Author Topic: A Grand Entrance  (Read 47346 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: A Grand Entrance
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2019, 06:01:21 PM »
Jake had a small wave of unidentified feelings hit him when Murphy complimented his family. "I'm not worthy of them. They make me want to be a better man."

Then his mind buzzed with Murphy's thought. He was instantly excited and began walking towards the reporter. His face would look mischievous now, playful, and most importantly, hungry. He sent Murphy a response.

Then I wont just look.

He signaled to Luke to turn around for a moment, verbalizing it if Luke didn't pick up on his hand gestures. Once they were "alone" Jake would walk right up to Murphy, the heat of his body feeling nice.

You ready?
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2019, 07:34:03 PM »
BEN

Ben gave Jake's party a wide berth, not wanting to be called over by Sam, or make eye-contact with Ari, who'd recognise him but probably wouldn't know what he was up to. He managed to move past them all and soon he was walking quickly through the garden, to catch up to where Jake and Murphy had disappeared to. He rounded a few hedges and moved past a peacock shaped topiary and found himself a short distance away from Luke.

Ben stopped and took two steps back, just behind the topiary again. He followed Luke's gaze and saw Jake and Murphy talking to one another, standing still. Murphy was smiling so the conversation was obviously not a threatening one. Relief. But then he was taking off his tie and pocketing it. Ben's heart sunk into his belly and he made tight fists with his hands, his nails digging crescent moons into his palms.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2019, 10:26:37 PM »
Definitely, Murphy responded, but he moved as well in case Jake didn’t pick up on the thought. He liked hearing Jake’s voice in his mind. It was soothing, warm and comfortable. He didn’t see any of the side Ben had taken a dislike to.

Murphy stepped closer, his heart pounding with nerves, or excitement, he wasn’t sure which. He’d been drunk from plenty of times and it always gave him that rush. His cheeks felt flushed, and he was looking forward to the feel of Jake’s cool lips on his skin.

As his body pressed against Jake’s, Murphy tilted his head, lifting a hand to move his collar a little wider apart before resting his fingers on Jake’s firm shoulder.

When the bite came Murphy took a sharp intake of breath before his body relaxed into Jake’s hold, his fingers tightening on the cloth of the vampire’s jacket. His eyes slid shut, savouring that bliss.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2019, 12:19:00 AM »
He strolled towards Ari and his group, grabbing a champagne flute along the way so that he might fortify himself whilst being surrounded once more by these most un-natural of creatures. Vampires felt like abandoned tombs and dusty crypts and as a species he looked upon their existence as an insult to well…everything, but especially compared to his own angelic race, it wasn't that he hated them it was more to do with the fact that as a supernatural species they should have been at the bottom of the totem pole, maybe one step above zombies but the fact that these undead monstrosities were considered the superior beings of the supernatural world was downright ludicrous and beyond insulting, but he also had to admit that they were the most prevalent and prolific supernatural species in the city if not the world and he needed to make more contacts, as a race they were less then pond scum compared to his majestic and divine species, but as individuals...well...everyone had their uses.

He smiled warmly as he approached the group and almost stopped when he spotted Sam, one of the few vampires he had spent some time with and although he thought the fact that she was a vampire a travesity, she had spunk and spirit and she had her uses too. She had sent him a cryptic text message the night before he knew she would be here, but he hadn’t expected to see her look so...modern chic. She looked good he thought to himself but as he got closer, he did what her text message requested of him and so pretended he had never met her before. As he came up beside Ari, he looked at her and Damien and gave them a friendly smile, his eyes filled with mild curiosity and nothing more as he gave them a small nod of greeting. He hated small talk but he hoped this group would be worth the aggravation of the insipidness of the whole thing.

“A good evening to you all, forgive me for my intrusion but I saw you all over here and thought I might join you.” He smiled again and raised his glass to the collective group before smiling in turn to Ari.

“Ari was it not?” he asked pleasantly “We weren’t introduced when I met you earlier. I’m Saraekiel. And may I ask what ever happened to that intriguing animal you had accompanying you? A wolf was it not?”

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2019, 04:22:55 AM »
Luke rolled his eyes when he managed to put together the body language the pair were exhibiting and Jake’s silent command for him to turn around. They were definitely going to be having a discussion about the parameters of his inclusion in future retinues, particularly as it pertained to standing lookout while Jake bit some guy he’d just met.

That was just about when he heard footsteps coming from behind one of the many ornate bushes the Sacramenti had on display. He turned, more to investigate than to afford the vampire and his prey their privacy. His keen eyes quickly picked out the figure of Ben, and then the fact that he looked less than thrilled about what he was witnessing behind Luke. Ben was at the top of the list of people who didn’t like Jake, but if he wanted to make a move, he’d had plenty of opportunities since his house arrest and hadn’t taken them.

Luke shrugged slightly as he regarded the young vampire, folding his arms across his harnessed chest. He was the one who had introduced Murphy to Jake in the first place. Luke was pretty sure that his job description didn’t include rescuing Jake from his own vampiric drama, so he had no plans of interfering with whatever, if anything, was about to unfold. Sure, he’d monitor the situation in case things got violent, but he was there to protect Jake’s person, not his ego.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2019, 07:16:46 AM »
Ben was horrified. He pre-emptively double-checked and fortified the lock on his thoughts, keeping them as iron tight as possible, before he could reel from watching the two of them like this. He knew his thoughts would flare in his anger.

He's mine, he's mine, he's MY
friend / companion / comrade / all the words
shouldn't have left him with you
you can't have him
I drink from him / not you / get your hands off him
we were talking about siring

But that conversation was old and hadn't been rehashed yet. Still, Murphy and he had kept in touch and the journalist was always somewhere in Ben's thoughts.

He wondered if Murphy had removed the tie because he remembered the scarf incident when he and Ben had first met. He felt betrayed, that his friend would be interested enough in Jake to let him drink from him.

It's none of your business
Who he's interested in

Ben looked over at Luke, who was watching him with an expression that could only be described as generally unimpressed. They'd had very little to do with each other but he knew enough about Luke's presence to know he was currently acting as Jake's muscle.

Instead of making a scene, Ben slunk away, moving back across the grass and to the party. He considered sending Murphy a text right at this moment, but all that was going to do was strain their friendship.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2019, 08:45:12 AM »
When Murphy showed his eagerness it was all Jake needed to take the plunge. He wrapped his arms around the human’s back, pulling him close, before he went in. The piercing of skin gave way to blood, and Jake found Murphy’s neck head and shoulders above the plebeians that were normally donors. The taste was exquisite, and he wondered how Murphy was not already some lucky vampire’s live in pet. It could be Murphy only tasted this good to Jake, which made him wonder what that meant for them. 

He sucked ropes of the journalist’s blood, his own skin turning pink as he ingested. Unlike some vampires he didn’t transfer the pleasure to the erroneous zones. He spread the feeling throughout Murphy’s whole body, wanting him to be as pleased with the bite as Jake was. Murphy’s weight was no problem for the vampire to hold as he took his fill. In fact, as pleasurable as the bite was he almost preferred their embrace.

After taking a little less than the standard amount for a feeding he retracted his fangs, and licked the wound closed, as was his custom. Piercings healed to be just pink skin, and he would hold Murphy until he’d regained his sense. He’d then let him go and back away, unless Murphy tried to hold onto the embrace. Jake wouldn’t pull away then.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2019, 11:04:05 AM »
Ben stopped in the middle of the lawn, surrounded by trimmed hedges and listening to tinkling laughter and the soft strains of a quartet playing nearby. Where had they come from? Even though he'd specifically told himself not to, he pulled out his phone and stared at it. Even though he'd reasoned that this might damage the trust of his friendship with Murphy, he unlocked his phone and thumbed his contacts list. Even though it might piss off Jake, he stopped at Murphy's name and pressed 'message'.

He's mine, he thought to himself. If I'd known you were going to...

Since Murphy was being drunk from, Ben would have to make the phone enter his consciousness. The best way to do that was not with one message, but with many, so that Murphy's phone would ding or chirp incessantly.

Where did you go?
Send.
What are you doing?
As if he didn't know. Send.
Jake's gone too.
Send.
Is he with you?
Send.
Don't let yourself get fooled by him.
Send.
He's unstable.
Send.
Are you okay? Why aren't you texting me back?
Send.
Should I look for you?
Send.
I'm going to look for you.
Send.

Now he just had to count to fifty and go back.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2019, 12:40:51 PM »
Zoheret made a small dismissing gesture as Charon bid her adieu for the night. As the ancient vampire left, she released her guard, exhaling in the effort. Dealing with this many undead was exhausting, the excitement of the evening almost too much. Standing alone, Zoheret looked out upon the party where groups of immortals gathered together like rats.

She couldn't care less who they put in charge of this stinking city. Sooner or later it would burn itself to the ground anyway, and then Zoheret would either raise it from the ashes or abandon it altogether - immortal life was too important to maintain a predictable habit. Of course, it would be better to stay, though the recent land grabs and sneaking that was being done in this city had her feeling quite distrustful of all of the other District Leaders. She had established her power here, her base on the Earthly plane now, her eyes on the city. She still had the old tattoo that marked her as an Oligarch of her people.

Stepping carefully, so as not to step on the delicate fabric, Zoheret glided down the rest of the stairs, heading for the refreshment table now. She requested a glass of sparkling pink wine, a blush Moscato, and sipped graciously, watching the monsters play for the time being.

--

"Somehow, Saint Sabrina, I have forgiven you already," Pierre said with a smirk, his reservations instantly wavering as she addressed him kindly. Unlike many of the District Leaders here, she didn't seem to Pierre like a politician. Refreshing, of course, but how long would all of that last before she was dragged into some political plot and double cross? Pierre rocked on his heels.

"Let's see... I've been here for just shy of... twenty years?" Pierre looked at his fledgling as if she had the answer - even though she did not. "I think that's right. I've only been on this continent for about sixty or so years, but much of that time I spent in Louisiana and Montreal.

"So not as long as many, but no short feat, either," Pierre finished. He should have known that a creature like the one standing before him existed in the city. Pierre had always been charged with knowing things and finding use for the information he had found, but this odd woman

--

"How very interesting, indeed, Ms. Reede," Damien replied politely with mild interest in what a young one could possibly teach other young ones. "And what area of expertise do you specialize in?" Genuine curiosity. She smelled of McCloud enough to make Damien watch his wording carefully - not that he wasn't already doing so. Truthfully, he had heard only bits and pieces about this Academy named for Kerr Galvin, known as it was to teach supernaturals supernatural behavior. It was something that Damien couldn't quite get his head around. Undead mannerisms, survival techniques, and treatment of humankind were all supposed to come from the Sire. After all the Sire was like a parent - responsible for bringing in a new life - or unlife - into existence and therefore like a parent, be responsible for raising said fledge properly. Certainly, he knew that there were fledges out there who had no Sire, no roots to vampire culture, but could it really be enough to fill an academy? Damien doubted the idea of it.

The angel came over just as he was waiting for the youngest vampire to respond. Damien couldn't place who or what he was - his face neither familiar or recognizable to him - and Damien's lack of experience with such creatures made him vaguely uncomfortable standing next to the new man. Obeying decorum, however, Damien extended his hand to the Dark Angel and shook his hand if it were appropriate.

"Ms. Reede here," he gestured to the young fledge, "was just telling us what subjects she was keen on teaching at the Academy for Supernatural."

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2019, 05:24:36 PM »
Murphy felt the tingling pleasure of the bite from his head to his toes and he gave a quiet groan of enjoyment as Jake held him close. Dazed, his fingers drifted upwards from Jake’s shoulder to brush through his chestnut coloured hair.

“Mmm.” The sound came from deep in his throat as Jake closed up the bite in his neck and as he felt Jake begin to pull away Murphy tightened his grip on the back of Jake’s head to keep him close, savouring this moment of bliss.

“That was…”
ding

Murphy blinked in surprise at the sudden sound of his phone breaking his thoughts. ding It was on the lowest setting, but in the quiet of their privacy ding it was intrusive.

ding

“Sorry,” Murphy mumbled with a frown as he drew back slightly. He hadn’t had this many texts in a row since his dad had been alive and that ding thought made his heart rate pick up again from the peace he’d reached with Jake. The memories were jarring, of those harassing texts and calls, his dad panicking over the slightest thing, then the guilty relief at that last call when he'd finally died.

ding Hell, he hadn’t had this many texts in the past week. ding

Murphy pulled out his phone and glanced down at it, hoping he could just dismiss it, but then he saw it was Ben. ding There were so many notifications that Murphy only read the last few before starting to respond (otherwise they’d just ding keep coming).

I’m fine, I’m safe. Thanks x
Send

He’d read the rest of the texts later. Murphy flicked the phone to silent and slipped it back into an inside pocket of his jacket, before focusing on Jake again with an apologetic smile, pressing a hand gently against the vampire’s firm chest.

“It was just Ben, think he got worried when he didn’t spot me,” he explained, no hint of a lie of omission in his thoughts since he’d not read the texts expressing Ben’s concerns about Jake. “He shouldn’t leave me alone with gorgeous vampires then, should he?” he added with a teasing grin.

“Maybe we could do this again sometime?” he suggested, suddenly feeling nervous in case Jake turned him down. But if it was just a one-time thing, so be it.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2019, 05:49:04 PM »
Ben read the text and his frustration exploded out of him. "Fuck!"

He wondered if they'd heard, for he wasn't too far away. Close enough even Murphy had a chance, maybe. He hadn't expected his friend to answer

and dismiss

him so quickly. Had he even read his texts? He couldn't interrupt now. Fuck.

He stalked back the party after ramming the phone into his pocket.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2019, 05:51:57 PM »
Jake liked that Murphy didn't pull away, and liked even better that he'd enjoyed the feeding. Then his phone went off and by about the second ping he knew it was Ben. Who else would send a million messages to Murphy right as he and Jake were getting intimate? Jake's heightened senses activated,  and he searched for that spicy perfume Ben had worn. He knew that scent a mile away. It had been a birthday present from Scott, and was not his style. It was still Ben radar though, and it smelled foully like him on the air. He wondered if Luke saw Ben near. He would've asked but he didn't want to leave Murphy's embrace, not yet at least. He ignored Murphy's line about Ben, not wanting to bring that ugly topic into just a nice moment.

"You really think I'm gorgeous," he joked, making an ugly face as the punchline. It still looked pretty cute though. He was excited to hear Murphy's offer. "I am happy you asked because I was about to," he admitted. "Ben's on house arrest with me right now. It's... complicated. But why don't you come over tomorrow or the next night and cheer him up? I'll work the early part of the evening and meet up with you after?"

Truthfully, Ben wasn't learning from following Jake around, and he figured he could get Murphy and maybe even get a less pissed off Ben. Those texts had sunk his chances of going home tonight with Kerr. Hope those petty texts were worth it Ben. He heard Ben's lash out, and it made him smile just a tad wider.

"May I kiss you goodnight," he asked, hoping that by now they were at a kissing level. He wanted to taste Murphy in one last way before parting company.

- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2019, 12:28:01 AM »
“You’re not too bad,” Murphy agreed with a chuckle which turned into a beaming smile as Jake said he had been about to suggest a repeat, until Jake offered up a suggestion of what they could do. His smile faltered, then faded away as he took half a step back so he was no longer pressed against Jake and could see his face better.

“What? What do you mean Ben’s on house arrest?” Ben had said he’d been on a ‘diplomatic exchange program’ which had been pretty meaningless, and then shut him down really from asking other questions. Murphy had just assumed Ben had just arrived with Jake, not that he’d been living with him without having a choice in the matter.

He suddenly wished he had read more of Ben’s texts.

“One of you needs to tell me what is going on,” he said firmly, ignoring Jake’s question on a kiss because until he got an answer he was happy with, that wasn’t going to happen. Maybe he shouldn’t be demanding answers from Jake, but right now he wanted to know what was going on. Ben was his best friend, but sometimes it was so difficult to get information out of him and it was so frustrating. Jake had been pleasant so far, maybe he’d be more willing to explain fully.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2019, 03:21:06 AM »
Jake wanted to lie. He wanted to say Ben was there because he wanted him to suffer for all the slights he’d caused him, but as he looked at Murphy another truth slipped through his lips like there was a hole in the fence.

“Charon placed him with me to punish him. Ben said some very hurtful things to me, and I showed him mercy. Charon insisted I accept Ben’s punishment as a part of our alliance and and I didn't feel like I could say no to the ancient. I also selfishly thought that spending time with me would show Ben I’m not a monster.”

He looked uncomfortable as he explained, unsure how Murphy would handle it. He quickly added, “But I only plan on keeping him a few more days, just until my alliance with Charon is on stronger footing.” He was fairly sure the second goal would never happen. Ben would never see him as anything but horrid.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2019, 08:07:01 PM »
Kerr's subtle attempts at trying to place Pierre's face when he spoke to him were interrupted when Ben strode purposefully away; he was momentarily distracted, wanting to follow his fledge but unwilling to simply desert Ichabod or the circle of companions he'd inadvertently brought together. He would catch up with him as soon as possible.

Sabrina progressed the conversation and it came to him - as he learnt Pierre was Jenella's sire, he realised the blonde vampire was familiar because he was someone he'd knocked over at the masquerade ball (a few weeks ago, to Kerr). He was only able to remember him through his alcohol-hazed memory patches because of the severe pain Pierre had been in when he fell. His level of agony hadn't made sense, considering he'd only fallen to the floor.

Kerr tilted his head as he watched Pierre speak, a pleasant sensation of camaraderie spreading through him as a history quite similar to his own was described. He just hadn't been in the city as long. He regretted that their last encounter hadn't given him this knowledge, he might've had the chance to know the handsome blonde longer and discover more similarities.

"We have a similar history," Kerr smiled warmly at Pierre. "What brought you to this city from Montreal or Louisiana?"  He turned his head slightly to look at Sabrina, intending to ask her how long she'd been in the city, when he sensed Ben's turbulent emotions along their bloodline. Worried, he turned and saw his lover emerging from the distant garden looking singularly unimpressed. "Uh, I'm very sorry about this ladies, gentlemen, but I need to go and check on Ben." He shared an apologetic look around the circle but didn't allow them to dissuade him from leaving.

Although he didn't use celerity, he was in front of Ben in next to no time. "What's wrong?" he asked worriedly, scanning the area immediately around them but seeing no-one or anything controversial nearby. He reached for Ben's hands instinctively, intent on pulling him close.