Author Topic: The Longest Time  (Read 345 times)

Online Billiam

• Novelist
  • Anarch
    • View Profile
Re: The Longest Time
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 10:25:27 AM »
Lacy started taking notes, as the kid had cracked a lot faster than she thought he would. It was almost disappointing. She didn't even get to play bad cop. Still, she scribbled as he spoke of medical procedures and blindness. It explained the odd juxtaposition between where his eyes scanned and how he navigated, and it was all very interesting. However, it also sounded massively illegal. Human genetics testing and splicing with angels had to be unethical, and eighteen or not there was no way this guy could've fully consented, especially if he truly didn't know about the wings and swords. Was this all to really just make him not blind?

"It was the left," she confirmed, watching his reaction for authenticity.

"Okay kid," She began, leaning back in her seat and stretching her arms. "I need to know the name of the place that did this to you. I believe you're not responsible for what happened today, but someone is and I need to know who to charge. If you help in my investigation I'll get the DA to press no charges and let you go free. I'll also not give you to the vampires who run this part of town even though I'm supposed to. They will not be as reasonable as me I promise you that."

She crossed her arms over her chest and waited for an answer. She didn't comment on any of the bullying talk, or express empathy over his blindness. It wasn't that she didn't feel those things. It was that she needed to know he'd cooperate before she showed him any humanity. It was tough being a bitch, but somebody had to do it.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Prince~Rebel~Two-Face~Satanist~Spy~Wolf~Huntsman~Priestess~Rodent~

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 11:51:15 AM »
He curiously flexed his left hand, having winced a little in the process. He looked angry, after all under the fresh burn was what? A 10 year old burn scar. They knew. They had to have known. They purposefully kept it from him, that and the person who he was supposed to train with died in an accident. Was he that accident? Why didn't they tell him? He couldn't even figure out what the point of keeping that a secret from him was, but I suppose it made sense why they stopped teaching him how to fight. Guess they didn't want him killing any more of their projects. Also he began to believe maybe he wasn't bad at fighting as much as they wanted him to believe.

"I, actually don't know the name of the place." He fully admitted. "They tend to pick me up at various points in the city that they ask me to wait at. They mostly communicate with me via phone but they spoof their number. All the numbers in my phone the first 6 digits are all either 0s or 5s and the last 4 all being different." He then thought of something, something that might help Lacy out better, but he could still feel Dr. Hofflan's or at least someones presence in his mind.

"Can you get me a pen and paper please?" He asked, "My handwriting isn't the best, but I promise you, it should be readable." He was really hoping that Lacy was picking up on what he was trying to put down. He figured that if they were looking through his eyes, then they too wouldn't be able to read what he writes down, provided he doesn't look so they can't see how the pen moves, then he's hoping this should be his golden ticket so to speak.

Online Billiam

• Novelist
  • Anarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 12:02:52 PM »
Lacy's eyes narrowed and her mouth hung open just a tad. This whole thing was DEFINITELY illegal. Strange cars picking him up at various points sounded sketchy, and blocking out a phone number suggested criminal activity. She then heard his request for a pen and paper and tore a page out of her book and slid it over with her pen. She'd seen prisoners turn them into shanks before, but she was armed, and if he was going to attack her it would be with that sword and not her pen.

"Sure thing kid," she said in answer. "After you're done writing empty your pockets."

She wasn't sure what angle he was working, but she was clever enough to know he was working one. She would wait and play cool. If he was bullshitting it would be clear soon enough.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Prince~Rebel~Two-Face~Satanist~Spy~Wolf~Huntsman~Priestess~Rodent~

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 12:17:29 PM »
He closed his eyes and faced away from from the paper, as he gripped the pen in his left and used his right as almost like a guide so the letters wouldn't overlap one another at least, it was crooked but when he was done he slid them both back over to her. The lines were shaky but readable and clearly the penmanship was that of someone who couldn't really see what they were doing.

'They adopted me at 16 along with a 7 year old girl, after a newsstory caught their attention. 14 years ago I saved that girl from her dad. News stories would mention my blindness, that she was mentally disabled, and that her dad was a pedophile. I want there to be a papertrail. I want us to be free.' The note simply said, he was hoping it would lead Lacy to better answers than what he could give her.

After he slid that over he emptied his pockets, starting with his left pocket on his pants to pull out his phone and wallet. When he went for his keys in his right pocket, he also found a ziplock bag that he wasn't expecting. He was fairly confused by it as it felt like it had something soft inside of it to him. Either way he put it on the table for Lacy, he had no idea what it was but hoped that whatever it was, that it would help, not hurt, his situation.