Author Topic: Battle Of The Bitches  (Read 7058 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Battle Of The Bitches
« on: April 02, 2019, 02:51:19 PM »
They'd decided neutral ground was best. Yes, they'd seen eye to eye on that. It had been a simple negotiation and for that Jake was already entering this meeting with more openness than if she'd been - and no pun intended - cagey. They'd also agreed to come alone. That meant no aids, note tackers or security. Jake had brought his blade though. Zoheret always had hers ready to go, so he didn't consider it an unfair advantage. Besides, she'd probably seen him with it more times than without it. Jake's dislike of the bird had started during the job. She'd always come off so savage and dark.

Her beauty was haunting and intimidating, and Jake didn't like feeling lesser to anyone, especially the smug Zoheret. The truth was that he feared her, especially back then. He'd heard tales of her necrotic tough, and how even for vampires it took a long time to heal. Every moment, however brief, that he was alone with her he'd always wondered if it was finally time. She also looked through him. Day one on the job he went around to meet everyone, and she and Zeus had no time for him. They'd met in a hallway three days later and she'd barley looked at him. He'd learned to rely on Kerr, Quinn, and even Mr. Lowe, but never her. She and Vomas had seemed like pals, and look how that turned out.

Then the Oligarchy fell, and she'd made a total ass of herself at the meeting where it all ended. However, as a District Leader she'd actually been one of the more together ones. She ran her district well, and even though she was jet setting off to Greece, Jake couldn't call her a bad leader. Was she a soulless hell bitch who Jake had imagined killing multiple times? Yes. Did that mean on occasion they couldn't do business together? No. This was just that, business.

He'd chosen the museum as a neutral place, one where they could be private and yet mortals near enough to dissuade violence. He sat on the seventh floor, which held a wonderful exhibit on the history of music and art. He loved both so much, and was hoping that Zoheret was at the bare minimum cultured. In fact, he assumed she would be. It's why he'd picked this floor.

The Black Prince had dressed the part, an ebony colored suit, with matching shirt and tie. His sword lay across his back, the few mortals who said something were simply told it was okay. They'd agreed of course, and the'd even been nice enough to keep the area clear. His temporary mind slaves would let her enter, and once the meeting was over they'd have no memory of this at all. Such was the power of Dominate. He checked his watch. It was five till the top of the hour.

Was she punctual? Did she arrive fashionably late? Jake was curious to see Zoheret in action. He needed to speak with her, and had dangled prizes above her head to get her attention. He hoped that she'd listen to reason, but if she hated him as much as he hated her, well, that could prove difficult. Still, he thought something crazier. What if they actually got on? He'd enjoyed her joke at the trial. Maybe they'd just gotten off on the wrong foot. Crazier things had been true in Jake's eternity.

Zoheret would've been told the exact time and location. Jake had no back up, no agents to come to his recuse. He didn't fear her anymore, well, not as much anyway.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
Re: The Oligarchs
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 11:17:09 AM »
Her heels clacked like a countdown on the polished floors of the museum, something she happily played with upon her approach to Jake McCloud's position. Humans hummed and murmured nearby but otherwise mostly ignored her. She eyed the Brat Prince for a long moment from afar as he took his position, before making her way closer, purposefully announcing exactly where she was with that steady stride. Jake would be daft not to see her now.

She had told only Michele, her receptionist, where she was going and what business she had - after all the poor girl had to book the appointment, didn't she? The concern for the District Leader's safety was touching to Zoheret, but she assured the girl that everything would be fine. No, she didn't need backup - she was a Dark Angel and she had no intention of letting the brat get anywhere close enough to her to hurt her. Certainly not in so public a place.

As it so happened, today was a day she had taken for herself. She did no work, contacted no one, and enjoyed every last moment of it. The day had been a mild one, pale blue and partly cloudy, but she chose nevertheless to sit on her veranda and sip a prosecco and lime while thinking about the night's activities. Tonight she decided upon a very simple white dress - capped sleeves and a lovely dip that tastefully traced the curves of her breasts, the hemline just above her knees - and golden belt. The irony of her outfit, while not planned, was not lost on her and Zoheret knew exactly what she looked like. What proved even more amusing to the Dark Angel was the juxtaposition between Jake's outfit and hers.

"Good evening, Mr. McCloud," she said grandly, though purposely a bit on the nose, making the quiet decision to not address him by his title. Her tone was pleasant enough but she had a viper's tongue waiting for him - should he allow her the opportunity to use it. 

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Of The Bitches
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 03:10:23 PM »
The clacking of the heels, was the second clue Jake received that Zoheret approached. The first was the smell. Brimstone and sulfur clogged the Black Prince's nostrils, and he smiled at the revelation of her approach. Well, she hadn't disappointed on a entrance, those purposeful strides bearing down on the vampire like a woodpecker on a log. He rose from his seat, but kept his hands folded in front of him. He wasn't going to offer his skin to be charred, and he put nothing past his current dance partner.

The difference in their outfits was also not lost on Jake, and he assumed it had been a planned move. Everyone knew all black was his thing when working. So was this it? Was Zoheret the angel, and he the little devil? It seemed like her narrative. Still, despite his loathing of her, he loved the dress. When she called him Mr. McCloud, he gave her a mocking expression of hurt, pouting his eyes and making a tick sound.

"Zoheret, welcome. Thank you accepting my invitation. I have information I'd like to pass on, as I promised you I would if you attended. Then I was hoping we might chat about the current political situation. I am curious for your opinion."

He assumed it was a negative opinion, but perhaps letting her vent would give him an opportunity to reach her on the issue he hoped to sway her on. He was asking so little from her in reality, but she figured she might defy reason just to spite him. The unknowing made him nervous.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:31:21 AM »
Zoheret kept her distance from the little fool. She knew all too well about his impulsivity. "Chat, you say?" She feigned surprise, her delicately shaped eyebrows lifting. "What is there to chat about? The West has already been won. What more could possibly be said?" She abhorred his attempts at diplomacy. His words always seemed to the Dark Angel a peasant's attempt at refinement, his actions dramatic, his decisions reckless. She did well to keep her distance from him, even as an Oligarch.

The Dark Angel stood tall with her weight evenly distributed, moving the blonde waves from her shoulder. Beneath their glamour, she stretched her wings out high and fluttered them back down against her back.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 11:44:55 AM »
Jake smiled at the dark angel as she mocked him. She thought herself so clever, so above the rest of it all. She didn't realize that her time on this earth was temporary and like him, she could be destroyed. She still saw herself as in heaven on high looking down on the lesser folks. Her phrase how the west was won made him laugh. He never knew she could be so cinematic.

"But under that logic you wouldn't get to tell me off," he joked, making it sound like something she yearned for. He moved around her, not getting closer but mimicking an almost shark like behavior. "If not to discuss things then why come at all," he asked. "It can't just be for my information."

It could be, but what a waste of her time, and his. He'd honor his word but he'd be greatly disappointed in his fellow district leader if she wouldn't even speak to him. Hatred or not, it was just bad politics.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »
She was going to do a lot more than simply tell him off, but all in good time. For now, Zoheret watched the vampire as he circled her, following him only as far as she could with a turn of her head, should he go that far.

"The first rule of governance, McCloud, is knowing better than to discuss events past when your success lies in the future." Silently, she fluted her wings again to a safe distance away from her back, protectively, keeping them invisible to the whelp. They were just within his predicted circle that he was making around her position and Zoheret kept them teeming with a current of power in case the Brat Prince decided to make a lunge for her. She hoped the moment would come. "The city couldn't care less what your motivations were. You've kicked in the door and invited strife in like a lover.

"So yes," she crossed her slender arms over her breasts, keeping her eyes on McCloud the best she could without giving into his game, "I am curious to see what information you think you have."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 01:19:45 PM »
Jake liked her advise about governance, and she might even see him appreciate it if she was capable of seeing such things. However, he wasn't here to discuss events of the past, morose the present, but he could forgive her for thinking he meant this little session to be an explanation as to why he took the west.

"I couldn't agree more," he said, not trying to shit with her for the moment. "But I'm not the only one making noise and causing issues. A necromancer set a whole horde of zombies loose in the north. And a little bird tells me your name is on her lips." The first bit had come easy, but that last little morsel he'd had to pay for, and it hadn't been cheap. Still, it was reliable intel from a reliable source.

"But that's not why I brought you here," he continued. "I am here to discuss the current political situation in the North District." 

He said nothing more for the moment. He wanted to see how she'd react to all he'd said so far.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
Zoheret huffed indignantly at the comment about the necromancer she knew absolutely nothing about. "I am allied with the Northern District. Why would I enable any upstart there?"

He was always so eager to talk. it made her want to hurt him all the more, to set the little brat in his place amongst the rabble. She did not want to discuss his reasons. She did not want to see his point of view. She wanted his face beneath her heel and his name dragged through the mud.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 03:41:45 PM »
"So you're allied with the north," Jake said almost in confirmation, face brightening at the thought. Either Zoheret had just slipped up or was planning on announcing this alliance soon anyways, but he loved she'd told him in frustration. He wondered if Charon already knew. He stopped walking and moved his hands to his hips for a moment, looking at her like she'd been naughty.

"And I never meant to suggest you were encouraging this necromancer. I'm just giving you the heads up she's asking for you. A tip, Oligarch to Oligarch."

He found a bench and sat, never taking his eyes off the other leader. "Well since... Sara? Sarahapa? Kielasar? Well... whatever his name is, since he now speaks for the north he should know that I've heard his claim may not be so secure. Now, I know what you're thinking and I have nothing to do with it."

That was actually true. It might not stay true though. He'd been asked for support, and he was seriously tempted to give it. He had his own troubles in the west though, and was more likely to place his resources there than in the northern conflict. He knew all to well the name of the new bird in town was Saraekiel. He was just being flippant for flippancy's sake.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 04:15:42 AM »
She raised a crafted eyebrow at him as he sat, facing him into that same powerful stance. Her wings stretched and stood at full length - now that he wasn't behind her, still under her glamour. If he could have only seen them - deeply bloody in color like a slaughter, dwarfing her with their height and breadth. Of course she was allied with the North. Surely he wasn't that daft. The vampires stuck together like thieves, why couldn't the Angels? She thought it was actually pretty obvious herself. Charon and Sabrina knew already. Was he really the last one to know? The thought made her crack a smug smile, and say nothing.

"I'm curious," she said on the very tail of his comment about the unrest, almost cutting him off before he finished. "Why are the occurrences in the North such a concern of yours? Don't you have the West and Central to worry about? I'd imagine that the management of the two most populated Districts would be a tad more important than the cares of another District." There was an undercurrent of unsaid meaning that lingered in the spaces of each sentence.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 04:54:08 AM »
Jake watched her powerful stance, knowing wings were there, even if he couldn’t see them. He was happy he couldn’t. If he could, they’d scare the shit of him. However, he was allowed the ignorance that the Masquerade so dutifully provided, and he crossed his legs as if they were out to brunch and gossiping about boys. He listened to her criticism, that thinly veiled mind your own business that reeked of insecurity.

“Well for one, I can multitask,” he explained, implying she didn’t have that skill if she could make the critique. “Also, because I don’t think the fire that will light this city ablaze comes from my house. No. The west will be turned over to a new District Leader. I am simply a custodian until a proper leader emerges.”

And one that’s loyal to me, he neglected to add. He’d gotten the idea from Charon. The best way to rule the west was through another, and he assumed it would have to be a demon if the ruse was to work.

“No, the north is where I think this city’s problems lie, but now that I know you are Sarah’s ally, I’m not sure if I should tell you what problems are coming his way. I wouldn’t want to be accused of taking sides. Pity.”

Be curious about that sweetheart.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 07:11:47 AM »
"A good samaritan doing your duty for the benefit of the immortal city," she laughed bitterly, her voice slick with sarcasm. "How good of you." She could see right through that little ruse of his. "You've already lit the fuse, darling, with your greedy little stunt in the West. Had you let the city lie, we may have had a new District Leader who cared about his people. Now, we have a Brat Prince who has broken his new toy." Zoheret smiled coldly at the vampire.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 09:25:06 AM »
Jake scoffed and rolled his eyes as the bitch mocked him. She didn't quite evoke the anger that Ben did, and Jake considered for a moment that the toxic little headmaster had toughed his resolve, or at the bare minimum raised his tolerance for bullshit. He should thank him... or not.

She might even registrar his souring mood, the way his mouth went from a smug smile to a thoughtful frown. However, then she made a big mistake and he started to laugh. His boyish features made him look like a middle school prankster. He got up and flipped his blade easily into his hand to where now he could hold it. It remained sheathed.

"Oh my god. I'm so sorry Zoe. I really am. It's just... that's the first time you ever refereed to me as a prince!"

He knew it was an insult, but considering she started with Mr. McCloud to hear her use the word at all tickled him.  "Listen, ignore my warning about the north, get dragged into the shifter vs. werewolf vs. dark wolves conflict that's brewing since you and Hackeysack are so close. Or... do the smart thing you've always managed to do, and let us poor beasts tear one another apart. At the end of the day, you'll be standing there pretty, smart and above the rest of us."

He was ready to defend himself if she attacked. He figured calling her Zoe might do it, and he hadn't come here to fight to the death. Would she be so petty to risk eternity over his mouth? He considered she might.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 09:44:50 AM »
Anger, pure and biting flooded into her neck and shoulders, flowing into her cheeks and down her chest. The humor, however dry it happened to be, drained from her expression and she became menacingly frigid, her face sneering with her rage. The Dark Angel stood taller, extending the wings and flapping them quickly at him. He would feel a strong current quickly fill the room, one that came directly from her. She hoped and expected to push him from his comfortable stance near her. Her crimson wings remained extended, sparkling with her hatred of him.

Somewhere she registered that he had moved the blade but it hadn't been enough to control her temper from slipping out of her mouth. "You are a petty, spineless little creature," she hissed lowly with acid on her tongue. "I patiently await the day the sun finds you and yours." She smiled darkly and turned to leave.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 09:53:54 AM »
Jake felt the gust, but placed his back foot down and let his Fortitude root him in place. The trick did have an effect though, and Jake quickly unsheathed his blade, his face covered in fear. He knew it. She was going to touch him, burn him, scald him like all the rumors said. Vampires feared aggravated damage like that, their ability to heal less useful for things like this. He swore for only a moment he saw those wings, but as he blinked he wasn't sure what he saw. She would see the reaction she'd gotten. How could she not?

"Zoheret," Jake called, hoping to draw her attention. Either way he added, "love the dress."

He winked at her. The line was petty, and he tried to muster his normal level of snark, but he was shaken and so it came out somewhat less confident. Still, the seed was planted. Jake assumed she'd be so paranoid that she'd begin to doubt this new alliance. All he needed her to do was go to Greece. After all, how long could she really stay away?

/end
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.