in Jake's presence, just like her own mortal father. Seeing the regret on his face she decided not push it and just enjoy the moment.

Sam nodded her head, "I agree. But what was that you just did?" Her curiosity returning as Jake used his arua to soothe Sam.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2019, 12:55:14 PM »
Jake began cleaning up his ash and the room. They were done and Sam was doing better so it was time to leave for the night. While she recovered, he grabbed his jacket and put it back on, heading towards the door and opening it. He would wait for Sam to exit with him and then lock up. Jake looked at his name on the door and had a moment of pride. He'd come a long way since the day he'd worked in here, and with his plans for the west on the horizon it had been nice to come back for a day. As they walked through the plethora of hallways and staircases he answered Sam's question.

"It is called Dread Gaze. It projects my inner beast and allows others to see the demon within me. Presence let's us do this."

Sam had done well at Fortitude, and Presence had gone alright. Dominate remained untested thanks to Ben. She was progressing well, and he hoped to keep her close for many more years. Sam would make a fine Ventrue one day, and he was happy that he was being a better sire. She deserved it from him and he'd worked hard to improve.

The pair exited the former chambers and Jake locked up. The Ventrue took a long last look before leading Sam through the city streets and back to the comfort of the White Rabbit.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.