Author Topic: A Trial for the Centuries - The CW Districts vs. Lazarus  (Read 33845 times)

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
Re: A Trial for the Centuries - The CW Districts vs. Lazarus
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2019, 08:26:47 AM »
Maria was appalled by the behavior of the Anarch followers, Ben was being obtuse and difficult. But it didn't justify the court's session being rudely disturbed. Deep disappointment ran through her veins, this was not a situation or the place to yell obscenities. There were rules and etiquette to preserve the integrity of this sensitive matter and they would learn the hard way today. Maria quietly rounded up the few trouble makers in the audience, trying to assimilate order once again. Death glares and gritted teeth followed as the small group was ushered out one by one discreetly. Manuel was the last to go to and a marvelous event happened that excited her soul; leaving Manuel frozen like a deer caught in the headlights.

Sabrina also had enough of the shit show, her eye's going black, obsidian throwing daggers ready to strike. Maria could feel that hunger and anger, a feeling not unknown to Maria in her past. A wave of deafening silence rushed over the audience, ushering Manuel out before the white in her eye's returned. Discreetly returning to her spot at the testimony continued, feeling someone's eyes burrowing in her head only to see Sam. Her eye's going from Maria to Sabrina, so she felt the immense power too? It was no surprise. Sam had been around Maria a long time, she could not wield magic but, Sam had become attuned to Maria's strange energy. Maybe more or less to do with her sister, that remained unclear. Maria nodded her head slightly before Sam settled back in her seat, surprised Kiel had stayed.

Sam returned her gaze to Ben as he was cross-examined by Lazarus and what ensued shocked Sam to the core, this was not right at all. Lazarus should not be able to cross-examined Ben or Jake at all, it should someone else appointed for the defense. How could this not be some sort of witness intimidation? A wave of slow and stirring anger swelled within Sam, how dare Lazarus play games with Ben. Sam one hundred percent knew Ben was raped, this was not an excuse to cheat on a lover. Holding her tongue between her teeth at the mention of Ben crying rape because Jake hated Ben. Stewing at the thought her fear of Lazarus seeped away from her bones, without the ring and his age he was nothing. As Ben said he is a serial menace, death was too kind for Lazarus and it was too easy a punishment in Sam's eyes.

Her heart went out to Ben after Lazarus had his twisted fun, glad someone was going after him. Lisa-Joe called back Dr. Barrow and Sam knew her time was coming. An eerie calm of vigor washed over Sam, sliding her hand out of Kiel's and straightening her shoulders. She would not allow herself to be toyed by Lazarus, she would show them without his ring or his age he was just a sad man. Hearing her name cut through the theatre like a hot knife in butter, it was time. Without hesitation she stood with grace, composing herself as she made her way down the aisle. Jake had caught her eye and no matter what happened she would not let Jake down. Touching his shoulder as she passed to calm his nerves, her eyes blazing that justice will be done.

Before taking the stand Sam bowed to Sabrina, climbing up into the podium that was almost too tall for Sam. She looked small and even tinier compared to Sabrina, but the fire of justice in her eye's burned with the rage of a thousand bees. Stealing a glance at Lazarus before settling her gaze on Lisa-Joe, ready for her line of questioning. Not afraid of the scourge that sat mere feet away from her, she didn't fear him when she went to Jake's rescue and she didn't fear him now.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2019, 09:29:48 AM »
As Lazarus laid Ben out for a second time, in front of everyone, Sabrina's face remained impassive. Keeping it that way was one of the most difficult things she'd ever had to do.

The halfbreed hoped this would be therapeutic for Jake, because it was truly awful to watch.

She listened to Dr. Barrow's secondary testimony, and couldn't help but crack a smile when he said what she was thinking to Lisa-Joe. She herself was no stranger to trauma and how it affected the mind, and there was no jury here to convince.

Sam's bow was returned with a nod, and she turned her eyes back to Lisa-Joe, expectant.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2019, 09:39:58 AM »
As Sam took her place in the box, Lisa-Joe couldn't help but give her a smile. She'd missed her friend and chosen niece, and was happy to see her looking so confident. It would be much more peaceful to interview her than Ben was.

"Thank you for being here today Sam. Would you please tell us what happened after you got back from Charon's party, the night of the alleged attack against DL McCloud."

This seemed like a good place to start, and she sat back in her chair as she waited for Sam to reply.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2019, 11:01:11 AM »
Her head was steady and her chin held up high as Lisa-Joe asked her question, giving her Sam's undivided attention at the moment. Answering the question with a civil tone, her hands calmly unfolded in her lap. Trying hard to only speak what pertained to Lisa-Joe's questions.

"When we arrived home, Lazarus was in the sitting room watching television. I hurried to my room and so did Ben," her voice crystal clear along with her description.

"Shortly after I heard Lazarus screaming and I quote, 'Fucking Sabrina,' and things started to get thrown in the apartment." Pausing as this part was harder for Sam to discuss.

"Then I heard Jake telling him to stop... then I heard thump against the wall and I reached out to him through our bond. Jake told me to stay in my room. I did least for a while anyway," shutting her eyes for a moment before continuing.

"Then I felt Jake being raped through our bond. It was as if I had burning frostbite and raw electricity running through my body. It was clear Jake had been raped, gluing me to my seat for God knows how long," her eyes burning with anger at Lazarus.

"Jake was so disconnected from reality he couldn't even stop his true emotions flowing into me. I went in there and confronted them both, only to be sent back to my room by Jake for the night." Hiding the pain of Jake turning her away that night.

Not wanting to get into too many details, as Jake striking Sam no longer held any sway in her mind. Jake was angry at Lazarus and she was the closest thing to take out his anger out on after his assault. Dr. Barrows testimony had helped Sam better understand why Jake ran away from her help. And she couldn't see how Jake hitting Sam was relevant, she had been sent back to her room plain and simple.

"Then Ben came to my room concerned what had happened after Jake yelled at me to go back to my room," the next part of her testimony Jake didn't know.

"I told him Ben I try to get him out and something bad was coming. But I didn't tell Ben I felt Jake being raped," her eyes shifting downward only for a moment.

"Ben then told me, 'I'm only here because Charon wants me here. I can walk out at any time.' After he made sure I was okay he then left my room." Leaving out the part when Ben called Sam a slave to Jakes will, it didn't need to be added at all.

"I didn't hear that Ben was raped too until later. I was away teaching a class when Ben was raped the following night," leaving out she had run to Maria after seeing Ben being lead into a car from The Ward.

It did not click at the time something bad had happened to Ben, hoping he had decided to walk out with The Ward picking him up. But as she found out later it was worse than she could ever imagine. How many more would be raped by Lazarus? He could have easily abused his power as a Harpy, well former Harpy to hurt even more people. Sam was determined to have her testimony end his reign of terror, awaiting any more questions from Lisa-Joe.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2019, 11:56:49 AM »
Astrid watched the transformation of Sabrina with awe, pen moving furiously to capture the image.  This one would not be going to the paper, that she was sure of.  The roll of raw power crashed into Astrid's senses, sending her heart shooting into her throat.  No--they had a history together, that much she was sure.  How had Lazarus even survived it?  The interjections from him made her stomach churn.  Especially in the face of such accusations.  The recounting was heart-wrenching to witness, in spite of Ben's previous demeanor.  Truly Lazarus was an awful disgusting person.

By the time Lazarus was permitted to cross-examine Ben, Astrid was beginning to feel as though she had heard enough.  But she didn't leave, attempting to capture the mood of the exchange to the best of her abilities.  How had the court even allowed such a trial to take place?  Why had no defense representation been provided--it was hard to watch the victim blaming straight from the mouth of the perpetrator.  After the questioning had finally ended, she watched Ben practically flee the scene and she was glad for him.  Surely no one would willingly agree to be revictimized, in front of a live audience no less. 

Sam's testimony was no easier to hear.  The pen moved to capture the composure the young vampire held while speaking.  As the story further unraveled, the anger within the witch had grown, setting a firm frown on her face.  Surely this was enough to convict the bastard.  She couldn't wait to hear what the sentence would be.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2019, 11:59:28 AM »
Lisa-Joe’s face was pleasant suprise as Sam testified. Lisa hasn’t needed to do much. Sam sounded like she’d really thought about what she wanted to say, and while Lisa considered stopping her, she was hitting all the boxes Lisa would’ve asked about. The room finally could breath compared to how stifling Ben’s testimony had been. She looked over her notes looking for other questions.

“With what degree of certainty can you tell us that what you felt through the bond was rape and not something else, and did Jake seem altered or disturbed when you saw him?”

That would be it for the prosecution. Sam had set the bar high for her sire.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2019, 02:46:56 PM »
Sam hoped her own trauma would not come up in this case, understanding the motive for the question. Her eye's scanning the audience not knowing if her ties to Jake were common knowledge, a fierce look returned to her face as she settled her gaze back on Lisa-Joe.

"Jake never knew me... I interrupted unknown vampires feeding only to beaten, drained and left to die. I felt so angry and violated that night," her voice soured as she recalled the memory.

"That similar feeling was what Jake let slip through the bond. I knew with one thousand percent certainty he had been violated. I didn't know the extent until I saw his pants undone when I marched in that room. And Jake wasn't even mentally home, he didn't know left from bloody right." Shaking her head at any sort of notion that Jake could consent to anything in his state.

"Him yelling at me is what solidified the fact he was raped, he's been trying so hard to be better with me. I didn't understand why he yelled I was there to rescue him," giving a small sigh as she continued.

"But after hearing Dr. Barrows testimony... I understand now, that was a scared man crying for help. Jake didn't know how to convey it except with rage. Even if he did yell at me I will not condemn him for it." Hanging her head in shame thinking that Jake was settling back into his old ways.

That was not true and she hated herself for having a mental episode, Jake had promised to strive to be better. And in front of Ben of all people, she hoped nothing would come of that and her mental problems would stay private. However, she prepared herself for the worst if Lazarus was to pry deeper into the conversation Ben and Sam had that night. Lisa-Joe seemed to let it go and satisfied with Sam's answers so far.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2019, 05:23:15 PM »
Lazarus listened to Sam's testimony and suddenly it all made sense, why she'd stormed in on them the way she had. He'd thought she was a nutter, that she'd seen the destruction and leapt to the (mostly accurate) conclusion but then overreacted. It shocked him to his core that Jake's belief that he'd been raped was so profound that his fledge had felt it, too.

What the actual fuck? He forced himself to be gentle with her, because he didn't want her to become unhinged while on the stand. Jake had told him in passing that Sam was delicate, and the last thing he wanted was to show he had no mercy at all.

"Sam," he began, to attract her gaze. "I never spoke a word to you that night but you did scream a question at me. 'Why did you hurt him?' or something like that. I thought you'd seen the mess outside, the broken furniture that I smashed, and stormed into our bedroom because of that. I thought you believed I'd beaten him up or something. Nobody breathed a word to me about rape, including you. I can't talk to you about this, because everything is second hand, via Jake. It has to come from him, so you should go back to your seat."

Ben sat with his back to the wall in the far back wall of the theatre, in the wings. He held onto his legs tightly, thinking about what had just happened. He'd thought he was coming out with a surprise, that it would make Lazarus falter, that it would muck him up at the trial. He'd thought revealing the information he knew would finish the blonde, but he'd just steamrolled over it and swept it aside as irrelevant.

When Kerr stepped into view, Ben sprang up and wrapped his arms around him. He wasn't crying or sobbing, but he was intensely disappointed in himself.

"I should've expected something like that, I let myself get rattled. I shouldn't have let him win," he whispered, not wanting his voice to carry to the stage where he could still hear testimonies being given.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2019, 05:51:15 PM »
Sam's gaze had swivelled on a dime, staring down Lazarus like a dog. A steel-hard glare and a raised eyebrow were directed at him. This was all a game to him and Sam would not play it. Lisa-Joe was had not stated to anyone she was done with Sam. Sam continued to stare at the sad man, why the hell was Lazarus even speaking? Then it hit her like a tidal wave he wanted to torture Jake, fuck that bullshit about broken furniture. She had time to take off her make-up before she felt Jake being raped, his back peddling would not work this time.

She remembered her exact words, "What did you do to my Dad?" Repeating the words as Lazarus tried to fuck her up. "You could at least quote me properly for the court. And in my eyes, you did not have a relationship. It was more like special friends, if that." Saying no more out of turn on the matter, but her eyes didn't lie she knew what she had seen.

Sam remained on the stand showing she would not bow down to his clear misuse of power. Lazarus wanted to be his own defence she make him wait his turn and if Lisa-Joe was done she would make him repeat his request. Sam was doing this for Jake, wishing she could have been first so she could do this for Ben too. Wondering how he was faring after that terrible encounter with Lazarus, finally returning her gaze to Lisa-Joe. Growing bored of the staring contest with the weak little man in front of Sam, hoping he crash and burn.

Lazarus would find out under the wrong conditions Sam could be delicate, but Maria had helped her through it. This was a different Sam and his mercy would not help him here one bit, scoffing at him and his idea of mercy. Anyone that knew anything about a bond between sire and fledgling is it could not lie, it always came out raw and true.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2019, 08:07:57 PM »
Lazarus repeated himself because Jake’s fledge seemed to be hard of hearing.

“Sam, once again, there are no more questions for you, from either of us,” he said, because he’d been paying attention when Lisa Joe has indicated she was done. “Go back to your seat. Please,” he added, casting a glance at Sabrina to show he was being polite.

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2019, 09:52:41 PM »
Once Ben was in his arms, Kerr could think again. He took a moment, resting his forehead against Ben's head while the rage subsided, leaving greater clarity in its wake. He pulled back enough so that he could look into his love's heart-stopping silver blue eyes while he spoke. His grasp on Ben's arms was firm but he rubbed up and down occasionally, seeking to comfort.

"No. Don't do that," he said quietly. "Don't let him make you doubt yourself. He's had thousands of years to learn to manipulate people and he learnt how to push your buttons years ago, when he had you at your most vulnerable. You and I both underestimated how he'd use your past against you but I don't feel it mattered. Honestly. He didn't manage to dazzle you into agreeing with him, you still argued when it mattered. If anything, him surprising you made you more sympathetic. No-one would believe you gave him consent."

Kerr stared intently at Ben, wanting to follow his words with a kiss but waiting for a convinced reaction before he moved. He wondered what their next step would be; introduce their pointless guest, return to the gallery to watch Jake's testimony and hear the verdict or just cut their losses and sneak out the back? He'd follow Ben's lead.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2019, 12:16:25 AM »
Saraekiel was horrified when Sam referred to Jake as her Dad. Did Sam have daddy issues? Was Jake some kind of replacement Daddy Savior in her eyes? No wonder he found it so hard to crack open that relationship nut. Jake had her practically wrapped around his emotionally manipulative finger; the red head too, going by her fervor and emotional zeal. Oh she hated the blond ancient rapist, her emotions practically glowed around her ever time she looked at him, but that was nothing compared to the emotional fireworks she let off every time Jake fucking McCloud's name was mentioned. She was obviously so far up his ass she only got to see starlight when he opened his braying yap. Jake certainly knew how to garner the loyalty from those closest to him, he acknowledged to himself as he grinded his teeth in frustration and reconsidered Sam's place in his plans. That blood sucking, over used cum rag was better then he realised.

He sighed as he cast his eyes around Jake's orchestrated circle jerk of a trial until his eyes came to rest on Ben and Kerr, they were huddled in the shadows but their emotional auras were bright and bleeding with their shared misery, grief, and anger. As he narrowed his eyes in speculation, he had a sudden pang of compassion twang through his psyche. Ben's suffering was real. he bet Jake was the one that had demanded a public trial, had manipulated the situation so that he could use Ben's pain as a way to bolster his own political agenda.

Jake's outrage and pain at being sexually abused was real too, most probably; but this was a vampire matter that could have been handled privately, with more dignity and compassion for all involved, instead Jake had used his and Ben's suffering for a little...what had Zoheret called it? Political Masturbation, a PR stunt to garner a little sympathy for himself. It was a clever plan but the ploy was obvious and his hand overplayed. he fooled no one. Did Ben realise he had been played? That his pain, humiliation and suffering had been dragged out before the masses not for justice but because Jake needed a little public sympathy, in the hopes of changing his tarnished public image?

How did Ben feel about Jake? Were they friends? Was the anger he exhibited during his time on the stand towards Jake only surface deep or did he hate him? If so, how deep did Ben's hate go for one Jake McCloud?

Suddenly losing interest in Jake's public Pity Party he got up and slowly weaved his way over towards the far wing of the theater where Ben and Kerr sat huddled together.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2019, 02:26:36 AM »
“You can go Sam,” Lisa-Joe said politely to back up Lazarus. She still was thinking less was more, and Sam was dangerously close to tipping into more is too much. She’d done well though, and Lisa-Joe was was surprised Sam had been so tough staring down Jake and Ben’s attacker. She’d come off credible and loving and after Ben’s burn it all down approach it did seem to bring a sense of stability back to the proceedings. Once Sam had left the stand, Lisa-Joe would flip to the final page of questions she had.

“I call Jacob McCloud.”

Case Study: Sam Rede
She seemed genuine enough, if not a little out of her element. She did seem to love her sire though. I hate mine, so it’s nice to see not all vampire families are so impersonal. She also had a touch of a victim about her, which made sense when she explained that her siring had been a last minute decision, not a planned one. I have to admit it warmed me to the Black Prince a bit to know he said fuck it to clan rules, and requirements and just made her because he thought she’d die if he didn’t. What an interesting turn of events.

Case Study: Sabrina
Lady has self control. That face she showed us all before. That’s her real one, her beast as we call it. To know she has that much darkness living in here and that she seems to be in such control of it looked like Golconda! I thought there might be a new case here. What made Sabrina have that strong sense of control over her emotions? Finding out where she lived would be easy enough. Then I would just need to figure out how to get inside.

Jake watched Sam’s testimony, and it made him dread his. This whole thing had been a mistake. True, nobody could say Jake or the district wasn’t transparent but this was perhaps too transparent, too raw. He was proud of how Sam composed herself and that she stared down Lazarus. She was defending him. She forgave him. It made this whole horrid thing less horrible to know his family would rally behind him, that he hadn’t pushed them away. Scott sat in the audience and would be coming by later to “be supportive.” Jake wasn’t alone.

When she left the stage, he stood, looking at Murphy before squeezing his hand and then letting it go. He knew he was next. He rose and stood in the aisle, waiting for Sam, and giving her a hug as she reached him. It felt so nice to have her back in his life, and he realized then what a void he felt without her. He was truly better with her, then without her. He let those feelings seep through to her and once Lisa-Joe properly called his name, he released his fledge and moved to take his seat next to Sabrina. He looked at her nervously, then to Lazarus and finally to Lisa-Joe.

“Jake, please tell us how Lazarus came to be in your private chambers on the night of Ben Samson’s attack.” Lisa-Joe wanted to corroborate Ben’s story before going to the meaty stuff.

“I don’t actually know. He didn’t have a key. I assume someone let him in or he obtained a key another way.”

“Where were you during Mr. Samson’s assault?”

“I was meeting with a local leader here in the West.”

“And then you returned home and Mr. Samson informed you telepathically that he was attacked by Lazarus?” Jake nodded. “How did you respond?”

“I was holding something at the time, something glass. I dropped it, and I told him telepathically, me too.”

“So you’re saying you instantly believed Ben? Why?”

“Because it had happened to me the night before. It was too much of a coincidence. He also… He looked like he was in shock.” Jake had planned to say he looked awful, but didn’t want to be seen as disparaging Ben just because he could. He refused to use his testimony to make Ben look bad the way Ben had tried to use his to make Jake and Lisa look bad.

“What happened next?”

“Lazarus came out of the bedroom and asked to speak with me. I was afraid that he would attack one or both of us again, so I pretended to scold Ben and sent him back to his room, but sent him a telepathic message telling him to leave but to tell my staff where I was and what I told him. Then I went into my room with Lazarus and he told me Ben had wanted it, that he’d lured him in.”

“Did you believe him,” Lisa-Joe asked.

“No. I didn’t. I strung him along until he had the idea for us to feed and went up to find someone. Then he was arrested.”

“Let’s go back in time,” Lisa-Joe said shifting topics. “Since we’ve heard differing accounts, were you and Lazarus in a romantic relationship?” She looked like even she didn’t know the answer to this one. In secret, she’d hoped Jake would just bore with Lazarus, but had been growing concerned the more time they spent together.

Jake looked at Lazarus for a moment, unsure how to answer the question. “We were involved. It was mostly physical, and we were friends for sure. We never had a talk about being in a relationship and obviously we were not monogamous” He looked guilty, and couldn’t help but stare at Murphy for a moment, shame all over his face. “But I think we were developing feelings for one another yes. So it’s tricky. I guess it depends what you define as a relationship.”

“Don’t you think it’s dangerous to bring someone like him into your home? Were you not aware of his past?”

What the fuck was she doing? Jake looked at Lisa-Joe like she’d pulled the rug out from under him. Lisa gave him back a masked smile.

“I… I was aware he was dangerous, but I was not aware of the accusations Ben made tonight no.”

“And yet despite admitting he was dangerous you let him around your fledge, the east’s honored guest?” Her inflections made them seem like questions but it was clear now she was pressing into him.

“I… wanted to give him a chance. He spared my life once when we first met. I thought he could learn to care about the district, our people. I… miscalculated.”

“Tell me about the night of the party. Once you got back what happened?”

“We were discussing the political fallout from the night. I told him about Sabrina becoming the District Leader of the South. I wasn’t aware they had a past. He began shouting and screaming and tearing my apartment a part. It was…” He looked at Lazarus. “A tantrum.”

“Go on Jacob. What happened next?”

“Ummmm. I went to stop him. I asked him to stop. I put myself between him and what he was destroying. He picked me up and threw me across my apartment and I slammed into a wall.”

“Did the throw damage the wall?”

“I noticed the damage the next day, but in the moment I didn’t see it. I was in pain and confused.”

Lisa-Joe had submitted photographs of the wall damage to Sabrina that she was free to look at. “Then what happened?”

“Ummm, I’m not too sure. I was on the ground but then I was on the bed. I don’t remember how I got there. I just remember him saying my name. I went to try and lie down, but he didn’t let me.”

“Was it forceful? Did he hold you in place?”

“I don’t think so. Ummmm. I don’t know. I remember him being kind of gentle about it, but…”  Crack! Mithras’s face flashed before him. It would be obvious to the three people on stage he’d disconnected for a second. Lazarus in particular would recognize the disassociated face. “I don’t know,” he muttered. He looked pained, and while he was being a little more articulate than Bed had been, in other ways they seemed the same on the stand. Both had difficulty facing these situations head on, and Lazarus hadn’t even had a chance to fuck with him yet. Maybe Ben was the stronger one?

“What happened next Jake. Take all the time you need.”

“He… He… He… seemed to want to make up for the wall. He starting taking off my pants and said something like, ‘look what I can do. Look what I can do for you.’ And then he had sex with me.” Jake couldn’t talk about the feeling during the exchange, the awful juxtaposition between his physical pleasure and that mentally he was revolted, especially as he reached orgasm. He couldn’t say those things out loud, but he certainly kept seeing the memories.

“But he never asked you? He kept you from lying down and then had sex with you without consent or encouragement?”

“Yes. He had neither permission or encouragement. I was… ummmm. I think I was in shock. I…” He couldn’t say having flashbacks to the last time this happened to him. They didn’t need to know that. He let the I hang in the air and looked at Lisa-Joe.

“Why didn’t you stop him?”

“I didn’t think he would stop. He’d just thrown me like a rag doll. I knew Lazarus wasn’t the nicest guy.  Don’t get me wrong, could I see him throwing someone across a room for getting in his way or because he was angry? Yes. I just never thought he would do that to me.” He faced Lazarus. “I was wrong. I thought if I told him to stop it would get worse, that he would take what he wanted to matter what. How do you tell someone who just beat you and is now raping you, no and expect them to listen?”

“Last question, how did you handle the aftermath?”

“I blocked it out at first. I just pretended like it was normal but on some level I knew it wasn't. I think Sam felt  was what was really going on inside me. At the time I just wanted it to be over. It was Ben who helped me wake up. It was Ben who helped me realize what happened.”

“No more questions,” Lisa-Joe said. He’d done well. She hated to see him in such pain, but he’d told the truth and looked like the last person who wanted to be here. She only hoped Lazarus wouldn't take his cross examination as one more chance to hurt him.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2019, 06:37:10 AM »
Sam politely nodded her head at Sabrina and Lisa-Joe. Giving up her spot from the stand, she did not acknowledge Lazarus. He did not deserve to be addressed for his mockery of this court system. Jake had obviously given him an inch of rope and Lazarus as always proceeded to take a mile. His politeness had irked Sam, this was the time he decided to be polite?! What about Ben and now Jake, a pang of guilt ran inside Sam. If she hadn't had run her opinion might have mattered, this should have been more private. It was too late now and this aisle seemed so long going back up.

It was already clear that she would go sit with Jake, the hug surprised Sam. His flow of emotions surprised her even more, hugging him and patting his back. However, instead of sitting with Murphy and the others she followed him back down the aisle, taking a seat behind the prosecution as close to the stage as possible. Sam was his courage totem right now and Maria was proud of Sam.

Becoming a vampire did not hamper her morals and values, she did well not to air their dirty laundry in court. Yelling was an understatement but that would be discussed in private at a later time. Maria admired how much she had grown over the last while, her anger more controlled and it suited Sam much better. The first to step up and the last to always back down and Sam had never given up easily in her life. Relieved that Jake and Sam could move on and fix their relationship even further. All eyes fixated on the Prince now as Jake gave his horrifying testimony, a spike of anger rose within Maria.

Maria's new position could not have come at a better time, Sam and her family were vulnerable. They needed guidance and patience. Not only with themselves but one another, as the new Keeper Maria would try and bring back some sort of harmony to the group with Sam as their much-needed anchor. Everyone now awaiting on Lazarus to have his question period, not having high hopes that he would remain civil. With Sam so close however perhaps Jake would draw on her strength to see him through the horror.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2019, 07:34:41 AM »
Ben, standing in the wings and listening to Kerr's words, nodded at them, because they made sense. He believed them with his head if not his heart. He'd considered himself mentally superior to Lazarus, for the other had always seemed shallow in his need for control. From what he remembered, Lazarus had been a one-trick wonder, relying heavily on his charisma and sex appeal. It had been stupid of Ben to underestimate him in this way. Like Kerr had said - Lazarus had thousands of years and had never relied on any mental powers to make people submit to him. Only his words. Of course he was masterful with them. Just because he didn't pull out everything he had didn't mean it wasn't there waiting in reserve.

Ben intended on going back to his seat, for him and Kerr to sit beside Ichabod, to draw courage as a familial unit, but then Jake was up on the stage and Ben didn't want to move into view while he was up there. When listening to Jake's recount of what he'd told Ben, he fumed and glared at Kerr.

He's fucking lying, he spat to Kerr telepathically. He told me that we were both leaving, but then he told me to go to you. He didn't tell me to get his fucking "staff".

Not that he remembered, anyway. Ben's desire to leave spiked, and while he'd been sitting in the wings, he'd spied a small door that would lead out to the alley behind the theatre. He was about to ask Kerr if they could leave, figuring they would get Ichabod to meet them outside unless he wanted to continue watching, when the golden man that Ben had admired at Charon's party snuck around from the theatre's edge and approached them.

Ben didn't know what the newcomer wanted, but he wasn't going to listen to him here. "Outside," he whispered, pointing to the door before heading that way, pulling Kerr with him by the hand.

Continued in Stormclouds

While Jake was in the audience, Lazarus had found it hard to look at him. He’d noticed him sitting beside some other guy, one that looked vaguely familiar. Certainly not someone from Jake’s inner circle. He’d obviously moved on to the next pretty thing, replacing Lazarus with a new pet, a new project, a new man to put in his bed.

Fickle prick.

Fuck, it hurt. It was hard to contain the pain roiling messily inside him. This was the moment that he’d been waiting for, though. This was why he’d let Jake’s people take him to the cell below, why he’d gone along with the arrest, why he hadn’t fought them off. Because he’d wanted to talk to Jake. And even after that discussion in his cell, even after Lazarus had condemned Jake for making things too public, Jake had once again made everything public.

So be it. Lazarus would speak in front of everyone. Let them all see the knife Jake put in his back.

Lazarus lifted his gaze and connected it to Jake’s. Yes, here was the pain again, a living breathing thing that sat high on his chest and squatted in his throat, making it burn. This time he didn’t shy from it or press it down. He let it rise, awakening emotions he’d long ago buried. He would bring them all to the surface. Let Jake feel every one of his words. Let them cut him and make him bleed as Lazarus bled.

“Jake,” he said, and already he could hear the timbre in his voice was changed and raw. He reached up a hand to touch his throat, but moved past and stroked it through his hair instead, mussing it a little. This wasn’t going to be a tidy conversation. He couldn’t hold eye-contact for a moment, and he dropped it to Jake’s chest. Lazarus swallowed a few times, hoping it would help his voice smooth out. “Where do I even begin?” he asked, and raised his stare to connect it to the younger vampire.

Lazarus moved around his table so he could be a little closer to his ex-lover, so he wouldn’t have to raise his voice. Sabrina and Jake would both have a good view of his expression. Fuck the audience. This wasn’t for them.

“Our relationship. It started off as fun, yeah,” Lazarus nodded. “But now, because of where we are,” Lazarus gestured at the stage, “I can see it meant more to me than it did to you.” His voice broke halfway through and he looked up at the ceiling, studying the unpainted rafters. “And I get to hear how you feel about me now, with everyone watching and listening, instead of that moment in my cell, in private. I guess you thought I might manipulate you. I guess you still don’t see me as… a friend, a partner… a subordinate. My own stupid fault for trusting anything different from you, I guess.” He waved vaguely to Sabrina. “I do have a point, I promise,” he said and stared at the floor for a long moment, gathering himself.

Lazarus looked back at Jake, his expression plain. “I do have a question for you, but you need to hear how I saw everything before you can answer me properly. So let me tell you about that night, as I felt it, as I saw it.

“You came back from the party and told me Sabrina held a portion of the city. It was a shock. At the time you hadn’t realised she’d cursed me once before. I was mad, but honestly, I was fucking scared. I wanted to hit something. I didn’t want to hit you, so I turned my attention onto whatever was close at hand. Furniture. Your stuff, I know. But then you grabbed me and I didn’t think, I just reacted. My anger was gone, like that,” Lazarus snapped his fingers, “when you hit the wall. I realised what I’d done. I ran to you. I said sorry. I begged you to be okay. I picked you up and carried you to the bed. You started coming around then, you said a couple of words. The way… the way you were looking at me…”

“I wanted you to feel powerful,” Lazarus said, then scoffed a single laughter. “I wanted you to see me submit to you, to remind you that I answered to you. Nobody else gave me a chance, and you did, and I didn’t want to fuck that up. I bowed to you, I got down on my knees and I bowed to you, because you were my king. And you let me do it, and we both know that position means something to me. And you didn’t say no, and you didn’t say stop, and that’s all I have to go on because we both also know I have my ring.” Lazarus held it up, and his eyes grew glassy as he said the rest. “And you sit here,” he croaked, “and tell everyone you were scared of me, that you didn’t want me to hurt you again. But you didn’t tell me. Your fledge… Sam… she came into our room and you sent her away, and I just watched it all unfold, thinking you were back to normal. And then you turned around and you came back to me. You didn’t send me away. You didn’t tell me you wish I hadn’t done it. You didn’t give me any clues.” Lazarus shook his head briefly. “So here I am, thinking we’re all good, and we even had sex again. And we did all those things, straight afterward, you were definitely willing that time, because you touched me. And now you sit here and say it was all a ruse, because you were scared of me, when all I did was try to help you. And now I know I made a mess of it. But you didn’t talk to me!”

Something was on his face. Lazarus touched his cheek and saw water on his fingertips. It took him a while to realise what it was.

“You asked me a question, when I was in the cell. You wanted to know how I felt about you, like you needed to hear it. Like you didn’t know. I’ll tell you now. I loved you. It’s the reason I’m suffering through this.” He gestured at the stage again. “So now that you know my side, here comes the question.”

Lazarus took a deep breath and released it sharply. “Did I really rape you?”