Author Topic: A Trial for the Centuries - The CW Districts vs. Lazarus  (Read 33699 times)

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
Re: A Trial for the Centuries - The CW Districts vs. Lazarus
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 09:52:53 AM »
Her smile turned icy as he flaunted his own self-righteousness. "I must say, poor Mr. Samson doesn't deserve to have his experiences broadcast throughout the entire city. I am certain that a private trial and sentencing would have been more than adequate for the boy." She paused, allowing him to know without such words that Ben Samson was the reason she was here. There would be no sympathy for District Leader McCloud while she lived.

"But perhaps that's how I would have done it in my district," she said, taking another coy jab. "After all the simplest solution would have been to just remove the afflicting appendage entirely. For that seems to be the problem, is it not? Too much libido, too much power, too much masculinity?"

--

Damien smirked at his phone as he read her message, casting his eyes up quickly to scan the happenings of the court.

Did you have something specific in mind?

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 10:29:19 AM »
An armored van approached the back loading dock. Inside it was the defendant. While she would've made her own way there - or ridden in the van - Saint Sabrina would arrive at exactly the same time. The doors were opened and Lazarus would be free to exit into the backstage area. Lisa-Joe Hampton saw this arrival and sent Jake a text.

The package has arrived.
Send.

She held Seb's hand tightly. They would be starting soon.

Drew looked to the flask in his hand, and laughed a bit as he realized he'd been holding it so openly. Drew didn't really think anyone thought this was a real trial. It was a show! That's why he'd come so blasted. It wasn't even that it was a vampire gig. He thought human courts were basically just shows too. Real justice was a thing of the past or never existed at all.

"When at the circus," he said coyly to Murphy, raising the flask and saluting his promise of a party. He looked to the box and saw Jake still talking to Zoheret. He pointed to the pair, and gestured for Murphy and Astrid to look. "I imagine it will all start when he's done chatting with her," Drew observed. He looked around and saw attendants and aids running towards backstage. "Yeah, I give it... eight and half minutes." It was a very exact guess. His phone buzzed. It was Zeph.

Class till like 7 but after that sure. Need food. :( :( :(

After that Drew's phone buzzed several more times and images of all different kinds of food emojis flooded his inbox. He laughed and smiled at them all. He was going to get to see Zeph after he watched this ancient get the chair. What a cool night!

Jake had forgotten exactly how slimy the she devil was, but her attempts at word play and insults reminded him. He kept his face the same neutral pleasant mask he'd been giving her thus far, and nodded appreciatively at all her comments. The idea of poor Mr. Sampson made him sick. Ben was just another common criminal who used his connections to get out of trouble. Also, mortals who were raped had to testify in public all the time, so Ben was not being subjected to a special form of humiliation. He did have to suppress a dark  grin at the idea of cutting off the culprit. That would not be happening and he wished other District Leaders could hear Zoheret's idea of justice the next time they thought to criticize his own.

"All interesting observations my dear Zoheret," he replied, laying on the implied intimacy with her thickly. He would get such joy if it repulsed her. "I'm so happy Ben volunteered to be here today. As to the publicness of it all, perhaps you're right. I was going for transparency not a show, but it's far too late to change things now. You're already in your box."

He hoped she felt it was more like a cage, the token bird of the District Leaders. "And to your last point, I don't think mutilating my citizens is ever the answer, and thankfully we have your feminine wiles to balance out that masculine energy.

His phone buzzed, and he went to look. The package has arrived. He pocketed it, and was sad to see this edition of Jake versus Zoheret cut so short. Why, she hadn't even called him a murderer yet.

"I'm afraid I'm needed downstairs and still need to greet the Sacrament. Please let me know if we can make you more comfortable. Good evening." He bowed again, with his face becoming the spiteful little shit Zoheret thought he was.

He would stay long enough to let Zoheret take her parting shots. Afterwords, he blocked out her words. He would process them later. The Black Prince moved away from the Dark Angel's nest and made his way across the small second floor to the box of the Sacrament. He welcomed Jeanne and Charon and offered them the same comforts as Zoheret, sending Charon a warm and thankful feeling only for him. After pleasantries were exchanged, Jake moved to take a seat next to Murphy. He overheard the artist ask what the trial was about but decided not to answer her. She would find out soon enough.

"Hey there Murphy," Jake said, taking the seat next to him. He made sure to save the one on the other side of him for when Sam finished her testimony. He hoped she'd take it at the appropriate time, but wouldn't force it. 
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 09:04:12 PM »
Lazarus, wearing the suit Jake had given him - for the lack of any other option - moved into the back room. He didn't like the tension in the air; he could feel it zinging around like a physical charge. His ring was vibrating, though he'd never understood what such a thing meant. It would do it off and on around vampires, never when he was with mortal playmates. Maybe it was trying to tell him that mental fingers were trying to pierce his barrier? That was the closest he could come up with.

His hair was beautiful and flowing - finely brushed to get rid of the dampness in that disgusting cell Jake had thrown him in. At least he'd been allowed to shower, in a way. The makeshift shower had been a preferable change to wash away the stink of moss and concrete. He'd been given a tie to put his hair back but he'd worn it around his wrist instead.

There was a black onyx necklace around his neck. Not the thing he'd choose for himself, but the only way he could get out of his cell. He believed it was Sabrina's magic, that black-eyed bitch who'd cursed him over a decade ago. Apparently, the necklace would force his obedience if he didn't choose to give it. Well, he wasn't intending on messing around anyway, but it was insulting to be forced to. Jake had lost a lot of Lazarus' love over the past week.

He waited backstage for the show to begin. As always, he was the star.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 11:37:03 PM »
As Saraekiel looked around the Théâtre des Vampires with wry amusement. He saw Jake the woebegone wannabe king approach Zoheret in her box and smiled as he imagined how that little meeting must be going down, he flicked his gaze to the front of the front of the audience and watched the hushed conversation between Ben (Who turned out was the interesting chocolate caramel from Charon's little soiree) and his group and reminded himself he needed to get better acquainted with them when he felt the subtle presence of someone who was connected to the aether. Such creatures were always a fascination to angels and they often fought silent but deadly battles on the angelic plane over them, as they could be a formidablele force for good or ill. They could become powerful allies or extremely dangerous enemies. He turned his eyes towards the witch who was busy sketching and considered getting up to go sit next to her when she was joined by a human. He sighed with disappointment and continued to look around when he spotted Sam sitting in the back and on her own.

Why was she not with her sire? he was too far away and there were too many creatures for him to attune to her emotional state but she looked worried and melancholy. Curious he got up from his seat and weaved his way through the crowd to take a seat beside her.

"Hey Fangs" he said with a friendly smile and a bump of his shoulder. "You look glum. Whats up?"

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2019, 04:19:49 AM »
Sam was absorbed within her own world enjoying her piece of solitude, the goings on and visiting before court began meant little to Sam. Taxing her brain as she tried to prepare for the moment the defence got its chance too cross-examined Sam, her stomach becoming unsettled. Damn butterflies and she knew the feeling wasn't going away anytime soon. Unaware a familiar face made his way towards her, the last person she would think of sitting next to Sam. The bump on her shoulder made her jump straight up in her chair, eyes wide then softened as she seen Kiel.

"My God Kiel if I was human you'd scare me half to death," a hand on her temple as she smiled and shook her head at him.

"Would you believe I'm here to testify as a witness," her smile now disappearing from view. It was rare for Sam not to have a smile or even a half grin on her face.

Wondering what Kiel would do with her statement, few people knew Sam was here to testify on behalf of Jake. Even after the brutality, a crime had been committed and she could not leave Lazarus with any possibility of getting the verdict not guilty. Sam could not help Ben and a pang of guilt rushed in her mind, she had been teaching when Ben got raped. Why didn't he just leave if Charon gave him permission to do so? Sam felt partly at fault for not being more forceful with Ben to leave, but she was such a mess a night.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2019, 08:34:46 AM »
"Huh," she watched the pair in the box for a moment, making note of the angry sparks between them, before returning her attention to the blank page in her sketchbook.  Astrid had missed a few and wanted to gather as much information as possible.  She uncapped the pen again and touched it to the page.

Another fallen from grace.  This one as luminous with beauty as the first, and equally as arrogant.  A cold unborn child.  Vengeance.  Flip.

"What do you know about this trial?"  She asked aloud while rapidly working, without looking up, addressing them both if either felt inclined to answer. 

Fresh fluttering fledge.  Family lost, family gained.  A burning slap.  Flip.

The witch looked up now, glancing to the other box in the theater, in the direction of the oldest creature in the room.  This one she could not bring herself to draw.  For now anyway. 

Rachel: mayb the park with Delilah?  idk what's playing rn but a movie would be fun too :3 aaaand i do need to eat at some point lol
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2019, 05:37:22 PM »
Saraekiel smiled at Sam's dramatic jump of startlement at his presence but then narrowed his eyes in speculation as she continued speaking and lost her usual smile.

"Testify? for Jake? My gosh, Sam! Where you there? Did you actually witness the attack?" He asked in a soft whisper filled with shock and concern as he went to take her hand, to enfold it within his own clasped ones as any normal worried friend might. "Are you okay? What happened?." He radiated with concern, worry and comfort and hoped Sam would feel it, believe in his sincerity (which wasn't entirely fake) and confide in him, which might then give him an opening to dabble in that old fashioned human tradition of Witness Tampering.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2019, 07:13:24 AM »
Lisa-Joe saw Lazarus exit, and turned away with a sneer on her face. She didn't understand where he got that suit. It was too nice to be something he owned, and she hadn't paid him a visit prior to the trial. She saw his entrance as a reason to take her post and turned to Seb.

"Time for me to take my place," she told him, hugging him once more for luck. She had a seat for him in the right side isle, so that he would be close but not in the limelight. After hearing any final words she went to the wings to wait for her introduction. Lazarus was on her other side, but she paid him no attention. He would be hearing from her soon.

"Some ancient put his dick where it didn't belong," Drew replied rather bluntly. He didn't realize Murphy knew Jake that well, and figured from Astrid's current demeanor she wasn't that invested in what was happening. He finished the contents of the flask and was now full and inebriated, his favorite combination. Then low and behold, the Grey Duke joined their little party and sat almost in the journalist's lap. Weird. Drew didn't dare engage. He hated politicians, and he suddenly wished he'd stayed in his other seat. An attendant came out on stage and made an announcement.

"Attention everyone," the young vampire, Amy, said. "We are now starting. Please keep conversations to a whisper. Representing the prosecution is District Harpy, Lisa-Joe Hampton. The defendant, Lazarus, will be representing himself. If you both would take your positions."

Lisa-Joe moved to her table, a large binder of evidence and talking points ready to go. She assumed Lazarus would take his as well, but didn't bother to look. The young aid Amy continued. "Now I present the Honorable Justice Sabrina, District Leader of the South. All rise."

Sabrina would now be able to take her place, and say any welcoming remarks before the opening statements.

Jake sat in the audience and watched it all, nervous and fidgety. He rose when requested, and went to grab Murphy's hand, and looked at him with a pained expression before turning his attention back to Sabrina.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 08:31:14 AM »
"Sabrina? They're ready for you." A young woman with rainbow hair poked her head into the dressing room Sabrina had been provided with for the evening. Lazarus had just arrived. All the chess pieces had moved onto the board.

Sabrina nodded, and finished the dark rum drink that she'd been nursing up until now. She checked her makeup and tie a final time in the mirror. As she passed, Tansy tugged the lines out of her black suit jacket and flicked away an imaginary piece of dust before Sabrina waved her off. "Go home," she said lowly, "this is going to be a nightmare."

"It'll be fine," Tansy argued, standing on her tiptoes to brush an eyelash from Sabrina's cheek, "you're gonna do great."

Sabrina sighed, and shrugged. That did not make this any less a nightmare.

She let herself be ushered into place, taking her seat onstage without pomp or circumstance. She was dressed sharply in a tailored suit, plain black, and her hair was pulled into a tight bun. She nodded to Lisa-joe, and to Lazarus, letting her eyes linger on the latter. She hadn't seen him since the day she'd cursed him.

Her voice boomed out over those assembled. She turned her white on black eyes to the front of the room. "Be seated. The prosecution will present their opening statement."

Apparently, there would be no welcoming remarks.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2019, 09:46:29 AM »
Lisa-Joe Hampton rose at Sabrina’s words, facing the assembled body, and occasionally turning to speak directly to the judge.

“Ladies and gentleman, district leaders, offices of the ward, and Justice Sabrina, I am standing here today to seek justice for crimes committed by the defendant, Lazarus. Three days prior, the accused violently attacked a district leader, committed sexual assault against one victim, and raped another. We do not make these accusations lightly.”
She stepped from behind her desk and walked to the edge of the stage. She kept the theatrics fairly low for now, simply stating the facts of what she hoped to prove.

“You will see evidence and exhibits, hear from an expert witness, hear the testimony of relevant parties, including both victims. The defendant will also be interviewed to allow him to tell his side of the story. It is important that he be given the opportunity to defend himself, and is equally important that I present a factual case based on the evidence. I seek this high standard so that our judge can make a clear and clean decision, and be convinced of the defendant's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Now she got a bit personal, deciding to lay out exactly who the defendant was. “Lazarus once ruled this city, twice in fact. I say this not to invite a blistering critique of his record - although one could be done - but to highlight that this man has a long reputation in our fair city. What is the reputation? All common barbs aside, I think it can be summed up nicely with an example. The defendant was not forced to represent himself today. In fact, the Central District put out calls for anyone willing to defend him to come forward.” She now shot Lazarus a scathing look, letting her hatred for him show in every inch of her face.

“Not a single person came forward to defend him.” She turned to Sabrina. “And so based on the evidence you will hear today I ask that the court deliver a verdict of guilty on all charges.” With that Lisa returned to her seat, and sat interlacing her fingers and placing her hands on the table.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2019, 09:57:10 AM »
Damien stood along with the audience, silently, and sat when directed. He checked his messages with Rachel and smirked privately again. It was very unlike him to be so distracted while out in public, chatting on his phone. Ever since Rachel had become a more intricate part of his life, it was hard to figure out the motivations behind such stiff behaviors anymore. She was a terrible influence on his usual austerity.

That sounds fun. Chinese again? But Netflix at home instead. I want to be as far away from this nonsense as possible.

---

The Dark Angel tried her hardest not to grimace at the other District Leader as he pushed her buttons. He wanted her reaction and she almost hated him enough to not care about what he wanted. What she wanted was to just reach out and scald the boy to the bone. Let the little savage heal from that one. Zoheret kept her beautiful mouth clamped shut. There were too many eyes and immortal ears.

She found it humorous that, after everything Lazarus had done to the city Jake was considering him a citizen. The great Lazarus was no citizen - no more than some ex-President was. He was Jake's old lover, she was convinced. The smitten prince and his dramatic flair for theatrics-as-usual. As the young vampire walked away, Zoheret leaned towards Michelle and said "Remind me to send both Benjamen Samson and District Leader McCloud my thanks after justice is served here tonight. District Leader McCloud deserves my best." Zoheret smiled and stood upon command.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2019, 12:31:11 PM »
Lazarus listened to Lisa-Joe's ramblings. She couldn't be playing up to a jury because she didn't have one, so all this must be for the audience's benefit - who were here to watch and not say anything. The only person in the room who had any say in this bullshit was Sabrina, and that meant there was a good chance he was royally fucked.

He stood, slowly, and gave a sombre nod to Sabrina. She'd been angry at him a long time ago for not preventing her niece's death. A death he'd taken hard, as well. She hadn't come after him after cursing him, though, and he hoped this meant she was no longer out to get him.

Next he turned to face the crowd, seeing who'd come. He saw Jake in the audience and quickly skipped his gaze away. Ben, up the front who held his stare. Huh. Kerr beside him, looking daggers. Unsurprising. Ichabod as well in that little trio. Cute. More faces he didn't recognise, some were vaguely familiar, none that he cared about. None of his fledglings were here. He'd outlived so many, but he could still feel a few on his blood-bond. Maybe forty of them were around, but none were close.

He broke into a wide smile and gestured with his thumb at Lisa-Joe. "This one's been watching too many court dramas. Let's just get on with this."

He turned back around and gave Sabrina a steady look. No fast-talking bullshit for her.

INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2019, 05:34:29 PM »
“You’ll do brilliantly,” Seb said, giving Lisa-Joe a final kiss before leaving her to it and taking his seat. He crossed his legs and sat back, looking relaxed. Whatever happened here didn’t make a huge amount of difference to him – yes, it would affect Lisa-Joe who he’d become very close to recently, and Jake, who was becoming a friend. He didn’t want to see Lazarus be killed, it set a bad precedent, but from what he’d heard of the ancient, no one would really see it as a huge loss.

However, he did raise an eyebrow as Lisa-Joe mentioned that was why no one had stepped forward to defend Lazarus. He wouldn’t tell her, but he had considered offering his services to Lazarus. He hadn’t in the end as he doubted Lazarus would have accepted his help (especially not since he’d helped distract him whilst he was surrounded at the White Rabbit). Also, there had been little to no time to prepare. No sensible person with any kind of training in law would have accepted the case with so little time to prepare for it, not when it would be such a difficult one to win. And the way Jake spoke, he’d already made his decision about what would happen afterwards, which made this all a bit pointless.

Murphy shot a glance towards Drew at the crass comment.

“Lazarus has been a threat to the city for longer than just what he’s done this time,” he said, knowing a bit more about it from what Ben had told him previously about the ancient, but not wanting to discuss the trial they were actually here for with this huge drunkard mouthing off about something he knew nothing about.

He turned his gaze away from Drew to Jake with a smile at the nervous looking figure beside him. He grasped Jake’s hand, weaving their fingers together. As Lisa-Joe began speaking Murphy watched Lazarus. He didn’t know about Jake’s relationship with him, which had led to all of this, neither of the two men he cared so much about wanted to discuss the details with him, but he’d find out soon enough. The blonde looked cocky, but maybe it was all just a front to cover the fear of death.

He lifted Jake’s hand to kiss the back of it gently before releasing his grasp so that he could grab his notebook, ready to write down any thoughts which came to him which the mic’s wouldn’t pick up.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2019, 02:21:48 AM »
The witch frowned and narrowed her eyes at his insensitive comment, still keeping her eyes in her sketches even as they were joined by another vampire--this Black Prince.  Astrid thought it was strange that a rape trial was open to the public like this--she assumed that the victims would want some sort of privacy.  Murphey's comment did little to clear things up, though she was looking forward to--hopefully--seeing some sort of justice being brought.  Rapists were disgusting filth who deserved no mercy.  And from the sound of things, this Lazarus had even less redeeming qualities than your average rapist.  She sighed with disgust, shifted in her seat and turned to a blank page in her sketchbook, ready.

She didn't have to wait long, apparently, and stood with the rest of the audience on command.  Lisa-Joe Hampton, prosecutor, and another pretty vampire.  Lazarus--surely not the biblical figure?--had two pieces of magical jewelry humming with magical energy that, to Astrid, was like a beacon.  The necklace was from Sabrina, that much was certain--it had her energy signature.  The ring was something else entirely and would take closer inspection to make any real guesses.  One was clearly a barrier to any Seeing, as Lazarus felt more like a black hole than anything else in the room.  The other was some kind of binding spell.  It would be interesting to get ahold of either and see how they were constructed and what sort of magic made up the spellwork--and their limits.  From what she was aware of, all magic had its limits no matter the power level.  As for which was which, the witch could make a guess--considering Lazarus had a bad reputation she couldn't imagine Sabrina giving him something to hide behind. 

With Sabrina as judge, she was now confident that justice would be served.  She looks good in a suit, Astrid thought with a smile, and sat back in her seat with the rest of the audience.  Her first sketch was of Ms. Hampton as she gave her opening statement, capturing that firey look she aimed at Lazarus.  The images from The Sight were distracting.  Poison.  Cotton crops. Fire.   

Astrid turned to a new page as Lazarus' turn came to speak.  Her mind was uncomfortably quiet, save the urge to avoid him at all costs.  Her pen captured the smile and gesture.  Out of context, it would've had a friendly tone--something normal, human even.  But what it carried here was an utter lack of remorse. 

Rachel:  sounds good to me.  arent you not supposed to be texting me during these kinds of things?  did it still not start? 
[a separate text of a cute photo of herself, tongue sticking out]
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2019, 05:37:01 AM »
The witch watched Lisa-Joe’s speech with an air of polite interest, her normally expressive face oddly blank. Something hardened behind her eyes when Lazarus spoke, but the blankness remained as she watched him. She dipped her head to one side after he made his declaration. That much she could respect.

“Very well. The prosecution may call their first witness.”