Author Topic: Stormclouds  (Read 7249 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Stormclouds
« on: March 22, 2019, 07:32:54 AM »
The door was closed quietly behind them. No need to advertise their exit.  Ben stayed close to Kerr but looked up when the fresh air hit his face. The wind had picked up and was racing down the alleyway. He didn't feel the bite of the cold anymore, but he could still sense it would be cold for anyone warm-blooded. The sky was overcast, and stormclouds were brewing.

He felt a bit that way himself.

"We haven't officially met," Ben said, looking at the golden man in front of him. He didn't smell like an ordinary man, though. He wondered if his attraction to this stranger was the kind of attraction Kerr had felt with Cain. There was certainly a physical drawing, not as potent as it had been the first time, because of what Ben had been through, but certainly enough that Ben felt awkward in his presence.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Stormclouds
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 01:17:53 PM »
Saraekiel smiled slightly in pleasure as he looked at Ben and Kerr, and they could both be forgiven for thinking the smile was for them, but in truth, Saraekiel smiled because he was delighted by the wind that danced through his hair and over his wings. It was alive with chaos; the entire West had become a seething maelstrom of discontent and pure rage. The last time he had felt such virulent energy was eighteen months ago when the mimic demon’s abandonment of this plane caused the Oligarchy to collapse, the resulting chaos from that night had given him a power high that had lasted for months. So when he offered Ben his hand in introduction his smile and eyes were alight with appreciation and happiness.

“No, we have not." He replied warmly. "My name is Saraekiel, and it's a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance."

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 04:35:00 PM »
"Kerr," he introduced with a nod of acknowledgement, waiting until Ben shook the other man's hand before he offered his own. He didn't let go of Ben, finding comfort in the contact.

The night air brought another modicum of clarity to his turbulent mind but he wasn't sure what sort of trouble this Saraekiel being represented. Kerr recalled the wink he'd received from him at Penbrook and that, coupled with the uncharacteristically happy vibe he was exuding right now made Kerr distrust his interruption.

Ichabod's mental question distracted Kerr momentarily. Not leaving yet. Apparently having a meet and greet in the alleyway with some guy named Saraekiel. I'll let you know what it's all about once I know. He probably just wants to tell Ben he did a good job. Keep watching the proceedings for me, Kerr replied mentally.

Kerr's attention returned to the live conversation going on in front of him.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 11:09:36 PM »
Ben took Saraekiel's hand and slowly did the handshake thing with it, marvelling at the scent of the other man - like a roasted dinner, the heat of a barbecue grill and a hint of spices, though he couldn't say which ones. He released the handsome man's hand and looked at Kerr next, who greeted the newcomer in much the same way though a little more rapidly. Ben wondered what Saraekiel wanted - why he'd got up out of his seat at the trial and come to Ben. Like his sire and partner, Ben was confused by the other's obvious pleasure.

"Did you want to ask me something?" Ben wondered aloud, staying close to Kerr but openly curious as to what Saraekiel wanted with him. A wounded portion of him braced for a threat or insult, but it was a very small part of him. Kerr's affection and understanding had brought Ben a long way through his experience with Lazarus, and it had only been a brief lapse being in the ancient's presence. As Kerr said, he'd argued in all the right places. He hadn't lost himself in that moment, though he'd been played in a way he wasn't proud of. Was Saraekiel here to play him as well?

He hoped not. He wondered at Saraekiel's kind. He wasn't demon or fae but he'd been close enough to Zoheret at the Oligarchy to catch her scent a few times - though she was less like a barbecue grill and more like logs in a fireplace. "Are you another dark angel?" he hazarded, only because he'd seen Zoheret sitting obviously in the theatre box above, reminding him. If so, there weren't many of them in the city, and it was strange that one would concern himself with Ben, because he was nothing but a lowly young vampire. Though, he'd felt a spark when looking at him at Charon's party for Sabrina last week. Surely that had nothing to do with this?

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 09:50:24 PM »
By the time Saraekiel finished shaking Kerr’s hand his happy mood had dissipated and now he was feeling uncertain and unsure of himself. He could feel how they had slightly closed themselves down at his approach, could sense their slight wariness of him, and he had no idea what he had done to cause it.

“No, it’s nothing like that at all. I’ve wanted to introduce myself to you both for a while and I would have waited for a more opportune time but…” he made a slight gesture towards the theater where Ben’s emotional turmoil had stirred something within him. Ben had pulled at him as soon as he had noticed him at Charon’s gala, Kerr too, but it was Ben that tugged at him and he wanted to know why. “What you did in there took a lot of courage and even though we don’t know each other, I saw you in the wings and wanted to see if you were all right, if you needed any support.”

He flicked his eyes towards Kerr, acknowledging his closeness to Ben and smiled warmly. “But I see that at least is not needed and so I offer you my admiration instead.”

He also wanted to know how these two vampires fitted into the power structure of the city. They seemed to be connected to everybody, Ben Samson especially. Yet he felt he had already set a foot wrong somehow with these two and so decided to take a different approach, with baby steps.

"And yes, I am a dark angel" He admitted. He tilted his head slightly with a questioning but still friendly look in his grey eyes as looked at Ben anew, the wind caught and played with his unbound hair, pulling and lifting it around him. It also tugged at his silk shirt, the material shimmering randomly as it captured what little light was left of the night sky before the approaching storm devoured it all. "That isn't a problem, is it?" he asked hesitantly.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 10:43:21 PM »
Ben watched Saraekiel carefully, hanging on his every word, both listening to what he said... and didn't say. He was a diplomat, this one. Gorgeous and intelligent, though his timing was off. Ben supposed the dark angel had to capture whatever chance he could get to meet him and Kerr, considering all the running around the city Ben had been doing since Kerr had come back. He felt very much like a yo-yo.

"Thank you," he said, though if it had been up to him, it would've been a private trial. He didn't want to say this to Saraekiel, though not because he didn't want to share so much as didn't want to distract. He had a very strong sensation that what they said here and now mattered.

Do you think this is who Charon was speaking about? he sent to Kerr. The one who quietly took the north without an announcement?

"I don't know that I deserve your admiration, but I can always use more support," Ben replied, thinking it would be wise to make friends with Saraekiel. Plus, he was easy on the eye and an interesting man to talk to. Ben had never dared ask Zoheret questions when she'd been at the Oligarchy Chambers, but Saraekiel seemed more... open, to him.

"It's fascinating, actually," Ben said in response to the dark angel question. He still held onto Kerr, for his sire was his rock, but Ben was intrigued enough to wonder if Saraekiel had something specific in mind for them. Meeting them was just a foot in the door, surely? "I'd love to have you speak at the Academy on open day. Well, open night." He smiled again, more naturally this time. "It would go a long way towards a message of inclusion."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 08:06:41 PM »
Kerr's gaze drifted over the dark angel, aware that his urge to appreciate the other's form was mainly inspired by Ben's trickles of interest. He was darkly beautiful - not really Kerr's type but he had eyes and wasn't immune to the being's smokey sensuality - and didn't appear as arrogant as Zoheret, the only other dark angel he knew. Saraekiel was almost sycophantic, compared to her.

Definite possibility, he seems... bold, even though he's playing it humble right now. Probably the type to use any resource to get his way. I mean, why would he have been 'meaning to introduce himself to us for a while now'? What have we got that he wants? What can we do for him? Kerr mused, allowing Ben to carry the conversation while he observed.

When Ichabod's next message came, Kerr was confused, a surge of impatience rising in him in response to Ichabod's own feelings. Why the fuck do they want you out? Fucking Jake. At least Lazarus is guilty. We're around the side, still trying to figure this Saraekiel guy out.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 11:49:55 PM »
He arched an eyebrow and smiled with honest amusement. "That's the second time someone has suggested Dark Angels should become part of your academies curriculum”. He had no intentions of teaching or talking about Angels to a ragtag bunch of lesser supernaturals; no matter how cute Ben Samson was or how much he strangely drawn to him. However, supporting the academy in other ways would also be good for promoting him as a District leader who believed in species equality and inclusivity.” Your approach was much slicker” He narrowed his eyes slightly as he pretended to think about it. “I will think on it. But I doubt there would be much interest in a subject on my kind. It will be interesting to see if you can convince me otherwise. “

He slid his hands into his pockets and looked at Ben with interest. “I also like that you find me fascinating” His eyes danced over Ben from head to toe and back again. When they met Bens stunning blue eyes once more, they were filled with mischievously wicked and open admiration. “I find you more than a little interesting myself Ben Samson. I think you are a person worth knowing, worth getting to know, a person of worth.”

He felt the turmoil and emotional upheaval building in the theater rising, bursting outwards. Their alone time would shortly be over.

“However, as I said this is not the most opportune time and I am sure you and Kerr would like to get away from here as quickly as possible. I would love to converse with you more. If you like I could call on you some other time when things are a little more settled.”

He dropped his glamour allowing his wings to appear behind him. He stretched them a little, enjoying the feel of the wind rushing through them before snapping them close again.

“Or you could come to me.” He said with a hint of challenge and daring.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 07:24:00 AM »
This was the second time someone suggested the Academy to him? Ben couldn't think of who else would suggest it. Charon? Ichabod? Did Ichabod even know him? Maybe Saraekiel knew one of the students or teachers? Ben couldn't think who. He hadn't looked at the audience to see who was sitting beside who - other than to look at Kerr and Murphy.

Ben, who'd only invited Saraekiel to make a small speech on opening night and not to host any classes, didn't correct the dark angel's mistake. He smiled when told he was slicker, taking it as a compliment. Being a better communicator was a learned skill, after all. He gave a small and gracious nod when Saraekiel offered to think about it. If he decided he would take on some lessons, Ben would accept him, but he didn't think he would get the chance.

When Saraekiel's gaze gave him the once over, it was both thrilling and horrifying. A part of him welcomed the fact that Saraekiel was mutually attracted, it meant Ben didn't have to feel awkward about the one-sidedness of it. Another part of him quailed at the obvious nature of it. Kerr hadn't made any overt sexual moves since Lazarus, and he appreciated it while also at the same time hated that Lazarus was still the last man to have been inside him. He stopped himself from fidgeting or shifting his stance, and kept eye-contact, refusing to show his discomfort. Ben was very good at playing neutral.

"Thank you," he said again to Saraekiel's flattery, smiling and nodding when the dark angel suggested that they should speak more later. He opened his mouth to reply in the positive but then Saraekiel's wings appeared, and his comment as well as his previous calculations disappeared. All that was left was curiosity and wonder. When the wings shifted and trembled in a tightly drawn stretch, Ben wanted to reach out and touch them. It would be next-level inappropriate though, so he kept his hands to himself. His fingers twitched their desire so he lifted a hand to toy with the topmost button near his collar to keep it busy.

And then came the challenge: Or you could come to me

He was glad for Kerr's presence. He was intimidated by Saraekiel. A week ago, the other's overtly flirtatious manner and clear attraction to him was something Ben would've used when negotiating, but he'd taken a few steps back because of Lazarus' abuse. He had to admit to himself that there was something about him that attracted the cruel and devious, they were starting to pile up; Declan, Themba, Lazarus... even Jake, though he'd not attracted the 'Black Prince' in a sexual way, but he'd certainly caught his attention. He didn't know whether to put Charon on that list or not because Ben had sought him out - but he was certainly on the cusp of it.

The physical attraction, though. It was undeniable and made Ben feel even more out of his depth and somewhat guilty for feeling this way about someone he didn't know while his sire was right there. Ben had never felt that kind of drawing before. Sparks, sure. This was more like a sexual awareness. Definitely a new thing and unwelcome, because it was messing with his mind.

And the gutsy way Saraekiel had made his comment with Kerr standing at his side. Ben was fairly sure everyone in the city knew them to be lovers. It was obvious even in the way they were standing together now, but Saraekiel hadn't pulled his punch. Of course it was just more innuendo and could be brushed off as

Or you could
Come to me

innocent. Ha.

There was a strong instinct in him to be forthright, with a simple 'of course we could come to you, whatever's easiest', but he also had a feeling that Saraekiel's desire to talk to him would be severely muted. At the same time, the idea of being left alone with someone who looked like that, behaved like that and was breathtaking was not the best idea.

"Um... I look forward to it," he said.

And you'll be with me but he doesn't need to know that right now
, he said to Kerr in case his sire felt the need to protect him.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 10:20:18 PM »
Kerr had to check that he hadn't accidentally gone invisible; he looked down at himself somewhat ironically as Saraekiel relentlessly threw himself at his partner. He couldn't decide whether he should bristle with anger or laugh so he hovered somewhere in between throughout the whole ordeal.

When the wings appeared, he covered his mouth with his hand and had to look away. Jesus fucking Christ, he felt like he was intruding and all he wanted to do was shout, "WHY?!" Why the fuck did this complete stranger think Ben was so amazing that he would 'love to converse with him more'? There were two choices, in Kerr's opinion: he either wanted to fuck him or fuck him over. Neither sat well in Kerr's esteem.

He realised his humour had swayed firmly back to anger and it sobered him. Yeah. Pretty sure that's not how he wants it, Kerr replied to Ben, trying to keep the bitterness he was feeling from seeping along their bloodline along with the message. He glowered openly at the dark angel, offended by his blatant disrespect. He thought he might need to shower after this interchange.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 01:52:25 AM »
Saraekiel was once again baffled by the emotions he was picking up from these two vampires. Kerr Galvin was livid and Ben, Ben was confused and afraid.

He quickly went over their conversation in his head and tried to look at it from their point of view. When he finally saw it he was amused and his lips twitched with that amusement. Zoheret was right, everything was about fucking with these creatures.

"Mr Samson, Mr Galvin. I think there has been a misunderstanding." Now he did smile, it was honest and open and richly amused.

"Allow me to allay both your fears and anger." he looked at Ben and smiled wryly. "I was not alluding to wanting to have intercourse with you Mr Samson. My interest in you is genuine and yes some of that is a physical attraction, a sensual one even. I admit I am drawn to you. I don't know why or what it even means, but intercourse?" He shook his head slightly "No. I am interested in you because you have a very innovative mind Ben." He turned his head and looked at Kerr fully. "And you Mr Galvin, most definitely interest me as well. You were the head of a supernatural collective that until recently ran this city. Yes that power was based mainly on the willing servitude of Mimic demons but still, you ran it and have managed to keep your head after it's fall. I suspect no one understands the political structure of this city better then you, and you are a survivor. Naturally I am interested in getting to know you. If I made you feel slighted, I assure you it was not my intention."

He looked at Ben again and offered a soft smile of reassurance. He was drawn to this young vampire and he didn't know why. Seeing him on that stage, baring his soul, only to watch Lazarus tear and hurt him some more had tugged at him in a way he hadn't felt in a very, very long time. He didn't want to scare him away..

"When I said I would love to converse with you more, I meant you both, when I said I could call on you sometime, I meant you both and when I challenged you to come to me, I Meant You Both."

He sighed heavily. Maybe trying to appeal to their human nature might turn this disaster of a meeting around. He should have waited, found a better time. But patience had never been one of his virtues, well, not generally anyway and those storm clouds proclaimed time was running out.

" I recently became the District Leader for the North. Leadership is not a power I ever wanted. I prefer my freedom, but alas due to Jake McClouds recent snatching of land and the creatures he murdered to obtain it, I came to the conclusion I would rather Rule then Serve. You two have managed to move amongst all the power houses of this city, you have wielded this kind of power, survived it and managed to keep yourselves relatively free from committing yourselves to any political party that currently claims to run the city yet have some kind of bond with all of them. There in lays my true interest" he shrugged then laughed softly, deprecatingly. " I am not a goodly, kind or overly patient creature and I think I might be over my head, but if I am to rule then I wish to do it well. I thought you two might have the best ideas on how. However I wanted a chance to get to know you both better, a chance for you to know me, before I took that step."

He reached into his right pants pocket and pulling out his wallet, he opened it and retrieves a business card containing his phone number and the address for ShadowHaven Estate. He placed the wallet back in his pocket and took a step towards them both.

" I have been more honest this night then I have ever been with anyone outside of my most immediate circle" He offered them the card. " I still want that chance."

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 08:39:31 AM »
Ben's eyes widened and he internally cringed at Saraekiel's coarseness as he smiled and spoke about intercourse and misunderstanding. The dark angel had no tact, no compassion and no intellect. He'd literally just stepped out of a trial with Ben testifying that he'd been raped, and now he was being dismissive that Ben was suspicious of powerful men? Fuck off. This guy was next level oblivious. Ben also noticed that there was no apology.

Any desire he'd held for the golden-skinned man withered away, including hanging around here to talk to him. He didn't want to listen to Saraekiel's prattle anymore. Ben became stony-faced before he made himself relax again, figuring this was good practice for his own diplomacy. Because of his Academy, he was going to have to deal with people who he didn't like; to look past personality, to forgive those who'd insulted him, and to hire the best person for the job in spite of his personal opinion. Right now he didn't have a lot of staff. Anybody willing to teach was 'the right person for the job'.

When Sarakiel confirmed Ben's suspicions and outed himself as District Leader, Ben knew he'd have to deal with him whether he liked it or not. The Academy was going to pull students from all around the city and his future success hinged on his getting along with everyone. He had to push aside his contempt for Saraekiel's iron-fisted handling of Ben's vulnerability and focus on what could be done between them now.

Jake committed murder when he took the West? Ben thought but didn't say out loud. His introspect implied surprise but deep down he wasn't. Jake had passively threatened Ben in the limo and Charon believed that Ben had risked his life insulting Jake while he had a weapon handy. Ben hadn't seen that violent side when he'd been living in Jake's apartment though, but he'd also been kept in the dark. The rumours persisted, and he knew Jake had gone to war with the Sabbat. Had he taken the West as an act of war? Charon hadn't mentioned anything about murder. Surely he would have known who'd been cut down?

Ben could feel a secondary thrumming on his blood-bond. Ichabod was getting closer to them - he'd likely join them soon.

"Thanks, District Leader Saraekiel. We'll contact you soon," Ben promised, taking the card as he stressed the other's title to let him know Ben was taking the offer very seriously.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 05:30:28 PM »
Ichabod was becoming increasingly frustrated as he left the theatre, he could feel the tension through his blood bond with his sire and brother, but with the mass of people in the way he couldn’t get to them. He didn’t know who Sarakiel was, but his mind was instantly going to the bad (when the fuck didn’t bad stuff happen with Ben involved?).

As he turned the corner to see where the three stood Ichabod’s eyes widened and he let out a soft “Oh,” with a breath as his black eyes drifted over the angel’s wings. They were gorgeous, and Ichabod took half a step forwards, feeling an urge to touch them but resisting that by folding his hands in front of him. It took him a second to tear his gaze away from the angel to seek out his family.

Kerr was pissed, Ichabod could see if in his demeanour even if he hadn’t been able to feel it in their blood, and Ben’s mood had suddenly changed in that direction too. Ichabod reached out mentally to his family without words, wanting to get a better idea of how they were feeling – after all, Ben had just been grilled by the scum who raped him, he didn’t need to be out here being stressed out by…

An angel

… anyone.

“It’s over,” he said outloud, his gaze moving between the three figures. He’d already told Kerr, but they were both pissed and the angel didn’t look to be angry in return, so they might be wanting a way out of this.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 08:02:44 PM »
Kerr nodded and spared a smile for Ichabod as he arrived, slightly ahead of the swell of court-watchers streaming out of the theatre. Most had caught sight of the sky above and pulled their coats tighter about them as they hurried along the city streets towards home; quite a few threw sideways looks at their small group as they moved past. His hold on Ben loosened as Saraekiel explained his viewpoint (in detail so explicit Kerr suspected his and Ben's minds might have been read, along with their body postures), his hand brushing the small of Ben's back comfortingly.

The dark angel's interests were strategic and political, rather than personal; Kerr wasn't reassured, though he respected the guy's gameplay. It was always going to be one or the other.

Although Kerr wasn't about to melt into the angel's arms and embrace him as a soul-companion based on his declaration of uncharacteristic honesty, his attitude towards the other softened. Saraekiel wasn't going to press Ben for anything untoward and now they all knew where they stood. A new District Leader wanted to network with them and he was openly disapproving of Jake McCloud. It wasn't bad at all. Frankly, his approach now made a lot more sense and lifted the angel's political savvy in Kerr's esteem; he recognised his and Ben's value as resources when most others hadn't.

"You'll get your chance," Kerr promised Saraekiel with a decisive nod. "We'll be in touch."

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 12:41:27 AM »
Saraekiel nodded his head in greeting towards Ichabod, then again in acknowledgement at both Ben's and Kerr's words. Although at Ben's use of his title he guessed he had been reduced to a figurehead rather then a person in his eyes. he had done nothing but step wrong this evening and had mishandled their first meeting badly. However they had accepted his card and so maybe he would get a second chance to amend things between himself and Ben.

"Thank you, both of you. I shall await your call then"

With a few strong flaps of his wings he was suddenly airborne and hovered slightly above the small group and those others that were no gawking at him.

"I hope the rest of your evening is better then it has been so far. Good Night" he smiled at them before flapping his wings again and soared off into the night sky