Author Topic: ALTERNATE: No Risk No Reward  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: ALTERNATE: No Risk No Reward
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2019, 01:50:23 PM »
Jake's words made him feel like a bigot. Ben disliked the implication but he struggled to find a reason to justify it. He blinked his shock when Jake punched the wall and left, and Ben stared wide-eyed at the hole he'd left behind. It wasn't a display of strength so much as a display of how much Ben had managed to piss him off.

Wary that he could be fucking up his chance to be sired and not really wanting this argument to end in this way, he set his book aside and climbed off the bed, cautiously heading out of the bedroom to see where Jake had gone. He hadn't left the apartment, thankfully, and when Ben found Jake in the living room he stared at him a moment, debating whether or not to approach.

He decided to. When he got close enough, he reached out a hand to touch his shoulder.

Offline Billiam

• Novelist
  • Anarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2019, 02:55:54 AM »
Jake rebuffed Ben's attempt to touch him. This wouldn't be solved so simply. He looked at Ben with guilt though. He just wanted to understand why Ben was acting this way. He was more sad than anything else. He'd searched for so long for someone to love, and siring him was an added bonus. He'd begun to doubt if Ben was really the best choice to sire. If he couldn't be a part of Jake's life, which included the Anarchs, could they really be in a relationship? He also didn't want to force Ben to be around his people just to make him happy. This needed to be solved.

He moved to the couch, and indicated Ben should sit with him. Whether Ben sat or not, Jake finally said, "We need to figure this thing out."

His tone was softer than before, more even, but that anger was still there bubbling below the surface. His face showed it, and the fact that he hadn't let Ben touch him was another clue. This moment with the Anarchs brought him back to that night at the fair. It had all changed then. The night that was supposed to bring them closer had seemingly put them on different paths.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Prince~Rebel~Two-Face~Satanist~Spy~Wolf~Huntsman~Priestess~Rodent~

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2019, 10:00:21 PM »
Ben wasn't surprised that Jake shook him off, but it alarmed him that he'd said far too much. He should've faked it, or hung out with Lisa-Joe. She'd seemed alright. Those derisive looks from the other guys that Ben dismissed as common thugs though... that had been too much for him to take.

He moved to the couch when Jake gestured and sat upon it.

"Alright," he agreed, and steeled himself for the conversation that was to come. He had every intention of fixing it and he hoped Jake would believe him. Or maybe he'd even give Jake the truth. It depended how ready Jake was to hear it... he might slip a comment here and there and see how his lover reacted. If he balked, then Ben would retract.

Easy. Just like learning to juggle using knives.

Offline Billiam

• Novelist
  • Anarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2019, 05:27:32 AM »
Jake looked happy to see that Ben was willing to talk about all this, but didn't quite no where to start. He decided to go for the biggest question on his mind. He'd begun to doubt it since they'd bonded.

"Do you love me," he asked, trying not to sound too emotional.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2019, 08:33:56 AM »
Ben hadn’t expected Jake to ask that question. It was pretty shit of him to ask how Ben felt, to not wait the words during a moment when Ben was feeling happiest, warmest, most willing to share... to request those words without saying them himself.

Ben puffed his annoyance and reflected Jake's hurt back at him.

"Why would you ask me that during our lowest moment? Why couldn't you wait for me to say it on my own?"

Offline Billiam

• Novelist
  • Anarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »
He'd replied to a question with a question, and seemingly tried to shift the focus off how shitty he treated people at the Rabbit and onto Jake. The vampire looked saddened by Ben's answer, almost betrayed. The bond confirmed this and he felt embarrassed that Ben was seeing him so vulnerable. His eyes widened and then went cross, cursing unintelligibly under his breath. He looked away, eyes finding a particularity nice spot on the wall. After a few moments, he turned back to look at Ben though, seemingly fighting some urge to disconnect.

"Because when we're at our lowest moment we need to hear that the most." He felt overly romantic and sentimental. He cursed his love for Ben. It had made him so weak, so dependent on the opinion and feelings of another. What was he getting for it? He'd replied to a question with a question, and seemingly tried to shift the focus off how shitty he treated people at the Rabbit and onto Jake.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Satyr

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2019, 06:21:52 PM »
Ben felt that betrayal thrumming on their connection and was angered by it. How fucking dare Jake make demands of love during a time they were supposed to 'work their problem out'. They were supposed to talk about the White Rabbit, not their love for one another. What the actual fuck.

"Fine. Have my forced answer. I like you. I care about you. I'm attracted to you. I don't want us to break up. You can decide if that's love or not. If you want to call it off, just end it. Don't pretend it's because I won't say the words when you demand them from me. They are mine to give. They are not yours to take."

Inside, his heart quailed. He was frightened that Jake would turn around and cast him out, that he'd pushed too far. What had happened to his plan to keep Jake happy? Why had he bitten back at him? Being sired was the most important thing in the world to him, and he was sabotaging that because he didn't want to say the words when Jake wanted to hear them. Seriously, why was he being so fucking stupid? What difference did it make if he said it now and meant it?

He couldn't take his argument back now. It had been said. Saying 'yes' or 'I love you' would feel tainted.