Author Topic: Wings Of Darkness  (Read 11081 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Wings Of Darkness
« on: February 24, 2019, 04:43:33 PM »
CHARON MET THE two dark angels in his expansive library, where books were shelved all the way to the ten foot ceiling, with rolling stairs set into each of the four walls. Dark green buttoned leather armchairs were arranged in a square around a thick marble coffee table. It was here that Charon had decided to chat with both Zoheret and Saraekiel.

He watched them select where they wished to seat, waited for them to be offered refreshments from the mortal staff, and then the door closed as they scurried away to fetch what was required (or not fetch, if declined). The three of them were left alone.

In the middle of the city, something was brewing at the White Rabbit, but as yet it hadn't reached epic proportions. But Jake McCloud would be discussed tonight.

"Please, madame Zoheret, I respectfully implore you to share your grievances."
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
Re: Wings Of Darkness
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 01:44:49 AM »
She had taken a glass of sparkling water with a wedge of lime and was pleased to see it handed it to her by one of the staff in a tall stemmed glass. The Dark Angel thanked the human servant and sat comfortably into the chair before taking a sip. Her thoughts were highly guarded though she wouldn't put it past this old one to try to take a look. This one was very old, and unlike that fool Kerr Galvin who had tried to get the Angel to slap herself - and failed - Zoheret had no doubt that this one would have better manners and more power. Nonetheless, she dressed to impress as always with a fitted charcoal suit which dipped low on her chest, a dusty golden chain obscuring the view of much of her throat and clavicles, and open-toed stilettos which exposed a couple inches of ankle.

"Well, Lord Charon, I first want to thank you for a lovely evening last night and for appreciating my opinions enough to invite me back." She smiled and placed the glass down on the nearby table gently. Her tone was polite and never dipped into any sort of bitterness, despite it's direct nature. "I must say, however, that there are certain officials in this city who would not be pleased to know that I am here this evening. And I find myself curious as to the Lord Charon's motivations as to wanting to explore my grievances."

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 07:19:30 PM »
Saraekiel strolled into the library and was immediately drawn to Charons book collection. After placing his order for a scotch, he removed his jacket and moved over to the closest bookshelf. He was dressed entirely in black with only the three top most buttons of his shirt undone to relieve the sternness of his clothing; that, plus the diamond stud earing in his left ear. His hair was left loose and fell around his shoulders.

He made sure to stay within ear shot but figured the two district leaders would want to converse with each other and was more then happy to allow them to do so
for the time being. He loved books and this collection put his one to shame. If this was a public room he couldn’t help but wonder what treasures such an ancient creature like Charon had managed to collect over the eons for their private pleasure.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 10:00:55 AM »
A request for his motivations. It was a fair question, and a clever one. Lady Zoheret's manners and intelligence impressed him a great deal. He believed that her actions would be measured and each potential outcome considered. No rash moves would come from this one. This made her a far superior threat to him than Jake, though - and the fact they were not of the same species concerned him as well. He had respect for the winged ones... though his lack of experience dealing with their kind was a huge liability. Everything he did now would have to be done with the utmost care. He did not wish for enemies.

"You're most welcome," he replied graciously to her thanks. "Much like you, I choose not to pay mind to those who wish for me to mind my place. I was appalled by the move McCloud made into the West without being advised, consulted or asked for my consent. As District Leaders charged with the task of keeping the city in order, the neutral territories belong to none of us and all of us. Your kindred, Saraekiel," he gestured at the dark angel admiring his bookshelves, "shared with me the viewpoint that McCloud is a dictator. I wished to discuss the situation with both of you and learn your opinions, respectfully."

He'd been about to finish his statement with the declaration that they were of equal standing, but he wasn't sure about her attitude. He'd heard whispers that she was proud, and he wondered if that had been the reason of her falling. He would never dare to ask, thinking it rude. Nor would he enter her mind and take that knowledge for himself. She was his equal and he would treat her thus, even if she didn't agree. The fact she'd come to his party and was meeting with him now implied that regardless of her opinions, she was a leader enough to investigate potential allies or threats.

There was nothing wrong with pride and superiority anyway.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 11:10:03 AM »
"McCloud's land grab was nothing short of infantile and imperialistic. His motives are nothing more than his own personal gain," Zoheret said matter-of-factly, a pretty little scowl solidly placed upon her beautiful features. "I'm now forced to manage another spike in crimes at the border of my District because McCloud lacks the diplomacy to govern those savages whom call him 'The Black Prince'." She scoffed at the name, despite her attempt to keep her displeasure to herself.

"You must forgive me," she paused, collecting herself and her thoughts with a wry, close-lipped smile. "I'm feeling a bit apprehensive sharing any grievances with an Ancient vampire whom I've only just met, despite a powerful reputation. This city is a cesspool of political betrayal and weakness in which I've been wading since I've come into office. So far I've seen nothing in this city worth building interspecies trust upon, though I'd like to convinced otherwise."

Zoheret took another sip from her beverage and set it back down, leaning contently back into her chair, giving her wings a shift under their glamor. Having engaged with the vampire the night before, she found that he was no longer as unpleasant to look upon. She waited to be convinced.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 01:03:27 PM »
Charon had wanted to discuss what madame Zoheret wanted to do about the West, but the conversation had taken a natural turn towards the other topic he'd wanted to discuss.

"How interesting that you should bring up the idea of interspecies trust. I would like to nurture such a thing, since I have noticed a crevasse growing between the supernatural species since the dismantling of the Oligarchy. The shifters have all but disappeared, the fae have gone back into hiding and McCloud's territory grab has turned a great number of demons against my species - which I find especially disturbing considering they outnumber vampires in this city. I know they have their own clans and such, but imagine them banding together against a common foe. I do not know of any outstanding relationships or agreements you have with any of the clans," he asked, sounding hopeful that Lady Zoheret had managed to negotiate something for herself with them. Her reputation preceeded her, but did demons and dark angels have anything in common? He had no idea.

"This is a bit of a tangent, I apologise, but I have been grooming the young vampire Ben Samson as a diplomat of sorts. My attention first came to him when I learnt of an Academy he was constructing in his formerly-dead sire's name. He'd plans to host all manner of classes within it - theory and practical applications. He has a witch on the staff roll!" Charon informed Lady Zoheret with delight - the only emotion that had been different from his mostly sober tone. "I must betray myself that I have no real knowledge of your kind... though I do not consider than an excuse to disrespect. I have heard that many vampires have done so, and I apologise on their behalf. Obviously such things are borne of ignorance. The Academy is something I would like to see as a connecting point for all of our species. What are your thoughts?"

He realised he'd been excluding the other dark angel from the talk, and he was the reason they were all gathered here in the first place.

"I would love to hear both of your opinions about the Academy. Do you see it as a grand vision for educating all of our constituents, or perhaps you consider it divisive because only a young vampire has had a hand in it so far?"

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 09:58:06 PM »
Saraekiel listened to their conversation with interest, the truth was Charon kind of fascinated him. He had spent very little time with vampires over the years and the few he had come across were either insecure, flamboyant, obnoxious, power grasping show ponies like Jake bloody McCloud or newly turned almost powerless fledges like Sam Rede. Charon was different, he suspected this ancient creature had a patient mind and a long world view who carved his way through the world with a deft and dangerously deadly but light touch. He felt he could learn a thing or two from this one if he played his cards right and if Jake McCloud could be dealt with.

At Charons query he turned towards the group, Ben Samson was one of a very small number of vampires he had heard of, Jake McCloud being another along with Kerr Galvin the former leader of the Oligarchy, he had heard of the Sacramentum clan but not who the members where. Of Charon he had heard nothing, which was what also impressed Sarekiel about him. You didn’t survive millenniums by basking in the lime light, a wise person left that for the fools. The shadows were where the true games were played

“Of all the vampires that stayed after the precious mimic demons left and the Oligarchy collapsed, Ben was the only one who stepped forward and tried to take care of those left behind. He stepped up to the plate during a time of chaos and uncertainty while certain other vampires who demanded and took leadership roles in the city decided to flee, leaving behind their baby fledges to fend for themselves.” He said as he made his way over to them, drink in hand and took his seat.

“As for the academy, I think it is a bold and innovating plan, if it were allowed to work as its founder has planned, but in the light of recent developments I think it is doomed to failure.”

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 02:58:19 PM »
Charon was immensely pleased by Saraekiel’s words until the final declaration. His eyes flicked to Lady Zoheret but his curiosity got the best of him.

“Which developments might those be? I hope you don't think it's because I placed him under the charge of McCloud? I wanted someone on the inside to report on his setup. I would not have selected Ben specifically, except the perfect opportunity arose. I'm sure he will return to me unscathed, armed with a number of observations that will prove useful.”

Charon was quite pleased with having taken advantage of a potentially degrading relationship and turning it in his favour.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 10:37:09 PM »
Saraekiel leaned back into his chair slightly but the sensation of his wings being pressed flat around him made him sit forward again. Backed chairs made him uncomfortable for that very reason, he wondered how Zoheret could stand sitting back so far in her chair and assumed she had trained herself to accepting the discomfort of it, especially in a society that either forgot you had wings or purposely set it up so those with wings would be discomforted. He hoped Charons over site was because of the former and not the later. He resisted the urge to ruffle and shift his wings, instead he raised an eyebrow at Charons statement.

“ In truth I was unaware of Mr Samsons living arrangements and quite frankly it is none of my business or concern.” He raised his hands and placed then on his chin as if he were about to say a prayer and looked down at the floor. His lips brushing the very tips of his index fingers as he considered his words carefully before folding his hands once more in his lap and raising his eyes to Charon’s.

“No, I simply meant that had Mr Samson been left to develop his project unhindered it would have become this Academy for the Supernaturals. However as it stands now most of us think of it as a Vampire Academy. Bringing a witch into the teaching faculty is a brilliant first step to changing that opinion but alas I think with the return of Jake McCloud it maybe too little too late. In fact Sam Rede has mentioned Jake McCloud was planning to build some sort of supernatural learning center called Elysium in his newly claimed district.” He said with a slight grimace and sneer of contempt before tilting his head slightly and giving Charon a considering look.

“You say Ben has hired a witch as a teacher. I say if Jake will steal this idea and if he can find one, he will get them to run this center for him in the hopes of changing his current image as a warmongering tyrant to a caring and benevolent ruler who cares for not just his own new district but the entire collective supernatural community.”

He leaned back again but stopped when his wings touched the back of the seat and smiled at Charon

“No I say Ben's academy is doomed simply because ultimately Jake McCloud cannot allow it to succeed. Not if he wishes to paint himself as the Savior King of the city anyway and I think he has the money and the political connections to speed this Elysium along. Ben's plan is a more honest and honourable one, but it is doomed to fail without some serious help I think.”
He leaned forward again and waited to see what Charon and Zoheret thought of his reasoning. Jake was a threat simply because he wanted to rule and he was laying quick ground roads in that direction. The city was a powder keg waiting to explode and chaos was in the wind but Saraekiel wanted that wind to blow in the direction he desired and Jake bloody McCloud as king was not what he wanted.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 08:44:32 AM »
She watched the men volley and stayed quiet. She saw no need of a vampire academy - vampires had existed for thousands of years without help before, why couldn't they continue to do so now? As for other supernaturals, the idea was preposterous. What could anyone teach an Angel? Surely others aren't expecting Dark Angels to simply teach the Blood Ritual to others for nothing more than a grade stamped at the top of a paper.

"I see both of these projects as nothing more than political masturbation, though I agree with Saraekiel. For District Leader McCloud's hand, however, it seems that he is looking to widen the divide by making the central and western districts a playground for his kind. He's looking to be king of his own kind and dominate the city with his own idiotic versions of vampiric law."

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 11:46:35 AM »
Charon was concerned that neither Dark Angel wished to involve themselves in the Academy. The less ignorant each were of the other's species, the better their relationships with one another could be. Perhaps Madame Zoheret had already decided that the Academy was beneath her interest. A shame, if so. Charon had hoped Ben's idea could be grown and nurtured by all of them.

When the conversation was moved back to McCloud, Charon let the topic of the Academy go. It would become great without them. Perhaps they would change their minds after the Academy was up and running and revealed their lack of vision to them.

"McCloud swings wildly between violent dictator and benevolent ruler. So wildly that I cannot trust him. The extremes are concerning due to their unpredictability. He told me I was his ally two nights before he took the West. He told me nothing of it. He has negotiated with me to support his move but I am not so sure that he can afford it. Openly supporting him forces me to take his side. An alliance with him is one thing, as it would have been working together towards a common goal. Taking his side means working together towards his goal... and I don't know what his goals are. So I am undecided. He is waiting for me to make a public declaration. It might not come."

He was silent for a moment, then added: "You are aware I rule the East District with an open hand? That I do not meddle in anyone's affairs unless they grow violent or indiscreet? As far as I know, your leadership style is much the same, that you do not wish to babysit the supernaturals in this city and respect them to make decisions for themselves. I would prefer the whole city to be ruled in this manner. The North and West were mostly left to their devices without a leader, and they were doing well enough. Now that McCloud has taken the unclaimed West, perhaps he might turn his gaze North as well? That would have your North-West district surrounded by his rule," he pointed out.

Charon was certain Zoheret was intelligent enough to have foreseen this. If Jake made another territory grab on unclaimed land, she would be sandwiched in by him and could potentially lose her hold to Jake's fellowship of vampiric thugs and crooks.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 04:23:31 PM »
Sarekiel wasn’t sure he agreed with Zoherets view of Bens academy at least, not without meeting the vampire and assessing his character further, but if Ben’s actions for the last eighteen months was anything to go by he doubted his motivations were based on political ego stroking like he suspected Jake’s to be. Plus a place where the abilities and weaknesses of the different supernatural races was taught could open the way for certain other types of studying and experimentation to be investigated further down the track. Knowledge was power after all.
However, as the topic turned and moved on to Jake McCloud’s recent land and power grab, he listened with invested interest.

“I wasn’t going to mention anything until my plans had been finalized, but since the topic of territory has now been brought up, I have a solution that might ease both your worries if not your problems and stop any future plans that Mr McCloud has for more land grabbing.”

He turned in his seat slightly so that he could look at both District Leaders and smiled. Playing nice wasn’t entirely needed but it was the quickest way to get what he wanted.

“I will be receiving confirmation from the Mayor or their chosen Council representative in the next day or two, that I can go ahead with numerous property developments that I have planned for the North and North East Districts of the City. Once they were given the go ahead, I had planned to step forward as the District Leader of those areas.”

He looked at Charon and nodded towards him. If he could get Charon behind him, he most likely also had Sabrina. Charon was also the oldest of his kind in the city and a well respected Leader in his own right, with apparently many powerful people behind him who not only supported but also liked the malformed elder. Better to have him for him then against.

“I would have announced my intentions to you both before making any official announcements anyway but since we are here, and the topic has come up.” He raised his shoulder in a slight shrug.

“Before your gala last Night Charon, I would have shared my plans only with Zoheret, but I want us all to get along and as my lands share borders with both of you, not giving you a heads up would not only have been disrespectful but politically stupid. If you think endorsing Jake’s unsanctioned grasp at extra territory is politically unsafe then maybe announcing your support as myself as the District Leader of the North and North East at the same time, would allow you to endorse his move and cement your alliance without having to imply any future political promises or if you are truly displeased with him, his actions and his flagrant disrespect towards you and everyone else, you could just give your support to me alone, sending a clear message that behavior such as his will not be tolerated by the other leaders of the community ; especially if Zoheret stands beside you and endorses me as well.”

He turned his head and looked at Zoheret. His kind were never to be taken for granted, Zoheret might like being the only Angel leader in the city and would prefer to keep it that way, but surely having him as a neighbor was better than having Jake claim the territories and they could be great allies; if they could work together.

“With you and Charon endorsing me as Leader and with Sabrina now in the South, Jake MCCloud will be the one pinned in the middle with nowhere left to go and with another Angel as a District Leader the cities power structure will once again be stabilized evenly, crushing Jake’s dream of a vampiric dictatorship.”

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 11:53:01 AM »
Charon, who didn't want to endorse anyone, kept his polite smile fixed firmly on his face. Endorsing Sabrina had been a favourable move because of her reputation, likeability and the fact not a single faction considered her an enemy. An amazing feat for someone so powerful, and it had impressed him. Endorsing her had meant something.

Now Jake wanted an endorsement and Saraekiel was after one, too. His favour would become meaningless. What was that term Zoheret had used? Political masturbation. Not only that, but not everyone agreed with McCloud's leadership. Openly supporting Jake would mean attracting their ire as well. Same for Saraekiel... he knew very little about him. Only that he was ambitious.

"An interesting prospect," he began. "The North and North-East are roughly the same size as the East, what I hold here. A lot of my territory is wilderness, though - but you would have the trains and roads, plus a lot of warehouse and factory space that lowers the amount of residents you would control. I have to ask, though - and I mean no disrespect - but in the event someone wishes to challenge your claim... what argument would you use to install yourself as leader beyond our endorsements? How am I to answer such a question, when we haven't met before tonight? And how would you police your new territory?"

He kept his voice light and casual, not wishing to cause offence. Saraekiel had surprised him with the desire to rule the North, so perhaps he had a few surprises more.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 07:50:00 PM »
Saraekiel narrowed his eyes slightly as he considered how best to answer.  He was an unknown variable with no ties to the current power houses of the city. The truth was he had never intended nor aspired to be a leader anything. Leadership tied you down, took away your freedom. It came with too many responsibilities and required diplomacy and a political finesse that he didn’t have the patience for; but he would rather lead then kneel at someone’s feet. He felt he had no choice, not really

Perhaps honestly would serve him better than political maneuvering.

“My argument is relatively simple. The way I see it the only viable choice is myself. Another District leader could add the north to their already existing territories, but I believe that would only further destabilize an already fracturing community thanks to Jake McCloud’s recent antics. By claiming the North, I ascertain my own autonomy and freedom and prevent any further territory expansion by other already established leaders. You said it yourself, Charon. Jake McCloud is unpredictable, violently ambitious and ultimately untrustworthy. I at least can promise a more peaceful, stable and cooperative leadership then one that would be provided by the affore mentioned Mr McCloud or a demon constituency; which as far as I can tell are the only other choices available.”

He leaned back into the chair as far as he found comfortable and smiled slightly. “I will be investing quite a bit of money into the North, which in turn will bring revenue to the entire city; hopefully.” He shrugged slightly, business, like politics, could be like the sea; ever changing and unpredictable. “You are right however. The North doesn’t currently offer much in the way of population growth or business opportunity, being mainly made up by low-end warehouses and factories. However, if my new infrastructure plans go through that will change. “

He had yet to receive final conformation and go ahead from the Mayor for his plans and no doubt there might be some environmental issues, but humans were greedy, and he had money to spare. He didn’t foresee too many issues with his plans going ahead.

“As for the endorsement, I don’t need it exactly. The remaining members of the werewolf pack of the North has agreed to stand behind me, their new alpha will answer to me and they to their alpha. They will be my muscle. I also have a long and distinguished relationship with the head of a rather large shifter clan, they will be my new Eyes and Ears. I also have the Dark Wolf Clan in my territory” His lip curled slightly in distaste. The precepts of this misbegotten shifter clan disgusted him, but he was determined they would either work for him and have a place within the north or he would raise their patch of woodland to the very ground.

There was also the Unseelie Sidhe, but those negotiations were still ongoing and very uncertain. He felt no need to mention it

“So, you see, your endorsements aren’t exactly required, I already have the acceptance and backing from the Northern supernatural community to be their leader. However, as I mentioned earlier, I feel taking the North without first informing at least you two would not only be foolish but disrespectful as well, since we are going to be neighbours. And by telling you of my intention before the completion of my plans, rather than just disregarding how my actions might affect you all and doing as I please, I hope I have demonstrated that I am someone whom you could possibly work with and therefore would make a better choice of leader than other less accommodating candidates.”

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 08:57:55 PM »
Charon didn't give away his thoughts on the matter, though he was sure Saraekiel's pleasant yet aggressive speech had been calculated. He'd made a quaint declaration, and when politely challenged, rebutted with a polite show of strength. It was all very civilised, though the means by which the dark angel had taken his power were not.

Werewolves. Fucking werewolves. They couldn't control themselves when the full moon rose. They didn't have specific talents beyond being ordinary people. The only time they had supernatural abilities such as enhanced strength and senses were when their beast took over. THOSE things were Saraekiel's brute force? Who would police them on full moons? And if Saraekiel turned on any of the other District Leaders, how quickly would he be able to raise an army? All he needed to do was (excuse the pun) call out his dogs to scratch and bite and lo, another cursed platoon of soldiers.

He'd lost Risk to the werewolves, who'd destroyed decades of hard work in two nights. And he was still sore about that.

Charon made a murmur of acknowledgement, something that sounded thoughtful. His gaze then flicked to Zoheret. He couldn't see her jumping on board with this, but perhaps Dark Angels stuck together, and if that was the case, Charon saw the necessity of peace - no matter how uneasy or unstable. The city was a fuse waiting for a light.