Author Topic: One More Time  (Read 10663 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: One More Time
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 05:15:39 PM »
Ben wasn't the only one who'd had enough. She snapped her fingers and the guards from the front door came over. "You leave me no choice. Benjamin Sampson, for obstructing the investigation of a Central and West District affair you are under arrest. Take him to my office and stay in the room with him." She was done with this toxic little shit. He probably thought Jake deserved what she imagined was happening to him. She moved towards the elevator, dealing with Ben later.

When the door shut, Jake howled. All the bravery he'd put into his act collapsed. After a few quick sobs, he put on a tank top and basketball shorts, and moved to his safe. Once he'd retrieved the sword he begged it to let him use it's awesome power one more time at least. He hoped he wouldn't need it, but at this point it was his only defense. He waited the time he knew it would take to get to the elevator and then slowly peaked his head out. Not seeing Lazarus right there, he began to creep down the tunnel, heading slowly towards the elevators.

Lisa-Joe was not expecting to see Lazarus at the doors, and even let her surprise show. She stuck out an arm, blocking his path.

"Seen Jake," she said, as if making simple conversation with her coworker. Those boys getting the gear would be a few minutes. She had to stall or let him go and run to check on Jake. She couldn't do both. She would use small talk to distract him, hoping to get him annoyed enough to focus on her.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 05:35:53 PM »
Lazarus frowned at her, not liking her pushy manner but he wasn't stupid enough to test her. He knew Jake considered her important.

"Yeah, he's downstairs. I'm getting him some toyboys to drink," Lazarus said, sensing nothing terribly wrong. He stared at her for a moment longer, deciding whether or not he wanted to know what the problem was. "Awsh, did something bad happen? Nothing to do with Bat... with the Ancient fuckers or Saint Bitch, I hope?"

That would put Jake in a bad mood, and Lazarus wasn't interested in the political talk. He'd find someone to play with and take them to their place, if so.

Ben screamed his protests and fought the goons until they were forced to pick him up. His memory

they were taking him away from Kerr and giving him to someone else
four of them, holding each of his limbs each

overlapped. Why did this keep happening? He wasn't a criminal. He'd never hurt or killed anyone.

maybe it's karma
maybe people just don't like you

He managed to get in a few punches before he himself was punched. Dazed, his fighting grew more erratic until he was thrown into the office and locked in. Ben heard the key turn and unsteadily got to his feet.

He reached into his jeans for his phone but it wasn't there. Jake had forgotten to give it back to him after taking it off him on the way home from the party (punishment for the Murphy texts). His heart sank, but then it leapt back up when he saw Lisa-Joe's desk, and a computer there as well. Oh. Oh yes. Oh fucking yes.

He ran-shambled over to it and sat at her desk. Wriggling the mouse, the monitor showed him an unlocked screen. Lisa-Joe must've been using it recently, and hadn't expected anyone to go into her office.

Ben quickly typed up an email and CC'd it to multiple people.

Charon. Kerr. The Ward. His district leader, Sarai Zohoret.

Subject Line: BEN NEEDS HELP

Message: LISA-JOE HOLDING ME HOSTAGE EVEN THO JAKE HAS RELEASED ME. I HAVE BEEN ABUSED AND ASSAULTED. I NEED IMMEDIATE HELP AT THE WHITE RABBIT. I HAVE BEEN ARRESTED UNDER FALSE ALLEGATIONS.

BEN SAMSON.

He sent the message, and waited, refreshing the messages often. While waiting, he decided to read all the other emails Lisa-Joe had in her in-box. Might as well see what was going on here. He'd been sent to spy after all.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 05:43:18 PM »
Seb had been having a relaxed night at home, browsing through his library and reading bits and pieces and then browsing the internet to try look up a few missing pieces from his collection. He was very pleased that he’d just won an online auction for a first edition of one of his favourite authors when his phone buzzed with Lisa-Joe’s message.

When he first saw her name a wolfish grin spread across his face as he remembered their night together. They hadn’t booked in a repeat, but he would definitely be up for one.

That was not what she was requesting though.

Seb only lingered long enough to slip some shoes on and send her a quick text back before he tapped into his celerity and headed swiftly towards the White Rabbit.

On my way.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 05:51:45 PM »
Lisa-Joe Hampton saw what looked like an opportunity. "Yeah the Sac aren't happy about something we did. Hey I'm not trying to get in the way of yall's good time, but Charon wants to talk to Jake now, so I got to go rouse him and spoil the mood." She wasn't as good an actor as Jake, but she gave her best disgruntled employee tone and hoped he'd buy it. Lisa-Joe's phone buzzed, but for now she ignored it.

Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 06:12:56 PM »
"Ugh, fine," Lazarus said, rolling his eyes. The elevator doors tried to shut on him and he put out a hand to halt it. "You go tell Jake, then. I don't want to be the one to wreck his mood. Get him a baggie of blood or something, he said he needed a drink."

Lazarus grinned at her and once again tried to move past, not rushing, not worried. Certainly not looking like he'd been doing anything wrong.

An email came in. From the Sacramentum, but not Charon.

Ben, do not give them reason to harm you further. We will come to your aid. Charon has been informed but I am the only one close enough to help soon. I'm maybe fifteen minutes out. Talk then. Hugh.

Shit, Hugh was one of the younger Sacramentum fledges. Ben had been hoping for Charon himself, or Ari, Felicia or Jeanne. He wanted an Ancient's influence.

No. What he really wanted was Kerr, but he hadn't answered yet. He was more likely to answer texts than emails. Ben started opening drawers, searching Lisa-Joe's office for a phone.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 06:27:00 PM »
Lisa-Joe Hampton wanted to get to Jake desperately and weighed the costs of letting Lazarus stay in the upper bar. He seemed put off. Maybe he'd leave, and a proper blood hunt could be called. She'd lead it herself, and after the other leaders knew what happened to Ben and Jake they'd all likely join in. Or maybe he'd be stupid and stay. She assumed the text was Seb, and those chains and flamethrowers were still heading to the residence.

"After you," she said, letting Lazarus out of the elevator and getting in herself. She'd be with Jake soon. She figured Jake told Lazarus that he was hungry. Clever boy.

When the doors pinged Jake was standing there, sword drawn and eyes wild. Lisa-Joe moved to him and hugged him, and he broke down sobbing in her arms. She knew they couldn't stay here long, and she carefully took Jake's blade from him. He was in no state to use it. She couldn't let the people see their prince like this. "I need to make sure Lazarus leaves or dies," she said, not asking Jake for permission. Instead he just nodded, as if either would be fine. Jake finally spoke, the topic of what took place not being the subject.

"Did Ben make it out okay? Thank god he went and got you."

Lisa-Joe didn't want to cause Jake anymore pain but she could not lie to him. "Jake, he tired to just leave. I had to force him to tell me by beating him, and even then he only told me about himself. I had to put the pieces together. I arrested him for obstruction."

Jake looked blank for a minute, all of this too much to handle. "Oh," he managed, slumping down onto the floor. "I guess I shouldn't be surprised. He can't even connect with me when we're wronged by the same person. I guess I'm just that terrible."

"No Sugah," she insisted, sliding down with him and putting a hand on his lap. "You're a good man and I love you for it." They hugged, and Jake already began to feel a scab form over his heart. He turned to her, "I want to go upstairs and fire him to his face," he told her.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 06:45:16 PM »
Hugh stepped into the bar. He'd been a policeman in his mortal years, and it was those skills that had him assessing the situation. He wasn't the oldest one here and he was in another person's jurisdiction. He could speak for Charon but only up to a point, and the last thing he wanted to do was exacerbate an already tense situation. He heard the whispers about Ben, all negative, and followed the darting looks to the office door at the back of the bar. Two vampires stood in front of it. It was obvious where Ben was being kept.

Ben, I'm here, I believe I can see the door to the office. It's behind the bar, right?

Ben stood up and stared at the closed door. Yes, he sent.

Hugh moved to a table that had been freshly vacated and fished out a matchbook and cigarette pack. He didn't smoke himself but used them to attract mortals who did, often striking up conversations and finding out what was going on around the place. This time he was going to use it as a distraction.

He watched the room, noticing a blonde vampire (ancient, oh geez, that blood was oppressive when it wasn't family) swan into the room and look around before joining a large group of mortals who looked like they were celebrating. Hugh continued to watch discretely as they had a quick chat and made to chink their glasses together. He timed a telekinetic unlocking of the office door with their glasses clinking together for a rowdy 'cheers!', then checked to see if the vamp guards had noticed. He hoped they wouldn't.

Move close to the door and be ready to run when I say run, Hugh sent.

Got it, Ben replied, feeling on edge but following the instruction given and loitering not far from the door.

Hugh could hear the ancient using shitty pick-up lines to entice one of the mortals to take him to his home. That was weird. Hadn't the blonde come from the back room? He'd thought this was the infamous Lazarus, who was in Jake's entourage. Why was he needing some kid to take him home?

He kept his eye on the guards. If they didn't re-lock the door, he'd move to phase two.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 09:42:12 PM »
It had been a long time since someone had sent Seb a plea for help and it was quite a rush. He slowed to a walk just before he got to the club, entering without issue. He was simply wearing dark denim jeans with a loose fitting black shit, half unbuttoned. His hair was clean, but unstyled, so a lot fluffier than usual. His face was like thunder on first entry, but he soothed that expression into a more neutral one, since he didn’t have the information he needed on what was required and who was causing trouble.

His blue eyes scanned the room, spotting the guards by the backroom, a blonde ancient who he had a feeling he’d met several centuries ago, a younger vampire he knew was a member of the Sacramentum, as well as the usual mass of writhing mortals and a scattering of other vampires and beings.

Where are you? he thought, reaching out mentally for Lisa-Joe. The guards indicated there might be something going on back there, but he couldn’t feel her presence in that direction and he thought she would be with Jake, who was the one who needed help. 

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2019, 01:26:01 AM »
Kerr was at his computer when the email came in but he didn't pay attention to it immediately. He was distracted and restless, alternately scrolling through Facebook and checking his favourite auction sites, seeing none of it. There was a queer feeling inside him, something flighty was churning his gut and making it impossible to focus. He'd texted Ben at the start of the evening but got the same response as he had the night before; nothing. When his phone sounded an email received, it reminded him that he'd heard a similar sound a few seconds before on his laptop. Lethargically, he rolled his mouse cursor to his email icon and opened it, expecting nothing of consequence.

It took him two reads before the contents of the email fully sank in but once they did, Kerr's focus returned to him with laser-like precision. He didn't stop to put on shoes or a shirt, he simply shoved his phone in the back pocket of his jeans, grabbed his keys and ran to the fastest car he owned. It occurred to him, on his break-neck drive into the city, that perhaps the beachouse wasn't the best place to live, considering how far away from everything it was. Once he hit the highway, Kerr opened the car up, projecting a mental barrier of invisibility as he drove almost twice the speed limit.

I'm coming, Ben, he thought down his bloodline, even though he was probably too far away for it to register with his fledgling, especially with his split focus. Coming, my love, hang on. I'll be there as fast as I can. I'm coming, sweetheart, he continued to think as he finally turned off the freeway and hit the outskirts of the city. Frustration welled as traffic slowed him down to a far less suicidal speed.

Gritting his teeth, Kerr sat forward in his seat, gripping the wheel and calculating every lane change, every illegal overtake, every speedy turn with precision. Not long now. I'm nearly there.

~*~

Ward Officer Owen Harper didn't have anywhere near the same distance to travel. He was on duty in the northern district (given that it was now the only unclaimed district in the city, therefore the only area the Ward still needed to police). When the call came in for he and his partner to attend the White Rabbit to sort out an unjustified arrest, Owen and Charli (a charismatic and curvy weather demon) had just finished a walk-through of Sticks and Stakes Pool Hall.

They were dressed in black uniforms with 'Security' emblazoned on the back of their shirts, two-way radios attached at their hips, on their utility belts. They also had a variety of other non-lethal weapons at their disposal, should they come up against supernaturals that superseded their powers. Their uniform was such an expected sight in the city that they were often approached by regular citizens if they needed assistance, too. Owen liked it when that happened.

Of course, once they used their radios to acknowledge that they were en route to the White Rabbit, their method of travel was less than orthodox - Charli grabbed hold of Owen and compelled strong winds to assist them around and over the city's buildings to their destination. It wasn't true flying... but Charli hadn't managed to convince Owen of that fact on any of the previous occasions she'd used her powers to move them around and this time was no different. He whooped as they were lifted effortlessly up into the night sky.

They landed outside District Leader Jake McCloud's headquarters just a few minutes after they left the north, hair fluffed, cheeks rouged by passing wind and eyes glittering with the thrill of flight. Charli let go of Owen and preceded him into the bar, her manner cautious and respectful. They technically had no jurisdiction here, it was a controlled and acknowledged district, but they did have authority over a supernatural that was wrongfully detained. Besides, Owen knew Ben personally and, even if he hadn't seen him in quite a while, he knew his husband, Vincent, wouldn't forgive him if he didn't do everything he could to come to the model vampire's aid.

Charli approached the bar and Owen trailed after her, hands resting comfortably on his belt as he surveyed the occupants of the hotel. He couldn't see Ben anywhere and was loathe to send out any mental feelers immediately, lest he offend someone. He was still turning and scanning the room when he heard her identify them both to the bartender and request to see Ben Sampson under City Ward authority.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2019, 07:56:45 AM »
Hugh hadn't seen the two vampire guards locking the office door again, but he did see another ancient walking into the bar. The oppressive feeling of old non-family blood hit him again. He remembered that this guy had come to the party last night, but he couldn't remember his name. Hugh had shaken hands with a lot of different people at the door trying to keep them all straight. He was miffed at himself for not remembering an ancient's name.

The pair of them locked eyes but then the ancient moved further into the bar, looking around as if he was looking for someone. Hugh was confused about who he was and why he was here. Not for Ben, unless Zohoret had already left the meeting at Charon's house, checked her email AND had someone in the area. He didn't think so, the meeting had only recently started. The ancient moved into the bar, still looking.

A minute later, two Ward officers entered the bar. It was starting to get crowded. Hugh was pleased that Ben had more allies that had come for him (but potentially more enemies, they were in the middle of Jake McCloud's headquarters for crying out loud). Perhaps a distraction would present itself. He touched the same connection Ben and he had been on earlier.

We've got the Ward here. Stay calm, be ready.

They might be let out quietly, but if the shit hit the fan, there were two ancients in this room who might not be on their side, plus the rest of the bootstompers that followed McCloud, plus McCloud and Lisa-Joe and that bodyguard of theirs who'd given Hugh the creeps. Nowhere in sight for now but they might pop up at any time.

Ben was still feeling lost, scared and offended at his arrest for being raped by Lazarus. Maybe the three of them were all downstairs now, laughing at him, laughing at what they'd done to him, messing with his body, messing with his head. He had no doubt in his mind that Jake had orchestrated everything in order to come up roses to Charon. Look at what his harpy did, bad harpy, Jake let Ben go. Look at what his keeper did, bad keeper, Jake would let Ben go.

Unless he wouldn't. Unless he'd never intended on letting Ben go. Maybe Lisa-Joe had been told by Jake to keep him here! What had she said before locking him in this room? Something about an investigation? Oh. Oh no. They were going to play out a pretend trial for Lazarus and make Ben recount every fucking detail of his shame. Oh, that was pure evil. It was sick. Jake was a sick fuck.

'Me too', such bullshit. Like Lazarus hadn't been under his thumb the whole time.

There's a first time for everything, love

Yes, because fucking Jake had fucking ordered it. Nothing else made sense.

Lazarus had no idea of the tornado coming his way. He smiled and laughed and chatted up the cute, drunk mortal who was playing a little bit hard to get but had still moved closer to him and rubbing shoulders with him. He thought he was going to have a fun night.

Offline RPC Admin

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Wordsmith
    • View Profile
    • Roleplay City
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 08:02:20 AM »
BILLY'S POST

They formed a plan, and in a flash of speed Lisa-Joe was on her way to do her part, leaving Jake alone in the elevator. He was headed up, wearing his little outfit, making him look like a kid at a sleepover. The sword was now sheathed and draped across his shoulder by the black cloth he normally carried with it . Bringing the blade into the bar would be odd enough. If it was drawn he might cause a panic. The doors opened and he entered the main floor, trying to look annoyed he'd been summoned from below. He scanned the room and saw Lazarus hitting on some mortal. Gross. 

Stranger though, was that a member of the Sacramentum was here. Hugh. Jake had never met him, but when one does business with a family man it's often a good idea to know who that family was, and so Jake wondered why the younger member of Charon's family was in his bar. None of them had ever stepped foot in here before except Ari, and that was only for security meetings. 

Then he saw Seb and nodded at him politely, like everything was fine. He hoped Lisa-Joe had told him to play it cool, because if he rushed to Jake's side the jig would be up. He was honored he'd answered the call though, a sign investing in a friendship with him was worth it. Seb had just gained Jake's trust and loyalty. Lastly, his eyes fell on the bar, and the office behind it. He moved towards that, seeing his guards in an argument of some kind with a vampire, and from the smell of the other one, a demon. Jake saw their mortal police uniforms and knew they were Ward. Ward and Sacramentum? Lisa-Joe had only mentioned she reached out to Seb. All eyes seemed to be on Lazarus, Jake or the office, and he needed to keep focus off of Lazarus for now, at least until Lisa and the boys were ready. A few of the remaining Anarchs in the bar came up to him, and as he walked to introduce himself to the Ward's people, he heard lines like, "He was just a wanker... What a priss... Lisa-Joe drug him across the bar!" Jake highly doubted the last one.

"Evening officers," Jake said as polite as he could be considering the circumstances. "Is there a reason you're trying to gain access to a Central District office without the approval of myself or it's owner Ms. Hampton?"

"They want to see Ben," one of the guards answered for them, giving the little weather demon a shit eating grin.

Lisa-Joe was off in a flash, Celerity up and on her way to the residence. They agreed it would be odd if Jake didn't come up after Lisa's deception, and her absence could be explained in a variety of ways. She reached the residence within a minute and told the assembled gang they would be moving. Luke was not among them, and she hoped it was only because he wasn't home and not because he didn't want to help. The others were eight Brujah strong, four holding thick steel chains. Two had flamethrowers, standard issue with tiny gas canisters attached. They were all grizzled Anarch veterans, the people who'd followed Jake and Lisa-Joe to war.

The truth was, Lisa-Joe had been preparing for this eventuality since Jake first hired Lazarus. She knew a snake when she saw one, and a little research into his past with the city had told her Jake thought too well of most people, except Ben of course. The last two guards were armed with machetes and would block off escape routes. The pack of war dogs split up. Half would go to the other main exit and circle round back to the bar's entrance, coming in through there. The others, Lisa included, would run back to the elevator and meet Jake that way. She pulled out her phone and texted Seb, hearing his thought faintly. He was powerful to get a message to her this far below ground.

Thank you sweetie. I owe you that one thing I wouldn't do the other night. Heard you, but too young to respond. Perp is blonde ancient. Jake still in danger. Don't let him leave. Compliment him or something. It'll make him talk to you.
Send

With all of her forces on the game board the Keeper moved with her unit towards the elevators.

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 08:19:22 AM »
Owen recognised Jake and stepped forward as soon as he saw the older vampire coming their way. He was wary of the sword; it certainly didn’t match Jake’s outfit and it would create some nasty damage if he drew it. It was Owen’s job to see that didn’t happen.

“Good evening, District Leader McCloud, I’m Ward Officer Owen Harper. We recognise your authority in this area, absolutely,” he opened diplomatically, his hands still resting on his belt - near, but not on, his weapons, “but we’re responding to call from a citizen claiming to be being held on your premises under false pretences. A wrongful arrest. Do you know anything about that?”

Owen deliberately didn’t use Ben’s name and he kept his voice low. He’d have used mental communication but knew it to be inciting and considered rude in many situations. Verbal was best. More times than he could count, he channelled his husband in tense situations, using words he imagined Vincent would, so as not to aggravate.

He stared intently at the D.L., his blue eyes roving in an effort to be alerted to any movement that suggested Jake was going to pull his weapon and use it.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 09:09:48 AM »
Hugh's eyes widened when he saw Jake McCloud himself enter wearing the most unusual outfit and wearing a sword. This was not good. He eyed the closest tables around him. Out of three, two groups were starting to notice what was going on in the bar and looking whilst holding their drinks. One table had a couple locking lips and oblivious. One of them had ordered a bottle of flavoured vodka. Perfect. He snagged it and turned around, ripping the cuff off his sleeve and stuffing it into the bottle, holding it by a teeny corner as he wet it with the vodka. He tried doing it discreetly but he was too much in the open. Everybody was looking at everyone except him though, so that was good. His light blue cuff turned a sickly purple because of the red colouring, but it was an easy way to see that the alcohol had been soaked. There was only a quarter of the bottle left now, but it would be enough to make a small blaze. With a match in his hand and a molotov cocktail waiting to be lit, he held them at the ready beneath the table and hoped he wouldn't have to use it.

Lazarus was approached by a very yummy looking vampire, half his actual age. With his arm around the drunken mortal and making good progress, Lazarus wasn't really a "bird in the hand, two in the bush" kind of guy. He wanted all the delicious sexiness for himself and he'd lost his playtime with Jake to stupid politics.

He'd missed his lover's entrance, but when Seb came up to him and delivered a charming line of introduction along with a dash of flattery, Lazarus preened.

"You're hot yourself. With a little bit of friction, I bet we could start a fire," Lazarus replied, ironically unaware of the friction coming his way that would start an actual fire fairly soon. The drunken mortal became a little less hard-to-get and a lot more clingy when he realised that Lazarus could be moving on to someone else.

"Hey," he said. "Whaddabou' me?"

Lazarus turned his head to smile at him, but his gaze caught the goings-on at the bar. Two police officers? And Jake? Why was he up here, and why was he dressed like that, and why did he have his sword with him?

It was the first clue he got that something was going on that he had no clue about - but he was a long way off from suspecting that it had anything to do with him.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 04:04:59 PM »
"My employee, a high ranking member of our government, was investigating an ongoing situation. Mr Sampson possessed information that he attempted to withhold. He also attempted to obstruct the investigation by trying to leave, refusing to cooperate and assaulting deputies of my government. I was not aware the arrest took place at the time, but it is hardly unlawful."

Jake kept his tone even, like this was just a big misunderstanding. Ben must've found some way to communicate out, as the Ward said the citizen called. Jake had his phone, and the only thing in there was Lisa-Joe's computer. He must've used that. Jake was insulted beyond words, and Ben would stand trial for this gross overstep. If he'd used Lisa-Joe's computer then he had access to Central District affairs, then that was espionage. The ward showing up was not good. The plan for Lazarus was about to go down and he didn't need the ward interfering.

"I suggest you take him," he said to his guard's surprise. "However, you should know he is not off the hook. I will be reviewing the arrest and alerting the ward of what we decide. I hope in the spirit of serving all the districts and keeping balance you will not ignore our laws if we feel one was broken. Anything less will be seen as favoritism and not being neutral."

He'd then send a metal message to Owen.

Take him and run. A violent criminal attacked him and me and we are about to take him down. I suggest none of you be here.

He didn't dare look at Lazarus, for fear of drawing his curiosity. He hoped Lisa-Joe was in place, and that Lazarus would stay ignorant.

The doors of the elevator opened, and Lisa-Joe Hampton came out of the elevator with her group of war dogs. They hung back for the moment, standing outside the doorway. She was waiting for Jake's signal but let him know with her thoughts that she was in place. Hopefully the other team was in position. Now they waited.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Online Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 04:32:25 PM »
Ben, listening to what was going on outside the door, heard that he was going to be set free into the Ward's hands. He'd recognised Owen's voice too, and it was a huge relief that he would be among friends. Hugh was out there somewhere as well, and in a moment of inspiration he rushed back to Lisa-Joe's desk, highlighted her entire inbox and all the folders that had contained interesting information, and sent it all to the Sacramentum. The bar only started moving the tiniest part; 1%, then 2%... it was a lot of email.

He hurried back to the door, figuring Hugh wasn't going to bother making a distraction now.

Hugh could see more happening than Ben could, but he was still unaware of the truth behind the events. Since Jake was the one declaring Ben could go, it seemed he had stepped in to right the wrong of his second-in-command. He was relieved enough to remove the alcohol infused cuff and set the bottle harmlessly on the table. He would take his soaked cuff and matchbook with him, to not reveal how far he'd been willing to go. He remained where he was, though, until things finished playing out. He was curious.

Lazarus, with the ring on his finger, had no idea about the mental buzzing in the room, but he certainly picked up on tension. Whatever was happening politically was a huge thing. The Sacramentum had something to do with it, Lisa-Joe had said, and now there were Ward officers here? Lazarus' gaze flicked to Seb, and he was apologetic that he might take a swing at and miss this lovely vampire in his haste to get something going, but if Sacramentum were coming here (and it started to feel like they might), then he didn't want to be here.

"How about we all go to your place?" Lazarus cooed at the mortal hugging him before dropping a sly wink at Seb. "I'm sure we can all get to know each other over a couple of drinks," he said with a grin. If Seb said no, then he would leave with his prize. If he said yes, then he would leave with two prizes. Win-win.

He didn't expect the Sacramentum to show up in the next ten minutes though, so he wasn't too much of a hurry.