Author Topic: PARALLEL: Hunter  (Read 45269 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: PARALLEL: Hunter
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2019, 04:06:28 PM »
Kerr made a sort of, "Pfffk!" noise and flung his hands apart resignedly when told he also had Ben's age wrong. The Oligarchy had either vastly underestimated the age of this couple or they'd lied to him, to downplay the threat to his life. Cynically, the latter seemed more likely. They'd certainly gone all out with the gadgets and the methodology, trying to give him advantages he'd thought extravagant. Now he knew better.

He gazed thoughtfully at the magical cage imprisoning Ben as he was told the vampires could leave the country - and his lifetime - and never bother him again. It caused a pang inside him that he swiftly and surprisingly identified as regret, imagining Ben and Lazarus remaining exactly the same as he remained exactly where he was, in the job he was in, until he withered and died or was taken out. He'd never see Ben again. Never know what it was like to--

The mention of siring startled him out of his melancholic reverie and brought his gaze sharply back to Ben. "What? Why would I be sired to hunt?" he exclaimed, offended by the notion. It'd be like switching sides and playing for the opposition. That would be an even bigger move than letting Ben go to collect Lazarus and get him out of the country.

His heartrate picked up at the thought of it and he told himself it was because he was horrified.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2019, 05:19:36 PM »
"I imagine as you get more skilled, better at your job, that your employers would not want to lose you as an asset. You wouldn't need these magics after enough time," Ben's handcuffs slipped down his arm as he gestured with them and also at the cell and towards Kerr's ring. "You wouldn't be able to lure a vampire using yourself as bait, like you did with me... or maybe you would. We're a sexual bunch, I've noticed. I suppose when you've lived long enough, there are very few things that excite you. Sex is a good old standby for that."

Ben shifted so that he was on his backside, his knees becoming uncomfortable from holding him so long without any cushioning beneath them. "After a few centuries you'd be quite formidable. Especially if your employers let you keep your gadgets. You'd have to be looked after the first couple of years though, to make sure you don't have any accidents." Ben frowned. "I did my most killing the year I was made before I learnt to control it. Lazarus didn't interfere. He thought it would make me more like him. Admittedly it did, at the start. I had to suppress my emotions or else I'd go mad with grief. I still never enjoyed bringing death to mortals. Lazarus... he doesn't get excited by it, murder doesn't satisfy him... if it did I'd have left him a long time ago... but if he has to sacrifice a human for his own survival, whether it be food or security, he'll do it." Ben murmured thoughtfully. "Hmn, I thought I would as well, I'd always told myself I would, but I had an opportunity and didn't take it, so apparently not."

He'd spoken far too much, but Kerr seemed to be an enraptured audience. Ben liked that he was listening without scribbling.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2019, 06:22:05 PM »
Kerr flushed at the last statement, feeling a surreal mix of awe and embarrassment as he put himself in Ben’s place and acknowledged that he could’ve killed Kerr in an effort to survive but hadn’t. The fact that he hadn’t didn’t make sense to either of them, which only compounded the surreality of it all.

If he imagined himself dead right now, how would that affect everyone he knew? His family? He was saddened to admit that deaths in his line of work weren’t common but they happened. A couple a year. Those folks that passed were mourned hard, spoken highly of and then forgotten as time rolled on. There were always more rogue monsters to put down in the name of protecting humanity. His mother and brother would miss him, raise a glass with the crowd at his wake, tell everyone he died too soon doing what he loved and drown their grief in vodka.

He had no close friends, no significant others, just occasional repeat hookups that would speak fond words and not express how he’d pissed them off by snagging their kills, competitively got to jobs before they could to boost his reputation or left their bed to do all of the above and didn’t call them til the next time he wanted something. Everyone knew what he was like, but no one would tell the truth about the dead - especially if he died taking on a job too big for himself.

It was fucking miserable.

Kerr sighed and repositioned himself, raising his knees and hooking his elbows around them, hands linked in the space between. He could still feel the throbbing echo of Ben sucking his fingers without too much trouble... he tried to push it out of his mind. Being told about how strong he’d become if he was a vampire didn’t excite him and the life Ben spoke of didn’t sound any better than the one he was currently contemplating being lost to him. What would it matter how long you lived if you didn’t matter to anyone? If they didn’t matter to you? At least Ben had Lazarus - or vice versa. Either way, they had each other and... sex? Was that even enough?

“My ‘employer’ is me. This is just a one-time gig I was approached with, by someone who’d got wind of my hunting reputation. None of the magic is mine. I know a few warding runes, an entrapment spell or two - nothing big enough to enchant objects or pour out the juice this lot does,” he mused, lifting the ring finger on his left hand to gaze at the ring on it.

What would happen if he took it off? Would Ben Dominate him to let him out? A thrill of excitement raced through him. Would that be enough of a slip-up that they wouldn’t punish him, just tear up the contract, fire him and take all their magical shit back? Could that work? He looked back at Ben, some life coming back into his rich brown eyes.

“They have me locked in to a pretty tight contract. I’m supposed to kill Lazarus, like I said. But everybody makes mistakes... right?” he asked lightly, beginning to work the ring along his finger.

He didn’t do it quickly, he wanted to think the ramifications of this through - he’d be entirely at Ben’s mercy, did he want that? He hadn’t killed him last time, so Kerr felt he’d be safe this time, right? - but he was too excited by the notion that he’d found a loophole in which everyone won.  Lazarus would live, Ben would get him out of the country for years, the Oligarchy wouldn’t know he’d basically let Ben go free (and willingly voided his contract) and he could get the fuck out of this city and do something about finding a life that mattered.

People always said near-death experiences gave you a new perspective on life. Fuck, they were right.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2019, 07:21:05 PM »
Kerr speaking of his hunting reputation (one that didn't precede him, unfortunately) caught Ben's attention, but he didn't understand why Kerr would call himself his own employer when he next stated that he'd signed a contract with someone else. He answered to another person, or entity... an organisation or whatever it was that Lazarus had pissed off. He needed to know more about them; who they were, how many hunters had been sent after him and Lazarus. He supposed it was likely Kerr had no idea about the latter, for why share such sensitive information, but if Ben knew what he was up against, he and Lazarus could do something about it.

If he got out of here.

He watched Kerr working the ring. The hunter was fatalistic about it. Ben was transfixed by the small movements, but he tore his gaze away. He meant to keep his expression neutral, but he couldn't help the smile that forced its way on his face. It was a small smile, but an obvious one. His eagerness for Kerr to allow him control refused to be suppressed.

And that was when Lazarus set off the alarms.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2019, 08:05:45 PM »
Kerr froze, his gaze drawn to the spinning egg-like rock across the room. Uncertainty rose, and he glanced back at Ben as he shoved the ring back on. Despite the sense of overwhelming doom infiltrating his body, he surged to his feet as the next crystal in the line began to vibrate, followed by the one beside it starting to rock.

So fast.

He barely had time to think, his instincts took over and he ran for the knife the witch had given him. He cursed himself for not wearing it, even though he'd been fairly certain the elder vampire would come tonight. He ran as fast as he could but it still felt like he was running through glue. The rate the alarms were being tripped, he thought the vampire would be in the house by the time he got the knife.

The witch had taught him how to set another trap at the bottom of the basement stairs, and he'd done that in the daylight, as instructed. She'd said it would be stronger than the one that had knocked Ben out because it was using the power of the stones beneath the basement floor, but he wasn't sure it would work. Had she known he was two thousand or not?

Kerr reached the knife and pulled it out of its scabbard, whirling towards the stairs with it held firmly in his hand. It was a wicked-looking hunting knife, the blade engraved with runes and the handle made from carved bone. It was warm in his hand and that was all the thought he had time to register before the door at the top of the stairs slammed open with so much noise he was pretty sure it'd been ripped off its hinges.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2019, 08:52:54 PM »
Lazarus could smell Ben and the mortal downstairs. He also got a whiff of old sex and even older magic. He heard ragged breath, the drip of sweat, and felt shifts in the air... but not Ben in his mind. It was unlikely that his progeny wouldn't give him warning. He could sense him down there.

"Ben, love," he whispered.

"Lazarus," Ben breathed back, to let his sire know his position. "He means to kill you."

"What weapons?" Lazarus continued to whisper.

There was a very long pause before Ben finally answered. "Magic. There are traps. Blades."

Lazarus growled, a rumble deep in his chest of his discontent. The mortal was sure to hear that, certainly not their soft conversation.

"He was about to let me go," Ben said in a normal speaking voice. "He was going to let us leave."

"He's tricking you, love," Lazarus replied, so that the mortal could hear. "I'm disappointed in you. Getting caught. Believing him."

Ben lowered his eyes to the floor. "Because it was true."

"Then have him release you and come up the stairs to me," Lazarus scoffed, but then added on another whisper, "but before you do, end him."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2019, 10:00:18 PM »
Kerr whirled towards Ben when he first spoke, then spun towards the stairs when Lazarus did, his heart in his mouth. It was difficult to speak past the terror constricting his throat and contemplate his imminent peril. "I-I'm not tricking him," he told Lazarus. "B-but there's... he can't get up the stairs yet." He needed to de-activate the trap at the bottom for either vampire to pass, it was his last line of defence.

Kerr turned to look down at his trestle tables of magical goodies, seeing the keys for unlocking Ben's cell and the handcuffs. They didn't look much like keys because one was a vial of liquid to dampen the activation of the cell and the other was a counteractive crystal for the cuffs. He pocketed the crystal and picked up the vial, walking towards the cell still wielding the knife in his dominant hand. He uncorked it with his teeth but then paused, looking at Ben.

Again, his heart stammered in his chest but his emotions were too complicated to unravel and figure out why. Mainly, he was terrified and seeing that his choices were pretty clear: Kill Ben (didn't want to), Kill Lazarus = live ( a highly unlikely outcome); don't release Ben, lure Lazarus down and kill him, Ben would no doubt hunt him down for vengeance if he left him alive = death; let Ben out and allow him to deal with Lazarus as he'd promised, worry about the Oligarchy punishing him = the lesser of two evils and he'd possibly live. Possibly.

He wanted to say something profound, to plead for his life, to ask for advice... find the words that would convince Ben that this shouldn't be his last night on the planet. He couldn't think of anything. "I guess I'll let you out then," he said quietly. "Please... " He didn't know how to finish the sentence, so he poured the vial on the focal point in the cage's door. It behaved much like locking it had, except this time the glow was a brilliant white. Kerr pulled the door open, dropped the empty vial and reached into his pocket for the crystal to remove Ben's cuffs. He lowered the knife slightly as he held out the crystal, watching the vampire's amazing eyes.

He realised he was holding his breath.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2019, 10:32:13 PM »
Ben was amazed when Kerr fetched something to use on the bars. He got to his feet and stepped away, shielding his eyes when the magic interacted with the cell door. When Kerr approached him, knife in one hand and crystal in the other, Ben stepped forward and offered his handcuffs, certain that the knife wouldn't be used on him. Not now. His release had come a lot easier than he'd anticipated. His seduction of Kerr had been so complete that he'd even bargained for Lazarus' life - not something he'd anticipated he could do. He supposed Kerr had been in the right frame of mind, but Ben was going to take a lot of the recognition for this. He'd obviously played it perfectly enough.

His handcuffs melted off him and he relished the sensation of freedom. True freedom. There were so many paths he could take; he could end Kerr now and go to Lazarus, call Lazarus down and declare he was safe and then end him himself, leave Kerr and do as he said and take himself and Lazarus out of the country.

Instead, he reached up and ran his hands through Kerr's hair, testing his grip on it whilst looking at his lips. His other hand reached for the knife, attempting to take it off the mortal as he closed in for a kiss.

Upstairs, Lazarus waited at the doorway, feeling that something had happened but unsure what. Ben was smarter than him though, and he had all the information, so he stayed where he was and listened to the soft shuffling noises coming from below.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2019, 10:46:41 PM »
Kerr flinched away from Ben, trying to step back but ending up held tightly by the head and awkwardly arched instead. His hair was fairly short but that didn't seem to matter. Ben reached for the knife and Kerr pulled it away, hiding it behind his back and squirming in Ben's hold in an effort to keep the knife out of his reach, his balance somewhat compromised and his hope failing. But still, he fought.

"Stop it, I don't want to hurt you," Kerr warned through gritted teeth. It occurred to him that Ben didn't need the knife to kill him, so what did he want it for? Some sort of symbolic killing, using the weapon that would've ended his sire? "You can't... get out of ... here," he said between grunts, "if you kill... me. I have to dis... arm the trap!"

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2019, 01:01:24 AM »
Lazarus waited impatiently when he heard that Ben was free but something else was happening and there was talk of another trap.

“Don’t be foolish. I can take possession of your mind and take the knife off you, then instruct you to undo the trap. Unless you mean to jam it into my ribs, hand it over,” Ben ordered. “Willingly.”

Lazarus huffed audibly. “Ben, stop fucking around and just do what you suggested.”

Ben replied outwardly even though he was able to do it telepathically. “I want to take him with us.”

“What the fuck do you want a hunter for? To slay us in our sleep? Just do your trick and let’s go.”

“No,” Ben insisted, and licked Kerr’s neck before speaking softly to him directly even though Lazarus would hear. “He'll do what I want, won’t you, Kerr? Leave this bullshit behind. Don’t let them use you for their savagery, let me use you for intimacy. I'm what you’re aching for,” he said as he shifted his hips forward, brushing up against Kerr's groin.

“He’s a dangerous toy, love. He’s going to stick you with that knife,” Lazarus predicted.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2019, 01:26:06 AM »
When Ben licked his neck, it shivered through him so hard his neck muscles cramped, sparking pain because he then couldn't move his head to relieve it. He was left floating in that minor agony as he tried to move his other hand away, expecting Ben would go after the mind resistance ring if he didn't get the knife, to force him to do the things he'd just threatened. It left him in a vulnerable position, held in place by Ben and helpless to defend against his thrust - physically, at least.

"Fuck you I will," he snarled even as his body betrayed him by lighting up with tingles and bucking firmly back. The words were meant to argue the claim that he'd do what Ben wanted, but they also answered Lazarus' warning neatly - he had no intention of sticking a cursed knife inside Ben, even in his compromised position.

Kerr tried to tell himself that his crotch parry was his only way of fending the vampire off - which was true - and that he didn't enjoy it - which wasn't. This entire scenario of being held captive and helpless in a vampire's grasp had, at some twisted point, moved from his worst nightmare to an erotic fantasy and it only made him angrier and thrustier as he squirmed, using his hips and chest to attempt to gain some leverage. "We had a deal! Let me go, I'll let you go and you take him away," he ground out.

He didn't anticipate the Oligarchy would look favourably on his failure but he wasn't about to surrender any of the toys they'd entrusted him with to add insult to injury, nor was he about to willingly surrender to being a vampire's plaything. Sure, he'd likely suck on his own fingers while he wanked (to fully immerse himself in the fantasy) for the rest of his life, but that was by the by. He saw the connection he'd felt to Ben as a way to escape with his life and his dignity and he wasn't ready to accept that he could have only one.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2019, 07:12:49 AM »
Ben was trying to sell the idea to Lazarus.

He can tell us about the bounty on our heads, why it's there, how far it reaches. He's also a nice piece of ass.

Though he would prefer not to share Kerr and figured he wouldn't have to. Kerr was a far cry from Lazarus' type - more like Ben himself. As if Lazarus had a direct line to Ben's true thoughts, he heard the whisper that came next - harder to hear over Kerr's panting and heartbeat, so close.

"We don't always agree on what's sexy," Lazarus muttered.

Ben focussed on Kerr, feeling his denial and disappointed with it. Kerr had aligned with him so much as to release him instead of doing what he was supposed to do (and frankly, Ben would've been surprised if Lazarus didn't become ensnared in the magical trap - it was an unusual thing). Ben thought Kerr might keep his word and release him after Lazarus was reduced to ash, or maybe do the opposite of what he said and keep Ben caged to perform for him. He would've, too, for a while anyway. This literal following of the deal was frustrating.

Kerr's writhing motions were turning him on, unfortunately, so Ben did as asked - he let Kerr go, pushing him away. He wasn't going to force it; he would only ever push so far - much like his sire (though Lazarus would always go right up to the edge). He'd wanted the knife and/or the ring as a memento, too, but Kerr was being a bastard about it, denying Ben not only himself but a little keepsake.

Ben huffed and adjusted himself in his jeans before turning and reaching out a hand towards his cot. Kerr would see the yellow psychology book that lay upon it tremble and then fly into Ben's hand. He held it to his chest and then gestured with his free hand for Kerr to undo the magic trap.

"Go on, then. Let me out of here, and regret not accepting what I could have done for you," he said, then added slyly, "and to you."

Lazarus' voice floated down the stairs to them, at a volume both of them would hear. "How many rejections have you had now, love? An even dozen? Your hunter is in a very select group."

Lazarus was exaggerating. With Ben propositioning mortals multiple times a week, there were lots of rejections, but he had far fewer knockbacks than Lazarus, who poured his charm on too thick and ended up sounding sleazy. Still, it was obviously a sore point for his sire who dealt with it by over-complimenting Ben's looks and charm into being something godlike or equally ridiculous.

"He is," Ben agreed softly, which both shut Lazarus up and gave Kerr something to think about.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »
Kerr was thrown off balance in more than one way. Pushed away from Ben with gusto, he stumbled, managing to keep himself upright by grasping the end of the closest table and causing the television on the next to shake precariously. Then he saw a masterful display of telekinesis and was told he was in a select group because he’d rejected Ben. There was a bitter irony in that statement that the vampires would’ve laughed at if they’d been able to read his besotted mind right now.

The thing that threw him the most, though, was that Ben had let him go. Because he’d fought. It seemed to matter to him that Kerr was willing, which was just... astounding. Was it a matter of pride that the vampire he’d tricked many times in many ways now got his supplication? Would he relish the notion that he’d broken Kerr down to the point where he not only let him and Lazarus go, but he also surrendered all his assets and willing body, too? Or was he something even more rare, an honourable creature?

Kerr wished he could find out but he didn’t have the luxury of time

unless you go with them, to study them
learn everything
fuck Ben like you want
seriously, why not? What else do you have going for you?
It would make this scenario more convincing
you’d escape the Oligarchy and
be with him
Sex? Is that all this is about? Stupid, I can get sex anyw-
not with a vampire
not with HIM
he matters
Why not do it?

or perspective to figure it out. He shook his head as he picked up the discarded scabbard and sheathed the knife, fighting off his tumultuous thoughts as if he was conversing with someone. He needed two hands and to be thinking clearly so he tucked the knife into the waistband of his jeans (where Ben could reach it as easily as he could, if he truly wanted the knife and not just to test Kerr’s loyalty) as he approached the bottom of the stairs. It didn’t feel right to turn his back on Ben but he was more wary about what would come down the stairs than creep up behind him.

Truthfully, he hadn’t been told how to cancel this trap, just turn it on. He’d suspected it was different to anything he’d ever done because the witch had painted some sort of liquid (he’d suspected blood but she’d kept it to herself, her body shielding her actions much like his was to Ben right now) around the stones in rune-like gestures before telling him he should activate after the young vampire was trapped and when the sun was in the sky. Most traps worked the same way, though; destroy a part of their construct and the whole trap was voided, or undo the trigger.

Since he only knew how the trap was set, the latter idea was all he could go on. Praying his logic was sound, he stood before the space with his shoulders back, hands lifted and performed the activation ritual in reverse. From the first arrangement of his hands pressed together over the space, he felt wrong but he also knew he had no choice. He couldn’t exactly call the witch for advice. He pulled his hands apart, bending his hands towards his wrists as he did, describing a square. Twisting his thumbs downward, his fingers splayed, interconnected and separated, flicked back together and then described a backwards roll around each other before his fingertips pushed together, arms held parallel to the ground.

By the time he performed the final manoeuvre - pulling the line of his arms apart by jabbing his elbows towards the east and west simultaneously (for the basement was carefully oriented, he’d been told) - he was feeling deathly ill. When his arms reached the final position, an invisible wave of intense power pulsed outwards from the base of the stairs, rolling over him like he was in the ocean being dumped by a wall of water. Kerr, being closest to the point of origin, was knocked sideways even as his body doubled over and he began vomiting. As the remains of his earlier meal sprayed out of him indiscriminately, Kerr fought to stay on his feet and conscious but the retching didn’t stop and he lost his battle for lucidity after a few drunken staggers.

Kerr collapsed on the stone floor near Ben’s feet (mostly face-down, luckily), his body still heaving bile out of him, unconscious. His final thought, before blackness engulfed him, was that he was unsure if he’d even turned the trap off.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2019, 01:11:33 PM »
Ben watched the movements Kerr made with interest, alarmed when the air changed and electrified - only it felt different from electricity. It had a sensation of thick air. He took a step back before Kerr was flung away, retching and reeling and blacked out. Lazarus moved away from the top of the stairs when it felt like he was standing in fast-moving water, pressing himself against the wall beside the doorway. Ben received some of the brunt of the magic and was thrown against the bars of his cell with enough force to cause him pain.

Then it was over.

Lazarus dawdled at the top of the stairs a minute longer before racing down, at Ben's side and looking him over. His love was in one piece though looked dazed.

"Kerr," Ben said, "is he...?"

Lazarus looked over but didn't bother going to him. "He's breathing," he said, helping Ben to his feet. "Are you taking him with us or leaving him here?"

"He didn't want to come," Ben said.

"Since when does a mortal's wishes bother you?" Lazarus laughed.

"I'm not you, Laz. Anyway, this one is different."

Lazarus scoffed, then saw the scabbard a distance away. He made sure Ben could stay on his feet without help and went to it. He offered it to Ben, who tucked it into his pants and then went to Kerr.

"He's not in a good state," Ben said, the smell of vomit pungent and over-powering. He picked up Kerr and moved upstairs with him.

"I thought we weren't taking him?" Lazarus asked as he followed behind.

"We're not. I'm going to clean him up and put him to bed."

"You're a little old to be playing house with dolls?" Lazarus said, then he was inspired. "Ooh, actually, I've had the best idea. What if we set up a house and fill it with street trash? They'll do whatever we want to them if we clothe and feed them and give them a place to live."

Ben moved out of the basement and pulled a face as he went upstairs, looking for a bedroom - preferably one with an attached bathroom.

"And how do you propose we set up this house? With all the money we don't have? And how would we feed and clothe this merry band of thieves? With the food and clothing we don't have?"

"Since when have we needed money?" Lazarus scoffed.

"Since you wanted a house full of fucking street-kids," Ben replied, rolling his eyes. "The ideas that come out of your head aren't always winners."

"You lack vision," Lazarus muttered, but he lapsed into silence, fantasising about his idea, glossing over the details.

Ben found a room he liked and lay Kerr on the floor where he could undress him. Lazarus watched from the doorway.

"How'd he capture you, anyway?"

"One of those magic traps," Ben replied, working on Kerr's clothes.

"You didn't scan his mind?"

"He has some kind of block on him. I couldn't get a reading off him."

"And you went home with him anyway?" Lazarus asked with obvious surprise. "Not your usual careful self, Ben. Were you so eager to fuck him that you threw caution to the wind?" At Ben's silence, Lazarus laughed. "You should've done him in a back room."

Lazarus eventually grew bored watching Ben take care of the human and wandered the rest of the house but didn't go downstairs again. Ben filled the tub with warm water and was aware of the scabbard digging into his side. He tossed the sheathed weapon onto the bed before returning and putting Kerr into the tub. He wet a washcloth and soaped it to bathe him. He hadn't got far, having washed Kerr's face, neck, shoulders and both arms and was doing his chest when the mortal stirred.

Ben continued stroking the cloth on his chest, though didn't move further, wanting Kerr to be properly awake before he moved downward. He didn't think Kerr would be feeling very sexy after his purge. He'd probably be feeling rather ill, so taking advantage of his naked body wasn't an option.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2019, 02:41:32 PM »
Kerr flinched when he came to and immediately regretted it as pain exploded everywhere, particularly threatening to tear his head off at the neck. He started to reach for it but stopped when the loud sound of splashing water set off miniature fireworks in his brain and every muscle screamed at him to slow down. His hand dropped harmlessly back into the water and he opened his eyes carefully.

It was dark, which he was thankful for, but it made it difficult to figure out what was going on. He was naked, in a tub full of deliciously-warm water. He was definitely not in the basement's spartan bathroom, then, it only had a shower stall. There was a shadowy figure beside him attached to a hand swiping his chest; he assumed it was Ben and that he'd been taken somewhere beyond the house they'd been in, his willingness to accompany the vampire not a factor after all.

Pleasure bloomed in his chest and he told himself it was just because he was glad he was alive and being looked after.

"Ben?" he queried, his voice little more than a croak. Still, he gained an affirmative answer and asked the vampire what had happened. When his own actions were described to him, he had no recollection of them. The story sounded like a tale of someone else. He remembered beginning the de-activation spell and feeling off but that was all. Vomiting everywhere; now that was an unusual side effect of fucking up an incantation. How impressed the vampire must have been to be confronted with so much humanness in one go. He was only glad he didn't lose all his bodily functions - unless he had and Ben was just trying to protect him from being embarrassed. The thought warmed him but it was swiftly followed by a startling thought.

"Lazarus!" he cried, recalling that the ancient vampire had arrived and told Ben to leave him behind. Ben clearly hadn't listened but Lazarus hadn't forced the issue and killed him, either (obviously), so where was the ancient? When told he was around somewhere, Kerr didn't find the answer comforting. He only realised then, completely out of logical order, that the de-activation had been successful in the sense that Ben had passed through it but he thought he'd partially triggered it with his clumsy actions.

Kerr relaxed back against the curve of the bath, liking Ben's attention. The vampire had gone to a lot of trouble for him and even though he knew he should be despairing over being stolen, he was too sore and sorry for himself to bother. Ben's touch was gentle, the rhythm of it soothing... and a little inappropriate, he realised, as the hand and washcloth slid down his stomach.

"Wow, I really got it everywhere, didn't I?" he chuckled but his amusement faded swiftly as pain stabbed him in the backs of his eyeballs. He scrunched his eyes shut, breathing carefully through it. "Fuck, my head hurts," he whispered. The bathroom's echo wasn't helping. He cocked an eye open, looking at the shadow he knew to be Ben. "I don't suppose you got my stuff before we left the house?" he enquired quietly, not imagining Ben stopped to pack his gear and collect his toiletries but really hoping he had, because he needed about ten headache tablets right now and they were with his toiletries.

If he was in the right frame of mind, he'd have been frantic at the thought of losing belongings that were irreplaceable, rather than worrying mainly about pain relief tablets - the numerous journals of notes and recollections of kills he'd been cataloguing throughout his life, the laptop he used to back everything up on, magical gadgets he needed to give back. His wallet and phone were also pretty important. Had they used his car to drive away? That would be some consolation, as he loved his Camaro SS. His clothes, too. He'd have to go back for them when Ben let him go. He hoped the Oligarchy would neither read his stuff nor throw it away.

Without thinking, he covered Ben's hand with his own, his thumb caressing the top of his wrist in a gentle and loving gesture of gratitude and contentment, following wherever it strayed and closing his eye while he listened to Ben's answer and let him do whatever he wanted.