Author Topic: Falling Down the Rabbit Hole  (Read 7552 times)

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Falling Down the Rabbit Hole
« on: March 04, 2019, 05:28:03 PM »
Murphy could remember the last time he’d been woken up in the middle of the night by the sound of his phone, but this was decidedly better that on that occasion. He hadn’t slept quite as much as he would have liked, but on getting the text from Jake, Murphy had rolled out of bed, showered quickly to wake himself up, then headed out to the White Rabbit.

He wasn’t sure why he would answer a summons from someone he’d only met once, who his friend didn’t like, but there was something inside him, pulling him there. It had just been a simple text, but when he’d been waiting for it with baited breath, it was like a glass of water to a man in the desert.

The night he’d met Jake and given him his number, there had been one message from Jake, letting him know his own number and Murphy had responded, saying how much he was looking forward to seeing him again.

Then nothing. He was wondering whether he’d come on too strong, been too keen, too needy.

Murphy was wearing jeans and a dark green plaid shirt over a white t-shirt. His sleeves were rolled up to just below the elbow. His hair was messy, as he’d dried it by rubbing it vigorously with a towel and not bothered styling it, a decision he was regretting as he turned up to The White Rabbit, running a hand through it as he entered.

He hazel eyes cast around the room as he entered, unsure of where he was supposed to meet Jake. The bar was packed, and at this time of night most of those in the bar were already pretty far gone. He’d been in here before, but never in the back rooms, so he wasn’t sure where the entrance was and the place was so busy he couldn’t really see much beyond the rush.

Murphy pulled out his phone and positioned himself at the end of the bar.

By the bar on the ground floor. Where should I meet you? After the text was sent Murphy fidgeted with his phone, turning it in his hand as he cast his gaze around the room, looking for Jake. It had been roughly an hour since Jake’s text and Murphy replying to say he was on his way. He didn’t know whether Jake had already been here, or he’d been on his way from somewhere, or anything. He could feel the butterflies zooming around as he waited and willed them to settle down.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Falling Down the Rabbit Hole
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 05:36:38 PM »
Jake had a busy night. He'd returned from Sabrina's only a few hours ago, and since then he'd seen Lazarus and Charon and now had his final appointment of the night, Murphy. He'd texted Murphy after the day's full events, Sabrina's visit and healing a big part of what gave him the confidence to do it. He didn't know what he expected from the visit other than he just wanted to see Murphy again. He knew he was Ben's best friend, and that the last thing he should do is get involved with someone who increasingly tied him to his rival.

But throughout all the terrible shit that had happened over the last few days, Murphy's image had been the one holding Jake back from the worst of it, protecting his mind as he needed to, and showed him what a possible future might be like. He'd dressed far younger than the last time Murphy saw him. Skinny jeans, a tight yellow t-shirt and a snap back cap completed his casual look, and as he received Murphy's message he worked his way towards the bar.

When Jake saw him he smiled at how cute he looked. His messy hair in particular looked sexy, and he looked a little out of place in the White Rabbit's rougher clientele. Jake moved towards him, unsure of what to say.

"You look nice," he greeted, letting his voice alert Murphy to his presence. He smiled and offered a hand, unsure if it was a shake or the start of a hug. He was hoping for hug.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 05:15:08 AM »
Murphy turned as he heard Jake’s voice and a grin spread across his face at the sight of the vampire. As Jake held out his hand Murphy couldn’t help but step forwards to give Jake a brief hug. He looked younger than the other night, when he’d been in his suit, but despite the youthful outfit and boyish smile, Murphy could still get the sense of age around Jake – obviously older than Ben in life (death?) experience.

“I look a mess, fittingly, like I just rolled out of bed,” Murphy said with a chuckle. “Don’t think I’ll come running every time you text in the early hours, I’m usually really good at playing hard to get,” he added, rolling his eyes to make it obvious he was joking. Right now he didn’t care in the slightest that he’d been woken up in the middle of the night, not when Jake was the one calling.

“I was starting to think you’d changed your mind,” he added, glancing down as he re-rolled one of his shirt sleeves, feeling stupid admitting it. There had just been silence. From Jake, from Ben – and having no one to talk to made that time stretch out that much longer.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 08:09:50 AM »
Jake was thankful for the hug, and didn’t mind the feeling of their bodies pressed together either. He wasn’t sure what his expectations for Murphy were, but he was undeniably attracted to him. Still, he had feelings for another. Could he really invest in Murphy if he was still invested in Lazarus?

But he didn’t need to make those decisions right now. All he needed to do was talk to him, to find out more about him, and maybe to even tell Murphy about himself. After the hug he looked him over, fully convinced that Murphy would look good wearing a burlap sack. He was more handsome then he seemed to think he was, and that made Jake like him all the better.

“I would never dream of summoning you,” Jake said, continuing Murphy’s jest. “But I am glad you came to see me.”

He looked at the downstairs and found it far too crowded. They needed to go somewhere a bit more lowkey. Upstairs was a lounge party. He’d take him there.

“I could never forget you,” he explained in relation to Murphy’s other comment. “It’s just been one hell of a week.”
Jake couldn’t fight his facial expression which showed exactly how tired and overwhelmed he was.

Real smooth Jake. He probably thinks you were trying to ditch him.

“Can I take you upstairs? It’s a little easier to talk up there.”
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 05:34:19 PM »
“Yeah?” Murphy said in a questioning tone, as Jake mentioned his week, wanting Jake to go on and tell him, but Jake moved on to discussing moving upstairs. Murphy glanced upstairs and saw a few groups of people, but it did look a lot more peaceful that down here. He had kind of hoped that because Jake owned this place they might get somewhere with more privacy, but Hell, it was still just their second meeting so maybe public was best.

“Sure, lead the way,” Murphy said with a warm smile, gesturing for Jake to lead them through the crowd. He kept close behind the youthful vampire, gently resting a hand low on Jake’s back in a protective gesture. He’d seen that tiredness in Jake’s eyes, but Jake had still invited him here, so he wasn’t about to start protesting that he should leave because Jake needed to rest.

“How long have you owned this place?” Murphy asked - he vaguely knew the answer, but it seemed like a simple topic whilst they moved. He took a seat on a low sofa, seated sideways with one knee pulled up onto the cushion and resting his arm along the back of it towards Jake.

“Anything about your week you want to tell me about?” he asked once they were settled. He knew from experience that sometimes just venting could help – not always, but sometimes.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 04:43:08 AM »
Jake led Murphy through the crowd and up the stairs. Jake had thought about bringing Murphy down to the residence, but with Lazarus still in custody it was a tangle of scary looking security. He also didn't want Murphy to think this was a booty call, although he thought kissing wasn't off the table. So the upstairs lounge would do. It was the red light district party that Lazarus had first approached Jake at. Lisa-Joe had been right that it was great for business, so now it was a weekly party. The strippers danced to soft music. Some were on polls, others dancing on boxes. Men and women shoved money into their G-strings and a whole section of the club had been set up for lap dances. It was punk smut at it's finest.

Jake was slightly embarrassed he and Murphy would be talking here. Again, he was trying to avoid the hook up vibe. As they walked towards their table Jake answered Murphy's first question. "Well it was Lisa-Joe Hampton's at first, but when I needed a District Headquarters she sold me half. That was just over two years ago. Then we both agreed my fledge Sam should own a share since she's one of the full time managers now. So... I only own a third of the Rabbit these days."

Jake cuddled up next to Murphy on the seat, not afraid to move in pretty close. He liked the way he felt when their bodies were near each other, and as long as avoided sitting in his lap he figured Murphy wouldn't mind. The attraction seemed mutual, if still undeveloped. When Murphy asked what happened that weak, he'd see Jake's face blossom in concern. He didn't know where to begin, what Ben might've already told him, and worst of all, what he'd think of Jake being so weak as to be attacked and raped.

"Did you hear about the trial happening tomorrow for the ancient Lazarus? He raped two people and physically assaulted one of them. This week has been all about that."

He dared not yet tell Murphy Ben was a victim. He feared he'd be blamed for not protecting him, and that then Murphy would leave. 

- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 07:00:11 AM »
Murphy had hesitated slightly at the top of the stairs as he saw what was going on up there. It had been a while since he’d been to a strip club and hadn’t been expecting it here whilst he was trying to have a conversation with Jake. He cast his eyes over a couple of performers as they made their way to the table, but then his focus was solely on Jake.

“I heard about Lazarus’ trial yesterday, well, earlier tonight, the Sacramentum want me there to report, but that’s really all I know about it. I didn’t even know what he’d been accused of,” Murphy said, frowning at the look which came over Jake’s face. They would be sending him more information he needed to be able to carry out some speedy research prior to the trial (who the hell held a trial with only a couple of days preparation time?!) by email, but he hadn't checked it before coming out. Murphy didn't know Lazarus had been staying at The White Rabbit with Jake and Ben, so his mind didn’t immediately leap to Ben being hurt, but that look on Jake’s face…

Murphy’s hand twitched, instinctively wanting to rest reassuringly on the back of Jake’s neck, but if that look on his face meant what he suspected it might, then maybe he wouldn’t want to be touched without instigating it.

Your week has been all about it?” Murphy prompted gently, curiosity on his face without pity since he didn’t know anything for sure and knew better than to make assumptions.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 09:03:03 AM »
Jake nodded sadly in confirmation of what Murphy was alluding too. He hadn't fed since leaving Sabrina's so he didn't blush, but he seemed to get smaller somehow, tuck into himself a bit. Jake didn't know Murphy was a pet of the Sacamentum. He wondered now if Charon had been offended that he'd fed from Murphy at their party. He was going to ask Murphy to cover the trial for all those who couldn't attend so was pleased that he was already planning on it. Now came the difficult part. He had to tell Murphy who the other victim was.

No. He couldn't do that. It was Ben's choice to tell those things or not, but Jake could point Murphy in the right direction. He was a journalist after all.

"I let Ben go the night I captured Lazarus. You should call and check on him."

He looked away, obviously not telling Murphy everything, but hoping it was enough to give him the credit of not trying to hide things. "He hates me more than any person alive or dead I think. I get some of it. We clash. But... and I don't want to talk about Ben, honestly. He just seems to loath my existence all because I kissed Kerr once when I didn't even know Kerr had a boyfriend. Now that I'm hanging out with you, I feel like he's going to hate me for that too. But I like you Murphy. I like you more than I fear Ben's wrath."

Saying the last part felt good, but he was a ball of insecurity and his anxiety at mentioning the incident and Ben had made him look his age for a change. He grabbed Murphy's hand, hoping he'd let him hold it.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 05:33:58 PM »
Murphy stared at Jake as he mentioned Ben, letting what Jake was saying seep into him. He almost didn’t catch what Jake was saying about Ben hating him, but it got through word by word and he took the time to process it.

Ben had been attacked and abused by Lazarus? He’d been sent home to Kerr, so at least he had his family with him, he wasn’t surrounded by people he disliked. A part of him felt like he should leave Jake now and call Ben, but Ben was safe with Kerr and he hadn’t contacted Murphy to let him know, so maybe he just needed space. After something like that – if that was what Jake was saying – Murphy knew not to take it personally that Ben hadn’t told him. He obviously wasn’t top of Ben’s priorities list and Ben… he liked to keep things to himself wherever possible.

Besides, Jake was here now, looking completely lost and alone. Murphy squeezed Jake’s hand gently.

“He told me he didn’t like you, but wouldn’t say why really,” he said with a small shrug. “And I get to make my own choices. If he hates you, well, we just won’t go on any double dates with him and Kerr,” he said, letting the arm which had been on the back of the sofa move down to curl around Jake’s shoulders since he had initiated the contact with holding his hand.

“I’m going to find out all about it tomorrow night. Do you want to tell me more before that?” he asked quietly.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 03:48:34 AM »
Jake was happy for the arm around him, already feeling more like himself to see Murphy wasn't outright rejecting him for what happened. He scooted in closer so that their bodies were touching, although not in a directly sexual way. Two dancers climbed up onto their table and began to show off. Jake looked embarrassed and turned to Murphy.

"They gotta make their money," he explained, slipping each dancer a twenty and telling them there was more if they got some privacy now. They complied, looking sad they wouldn't be giving the two hotties before them lap dances.

Jake thought the idea of a double date with Ben and Kerr to be hilarious. It would be a disaster, with Kerr and Murphy probably shaking their heads as Jake and Ben fought viciously. He was relived to hear that for Murphy his conflict with Ben was not a deal breaker. He wanted something to come out of this... whatever it was.

"Well, I know we only met the one time before this, but during this week when shit got really bad, I kept thinking of you and it made me feel better. I hope that's not weird. You've been in my thoughts all week. I'm sorry I didn't text you sooner. I thought... I thought you wouldn't like me if you knew what happened."

Jake felt shame, and guilt for the confusion that he'd caused Lazarus. Then there was Lazarus himself, and while Jake accepted they would not likely end up together he still had feelings for him. Was it fair to pursue Murphy now? He didn't know and for the moment didn't care. Murphy was here, and Jake didn't want him to go.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 06:53:23 AM »
Murphy raised a slight eyebrow as the dancers came to try to join them and Jake sent them away. This was definitely not where he would have chosen to have this conversation – on a different occasion the entertainment might have been titillating, but not right now.

His gaze returned to Jake as the youthful looking vampire went on to speak about his feelings, ignoring Murphy’s query about what had happened, but knowing better than to push it. Instead of lingering on what had happened he focused on Jake explaining his feelings over the past week. He didn’t know exactly what had happened, but he knew where he wanted to be right now.

“Hey, this is not your fault,” he said, cupping Jake’s chin gently and turning the youth’s face in his direction so their eyes met. “I’m glad I could get you through this, if it helped.” It was weird to think he was Jake’s bint of light during a dark time, but it gave him a warm glow inside as he was pleased his own concerns could be negated.

“Do you need me to help with anything before tomorrow?” Murphy knew he should stay opinionated, unbiased, that was what a reporter should be, but when Jake was curled up in his arms, he wanted to help him however he could.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 07:14:15 AM »
Jake let his chin be led, feeling more and more comfortable with his companion. Murphy was very calming and nurturing and it increased his sense of trust. He did have one thing Murphy could do. He was pretty sure he'd say yes, but was still nervous to ask. He laid his head on Murphy's shoulder, liking the way their bodies were folding together.

"I know you're there to work tomorrow, but when you can, could you sit next to me? Otherwise, I don't think anyone will be there for me, so to speak. Like Ben is bringing Kerr, my daughter Sam will have her friend Maria. Oh. I almost forgot. She's involved in all this too. I was a very bad sire and while I think we're going to be okay I owe her an apology."

It was a lot of words and his ideas just seemed to flow together. It was anxiety, but also still talking about anything other than what happened. Murphy was already going to have to hear all the grizzly details tomorrow. There was no need to rake himself over the emotional coals twice. "And can we talk about you for a while. I would love to hear all about your life."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 08:28:18 AM »
“Oh, sure,” Murphy said, a little surprised at the request, but he was pleased to know Jake thought enough of him to want him there beside him. “I’d like that.”

He wanted to ask about what happened with Sam, what Lisa-Joe was going to be doing, but Jake very clearly steered the conversation away from asking any questions.

“Ok, well, where to begin?” Murphy launched into telling Jake about his life, from losing his mother as a baby, growing up in the city, skirting around the troubling upbringing he’d had when his father had neglected him for large chunks of time, but revealing more than he usually told people so soon. He didn’t know why, but sitting here with Jake resting against him, he felt relaxed and open.

He explained about his studying away from the city, his discovery of supernaturals, his being hired by the Sacramentum, and the crumbling of the Oligarchy by his hand. When Jake asked questions Murphy let him and answered them, weaving them into his tale.

He showed Jake his Risk tattoo on his wrist, explaining how he’d been considering adapting it into something else, and the scar on his ankle, which got them a teasing comment from a passing dancer that they weren’t supposed to be the ones stripping.

Murphy told Jake about how his father had died roughly eighteen months ago, but didn’t mention the debt which had been left behind. Ben had offered to help and Murphy had accepted - after it had been paid they hadn’t spoken about it again.

“Then a few nights ago, I met this gorgeous guy, who for some reason is more than happy to just listen to me blather on about myself for so long. You’re going to have to reciprocate at some point. That’ll definitely take more than a couple of hours,” he said as he played with Jake’s hair. He was comfortable in the position they found themselves in, with Murphy’s back against the arm of the sofa with a leg propped up on the sofa and the other hanging off, with Jake’s back against his chest, leaning against him and one of Murphy’s arms around him.

“You bored of me yet? I mean, now you know everything about my past, what else is there?”

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 03:21:45 AM »
Jake listened to all of what Murphy had to say, enjoying hearing about his human life. He found it all very interesting, as he often only dealt with humans in certain settings. He was far enough away from being human himself to forget what it was like to go through those kinds of struggles, and he felt more connected to the humans of this era after listening.

Jake mixed in a few comments about himself when similar or applicable to Murphy’s tale, specifically, that his mother also died when he was very young, and that his father had been obsessed with the title his family once held, and neglected him expect when he was grooming him for a position that no longer existed.

Jake expressed his condolences for Murphy’s father and couldn’t fight the urge not to kiss his hand as he talked about it. Jake didn’t have many positive father figures, and Murphy’s sounded like a mixed bag at best. Was this another thing they had in common?

Jake asked lots of questions. He didn’t want to miss a detail, and was glad Murphy was happy to answer them. The same sense of openness and relaxation Murphy was experiencing Jake felt too, the human’s heartbeat creating a soothing metronome against his back, and his warmth radiating through Jake’s room temperature body. Was this what it felt like to be safe?

When Murphy showed his risk tattoo, Jake flashed his Oligarch tattoo, located on his lower neck, a shirt collar often covering it. He told Murphy he was also thinking of having it changed and suggested they go together. That way he could also get Sabrina’s approval. He should’ve done that last time too. 

He could get used to having Murphy Hilton at his side, talking about his life, listening to Jake talk about his. There was no great drama or chaos that united them like his relationship with Lazarus. That had been all about power; the dance for control. It had been exciting and exactly the kind of man Jake thought he needed. However, as he sat here, simply happy to be with this other person he realized that danger and thrills were his past, and Murphy was, “the future.” The line had been in response to Murphy’s statement of course, but Jake was happy for the double meaning, and leaned his head back, putting their lips within range of one another.

“And you’re the gorgeous one you know, and I can’t give you my whole life in a brief history but I can give you some highlights.”

He wanted to show Murphy he was willing to open up and share, maybe not about the last few days, but in general Jake wanted him to know who he was and for the human to like him in spite of it. He started with what little he remembered of being a mortal, some of the amnesia being time, the rest likely trauma. He talked about how beautiful his sire was, dear Sophie, and how she was ended before Jake was even Ben’s age in vampire years. He talked about spending his youth in London under the tutelage of a clan elder named Mithras.

Murphy would feel Jake tense as he talked about his old master. Jake chose to skip a lot of the messy details and summed up their relationship as, “he wanted me to be him one day. I wanted something else.” He told him a daring story of how he escaped and moved to America, his time in New York, and how he’d gotten mixed up with the Anarch movement. He ended by telling him about his first few years in the city. He spoke about the first time he met Lazarus and Kerr, how Kerr helped him end the Sabbat and how he’d become an Oligarch.

“And then I met this totally gorgeous guy and am laying on him and I won’t lie. It feels great.”

He looked at Murphy, eyes big and doe like. “Any questions?” He laughed, assuming their might be a few.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 09:14:14 AM »
Murphy was more than happy to listen to as much of the story as Jake was willing to tell him, and he asked plenty of questions throughout that telling. He squeezed Jake’s shoulder as he learnt of him losing his sire so early. Obviously Murphy hadn’t gone through becoming a vampire so he could only imagine the bond between a sire and fledge, but Ben had described it and it sounded so much more intense than his relationship with his father had been. It felt bad to think it, but losing him had been a kind of relief.

He could feel the difference in Jake’s body as he described his time in London. There wasn’t a lot of information given, but Murphy took whatever he could get. Ben was lucky he’d found Vincent to train him in Kerr’s absense. He sounded like a pretty good guy, but Jake’s tutor... well, the lack of information probably told him more than a few words would have.

As Jake came to the end of his story, Murphy sat quietly for a short time, mulling it over until Jake’s question came.

“I think you’ve answered most of the ones I could come up with tonight, i’m Definitely going to prepare some questoins for next time though,” he said with a grin as Jake twisted in his arms. He glanced up, suddenly thirsty from all the talking, and realised that the crowd had thinned considerably over the last few hours.

“You’re going to have to go to rest soon, aren’t you?” He asked, unable to hide the disappointment in his voice. He’d heard that older vampires could stay up longer and wake up earlier, as long as they were inside, but Murphy didn’t know how old one would have to be before that started kicking in. “I wish we could just stay like this,” he added, retuning his gaze to the vampire in his arms before leaning closer to kiss him softly, hesitantly, ready to pull up if Jake showed the slightly indication he was uncomfortable with it.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 02:16:39 AM »
Jake was happy to receive the kiss, and let Murphy lead as far as depth and intensity, matching himself to the human who's arms he found himself in. It was wet and filled with all the tiny sparks that Jake had hoped would be there. It felt unlike any kisses he'd had recently - including all of those with Lazarus- and once more the deep pull from the blood urged him to be near this man. What did it mean? It was like, his heritage and clan were trying to tell him something. Was Murphy the kind of man who'd make a good Ventrue. Yes. He was. Was that what the pull meant? The kiss ended, and Jake already wanted another.

"I do have to sleep soon, and I'm excited because it should be a nice day's sleep. I'd invite you to come stay the day with me, but I'm sure that's a little forward. I just like the idea of you sleeping next to me."

He felt embarrassed to say that, and moved his sheepish expression away from Murphy's gaze. Murphy would still be able to see it all though. Jake was a man who was very much in like, with the potential for more buried in his boyish face.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 03:01:56 AM »
As Jake showed himself to be receptive to the kiss, Murphy deepened it, initially just letting his lips caress Jake’s, then parting them to explore further. His fingers drifted up, disposing of Jake’s hat so he could run his fingers through his hair. It had been so long since he’d let himself enjoy being this close to someone, there hadn’t really been anyone who piqued his interest for ages. It was exhilarating to have that feeling and be able to embrace it like this.

He gave a laugh as Jake mentioned the thought of them sleeping together, not at the idea of it, but at the look on Jake’s face.

“I’m sure I’ll be needing a nap before tomorrow night, but I wouldn’t be able to sleep the day away. And I’ve got stuff to do to prepare before the trial,” Murphy said, wishing that he could just curl up beside Jake and spend the daylight hours with him.

“I would definitely like to take you up on that another time though, I like the idea of it too.” Murphy was enjoying the thrill of getting to know someone knew, whom he felt this attraction to, but was completely oblivious to the depth of Jake’s pull towards him or any potential reasoning behind it.

“Maybe after the trial, I could come back here with you, depending on what happens, who you’re feeling?” Murphy suggested, opening himself up as Jake had some with a perhaps too forward offer.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 03:08:04 AM »
Jake would've loved to just take Murphy home and cuddle after the trial, but he knew that couldn't happen. He had a date with his first born and he owed her his undivided attention.

"Maybe the day after the trial," he countered. "I need to spend some quality time with my fledge. She and I had a fight and I want to make it up to her."

He hoped Murphy would understand, and moved to disengage their embrace, although he didn't want to.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 03:37:33 AM »
“Oh, of course, sure. I hope everything goes ok with her,” Murphy said, wanting to ask what the fight had been about, but also respecting the privacy of the sire/fledgling relationship.

“You just let me know when you’re ready and I’ll be there. I’ll keep the night after free” Murphy said with a grin. He had work to do anyway, but it was just so tempting to want to spend more time here.  Murphy stood up once Jake had moved aside, straightening his shirt which had become quite rumpled from sitting under Jake.

He reached down to offer Jake a hand to help him up as well, wanting to pull him into a final embrace  before he had to leave him alone for the day.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 03:43:34 AM »
Jake took the hand and would get pulled into the embrace, resting his head on Murphy's shoulder one last time. The vision he saw at Sabrina's returned, and he saw himself offering to sire him. Would they reach that point? Would it dissolve before then? He didn't know. He just knew in this moment he thought his vision might truly be prophetic, and he thought about he, Sam, and Scott adding to their family. He would ask Murphy about if he was even interested in such a thing after the trial, and maybe a few more dates. This meeting had been a good step forward.

"Thanks for coming by. You have no idea how much I needed this."

And the idea of killing himself slipped away. He would fix things with Sam. He would find a way to deal with Lazarus. He would find a middle ground or appropriate distance from Ben. Most of all, he would bring Murphy into his life. Having mentors like Charon, warmth like Sabrina and Lisa, love from Sam and Scott and now a new interest in Murphy told Jake he had plenty of reasons to live, even if life got hard sometimes. He would want one more final kiss, just to dream about during the day. He went for it slowly, giving Murphy the opportunity to take it or leave it. Then he'd say his goodbyes and head to the Rabbit Warrens, the trial just on the other side of this nightmare free sleep.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 04:28:37 AM »
“Happy to help,” Murphy said quietly, letting himself relax into Jake’s final embrace, feeling like a teen who had just spent the night making out with their crush. It was a heady rush and one he was keen to repeat.

They headed back downstairs with their fingers entwined and parted, both with regret. Murphy headed home more slowly than he’d made his way there. He stopped off at a fast food place for breakfast, then home to start work for the day.