Author Topic: The Longest Time  (Read 17142 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: The Longest Time
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 10:25:27 AM »
Lacy started taking notes, as the kid had cracked a lot faster than she thought he would. It was almost disappointing. She didn't even get to play bad cop. Still, she scribbled as he spoke of medical procedures and blindness. It explained the odd juxtaposition between where his eyes scanned and how he navigated, and it was all very interesting. However, it also sounded massively illegal. Human genetics testing and splicing with angels had to be unethical, and eighteen or not there was no way this guy could've fully consented, especially if he truly didn't know about the wings and swords. Was this all to really just make him not blind?

"It was the left," she confirmed, watching his reaction for authenticity.

"Okay kid," She began, leaning back in her seat and stretching her arms. "I need to know the name of the place that did this to you. I believe you're not responsible for what happened today, but someone is and I need to know who to charge. If you help in my investigation I'll get the DA to press no charges and let you go free. I'll also not give you to the vampires who run this part of town even though I'm supposed to. They will not be as reasonable as me I promise you that."

She crossed her arms over her chest and waited for an answer. She didn't comment on any of the bullying talk, or express empathy over his blindness. It wasn't that she didn't feel those things. It was that she needed to know he'd cooperate before she showed him any humanity. It was tough being a bitch, but somebody had to do it.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 11:51:15 AM »
He curiously flexed his left hand, having winced a little in the process. He looked angry, after all under the fresh burn was what? A 10 year old burn scar. They knew. They had to have known. They purposefully kept it from him, that and the person who he was supposed to train with died in an accident. Was he that accident? Why didn't they tell him? He couldn't even figure out what the point of keeping that a secret from him was, but I suppose it made sense why they stopped teaching him how to fight. Guess they didn't want him killing any more of their projects. Also he began to believe maybe he wasn't bad at fighting as much as they wanted him to believe.

"I, actually don't know the name of the place." He fully admitted. "They tend to pick me up at various points in the city that they ask me to wait at. They mostly communicate with me via phone but they spoof their number. All the numbers in my phone the first 6 digits are all either 0s or 5s and the last 4 all being different." He then thought of something, something that might help Lacy out better, but he could still feel Dr. Hofflan's or at least someones presence in his mind.

"Can you get me a pen and paper please?" He asked, "My handwriting isn't the best, but I promise you, it should be readable." He was really hoping that Lacy was picking up on what he was trying to put down. He figured that if they were looking through his eyes, then they too wouldn't be able to read what he writes down, provided he doesn't look so they can't see how the pen moves, then he's hoping this should be his golden ticket so to speak.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 12:02:52 PM »
Lacy's eyes narrowed and her mouth hung open just a tad. This whole thing was DEFINITELY illegal. Strange cars picking him up at various points sounded sketchy, and blocking out a phone number suggested criminal activity. She then heard his request for a pen and paper and tore a page out of her book and slid it over with her pen. She'd seen prisoners turn them into shanks before, but she was armed, and if he was going to attack her it would be with that sword and not her pen.

"Sure thing kid," she said in answer. "After you're done writing empty your pockets."

She wasn't sure what angle he was working, but she was clever enough to know he was working one. She would wait and play cool. If he was bullshitting it would be clear soon enough.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 12:17:29 PM »
He closed his eyes and faced away from from the paper, as he gripped the pen in his left and used his right as almost like a guide so the letters wouldn't overlap one another at least, it was crooked but when he was done he slid them both back over to her. The lines were shaky but readable and clearly the penmanship was that of someone who couldn't really see what they were doing.

'They adopted me at 16 along with a 7 year old girl, after a newsstory caught their attention. 14 years ago I saved that girl from her dad. News stories would mention my blindness, that she was mentally disabled, and that her dad was a pedophile. I want there to be a papertrail. I want us to be free.' The note simply said, he was hoping it would lead Lacy to better answers than what he could give her.

After he slid that over he emptied his pockets, starting with his left pocket on his pants to pull out his phone and wallet. When he went for his keys in his right pocket, he also found a ziplock bag that he wasn't expecting. He was fairly confused by it as it felt like it had something soft inside of it to him. Either way he put it on the table for Lacy, he had no idea what it was but hoped that whatever it was, that it would help, not hurt, his situation.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2019, 09:38:01 AM »
Lacy read the account, and it brought so many more questions than answers.Dreki seemed to want to keep these people from knowing what was going on, which begged the question. Were they watching? She needed to get Dreki to Sabrina. She might have magic that would let Dreki speak more freely. She pocketed the account, not trusting the other officers in the office to know what was going on. She wanted to ask so many questions, but now she was unsure what to say or who to trust. She examined Dreki's belongings as a way to stall while she thought about what to do.

The items were fairly common except the bag. She had no idea what was in it, and so avoided touching it. She figured this would be a safe route to question. Meanwhile she pulled out her phone and texted the front desk help line, requesting a new car. This party needed to move. She would take him to the Parlor.

"What's in the bag," she asked, as she typed. She wanted to tell him that she was going to help him, that he and the girl would be safe. However, with them listening, or watching, or whatever they were doing, it wasn't the right moment to make those kinds of assurances.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2019, 10:30:20 AM »
"Honestly I'm not sure." He mentioned, "I didn't have it when I went into my doctor's appointment today." He unziped it with shaking hands, not out of fear, but out of physical pain. He reached in and pulled out a bunch of paper. In particular one normal sized piece of paper, with about 8 smaller squares of paper. He looked confused as he couldn't tell what was all on it, but it was basically 7 prescriptions and notes on how to use them. None of the prescriptions were anything that people could form habits on or abuse, and by the note in the bag it was clear they expected someone to find Dreki. He felt the papers, trying to see if there was any from of bumps or holes he could read but there was none. The note mentioned the prescriptions would help specifically with Headaches, Seizures, GI Distress, Extreme changes in heartrate/bloodpressure, Fever, Pain, Breathing difficulties, and Muscle Weakness. The note mentioned that he might not even experience some of these.

He sighed and layed his head back down on the table, figuring that Lacy could read just fine. He felt nauseous, a mix from him being sick to nervousness as to whats going to happen. He closed his eyes in attempts to mild relaxation, but the look on his face did indicate he was in a bit of pain. He breathed through his mouth and it was a bit haggard as if it was a bit of a struggle trying to breathe. He was trying to relax the best he could while in the police department, but it was difficult, particularly with being questioned about all of this stuff, sitting down, the cold hardness that was the plastics and metals of the table and chairs. His vision and ability to see was certainly suffering for it, and he wasn't even sick before the appointment. He knew that Dr. Hofflan did something to him during that appointment, he just wasn't sure what.

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2019, 03:25:00 PM »
Clack clack clack clack.

You could set your watch to the report of her sensible heels on the way through the station. Her advance on the hapless desk jockies drew the attention of the assorted junkies and police personnel engaged in the cycle of justice in the precinct waiting area. Her lips, pressed into an impassive dash, bore a faint nude shade. Her eyes, implacably focused, were only faintly outlined. Her hair, auburn brown, was worn in a pixie that seemed more utilitarian than whimsical. She stood just over five-and-a-half feet in those heels, a far cry from a figure that most would consider intimidating, but she was intimidating all the same. Her garb was unremarkable save for its spotlessness and paucity of wrinkles- navy skirt, white blouse, navy jacket, probably off the rack. What she truly wore was authority. She was not a beautiful woman, but her compact, athletic form and severity blended (perhaps too soft a word) into something as it was untouchable.

She halted in front of the desk and waited to be addressed, holding a slim briefcase in unremarkable brown leather at her side.

"Ma'am...?" The green officer behind the desk glanced nervously to his right at a colleague who was suddenly paying very keen attention to the log book in front of him.

She withdrew a passport-sized folio from her briefcase and slid it toward him, all the while pinning him in place with her dull brown eyes.

"Agent Waters of the DHHS." Her tone was clipped, but mostly bored. Inside the folio was a slim badge and identification that would verify her identity under any degree of scrutiny. "Your captain should already have gotten a call." The officer was still looking over her credentials. He nodded egregiously.

"Umm, yes, ma'am, I mean, Agent Waters. If you'd like to have a se-" She cut him off with a glare. "Right. I'll just get my sergeant." He backed away slowly before quick-stepping off to find someone of a sufficient pay-grade. She reclaimed possession of her documentation, but kept it close in hand. The officer returned with a slightly older man who seemed decidedly less deferential- at least until he laid eyes on Agent Waters. He waved off his subordinate and approached her, keeping the desk between them.

"Captain Pask is occupied, but I've been instructed to assist you in any way I can." There was a grudging note to his tone. In his ample experience, the appearance of federal agents seldom meant less paperwork. "Would you like to come to the office? Coffee? Wa-" Again, a single glare. Her features weren't particularly expressive- it was just a hardening of the eyes, but it was undeniably effective.

"That won't be necessary. I'm here about a Caucasian male, mid-twenties, shoulder-length blond hair, involved in a recent traffic incident and disturbance report. He was taken here from the scene by one of your detectives, I understand."

The sergeant and officer shared a glance. "You work quick," the sergeant offered mildly. "Velez has him in Room 4." He smirked.

She stared at him. He had nearly a foot of height on her, but she managed to appear condescending all the same.

"Let me show you to her," he grunted, peeling away from the desk to do just that. A general sense of ease settled over the area as she departed.

"Gotta say, been on the job a while and never had a call from Health."

She didn't seem to have heard him. Clack clack clack clack clack.

The sergeant knocked heavily at the door to Room 4, eager to make Waters someone else's problem. For her part, the presumed agent of the Department of Health and Human Services waited at near-attention, her briefcase held with both hands against her hips.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2019, 03:43:26 PM »
Lacy looked at the various papers, and quickly transferred the name of the pharmacy the medications were prescribed to into her journal. She didn't touch the evidence directly but would be bagging it soon. This whole case was getting big. She had to move Dreki. If he was being watched then only Sabrina, Wren and Siobhan could protect him.

"Listen kid, I want to take you to a safe place. You have to trust I'm not with them."

She kept her voice free of attitude for once, even relaxing her stone cold eyes to try and show the kid a bit of heart. She was about to tell him to move, but then a knock came at the door.

Fuck!

"Stay seated," she instructed, getting up and moving to the door cautiously. She cracked it open, and looked at the suit and bad haircut on the other side. She had a slick edge Lacy didn't like, and her eyes narrowed.

"Yeah," she said bluntly, clearly giving the signal she wasn't needed or wanted here.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2019, 03:51:59 PM »
"Thanks" Dreki spoke in a genuine appreciative tone, despite sounding tired. He  was taking a leap trusting her, but he felt this was currently his best option. He winced as the door was knocked upon, as the noise bombarded his already debilitating headache. He did as Lacy asked and generally didn't move. He didn't want to move anyway, already feeling as sick as he did. Either he was going to vomit or collapse if he stood up right now anyway and just stayed in his seat, but would listen to the conversation. Thankful his ears were still as sensitive as ever thanks to his blindness, and the headache made things feel more sensitive than the usual. He was silently focusing on their interaction, he didn't like the fact that they were interrupted, and was concerned that this meant something bad.

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 01:18:38 PM »
The sergeant glanced between Lacy and Waters, measuring something. It was hard to tell exactly what he was wondering- maybe what they looked like without clothes on, maybe who could take whom in a fight, or maybe just which was the bigger bitch.

"This is Agent Waters. Captain says we should play nice." The words had a slight edge to them, and a note of commiseration. He wouldn't wish federal jurisdictional interference on his worst enemy. He offered both of them a nod before moving off.

Waters met Lacy's annoyed gaze evenly. "Thank you, sergeant," she imparted flatly without looking away from the detective who was partially visible through the slim gap between door and frame.

"I represent the Department of Health and Human Services." She remained still and unsmiling as she regarded Lacy. "If you could secure your suspect so we can speak privately, I'd appreciate your cooperation. This won't take long, I promise." She was brusque and commanding, but polite, and not unkind. Her gaze didn't drift from Lacy for an instant- no sneaked peeks through the door, no glances down the corridor. Her focus was intense, and possibly impressive.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2019, 09:09:36 AM »
Lacy didn't enjoy the way the woman spoke, so neutral and unnerving. The stare was impressive, as it was usually Lacy who gave them. Still, she'd stared down the major, the chief of police and the men who lived in her building, so she felt she could handle Miss Federal on the other side of the door. She weighed her options. The department was weird, Health and Human Services, and it concerned her that this facility may be legal. Then again, this bitch could be lying. She decided she could check her credentials while they spoke.

"Give me a minute," she barked, slamming the door in the other woman's face, a gush of hair puffing through the crack. She turned back to Dreki, and moved towards him, whispering quietly. "I'm going to lock you in and post one of my guys outside. Nobody will come in. Let me get rid of her." She reached out and grabbed the boy's hand. "I won't let her take you anywhere."

With that she stood up, and moved back to the door, opening it and pushing her body out quickly and slamming the door behind her. Despite the speed, her moments seemed still and in control. Her face read as hard bitch, and she definitely let this Fed know she wasn't here to make friends.

"We can speak in my office," she relented. "Officer Murphy," she called out to the rookie nearby. "Please get Officer Vasquez and post him in front of this door. Nobody in or out without my authorization. My authorization. Understand?"

The rookie nodded with the right amounts of fear and respect and scampered off. Lacy turned back to the pixie cut woman and crossed her arms, silent as she waited. The requested officer came and regarded Lacy with the respect given her rank, standing mute outside the door. Now satisfied her prisoner was well guarded, she barked, "follow me" to the other woman and took her into a private office a few meters down the hall.

It was nothing impressive. It looked worked in. Papers were in various states of organizations. There were no personal affects, or sense of being lived in. She had a single picture frame facing the inner side of her desk, invisible to the person sitting in the guest's chair. The furniture was wood with fake leather upholstery. "Sit down," the said,  doing so herself and lighting a cigarette. An ashy tray sat within her arms length. It was the first indication a single occupant used this space. "Well," she said expectantly, wanting this chat to be over quickly so she could move Dreki to the Parlor.     
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2019, 10:13:22 AM »
She remained impassive, giving the officer who would be guarding the door to the interview room a succinct appraisal before falling into step behind Lacy.

Clack clack clack clack.

She quartered the office neatly in a quick appraisal before easing into the seat on the outside of the desk. Once seated, she opened her briefcase and withdrew her identification. She leaned forward just enough to slide it halfway across the desk and then righted herself. Her posture was, probably unsurprisingly, impeccable.

She paused only long enough for Lacy to inspect her credentials. "I'd appreciate it if you could bring me up to speed regarding your suspect, Detective. I understand there was an automobile accident?" She let the briefcase rest on her lap, with her hands folded atop it neatly.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2019, 10:25:53 AM »
He listened carefully to this Agent Waters and Lacy quickly converse. It worried him that this person from the Department of Heath and Human services was here, and that Dr. Hofflan was incredibly quiet. He heard Lacy close the door and come back to him. He let her lock him down again without issue, not like he was going to go anywhere on his own anyway given how much like shit he felt. When she grabbed his hand, he lightly gripped hers to let her know he was indeed still listening.

"Thank you." He weakly said as he closed his eyes and rested his head on the table. He made note of her words that no one else would come in here nor that Lacy would let this person take him away from the police department. He would do his best to relax, chained to the table, and attempt to get some sleep in before she came back. It would be a very light sleep if at all so he would wake up again easily if bothered. He wondered what they were going to talk about. He declined his trip to a hospital after all, Dr. Hofflan even told him very harshly to decline it. He had an idea if for whatever reason Lacy's hand was forced. He was thinking in several ways to keep himself with Lacy for now until things got sorted out. He thought in Japanese in some attempts to keep Dr. Hofflan out of what he was planning.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2019, 04:26:00 AM »
Lacy took her time looking over the federal i.d. It had all the things it was supposed to have; the watermarks in the right places, the seal of the federal government appearing in direct light, even the cut of the badge was regulation. Agent Waters sounded like a fake ass name, but with nothing to base that on, other than the name sounding stupid, she relented that perhaps she was just being paranoid. She'd tell this woman the parts she'd tell any mortal officer, the stuff that would be going in her report.

"He was involved in a multi car pile up not far from here," Lacy began, keeping all emotion out of her voice. Well, she did let in her annoyance, but that had been present since she opened the door. "No deaths thankfully. He walked directly into the middle of traffic. One car stopped dead, another swerved into the shoulder. After that it was pile up for about an eighth of a mile back. My car was first on the scene."

She waited until the woman asked more specific questions. No use giving her more than was needed.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline suneater

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2019, 12:06:13 PM »
She listened, quiet and still. Her chin dipped once, a minimal nod, when Lacy seemed to be finished speaking. For the first time, her features held a readable expression: thoughtfulness.

"I'll level with you, Detective. Please understand that there are things that I can't tell you." Was that a note of sympathy in her voice? She leaned forward to retrieve her credentials and tucked them away before continuing.

"I have reason to believe that Dreki is in danger, and may pose a danger to others as well." She paused, and her lips pressed together. Lacy might get the impression that she was filtering through the information available, deciding what was and wasn't safe to share with a plain-clothes. "He spent some time at a facility run by individuals that the DHHS has been actively investigating for... well, I can't tell you how long. While there, it's probable that he was subjected to procedures that are decidedly not FDA approved." Was that a wry smile? It was gone as soon as it appeared, if it had ever been there at all. "I believe there's a high likelihood that they will attempt to locate him, and an equally high likelihood that he could help us finally get our hands on them." A slight edge entered her voice toward the end.

"They are not nice people, Detective. We've done the best we can for other... patients... but none have been coherent enough to give us anything tangible. He could be the key to all of it."

She'd been looking at Lacy all the while, making eye-contact, if it was available. Agent Waters was hard to read, but there were tinges of disgust, annoyance, and even a few shreds of hope sprinkled throughout her explanation. If Lacy noticed nothing else, it would be hard to miss the woman's defining quality: conviction.