Author Topic: A Grand Entrance  (Read 47453 times)

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
Re: A Grand Entrance
« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2019, 06:27:18 PM »
Samantha's bold laugh was surely unexpected for the Saraekiel's statement, but it was not a menacing laugh rather a hearty one. Grinning and shaking her head at the Dark Angel, he was playing the game nicely and she enjoyed his banter. Oh, this would be a fun night now with Kiel here, the duo was an unlikely pair at the party.

"Saraekiel that is a tame statement. You should take a class, or two," taking his palm with a grin. But not before giving a proper exit to the two gentlemen left.

"It was nice to meet you Damien and Ari. I thank you for your company I hope to see you again." Bowing her head to both, turning with Kiel towards the musicians.

"I am glad you came," she whispered. "You look radiant, also, this corset is brutal." Following Kiel's lead every step of the way, wondering what tempo he would pick.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2019, 01:44:32 AM »
Ari wondered what the angel's interest in the pup was. His offer to dance seemed fueled by something, and Ari had been around long enough to know when a game was being played. He also didn't enjoy the manner in which the angel spoke of Cain. To Ari, Charon was the founder of all vampires in one way or another, but Noddists were devout believers usually, and it was clear this Sam girl was. What did the humans call it; religious tolerance or something?

He nodded his goodbye to the girl, and gave the angel a purposely watchful stare. He would be telling his grandsire that he didn't like the feel of this one. Over the years Ari's quiet nature had allowed him to see into the motivations of the loud ones, and made him an excellent spy. People forgot he was there watching, or thought he was a simple blonde statue. However, behind his blue eyes was a man always watching, searching, and looking for the truth. Damien Evans and his family would be receiving high praise. The girl Sam would be praised as well, but not this angel. There was just something about him that reeked of bullshit, and Ari didn't like how it mixed with the smell of sulfur that always seemed to follow his kind. He turned to Damien.

"Your family have been my favorite guests of the evening. Please let me know if you would ever like to bring your clan over for a more private event. I'm sure Charon and Jeanne would be most pleased to have you."

He would have to okay this with his grandsire of course, but Ari felt this ancient and his brood could be reliable allies here in the east, and it was best to cultivate that relationship early Besides, he wanted to know what made Damien Evans tick, and he couldn't do that until he saw him with his own people relaxed. It was about fact finding as much as kindness.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2019, 10:44:58 PM »
Kerr sat stiffly beside Ben, barely aware of the beauty surrounding him in the frangipani grove. He kept his hands pressed together and tucked between his thighs, a bit of space on the seat between he and his lover. It took him a few goes to direct his gaze at Ben, the sensation that he was looking at a stranger persisting. Everything had changed without his permission and he was sick of feeling like a victim... but that was exactly what he was.

Larger things than jealousy and disagreements were at stake here, though. Things like their entire relationship and their future as sire and fledgling were at risk and he was disheartened that Ben didn't seem to recognise the brevity of the situation. It was leaving him hollow, though that could be his defence mechanisms kicking in. He'd come here tonight anticipating taking Ben with him; now he wasn't even sure he'd go home with a boyfriend anymore. Was this the moment his life would completely fall apart?

"You told Murphy you'd sire him?" he asked stiltedly, unable to relax enough to even speak properly.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2019, 12:08:20 AM »
Saraekiel felt Ari's eyes on him once more as he took Sam's hand within in own and raised an eyebrow of inquiry in return from over Sam's shoulder. Suspicion and distate rolled off of him like a fine dark and bitter chocolate. Saraekiel gave him innocent eyes and a benign smile in return Before nodding politely in farewell to Damien before leading Sam away towards the music.

He started the opening moves of a Viennese waltz and as he lead her through the quick, revolving dance and its graceful sweeping turns he took the opportunity to speak quietly with her.

" Thank you, I'm glad you like my costume. Shae laughed when she say me she said i was a prettied up popinjay. and I am glad to find you here too, but I am curious as to why you wanted us to act like strangers, and Fangs, if you hate the corset why wear it? "he asked with a hint of amusement in his voice "I didn't take you for one who would torture themselves for the sake of fashion."

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2019, 04:45:10 AM »
The Viennese waltz was one of the four types of ballroom dancing. Rotating constantly towards Kiel's left and right depending on his lead, her steps were flawless and matched Kiel's tempo perfectly. Remembering small non-rotating steps as Kiel changed the direction of his dance to his liking, a passion for dance within Sam started to emerge. Throwing them a few looks as Sam danced to near perfection beside Kiel, they both loved to dance. Talking quietly to Kiel with a huge smile on her face.

"Jake does not know I have met you prior so this is a good way to cover us meeting," not feeling good about keeping this from Jake. However, he had a prejudice against Dark Angels and not all were evil.

"As for the corset,"  her eye's shimmered mischievously at Kiel, "I have a goal from Jake to be on the arm of a man tonight. Hence my wardrobe for the evening." Studying Kiel's face for his reaction and looking forward to his rebuttal.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2019, 09:38:10 AM »
Ben was also unable to meet Kerr's gaze. The question twisted in his chest and weighted his stomach.

"You were dead," he whispered. "I couldn't have known you were coming back from that." He wanted to say more, to explain how alone he'd felt and that Murphy had been his only friend left in the world. Ben wasn't so good at making them, and their friendship had always been easy. A lot of that had to do with Murphy's high tolerance of others. Not many people would have put up with Ben's shit.

"After the Academy was finished, I was going to do it. I'd promised him I would do it."

Yes, those words had been said. Before Kerr came back, it had been simple. Now it was complicated.

"I didn't tell you because... it seemed too big a conversation while we were still settling down into each other. I didn't want to upset that. I didn't want you to throw your hands in the air and give up on me again for a decision I'd made while you were dead. I wanted to know we were okay first."

He realised belatedly that he'd implied they hadn't been okay. They hadn't, and Kerr would've felt it too, but they'd both been trying to fit Kerr back into his life, into the new timeline. And then Jake had to interfere and pick him up in his stupid limo.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2019, 11:35:49 AM »
Damien gave a small nod and a polite small as Sam and Saraekiel stepped away.

"Thank you," Damien said with a bit of pride filling him. He was proud of these two, their relationship, and all that they had accomplished in their time on the Earth. "I would be honored."

He paused briefly, and then said "Actually, speaking of your family, I'm interested in setting up an appointment for a... pet approval, if you will." He hated calling his relationship with Rachel that. Rachel was, in no way, his pet; she was his lover, his partner, his human companion, not some living blood bag. Damien found it degrading to refer to her as such. He would typically go far out of his way to avoid the phrasing. As their relationship had started to become more intimate, they both knew it was only a matter of time before he was feeding from her.

And he was familiar with fledges being taken from their Sires, pets being taken from their lovers due to lack of registration. It was an utterly ridiculous idea that he should have to register dynamics and relationships of his private life at all to anyone, but until Rachel it had never really affected him. Now, however, he felt cautious, bashful discussing such details in the presence of some other creature who wasn't Rachel. It had been hard enough for him to talk with Rachel about these kinds of things - lots of prodding, gentle coaxing, and catching him at moments with his guard down. He felt horrible at first for even wanting to feed from her just as he had felt horrible at wanting to make love to her. Now, however, at least between them, the words about having her legally marked as his offered some comfort to his anxious self.

He felt that all-too-familiar feeling in his face like tensing muscles, though no blood flowed there. Damien looked out onto the party and saw Jenella and Pierre walking arm-in-arm together comfortable, talking. FOr a brief moment, he wished he had brought Rachel with him. At least then he wouldn't have been as anxious as he was now.

---

Pierre had given a huff of a laugh at his fledgling's comment about wasted opportunities, remembering how the evening with Sonya had played out. He looked down at the ground in response, saying nothing else. He hadn't told her anything about his encounter with Sonya - let alone Nadia - and Pierre was not looking forward to that conversation and the punishing looks he would undoubtedly receive for interacting with Nadia again.

"Well, you know me," he smirked but didn't meet her gaze. "I'd much rather be anywhere else. But you know Damien and his social events." Pierre sighed and looked around the party. Everyone seemed to pairing off, Sabrina turning to address Ichabod, Damien with some Ancient that Pierre recognized - or at least figured - was Sacramentum. Pierre held his arm out for his fledge in an attempt to lead her away from the giantess and Kerr's family to get her for himself. He expected her to take his arm, and would have been dreadfully surprised if she hadn't. "But tell me more about your trip. I live vicariously through your adventures, you know this. Do you think this Ricardo is The One for you?" A distracted smirk as he closed her hand on his arm with his other hand.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2019, 04:16:50 PM »
Kerr considered Ben's words carefully, seeing the logic. He could forgive Ben the promise to his best friend, even if Kerr knew he wasn't ready for the responsibility of siring anyone. It was just what one did in times of grief; they rallied their defences and did whatever they could to survive. Connecting and reassuring themselves that they were still loved and needed was perfectly natural. He'd done it himself, when he'd lost his own sire, so he understood the instinct.

Personally, he didn't see the appeal of Murphy that Ben did but Kerr had also moved a long way past being jealous, as he used to be. Time had showed him that the journalist's bond with his lover was one of substance and a genuine connection of spirit; Murphy got Ben when so many in this city didn't, and Kerr could appreciate that about him. The notion that the two of them would be friends forever was actually quite touching... in an innocent, we'll-bumble-through-this-vampire-gig-and-work-it-out-as-we-go-along kind of way.

Now that he was here to have a say in it, though, he would. Ben had made his promise in grief and hadn't had his sire's perspective to influence his decision. Kerr thought that he could change Ben's mind, if he tried hard enough. It was just... did he want to? Because here was the real crux of their problems - their relationship.

"But we're not okay, are we?" he asked quietly, rubbing his hands together now, unsure what to do with them. Ben had been avoiding this discussion by going out a lot, he was pretty sure. He was busy with the Academy, with drinking - by himself - with getting himself forced into other mens' homes just so he could spy (Kerr strongly suspected) and stay away from Kerr. Kerr, who now had nothing in his life but Ben and Ichabod.

Was that the problem? Was he too needy? Too boring? Maybe he needed a new job, to give his life purpose. God forbid he find it in being a devoted partner and sire to the man he loved.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2019, 05:02:18 PM »
Saraekiel was pleasantly surprised by Sam’s dancing skill and as they moved through the lineal swing and rotating sweeping steps of the natural and reverse turns of the Viennese waltz, he added the advanced movements that required a certain stretching of the body and spine during the natural turns that would give the appearance of an elegant sway to their dance steps.

Samantha Rede was a rare treasure, a treasure that Jake McCloud didn’t deserve to have.

“You dance like an angel; your steps are as light as air and as quick as lightning. You have surprised me yet again Sam” he said as he led them into a fleckerl Unlike the natural and reverse turns, the fleckerl does not move forwards along the dance floor but instead rotates on the spot, allowing them a chance to talk quietly together whilst they danced.

“If you think it best to keep our relationship a secret from your sire then I shall follow your lead. From what I have heard about your Jake, he wouldn’t approve of our friendship anyway and like you I don’t allow others to decide who I can or cannot be friends with” He stated with a sharp smile. “You are a strong and intelligent woman Samantha Rede who is more then capable of making her own decisions. As for the corset. You are more then a pair of perky breasts and a firm ass. If Jake McCloud truly understood and respected you, he would know you have no need to emphasize your physical assets to attract others to you and that you are so much more than some pretty handbag to be worn as an adornment on some mans arm. As for me, I am no mere man.” He whispered into her ear with a wickedly mischievous smile as he lowered his hand to her hip, his fingertip grazing across the top of her derriere as he guided her into an elegant dip

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 12, 2019, 05:48:11 PM »
”I think I can take care of that for you. Just get me the person’s data and I’ll run it by the people in charge.”

Ari was more than happy to help. His role for the family required assisting in matters like this, and he’d asked politely. He considered he should meet the human and obtain their willingness. Then it occurred they should combine the process. He would make suggestions to Charon and Jeanne about the matter. The ancient felt like he’d taken enough of Mr. Evans time and made his goodbyes. “See you soon Mr. Evans. Thanks again for joining us.” He flashed a pretty smile before walking away.

He wondered where Felicia was. He wanted to tell her about the wolf. She had a talent for getting Ari to talk more, an accomplishment only achieved by his sire and his fledge. He drifted back out to the crowd and watched the happy couple dance. Upon seeing how happy they both looked he began to wonder if his suspicion has been misplaced. On the other hand, Ari didn’t often ignore his instincts. He would still mention concerns but would soften the report.  He chuckled to himself as he thought that McCloud should probably be watching his fledge more closely.

Ari headed back out to the grounds near the meddowcrest woods. If his grandsire needed him he’d summon him once more, and Ari would of course come if called. However, he had a moment to himself and looked for the wolf. He had really gone away.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2019, 06:45:46 PM »
Kerr zeroed in on the thing that Ben had been doing his best to avoid but had inadvertently invited. It scared him, that Kerr would not be patient, that he would say it was too hard to shoehorn himself back into Ben's life. This fear trembled a path along their bloodline and Ben did his best to block it but they were sitting too close and the emotions were too raw.

“I’ve been playing with a fantasy. Fantasy you. Charon didn’t want to do more than summon memories for me but I wanted to make new ones,” he said, ashamed. “And now I’m used to my own version of you and I only realise now how much I changed you over the months. I want you back, I love having you back... I love you,” he stared at Kerr and then found himself unable to look away.  “But we have to work for it all over again. I’m different now, I think. I think what I want from you is different to what I wanted before... maybe that’s why the fantasy you has changed. Charon just fed off what I expected. My expectations are different. But I don’t love you any less. Don’t want you any less,” he whispered, “I made a mistake, running off to clear my head. I went back to what I was doing before you came back. It was... wrong,” he said, thinking the final word not powerful enough to convince Kerr that Ben had reflected a lot about his decisions to land him here and now.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2019, 08:04:13 PM »
The sensation of fear was hard to deal with, especially when it seeped into the pit of sadness lurking in Kerr’s bones; despair was born and it made hearing Ben’s words accurately very difficult. He hoped he got all the highlights while his mind whirled.

Ben loved him being back but they had to work for their relationship? When wasn’t their relationship work, Kerr wanted to know. Ben thought he’d changed? What a ridiculous understatement! He’d lived another two years of his life while Kerr’s was stagnant. Of course he’d changed but that was normal. Why was he so fearful of that? There were conditions, Kerr supposed. He needed to know what they were.

“So what are your expectations of me?” he asked quietly, leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees and looking up at Ben over his shoulder, through his lashes. Instinctively, he was closing his body up, protecting his most vulnerable parts as he anticipated a blow.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 12, 2019, 09:30:31 PM »
Ben saw his sire's hunched form and accurately guessed that Kerr looked ready for a beating. Like he was preparing himself for a harsh punishment delivered from Ben's mouth. It hurt his heart to see Kerr this way. Had he nurtured this relationship? Kerr knew so much more of their relationship than Ben himself knew. He'd watched a lot of the memories, flicking through them like home-movie reels. All of them were so tragic. So many times he'd berated himself for the things he'd said and done. So many times he'd run from Kerr. No wonder his sire was folded up now. He was reacting to a pattern Ben had laid out in his past.

"Acceptance." One word wasn't going to say it all. "To accept that I want to be a part of your team. To accept that I want you, and love you. I watched those old memories of mine, the ones you stole from Jack and gave to me. I watched all of them. I'm not the person who shifts blame anymore. I don't think I am, anyway," he tried for a smile but it felt artificial on his face so he let it die on his lips. "I never used to believe that love was enough to sustain a relationship. I abused your trust and your love when we were together." Ben covered his face with his hands and peered down at his knees because he wanted to shield himself from the heat in his eyes. "I kept myself apart from you lately because... because you've only known me at my worst - it feels that way - and I... I didn't want to... disappoint you... again. Because if I do... if it gets too much... no sane person would stay."

How had they ended up here? This wasn't the talk he'd intended on giving. It wasn’t even close to the complexity of his emotions. He'd meant to calm Kerr's concerns, not unleash everything on him. Being with Kerr was so raw, and kind of painful, but it was strong, too. Ben had been numb for a long time, and now he was drowning in emotion.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2019, 09:59:07 PM »
Kerr sat up as Ben spoke, turning towards him as he revealed the depths of his feelings. A lump formed in his throat, not just because he could taste Ben's emotions through their blood bond but because his words were poignant and unexpected.

This was the conversation they should've had in Europe, but Kerr had spoilt the beginning of the holiday and Themba (and Ben and Murphy, technically) had ruined the end. Before they went away, Kerr's life had been about the Oligarchy and the stresses that came from his work. Ben's life hadn't been as demanding; he'd found things to amuse him at the Chambers but Kerr couldn't honestly say what they were - beyond hanging out with Murphy and antagonising Oligarchy staff. As far as their relationship went, there'd been discussions of involving others in their bed, of including Ichabod within their partnership and mortals accepted as casual lovers... but Kerr hadn't been convinced so nothing had come of it.

Everything had since flipped. Now, Kerr was aimless and Ben was building something amazing, growing into his own leadership role and dipping his toe into the political scene. Kerr had been left behind. He'd struggled with it over the past weeks, debating whether he was being a sore loser or genuinely being phased out by a lover that had moved beyond him. To find out that it was neither of these things but Ben being afraid he'd disappoint... he was astounded. Confounded, even.

He wrapped his arms around Ben, pressing his lips to his head, murmuring soothingly. Tears pricked at his eyes as their emotions swelled and were amplified; love, relief, shame, hope. Where was he to begin to respond in this maelstrom?

"I've always accepted you and always loved you. I never felt my trust and love was abused, we just... have different ideas about what a relationship should look like. I love the idea of us being a team and I absolutely accept that. I don't want to lose you, especially not now, when you're changing in ways that make me so proud. I'm proud of what you've become since I left, you amaze me. I've hated being shut out; I felt like an inconvenience and thought that you were trying to push me away because you'd moved on. I'm so relieved to hear that's not the case! I don't plan on going anywhere again."

Of course, none of this meant Kerr thought Ben was ready to sire Murphy, but that argument could wait while he eked as much enjoyment out of this moment as he was able.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2019, 08:07:39 AM »
Ben melted into the embrace, holding Kerr and relishing the moment as well. The words were like syrup in his veins; sweet and warm and rich.

"Not long now and I'll come back," Ben said softly. "And we can start fresh from a higher point than we were before."

He'd been so lucky, that night at Risk. Maybe he would've found a good sire - Arles had been aloof but would've done well by Ben - but nothing matched the passion that he had with Kerr. It had been a tumultuous ride to get to this point, but it was worth it. They kept coming back to one another. Luck had delivered him to the person he'd most needed in his life, and he was thankful for his sire.

For his lover. One day he might even deserve him.