Author Topic: A Trial for the Centuries - The CW Districts vs. Lazarus  (Read 33730 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: A Trial for the Centuries - The CW Districts vs. Lazarus
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 01:57:06 AM »
When Murphy got up to leave, Jake waved shyly, and said, “Hi Murphy. See you later.” Now his attention returned to Ben.

Well, he’s not screaming at me. That’s a start.

“Hello Ben. Thank you for agreeing to be here today.  I apologize for the interruption but I’d like to speak to you backstage or in an area more private then this. It’s about the case, otherwise I wouldn’t bother you. Do you have a moment?”

Jake had decided to be polite, factual but to not get sucked into any enactments with Ben. he had larger fish to fry and wouldn’t let personal distaste get in the way of the trial and the case being handled well.

Lisa-Joe had been grateful for Seb’s help prepping, and had rewarded him for it as much as he had liked. She was growing to used to having him around, and had forgotten what it was like to have someone in her corner. She had Jake's. Seb, it seemed, had hers. She thought all this, and kissed him again in quiet thanks. She listened to his questions, and had to fight the urge to  tense at hearing the defendant's name.

“He’s being brought by Sabrina and our security forces. She assured Jake she could make sure Lazarus behaved today and since he had to be here to set up it was agreed she would go to the White Rabbit and accompany him over. No funny business. As to his behavior, Jake was pleased, but Jake is softer than he looks. He actually cares for people more than he’d want you to know.”

She snickered at telling Seb this little secret. “I on the other hand don’t forgive as easy. May I ask, what would you do in Jake’s position? Would you spare him or roast him?”   
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 04:26:39 AM »
“I’ve been tried and put to death for less. Twice,” Seb said, his blue eyes twinkling for a moment before a more sombre look came over him, which would be something Lisa-Joe hadn’t really seen on him as he gestured towards the filling auditorium.

“A lot of people here have faced death and for some it would have been horrendous. I would always choose life over killing and putting anyone through that. I spent a considerable amount of my early years as a vampire trying to save people, probably some who didn’t deserve it.

“Mortals wouldn’t put someone for death for something like this. Are we living up to the stereotype and being more savage than them? If he repents, if he doesn’t seem to be a danger to anyone else, then no, I don’t think he should be put to death. But it’s not up to me.”

He lifted a cool hand to caress her cheek. “I’m not trying to change your mind. We have different histories, you need to fight for what you think is right. Just make sure you have straight in your mind what is right, not act on impulsion, however tempting it might be.”

Murphy slung his bag over his shoulder, glancing back at Ben and Jake. He wanted to stay and listen, but they weren’t yelling at each other and it seemed like there was no place for him in this conversation.

He moved forwards in the auditorium, initially intending on going to fiddle with his mics (needlessly, they were fine) but he paused when he spotted Kerr and Ichabod near the front. Nope, he didn’t fancy having a polite chat with Kerr tonight.

“Oh, sorry,” Murphy murmured to someone who brushed past him on their way to get to a seat and he stepped out of the aisle, finding a spot quickly and settling down again. Jake has said he wanted them to sit together, but he’d disappeared now. Murphy was sure that Jake would find find if he wanted to.

Ichabod gave a soft smile as Kerr kissed his hand and nodded as Kerr explained his thoughts. He hadn’t spent much time with Ben since all of this had happened, but he could see the concern on his sire’s face at thinking of his brother. Everything had been such a mess for so long, was there ever going to be an end to it?

His smile faltered slightly at the mention of James and he gave a small nod.

Yes, he’s home. He needs to work and study and… I don’t know whether it’s going to last much longer. He’s got a good future ahead of him after his exams, he probably won’t stay in the city. Not that long ago Ichabod had been considering leaving with him, but for what? To trail after James, to get in his way when he could soar so far on his own? And now Kerr was back and Ben was… well, Ben was Ben. Trouble seemed to follow him around like a shadow. Kerr shouldn’t have to deal with that by himself.

What does he want to happen here? What do you want? he asked. He hadn’t been a part of most of the conversations about the trial and hadn’t wanted to intrude. What might they do? Lock Lazarus up? Ichabod knew he would definitely feel safer with the blonde off the streets, but could anyone hold him for long?

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 07:17:12 AM »
"Backstage," Ben agreed, then gestured for Jake to lead the way. He followed him, passing Kerr and Ichabod and looking at them, holding up the peace sign and mouthing 'two minutes' before he was in a private space with Jake. He wondered if Jake wanted to know what Ben was going to say tonight.

Because he had plans.

Conversation Interlude RP

After speaking with Jake, Ben returned to the front row and sat beside Kerr, putting a hand on his leg and not really noticing how Ichabod and Kerr were clutching one another, though he did look past Kerr at Ichabod and gave a little shrug to indicate he had no idea what was going on. He didn't, really. He'd just let this bullshit play out, and afterwards, he and Ichabod and Kerr would have to have a serious talk.

About Murphy.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 05:09:11 PM »
Jake moved forward through the side hallways, as to not pass through the house again. He headed around, towards the lobby before ascending the steps to where the box seats were. He decided to see Zoheret first since he hadn't spoken to her at Charon's party. Charon and he could communicate mentally if needed, but he wanted to further his goal of being open, transparent and wanted to show he could play nice with other districts. He wore a pleased grin almost all the way to the Dark Angel, but dropped it to a more neutral one as he approached her from behind.

"Lady Zoheret, thank you for coming today. It has been quite some time. I'm honored by your presence. How was Greece?"

He bowed politely to the pair of women, trying to make this go as well as it could. He wondered if she had any advice to give. Just because she wanted his head on a spike didn't mean she had no good ideas. He might ask her.

Lisa listened as Seb talked, respectfully nodding. She had no idea who this man was yet, and just now a small piece fell into her lap. She held him and her thoughts went to beating the shit out of whoever had put him up for death. But then, she heard him talk about  knowing what's right versus acting on impulse. He was right of course, and Lisa-Joe knew she had a tendency to break a nose first, ask questions later. However, this was not one of those times.

"I respect your opinion, and thanks for telling me about your past. I won't lie. I can't stand people who do what he did. It's even harder that he did it in my home and I should've stopped him."

There it was. She felt guilty for what happened, even to Ben. She took her thoughts a step further.

"But... I'm here to prosecute. I'm gonna focus on that, and let Jake decide what punishment he should face if he's guilty. Can I enjoy prosecuting him though? I can't help that." She kissed Seb's hands. "Let's go check the loading dock for the last arrivals."
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 06:15:57 PM »
Maria gave a smile at Sebastian's introduction, she did not keep him long, giving him directions to Lisa-Joe's private quarters for the time being. Continuing her faithful watch at the theatre, not staying in one spot for too long to get a better view of the audience. Two Dark Angels arrived taking place in the box above, never thought she see their kind again, let alone two. This city was full of surprises, good and bloody bad, she took note of the two and they did not seem so evil as others in her past. Slowly scanning the room before resting on Jake and Ben, they seem to be leaving for now. Blending in the background with dignity as she strolled about, more had come to within the audience, turning her attention to Sam once more.

Maria did not go to Sam, she had done well hiding in the background and it was how Sam wanted it for now. Sam needed to think and prepare alone, the urge to sit with Jake was strong. She had seen Murphy with Jake and it stabbed Sam a little, it would be better if she sat next to him after her testimony. To show everyone even after his terrible mistake Sam would give him another chance. Jake was trying before Lazarus came along and it was for that reason she came. So long as Jake was trying and helping himself she would continue to help him. The minute he stopped helping himself Sam would no longer help him and that was final. Closing her eyes to help calm her mind not wanting to draw attention to her little corner of solitude.

Something witchy caught Maria's eye, turning her head at the direction of the lovely lady in the leather jacket. Maria had met more witches in her short time back in the city than at the medical school, human it seemed, a fresh sight. Maria turned her direction down the aisle closing in the distance between the two. However, Maria would not engage and gave the human witch a welcoming smile, returning to her duties as Keeper of Elysium. It was nice to see another friendly witch, unlike that cursed necromancer that she encountered. Seeing at this time Jake had returned and approached the female Dark Angel, her name was Zorheret. She controlled one of the districts in the city, her time with Jake to prepare was short but still useful.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 11:59:33 PM »
This was a vampire's affair, Astrid realized, finishing a quick sketch of the journalist.  He was something caught between two webs--interesting.  Licking her right thumb, she rubbed the small smear of dried blood from her left temple.  The spell had only lasted enough for her to get in, and she now thought it wasn't the best idea to keep blood on her face in a room full of vampires.  So she had stumbled into a grand opportunity to get a crash course in some of the city's more notable residents.  Great.

Her attention turned to the seated trio, bound by blood, and filled another page with sketch lines.  They were all good looking, as vampires usually were, and anxious for this--yes, it was to be a trial--to start.  This though was a vortex, weaving in and out of one another, loss and return, mourning and joy.  The restless dragon, the reluctant pawn and...cub?  Too many messages attempting to come through.  Flip.

Drunk.  Human life filled with pain, drugs, alcohol.  This one she drew taking a swig from his flask.  Flip.

A chill passed through her, again, as an ethereal creature walked through the theater, human assistant keeping pace behind.  A quick sketch of her moving captured a look of displeasure.  This was Pride, fallen from Grace, the very image of beauty enough to make Astrid's pulse quicken.  Dragon tattoo.  Bloody feathers.  Flip.

Another cold one with piercing eyes.  Heavy with scars and suffering--but with a respite now.  Drawn with legs crossed and a brooding gaze.  A tower.  Flip.

This dead one--she paused, watching as he came from backstage, picked his way through the aisles, found who he sought and went backstage yet again.  A tarnished crown, contested and precariously placed.  This one, along with the pawn, were at the center of this vortex.  His portrait held the hint of a sneer.

The witch exhaled, capped the pen for the moment and shrugged off her leather jacket, revealing a loose-fitting plain black teeshirt underneath.  A headache was beginning to creep its way behind her eyes.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 03:06:45 AM »
Kerr was saddened to hear that Ichabod's time with James was potentially ending. He could feel the pain behind Cub's admission. Was it really just that his exams would take him out of the city or did their enforced isolation at Penbrook contribute? Had it caused a rift? Coping with death threats that put your life on hold couldn't be easy for a mortal; it hadn't been easy on any of them.

He raised his eyebrows at Ben as he walked away with Jake, signalling he wouldn't be long. Christ. Those two disappearing together might mean things were starting soon... but all new and less beneficial things could also start if the two of them were left alone for any length of time. He turned back to Ichabod.

I'm sorry about James, he said, sending a sensation of regret with his thoughts. Before he answered Ichabod's next questions, he turned to regard the stage area ruminatively, imagining the beings that would soon grace it and unable to sum up the complexities of their desired outcomes succinctly, without a bit of thought. We both want to see justice fairly served. I'm doubtful it will happen, Ben's determined to make it happen. We'll see.

He turned as Ben walked back to him, surprised that his predicted timeframe had been adhered to. A lot could happen in a short amount of time. There didn't seem to have been blood drawn, though he was curious about what Jake had wanted. He untangled a hand and covered Ben's on his leg, enjoying the proximity of both his fledglings. If only everything could be as simple as being with the people you loved without any threats interfering. Threats like those they'd face here tonight.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 04:42:17 AM »
Murphy glanced along the row he was sat in and spotted a young woman drawing. He hadn’t spotted Jake returning yet, he’d been trying to keep an eye out since Jake had said he wanted to sit with him, but it was getting hard to see through the crowd and he didn’t have the mental abilities to search out the person he wanted. One day hopefully he would.

For now, he sidled along the row, taking a seat one away from Astrid so he wouldn’t be crowding her.

“Hey, that’s really good,” he said, catching a glimpse of her art and recognising Jake as the focus of it. He didn’t like the look on the vampire’s face in it, but that’s didn’t take away from the fact that she was talented.

“Were you planning on doing more during the trial?” he asked with interest. He had assumed that like a human court, no photos would be allowed, but maybe a picture to go with his article would be possible, if she was willing.

Seb raised an eyebrow as Lisa-Joe finally admitted what was really bothering her most about this whole affair.

“You weren’t to know, and he’s got over a century on you, you couldn’t have stopped him,” he said, squeezing her hand gently before a broad smile came over his face at her query.

“You deserve to enjoy it, knock them dead, kitten,” he said with a chuckle, leaning in to kiss her after she’d pressed her lips to his hands, then gesturing for her to lead the way to the loading dock to assist when Lazarus arrived. He would take a seat when it all kicked off, but for now he wanted to help make sure everything was running smoothly.

Ichabod felt a stab of pain as he felt Kerr’s reject. Everything good just seemed to slip away as he grasped it and tried to keep it safe and close. He couldn’t ask James to stay, he didn’t have anything to offer him if he managed to get a job elsewhere, but maybe he’d stay.

At least now he had the Academy to focus on, discussing that more with Ben over the last few days (to help distract them all from what had happened) had been exciting and Ichabod had all sorts of plans. Hopefully that wouldn’t fuck up as well.

He helped me get through losing you, that was hard. Maybe we can get through him moving away, but I don’t want to hold him back.

He gave a small nod at Kerr’s answers to his questions. They were pretty vague, but Ichabod no idea how he’d feel in this situation, or what he would want to happen. With Sabrina overseeing maybe there’s more chance at justice than if Jake or one of his people was doing it. She’s not exactly a fan either though, so… Ichabod gave a shrug. He had no idea what was going to happen, but they couldn’t kill Lazarus for it, surely.

Ichabod glanced towards Ben as he returned to them. Looked like he was just as clueless about this as they were. He didn’t seem quite as pissed off as he had been earlier though, so that had to be good. Generally anything to do with Jake made Ben angry, so Ichabod was curious about what had happened back there.

You should never have had to go there, he sent to Ben, without blocking Kerr out. It was a pointless comment, but ture. That was what had caused all of this.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 08:20:21 AM »
Ben could hear the buzz of telepathic thought as he returned to his seat but as soon as he was settled, Ichabod addressed him as well. He nodded, unable to contain his escaping thought;

I couldn't really refuse Charon.

He looked up at the box where Charon sat, but he'd already forgiven the ancient for putting him in that viper hole. He'd only wanted someone to learn about Jake's operation. He hadn't foreseen this drama. He wondered what Charon thought about it all.

Charon was rather delighted with the theatrical quality of the court. What was a trial other than a performance? Initially he'd wondered why Jake would bother, but now he believed that Jake was poking fun. The young vampire had a sense of humour. Now that he was sitting here waiting for the show to start, he'd changed his mind about the necessity of a trial. If Jake had dealt with things privately, then Charon wouldn't have anything to watch in person. He'd have to rely on memories.

He moved slightly towards Jeanne to indicate he was going to speak with her. It's a shame we don't have a mortal between us for refreshments, he said. Jeanne would get a sensation of popcorn-eating-humans-at-the-movies from Charon, mingling with his message.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 08:54:43 AM »
Astrid watched the journalist approach from the corner of her eye, appreciating the respectful space of a seat between them when he sat. 

“Thanks.”  She said flatly, flipping to a fresh page. 

Had she intended on sketching more throughout the trial?  Well, certainly if other players arrived on the scene.  She was interested in learning what the pen had to reveal about them.  The journalist wouldn’t know any of that--she suspected he was interested in her sketches for his article that he would be undoubtedly be writing. 

“I could.”  She answered thoughtfully, if not leadingly.  For a price, of course.  It was still work.  Though she hadn’t brought a bigger sketchbook or other mediums, so it would be in black pen and she would have to rip it from her small notebook.  Not that there was anything wrong with that, it just wasn't ideal.

“I’m Astrid.”  The witch reached her right hand out for a shake.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 09:56:34 AM »
Zoheret had purposely gone out of her way to have as little contact with District Leader Jake McCloud as possible. Barring the rare inter-District dispute in which all of the leaders were involved or at least acknowledged via email - like Ben's little electronic outburst the night that this tomfoolery had happened - she had made sure to never bring anything to the young vampire. The night that the Oligarchy had dissolved, Jake had made his thoughts of her quite clear in a way that had resonated with the Dark Angel in a pervasive way. Even when the West was 'won', nothing but silence greeted the young devil from the offices of District Leader Zoheret, and that was the way that she would have preferred to keep it.

Now this little monster strolled his way up to her without invitation. His boldness knew no bounds and she had half the mind to teach him a lesson. It was bad enough that she had to sit through this circle of self-pity, self-exposure, and self-imposed idiocracy, but now he wanted to play nice? It was less than amusing. That he knew she had come back from Greece so recently was extraordinarily unexpected, her vacations usually a tightly kept secret amongst her staff. Someone must have allowed this information to reach Jake's ears. That someone would know pain.

Her lips were pressed tight into a forced smile. "Greece was as it always is: timeless and beautiful," she said shortly, wishing to not continue useless small talk with someone she would rather see burned at the stake. "What shall we expect to see tonight, District Leader McCloud? Justice for Benjamen and yourself, I presume?" Her tone was leading, inferring that Jake already knew how this trial would end even before it began.

---

Damien noticed the nod that McCloud had given him as he walked by, finding it odd that he was being acknowledged in the first place. Grey eyes followed the young District Leader with a quizzical gaze as McCloud found Kerr Galvin's older fledgling. He watched the actors disappear behind the curtain. Bored with this anticipation, Damien took out his phone and scrolled through first his unread emails, then to his text messages to a recent conversation with Rachel. His thumbs flashed over the letters of a new message to his lover.

The show has yet to begin. Lestat has only just entered the theatre now.

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 12:21:16 AM »
The difficulty, Kerr said to Ichabod (before he addressed Ben and the comment about how all of this might have been avoided was thought), is that I feel Lazarus absolutely deserves to die. He just doesn't deserve to die for this.

~*~

Jeanne raised one eyebrow at Charon, giving her best haughty, disapproving look. She sensed his amusement and it was well received, even if she appeared disdainful. Compelling one of the mortals in the gallery below to take up position in the box as Charon suggested would be simple to do. She was aware of the optics of that, however, and knew that they couldn't partake in such a public forum. Their fellow audience members might feel they were not giving the process the gravitas it was due.

Very few people understood her grand-sire's sense of humour or could appreciate his gratitude for things happening. In her one and a half millennia, even she had grasped the value of the new and exciting. Trials like this certainly didn't come about every night! They couldn't be obvious about enjoying themselves; even when they did.

Subtly, Jeanna drew her handbag across her lap and unzipped it, spreading the sides open so that Charon might view its contents. Inside were two snack baggies of blood, wrapped in warming contraptions she'd bought from the internet. There was a bag for her and one for Charon, just in case.

I already thought of that, she replied austerely, her stiff manner starting to crack as her amusement leaked into their blood bond - not that Charon didn't practically know her every thought before she even had it. Her gaze scanned the crowd below, trying to ascertain if anyone was paying particular attention to the pair of them or not. They even have straws! she imparted excitedly.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2019, 02:41:00 AM »
Drew saw the sketch artist, and liked her overall look. It was about time someone with a little personality entered. All these carbon copy vampire twinks were getting boring, and he'd only learned a bit about them. The two people everyone kept staring at were McCloud and Ben, and let Drew know that while this trial was about a dude named Lazarus - vampires seriously chose the dumbest fucking names to sound cool - this whole shindig was about those two.

Drew took another swig, and turned his gaze back to the opera boxes. The Grey Duke was currently talking to an ethereal and dark looking being. The woman was gorgeous but gave the young vampire the hebbie-jebbies, and McCloud seemed to be paying this visit out of obligation not pleasure. Drew turned to the other opera box again and looked at the woman with the shade. They seemed to be speaking. He kept his eyes on the ancient woman, hoping to draw her gaze. It might get the shadow to look at him too, and if that was Charon, Drew wanted the man to know that he existed, even if they didn't speak today. He pulled out his phone and constructed a short text.

Hey Lasagna, near your place. Miss you. Come by later?
Send.

Despite the house filling up, nobody sat next to the hulking man. Some looked intimidated, others saw the flask, and others still just saw a person who looked like he didn't like small talk. Drew was bored though and wanted to make something happen. He rose with some difficulty and headed towards the journalist and the sketch artist.

Journal Entry
Journalist: Kind of hot, seems nice, keeps looking for McCloud based on initial eye contact and now subsequent searching. Open seat next to him is being saved. Engaged woman sketching. Trying to get her to help him most likely.

Sketch Artist: Quiet, watchful, the other observing eye in the room. Wonder if she's as good at it as I am. Like her look. She's got style.

Drew plopped down into a seat on the other side of the artist, still letting a seat exist between them as Murphy had on his side, Drew's huge muscular frame spilling over to the two seats next to him. As tall and muscular as he was, Drew had difficulty on public transit. He was always in someone's personal space.

"Nice tats," he said to the sketch artist. To Murphy, Drew waved, and said "Court reporter?"

Is this... small talk?

Jake was no fool, and was prepared for leading statements like Zoheret's. Ben, despite all his flaws, had made Jake much more careful about his words, and made him listen much more carefully too. He looked upon the she devil, or was it she angel, and saw her searching for a way to discredit this whole affair before it began. If she wanted that she'd have to work a lot harder. Jake nodded with fake interest as she spoke about Greece. The comment had been a power play. He wanted her to know that he knew where she was, and that he had ways of getting information on her when he needed to.

"Well as a wronged person in this case I hope justice is served, but as a District Leader I will respect the verdict delivered by our impartial judge Saint Sabrina, good witch of the south. I am just a witness for this proceeding. If you were in my position how would you handle such an offense?"

The Oz metaphor wasn't entirely true, but throwing Saint and good into his appraisal was meant to gauge exactly what Zoheret thought of her new peer. If she thought poorly of Sabrina it said a lot about her.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2019, 07:25:33 PM »
Ichabod gage a small nod as Kerr managed to sum up his own exact feelings. Lazarus was cruel, selfish and a danger to people and the city. But he wasn’t being tried for all the other shit he’d done.

“Murphy, nice to meet you Astrid,” the human said, reaching across the empty seat to shake her hand with a smile. He glanced up as they were joined by someone else and gave him a small nod.

“Yes, for today at least. Not my usual thing, but it should be interesting.” He didn’t go into the why’s of it all, these were strangers after all. His gaze turned back to the witch and he passed her a small card which showed his name, mobile number and email address. “If you do any you think would fit with an article and you’d like to see it published, send it over. You’d get proper credit and everything, not sure what they’d pay for it, but I can give you a quote if you send something over.”

Murphy looked beyond Astrid to the large man... he was huge. These seats probably weren’t the most comfortable for him. “Starting the party early?” He asked with a smile, nodding towards the flask.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 11:07:39 PM »
When their hands made contact in the shake, Astrid received a flash of an image--kissing the Black Prince, a flash of fangs dancing against skin.  More layers of complexity.  Meeting Murphy's eyes she withdrew her hand a gave a small smile, but otherwise said nothing--storing the information in her mind to make connections later.  The name was useful.  If she was alone she would've jotted it down on the page with his portrait, but she wasn't about to flip through all her sketches in front of him.

The Drunk had approached, flanking her on the other side.  Now she was a bit more trapped than she would have preferred, wondering in the back of her mind if she could summon up a bit of fire if she needed to (it had been so long that she doubted it).  He didn't feel dangerous in that kind of way, but she was wary nonetheless.  Vampires were dangerous by default, regardless of intentions, and this one had a rather hulking form.

"Thanks,"  Astrid said to the comment on her tattoos, rubbing her neck where the ink was.  She turned back to Murphy as he handed over a business card.  Maybe they would get one, some exposure would be acceptable for a small sketch.  Who knows what kind of doors that would open later.

"Any idea when this is going to start?"  She could use a quick cigarette but didn't want to miss anything--or lose her seat.

Rachel was a quick replier to text messages.

100 points if you can sneak a pic without getting caught ;) wish you didnt have to go to this stupid thing. take me somewhere fun after? ;D