Author Topic: Operation Cheer Up  (Read 12679 times)

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Cheer Up
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 03:24:13 AM »
I just really like you.

Zeph felt something at the words. Something good, but it was hard to sort out through the jumble of emotions that were struggling to assert themselves. His expression softened even further as he stood there, looking down at the seated Drew. The statement rang true, and it was supported by Drew's demeanor. Fearful ideas had been circling at the fringes of Zeph's mind since he'd learned what Drew was - ideas like he just wants to bite me or he's going to make me go back to Charon. The simple admission dispelled them. There was no alternate agenda, no sinister plan.

His guard wasn't completely down, but it was certainly lowered. He padded forward on bare feet and reached out, his touch gentle as he tried to gently pull Drew's hands away from his face and force him to look up at Zeph.

"I'm... not exactly human either. I'm a nymph. Um, kind of like, an air spirit, but like, mostly human, I guess." It was only now that he knew what Drew was that he realized, loosely holding his hands, how cool the vampire's skin was. His lips pulled into a brittle smile, and he tugged a little - an attempt to get Drew on his feet. "So I guess, I don't know. It's kind of cool that we're both, you know, different. Scary, but cool."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 12:37:21 PM »
When he touched me, I couldn't help but give into it, raising my head and looking at his beautiful eyes. I rose too at his body's suggestion. Maybe it was the dancer quality but Zeph said a lot with his body, and I found myself responding to the cues, and wanting to get even more in sync with him. My face was mostly happy shock and as he explained what I already knew I made a big error.

"Oh I already knew you were a nymph."

Fuck! I could drop the bomb or pad the landing. Do I tell him I'm a PI hired by his dad and I've been following him for weeks and know all his routes, patterns and a lot of his behaviors, or just tell him I know he's a nymph because I'm a vampire and we can smell that shit? I decided to cover the gaff and work up to the big reveal.

"My kind have ways of smelling that. It's kind of weird. Sorry. Can we... go back to your bed?"

It was a bold proposal, but one I thought Zeph would be favorable to.

"And, yeah. I like that you can know and I can know and it's cool, ya know?"

Why am I such an idiot?
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 12:41:21 PM »
Zeph looked hesitant for a few seconds once Drew was on his feet, then finished what he'd started and stepped in. He fit his body up against Drew's perfectly, wrapping his arms around the man's waist and turning his head to rest it against his chest. He wanted to be held. He wanted things to be okay. He wanted-

I already knew you were a nymph. The words jarred him a bit, and he pulled back his head to peer up at Drew. The explanation made perfect sense, of course, and Drew nodded readily. The vampires at Venture seemed to have been able to smell him too. Drew knowing what Zeph was... well, that made his own admission make a little more sense.

"Oh, umm, sure..." He took one of Drew's hands in one of his and led him back to the bed and the tangled nest atop it. "Let me just, umm." He disengaged and did some quick work to sort out the lump of sheets and comforter, then spotted the Cadbury eggs and moved them to the night stand. It was still a mess, but it was less of a mess, and he crawled in and scuttled across to the other side of the mattress to make room for Drew. Of course, the instant the vampire joined him, Zeph would be nestled up against him, wriggling into his arms.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 03:38:24 AM »
Close call, but he seemed to buy it enough to take me back to his bed. I knew I’d have to proceed slow with the other stuff, and hoped Zeph’s dad wasn’t currently on a plane on his way here. That might get awkward, I allowed myself to be led and took my position on the bed, finding a squiggling Zeph in my arms. So… was this a date now? I guess I was still there to cheer Zeph up, but we knew about each other’s natures and were still in the same room. Well, more accurately Zeph finally knew about me. I guess I was wrong to think he wouldn’t accept me, and I would kiss him if he’d let me. I wanted to make it a deep kiss, one that promised of more to come. My beanie came off, revealing my unruly bed head.

“So can I take you on a real date soon? Not that rescuing you or rushing over to cheer you up isn’t a good time, but you know, maybe… want to see a movie?”

It was a corny request, but it honestly felt like the next step. I had asked a boy out on a date and I thought of Wesley. I think he’d be happy this finally happened. He was happy I was moving on. No, not on, forward. He’d be happy I was moving forward. I don’t think I could ever move on, even for Zeph. I held him and pet him and waited for him to respond.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 08:45:17 AM »
Zeph's response was uncertain at first, but he gave way to Drew as the older man deepened the kiss he'd initiated. Honestly, Zeph probably could have used a couple minutes with a toothbrush at the moment, but that aside, his mouth was soft and warm and yielding.

I am kissing a vampire. The thought surfaced, and Zeph turned it over a few times in his mind. It felt different than his time at Venture. Being in Drew's arms made him feel safe. He realized that he was a little on edge though, sensitive to every movement Drew made in a way that went beyond his usual physical awareness. That fleeting anxiety didn't really take anything away from the experience, though. If anything, it heightened it. There was something thrilling about the risk.

He looked up at Drew after the kiss, and a boyish grin slowly emerged. "Oh, um, yeah. That would be cool." His cheeks colored slightly. "I'd like that. It would be good to, you know, get out." Drew's gentle touches and solid embrace got the best of him. He closed his eyes and leaned into the other man, letting out a quiet sigh of contentment. "That feels good," he murmured.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 04:32:27 AM »
As I held him, I knew a movie theater that wasn't too far. I had an idea that maybe Zeph just needed someone to take him out of the house. I figured once he saw the world was as it had been before all this happened, it might teach him that he was safe. Also, now he had me. I would keep him safe. I still didn't know what happened to him though, and while I didn't want to make things ugly again, I needed to know exactly how angry I should be at this Ben character. Charon was off limits to retaliate but depending on what Ben did, I could always smash his fucking face in. 

"So, can I ask you about what happened at Venture? You don't have to tell me, but maybe I can help."

I cuddled him even tighter to let him know he was safe in my arms, and whatever he would be remembering wasn't what was happening in this room. Now, it was just me and him on his bed, in his messy ass apartment. If he'd been in a good mood it would've been perfect.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 02:10:21 PM »
Drew would feel the change in Zeph's body language - a slight stiffening over every muscle at the mention of Venture. He was quiet for a few long seconds, but then relaxed slightly. His hands found Drew's and he brushed his thumbs across the man's knuckles. He drew a deep breath and then began.

"Well, so, my friend Rodrigo brought me, but he didn't tell me what was up, but they let me in cuz I'm a nymph and Rodrigo said I was cool, but then as soon as we got in someone came and said they needed to talk to him so he left and this cute guy was looking at me and that was Ben, and he asked if I wanted to go in the back or whatever and I just thought it was, you know, to fool around, but I guess actually he wanted my blood." He sucked in some more air and continued his meandering delivery. "But like, when he realized I didn't know what was up he told me and then took me to Charon, and Charon was all talking in my head and stuff and then had Ben take me upstairs while he, like, deliberated or whatever. Ben and I talked for a little but then Charon came up and Ben left and Charon talked to me too, then told me to come back next week."

His pace slowed here and there throughout as he tried to sort out the details of what had happened and keep things in sequence. He reflected for a few seconds afterward, then nodded. "Yeah that's basically what happened but... it was really scary. Ben was looking out for me but still scary, and Charon was really scary. Just... a lot, you know? It was like he pushed all the air out of the room or something."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 03:24:43 AM »
I felt him tense, but just held him tighter. No harm would come to him in my arms. Rodrigo was added to the list of people I'd be "speaking" with about this incident. How do you bring your friend into a god damn vampire bar and leave him alone?! I tensed up and might've squeezed Zeph a little too tight, before relaxing again. As to what happened, I hated Ben for bringing Zeph to Charon. I mean the guy could've just taken whatever he wanted from Zeph and he would've had no way to defend himself. Then there was actual Charon. An ancient taking advantage of an innocent was as old as well... ancients, and I wanted to bash his ugly bat mask of a face in for making Zeph scared.

"Well, we won't go back, or... if we do I'll protect you."

I was being honest but not in the way Zeph probably thought. This Ben character sounded like someone I could bash up, Rodrigo too. But to protect Zeph from Charon, more drastic steps would have to be taken. I'd need to make him my pet. I hate that word but that's what the yahoos in power call ghouls in this city. It did give me exclusive feeding rights to Zeph though, and even if I wasn't allowed to feed, at least others wouldn't either.

"So it's still early. I think their are some late movies playing near here. Ever been to a Rocky Horror night?"

I happened to pass the signs on the way over. I hate that kind of crap but it looked like an activity Zeph would like, and I would be happy the moment he was a smiling boy again. I wanted to feed from him, to give us both the pleasure of it. Charon had taken that away from me, at least temporarily.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 08:09:19 AM »
Zeph could feel Drew squeezing him tighter, but he wanted it too much to care if it got a little uncomfortable. He relaxed into Drew’s solid form, and a smile twitched to life on his lips when Drew vowed to protect him. He took the declaration at face value, unaware of how complicated that promise could become.

“Umm, duh.” He twisted around to peer at Drew. “I was Rocky one time, cuz my friend Tom had this skin thing and they needed someone last minute. It was, you know, pretty fun. But yeah I’ve been loads of times. I started going out in Colorado.”

His brow knit a bit as he realized how little he knew about Drew – particularly considering what he’d learned so far. “So this is maybe a rude question, but um, how old are you? Like, for real, I mean. You can’t be like… thaaaaat old if you know about Rocky.” He wriggled a little more, escaping Drew’s arms just enough to stay within them while he shifted onto his side to face him.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2019, 02:05:31 AM »
I figured he'd ask me how old I was. I mean, it was what I had asked my sire when the bitch made me. She'd been like a hundred or so. I wondered as he asked if he thought I would be super old, when I told him. On the other hand, he might've thought I was Lestat and had this epic century long story to tell. What's that Ann Rice book called, "Conversations with a Toreador?" It didn't matter. When he wiggled to face me, I kissed him like an instinct. It interrupted his speech a tad, but hey, he got there and I got a kiss out it!

"It's not rude," I confirmed, massaging one of his hands as I talked. "I'm fifty four years old, twenty nine of them as a vampire. So if you were hoping for Dracula, wrong due. I'm just Drew."

Zeph seemed to like Drew though, and so I was happy to say who I was for once. "And I bet you looked really good in the gold shorts."

I was getting horny and hungry, and wondered if Zeph would ever let me feed on him. Maybe next time I came over. We had a movie to catch. As painful as it was, I broke the embrace. I knew that to help Zeph feel better, I had to get him out of the house.

"Get dressed Lasagna. We're going out on a date, my treat."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 05:23:59 AM »
The kiss took him by surprise, but it was a pleasant surprise. It did indeed interrupt him, and it took a few seconds for him to find his train of thought before continuing.

After Drew explained his age, Zeph was obviously doing the math, judging by his distant, confused expression. It resolved itself quickly, though. "Oh so you were like 25? And you get to be 25 forever?" He looked over Drew as if appraising him, and grinned slightly. "And I thought I looked young for my age."

He almost instinctively clung to Drew when the man broke away, but he managed to check the impulse. He pondered for a few seconds, then ducked his head down to give his own armpit a quick sniff. Coming up with a wrinkled nose, he slid off the side of the bed nearest the bathroom. "Let me just, um, shower real quick." He definitely had a bit of a shut-in funk to him. He began digging around in a pile of clothes skillfully concealed on the floor to the side of the bed and produced a clean-ish towel.

With that he scampered into the bathroom. "I'll just be like... five minutes," he called before closing the door. Drew would hear the shower running a few seconds later, and then, Zeph's voice performing a reedy a capella version of the themesong to Steven Universe- he only sort of seemed to know the words.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 04:50:13 AM »
I thought I looked old for my mortal age, most people clocking me at like thirty. So when, Zeph said I looked young for my age it took me a second to understand the meaning. I laughed though, thinking it was a silly comparison from a silly boy. That's why I liked him though. I need some silly in my life.

"Yeah, well on the other hand, never get those senior discounts or that AARP card," I joked. In truth I'm happy I was taken when I was. Vampires could be taken at any time of life, but youth never goes out of style and when trying to feed, youth sells. When he went to shower I had to fight the urge to walk right on in and get naked with him. The chemistry was there, but he'd just been so spooked by other vampires. I didn't want him to see me as just another creep. His singing was cute, although I had no idea what he was going on about. It's not even that he didn't know the words, I just didn't get the melody. I liked listening to him sing though. He had a nice voice though, and honestly, I was at the stage where Zeph could've taken a shit and I would've liked it, because he was the one doing it.

I waited, but looked around the room. As a PI I don't meant to snoop - okay I mean to - but I just can't help that's how my eyes see the world. I would search the room with my eyes, stopping to look at anything that stood out, especially if it had to do with me. I would have one ear on the shower and Zeph, just in case he showered quicker than I was thinking.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 11:41:50 AM »
"... and if you think we can't/ we'll always find the way./ That's why the people of this Earth believe in..."

The shower and song both cut out abruptly, maybe six of seven minutes after he'd started. He'd just been sort of meandering through parts of several songs from the Steven Universe canon.

Drew probably wouldn't find too much of interest in his appraisal. The place was a mess. There were a few empty Ben and Jerry's pints clustered on one nightstand, along with some scattered spoons. The aforementioned clothes were piled in a lump on the side of the bed. The television had long since gone into sleep mode. Most of the drawers were closed, so unless he went digging, all he'd find was the surface clutter and debris serving as evidence of Zeph's few days as a shut-in.

The bathroom sink ran, and then stopped. Zeph emerged a few seconds later with a large, fluffy blue towel cinched around his waste. His pale, hairless torso was mostly dry, but his ash-blond hair was still damp, nearly the color of wet newsprint. He was brushing his teeth, but smiled to Drew throughout the process. Frothy toothpaste had built up at the edges and corners of his mouth. "Ahmosht reany." The words were a bit garbled by his full mouth, and he rounded and returned to the bathroom, presumably to spit and rinse.

He returned and began rifling through drawers. He picked some bright green socks, torn black jeans, and a vivid green t-shirt that was well-worn. He pondered his underwear choices for a little longer, then grabbed a pair of white boxer briefs patterned with pretzels. Slinging the clothes onto his bed, he grinned slightly to Drew as he hustled his underwear up his legs, still mostly covered by the towel (though Drew would probably catch a few glimpses during the process). He dispensed with the towel after that and put on socks, then pants, then shirt. The t-shirt bore the phrase today isn't over in script, and he accented the ensemble with a pair of black suspenders. He was quiet and a little shy while dressing in front of Drew, and regarded him almost impishly when he was finished.

"Ready our first date?" His voice was tinged with the same trepidation that had marked his body language since he'd come back into the bedroom.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 02:42:22 AM »
His singing was so cute, and I had to fight a naughty urge to poke into the bathroom and take a look at his wet, naked body. My pants stirred at the thought, but I quickly moved my junk so that Zeph wouldn't immediately see my semi. It's not that I was embarrassed at being horny, but I really did want to go on our date. As I searched his room I found little of interest. I felt a little guilty at being a snoop but I stopped apologizing for who I was a long time ago.

The shower time was pretty standard. I had searched whole apartments for clues in that time, so I was sitting patiently on Zeph's bed when he emerged from the bathroom, an anxious anticipation in my body and mind. I also didn't mind seeing him in that towel, a pain now in pants as I fought back my erection. He even looked cute brushing his teeth. How annoying and adorable. As he got dressed, I awkwardly played with my beanie, turning it over and over again in my hands. The final outfit was classic Zeph, although his wardrobe was more extensive than mine. He looked good as always, and the impish look made me want to kiss him.

"Yes sir. Take my arm," I said, leading him towards the door for a night on the town. Operation Cheer Up complete.  On to the next thing, which for us was date night. I had a date. I wonder what Wesley would think about it.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.