Author Topic: Sleeping His Way To The Top  (Read 6532 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping His Way To The Top
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 05:22:56 PM »
At first Jake was peacefully listening to the story. He even closed his eyes and was smiling softly, that is until Lazarus plucked out more than a few hairs. His eyes shot open and he sat up, turning towards Lazarus with a confused expression. He sighted the ring, and one or two strands of his brown caught between his finger and it's stone. He glared at it, and then met Lazarus's gaze.

"I want to get to know you better and that includes our difficult moments," he explained. His tone was even, but his face looked slightly hurt at how Lazarus had reacted. He'd meant no harm, and had lost hairs for it.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 05:25:41 PM »
"It was years ago," Lazarus said, frowning. He plucked Jake's hairs out of his ring and tossed them over the side of the bed, one at a time. "I don't like remembering the worst moments of my life. Why should I share them, even with you?" Lazarus looked at Jake, his gaze sour. "I'm only good for good times, love," he said.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 05:33:07 PM »
Jake began to wall up, his expression tightening and his eyes narrowing tightly. He moved a little bit back on the bed, creating a bit of distance between them. His change in attitude had been so sudden and Jake had to adjust himself to deal with it. There was the beast he'd met atop the throne, sitting on his pile of gold. Jake held back more than one cross insult, but didn't want to blow this out of proportion and figured he'd have to be the bigger person because Lazarus was incapable of it.

"You don't have to tell me anything you don't want to," he said calmly, and dismissively. "I'm sorry for trying to connect with you. I'll keep it more surface in the future."
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 05:38:10 PM »
The look Jake gave him was awful. It cut Lazarus to the core and he had to get away from it. He crawled off the bed and found his clothes, picking up his jeans as Jake told him his place - even agreeing that Lazarus wasn't good for anything other than sex. And wasn't that the worst of all? Shallow Lazarus, good for a laugh and a fuck. He played the part so well that even he believed it most of the time.

"You can connect with me without choosing a memory that humiliates me," Lazarus complained, shoving his legs into his jeans angrily.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 05:42:46 PM »
"Don't go," Jake asked, tone sounding like he meant it. "Hey come on. Why does it bother you so much? Your Lazarus the Dragon Slayer, two thousand year old vampire legend who's ruled the city twice. And now you work for the most powerful district in a role that's perfect for you. We can't win them all. I haven't!"

Jake knew he sounded frantic, but Lazarus had done most of the talking. Jake had failings sure, but his successes would be incomplete without mistakes. Mistakes had helped him learn to be better. He stayed in bed, but laid down so Lazarus could see his face dangling off the bed. "Please stay?"
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 05:49:57 PM »
Lazarus managed to get both legs into his jeans and pull the zipper up before Jake's plea for him to stay finally got through to him. But now he was half-dressed and caught in indecision. Wouldn't it be pathetic now, to go crawling into Jake's bed again after some pretty tribute? He didn't want to go but he didn't want to lose face, either. Why did it bother him so much that Jake thought so little of him?

Because I thought you were a friend, he thought at Jake. There was no way the other would get that mental message. Lazarus was backwards with his mental sending and the ring would block it perfectly anyway. But what had Jake said to him anyway? That he'd been trying to connect with him. That he would keep it more surface in the future. Which meant it wasn't surface now.

Lazarus didn't storm off but he didn't return immediately either. He stood beside Jake's bed, uncertain and indecisive. "There aren't a lot of Ancients in the world," he told Jake softly (though there was a high concentration of them here in this city). "They lose their minds and kill themselves. Bored or whatever. I only focus on the good stuff. It keeps me... alive."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 05:54:57 PM »
Jake rose off the bed and came up behind Lazarus wrapping his arms around him as he spoke. He laid his head on the blondes back and listened, rubbing his body as he spoke. He thought of his sire. She would've been just two hundred years younger than Lazarus and she was completely insane. It saddened him, and he suddenly felt for Lazarus for the first time.

"That sounds really hard," he said. "I get it though. I've let myself forget a lot of crap I shouldn't have. It helps me get through the day. Does that relate?"

He kissed his back and then laid his head back down.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 09:48:48 PM »
Lazarus didn't ordinarily do vulnerable. He'd taken a risk and it had paid off. He was relieved when Jake took him seriously and wrapped comforting arms around him. Very few people who'd got to know Lazarus ever took him seriously. He blamed them on the surface while deep within he knew he was the cause - he'd been superficial, and a whole lot extra.

He'd been hunting for a companion for over a decade now. Someone who he could storm the city with. Someone who would be by his side with the same values and desires. Jake could be that man, but Lazarus still didn't know enough about him. He'd heard Jake liked a good war, and he'd taken out some serious contenders in the past. That had been one of the reasons Lazarus had wanted to work with him; that and the fact that if Jake overstepped his abilities and took on someone too powerful, Lazarus would take the throne.

But now... now he didn't want that. He wanted to explore this.

"Yes," Lazarus said. "I've heard the north is full of wolves. People hear howling at night sometimes. Crime is on the rise. None of the supes bold enough to break the rules have been punished." He started turning, so he could look at Jake's face. He wanted to know if his lover had any looming plans. "There's also the West, unchallenged as yet." He held Jake's face in his hands, gently. "Are you hoping to smash and grab, love? Because I'm seeing a lot of prizes."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 10:56:22 AM »
Jake's face, framed by Lazarus's hands broke into a curious smile. He looked like a kid caught stealing from the cookie car, mischievous, caught, but unapologetic. He moved his body so that there torsos were touching, and he ran his own hands along Lazarus's flanks. He was stiffening again, and he knew Lazarus would know it. He looked him in the eye as he responded, nodding as he did.

"I think the west should be the first prize we take," he said, admitting he had plans to take other districts. "Word that I've hired you is soon to spread. I want the north but taking both districts is liable to make people think we're making a power grab together. We need to space out our acquisitions as to not arise too much suspicion.  After we take the north and west," and here was the juicy part, "then we remove the bitch angel from the northwest."

He studied Lazarus's reaction to his plan. He needed his support, and more importantly, he wanted his support. "Will you help me do that Lazarus?" His eyes were big and called to the other.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 07:35:48 PM »
"Agreed, West first." Lazarus moved his hands past Jake's face to rest his wrists upon the younger vampire's shoulders. "Then the North, because it's gone wild, and nobody will dispute that." His gaze turned thoughtful. "And if Ben is awarded get the South, as a Sacramentum figurehead, I'll take advantage of my past knowledge of him. I'll use his weaknesses against him."

He thought of Kerr, who couldn't mind-blast him now, and he thought of Ichabod, who he knew was Ben's nemesis. The pair had a blood connection, so it would be good to have Ichabod on their side. He had to mend some bridges with that one.

"But for now, I'll just use your weaknesses against you," Lazarus drawled, moving to nuzzle along Jake's neck and ear.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 10:23:54 AM »
Ben leading the south was a preposterous idea that Jake would not allow to to come to fruition. He sulked a little at the thought of it, melting his body into Lazarus. He listened to the other man speak, and mostly agreed with his logic, although noticed he didn't mention helping removed Ms. Zoheret. He would bring it up another time, and as long as Jake came out with another district under his belt soon he didn't really care which. Expansion was important, not especially where.

"Keep Ben out of our hair," Jake instructed politely. "Out of our district if possible. Governments tend to collapse in his presence and I refuse to join that particular score card."

As he played with Jake and nuzzled him, the younger vampire laughed, and nuzzled back. "Don't threaten me with a good time," he cooed, very much hoping Lazarus wouldn't listen. He grew serious as he thought about their dynamic. "I am strong though. You know this right?"

He seemed mostly resolute but their was doubt as he asked. It matterd that Lazarus thought him strong. Most people he'd crush into knowing it. Lazarus he wanted to believe it.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 11:05:26 AM »
"Love," Lazarus whispered in Jake's ear. "I would never align myself with someone weak."

Jake had given him something to think about, though. Governments tend to collapse in his presence, was a very high compliment from Jake about a young vampire he thought little about. Of course Ben couldn't have brought down Halen, he hadn't the impetus or courage to act on his idea - but he'd given Lazarus the means to do it. And then the Mimics. Gone, because of him.

Lazarus pulled back to look at Jake. "He's just like us, Ben is. You and I didn't gel at the start, either. He's better in your pocket or in your bed. Even Charon has dabbled with him - perhaps he senses it, too." Lazarus led Jake back to the bed, walking backwards and pulling him with him until the backs of Lazarus' knees hit the mattress. "I'll find out his weaknesses, in case Ben turns on us later."

In case he turns on me, again.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 02:34:22 PM »
Jake smiled and was appreciate of Lazarus's comment, and he knew Lazarus was not sensitive enough to lie about such things. It made sense too, but Jake was glad he'd asked him about it. It was always good to know where one stood on issues of power and control. Jake listened to Lazarus explain that Ben was like them and at first scoffed at the idea. He was nothing like Ben. Ben was arrogant, meddlesome, power hungry, driven and... Then it clicked. Lazarus was right. He was like Ben and Lazarus, and Jake began to understand his dislike for Ben better. They were similar! He saw his worst traits in Ben's smug face, and wondered if Ben saw the same in him.

"Keep him occupied and learn all you can," Jake amended. "If you think I need to get involved let me know. It's high time Ben and I had a chat I think."

He turned his head and moved to kiss Lazarus softly, before guiding him down into a laying position. He pulled out a fresh cigarette and lit one. "Do you want this one," he offered, holding it out for the blonde.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 04:52:28 PM »
Dropping Ben in the shit delighted him. Even though he and the youth had played around since 'The Dumpster Move', he still hadn't paid him back for that. Hopefully some of Jake's ire would spill onto Kerr (but he doubted it, having heard how Jake's words about Kerr).

Thoughts of Ben disappeared during the kiss and they ended up laying back. Lazarus took the cigarette with a grin. "You know me so well."

[ooc: this feels like an ending?]