Author Topic: An Unexpected Offer  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
An Unexpected Offer
« on: March 04, 2019, 10:37:34 AM »
(Filler Story. Not a thread to be replied too. Edits made by Billiam and Idrial)

The journey from the Detour Motel for Maria had been long, unsettling and filled with deep thought. Much had happened Maria did not understand, Sam had called Maria to pick her up at the White Rabbit. Maria knew something was wrong, sensing her voice void of emotion. When she had arrived Sam was hiding in the back alleyway, watching Ben being swooped into a vehicle by the Ward. Maria's heart broke as she gazed into Sam's eye's, something had broke again. Sam's mental state in such a jumble Maria knew if she tried to force Sam to go inside she would run. Maria needed to keep her safe and staying at the Detour Motel with her was the best bet. When they arrived Sam became hysterical, crying and sobbing uncontrollably as she spewed words that made no sense. All Maria could do was hug Sam, both becoming a pile on the floor as Maria let Sam weep herself to sleep.

Now Maria came on Sam's behalf, Jake had been calling and texting her phone. Finally
breaking down after Lisa-Joe left a voicemail, but Sam only offered bits and pieces of the plot. Maria was aware Jake had hit her but something terrible had happened to Jake. When Maria tried to push further she was met with resistance from Sam, fearing she would run off Maria let it slide. Maria wore a high collar, long black gothic dress one that was similar to what she normally would wear as a High Priestess. Long sleeves flared out at the ends, her dress pooling at her feet. Gliding to and fro from the dark alleyways as she discreetly made her way to the White Rabbit to speak on Sam's behalf. Hoping not to step on anyone's toes in the process, Sam would come home but not without a guarantee that Lisa-Joe is present. It was agreed the three needed to talk and from what she had heard on the voicemail Lisa-Joe was a reasonable woman.

When she arrived she was stopped by the bouncer, "I am here on Samantha's behalf. May I speak to Jake or Lisa?" Remaining polite with the gentleman. A mere grunt before he let Maria inside, ending their encounter.

Maria made her way over to the bar her eyes scanning for someone not too busy by the rustle and bustle of the club. Seeking out a blonde with multiple ear piercings, "Excuse me is Jake or Lisa around?" The blonde girl giving her a hard look as Maria asked her question.

"They're both busy. Who the fuck are you exactly?" Her tone is authoritative as she gazed at Maria intensely. The blonde had pretty green eyes underneath all that liner.

"Sam told me to come here and I -" Maria was cut off by a shrill cry of the blonde girl.

"Why didn't you say so!? Sam said someone was coming. Jake should be back soon but you can come with me for now. I'm Amy by the way." She had a pretty smile as Maria took her hand and shook it.

"Maria," following the girl behind the bar. This seemed odd, was this an odd sort of custom Sam had not mentioned. Maybe guests had to help out with the club while waiting now? She never had to do that when she visited Sam when Jake was gone, the mother and father told her just to go with the flow. A grave injustice was done here, and it was not Jake hitting Sam. Takhar vibrated softly in her mind, this needed to be investigated as Maria said nothing to the girl. Ami was more bubbly as she opened up the small closet, grabbing liquid cleaners, a few clothes and two-deep tubs.

"We will get you on something simple, clear the tables and wash them down. Do the booths and chairs too if needed. Understand?" Maria gave her an affirmative nod following Ami back to the front.

The task was simple enough however, carrying two deep tubs and the cleaners were proving a challenge. Other employees were nice enough to give her some tips and they worked for a time. Not having one hand free was so strange to Maria, finally deciding to balance the tub on her head. Just like the old days back when her tribe was thriving before the slave trades, now moving faster and efficiently through the club. Not paying attention to the looks of awe and winder, she was here to do a job nothing more. Maria focused hard on wiping the table only to be tapped on the shoulder by a large man. Sporting a golden fang and spikey brown hair, his grin wolfish towards Maria.

"Hey lady can you come over and clear our table?" His voice betraying his thoughts. It was not as simple as clearing the table, that was clear. Giving the man a nod as she followed him over.

The giggles from the human and vampires gave it away. Approaching the messy table, blood, alcohol and empty glasses were strewn across it. It looked like a small bomb went off gently picking up the glasses and placing them in the tub on top of her head. What she didn't notice is red-headed human placing a glass on the back side of the tub and Maria felt the weight shift immediately. Taking a quick second to reposition her head so as not to have glass tumbling to the floor, she raised a motherly eyebrow at the table.

"My dear ladies and gents you will have to try harder than that to fool this old lady, " an eruption of giggles filler the corner. Old lady indeed but a wise one none the less. Giving them a smile to empty her tubs again, placing the glasses in the dishwasher. Ami approached Maria her arms crossed comfortably beaming a smile at Maria.

"You have some neat tricks and an even calmer approach. Most people would have flipped out." Maria smiled at Ami's compliment, still loading dishes as she replied.

"Their half slooshed they meant no harm. Just some impulsive fun that could have gone bad. Good thing I have confidence in my abilities." A small smirk on Maria's lips closing the door on the dishwasher.

"Well, let's see how your math skills are then, " hearing a challenge in Ami's voice. Grabbing a book, pencil and what looked to be a scale.

"Each week we weigh the bottles, "opening the book, "everything is in columns, type, brand, name and bottle size. I need you to count the bottle in tenths and figure out how much we used this week. Start in the front of the bar and if you have any trouble come find me." Maria gave her a thankful nod again getting to work.

Unlike Sam Maria was good at math, writing the new figures in pencil in each column. Counting in increments of tens went by quickly and before long she was interrupted by a deep voice, not matching the young man's appearance at all.

"You are our new employee?" Maria was taken back by Jake's statement. It all made sense as she calmly put down the pencil.

"No there has been a misunderstanding I'm afraid. Sam did tell me to come but on her behalf. I am her friend Maria," Ami looked horrified but whatever she had to say was cut short by Jake.

"Do you know where Sam is?!" His voice almost shaking as he tried to hold Maria's gaze. Giving him a warm nod as she continued to speak. Ami now walking off to obviously do something with the bar.

"She wants to come home, but under the condition Lisa will be here. She wants to talk but it should involve you three. You are both her guardians after all," Maria meant that to Jake. He looked like hell and so young to be turned into a vampire.

"I agree I just want her home," seeing tears well up in his eyes finally looking away from Maria.

He truly was sorry and for that Maria sympathized with him, Sam had never been an easy task. Even as a mortal and now this man was tasked with being her guardian. He had a long road ahead but through the blood, sweat and tears he would have a wonderful gift in the end.

"I will bring her back tomorrow, early in the evening. I am sorry we could not meet under better circumstances." A slight nod from Jake as she exited from behind the bar. Preparing to leave as Jake spoke

"Did you want a job?" Stopping Maria dead in her tracks with a raised eyebrow at him.

"I am currently looking, why do you ask?" Her tone is curious towards Jake as to why he offered her a job she did very little.

"Sam went to you of all people and I've heard her speak about you. I think it would be beneficial to have someone of your stature employed here." Maria paused before she nodded at Jake accepting his offer.

"We can discuss particulars when I bring Sam home tomorrow. I thank you for your time." Exiting the club but not before giving Jake a slight bow of her head.

Leaving Jake alone for the time being Maria would make good on her promise and bring Sam home. Sam would be surprised that Jake had offered her a job and mortified that she was mistaken as a new employee. She could feel Takhar was pleased with accepting the job offer. Maria would learn soon of the full events that happened in the club soon enough, her presence was needed now more than ever.  She had sworn fealty to Sam long ago and now the others would need her protection. So long as Sam considered these people family Maria would ensure their survival, she could do nothing about the death of her mortal family; but she could do something about this one.

(((END)))