Author Topic: Reclamation  (Read 14595 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Reclamation
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2019, 04:49:00 PM »
Kerr's mouth twisted and he shoved his hands into his pockets, watching Ben's excessive display. The implication that it was his fault lay between them, unspoken but no less accusatory for all that. He trusted Jake in business and Ben didn't, so Ben had followed his lead and now clearly regretted it. Which meant he didn't trust Kerr's judgment. That hurt.

"Well, good luck to him. If he can do it fifty times faster than we could, then he's obviously the better man. To the victor go the spoils," Kerr shrugged again, his voice carefully devoid of emotion because he didn't want to share his hurt. He carefully sterilised his mood, locking it down so that it wouldn't travel along their blood bond - though his retreat from Ben would be noticeable due to the absence of their recent open connection. It hadn't been that long since he'd been shielding himself from Ben; it was easy to regress.

"Do you want to go back to Penbrook tonight?" he asked coolly, glancing away, towards the doors to the city. They wouldn't exit that way, their car was in the underground car park but he was gauging how much night they had left and whether the trip was feasible. "It might make you feel better."

Charon fixes all my messes, why not this one? he thought but didn't say.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2019, 04:58:31 PM »
To the victor goes the spoils?
To the victor goes the fucking spoils?

The next question gave him pause, and then the reason why had him standing apart, instantly locked in place and no longer making an excessive demonstration. He turned his head and assessed his partner in love and eternity. Yes, Ben had been dramatic, but instead of an apology, he was getting shade. It was proof he was influencing Kerr as much as he was being influenced. It made it... better, somehow.

"No," he replied, his voice steady as though he hadn't been freaking out just seconds ago. "He's not stupid enough to make a move against you. He doesn't have a lot of people in his corner so even he has to know it would be dumb to risk you going after him financially when he's already being challenged territorially."

And Ben didn't even know all the challengers yet - at this stage he was thinking of Saraekiel only.

He watched Kerr with interest, to see what his sire would do now that he'd calmed down.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2019, 05:15:35 PM »
"Yeah. Something like that," Kerr lied, walking over to the lift and pressing the button. The doors opened immediately because no-one else was in the building to call the lift away from where it had deposited them when they'd brought the mortals down.

Kerr stepped inside and turned to watch Ben, despising the fact that he'd read his motives so wrongly but uncertain he had the energy or ability to convince Ben otherwise. He was determined to hate Jake and see nothing honourable in him but that wasn't Kerr's experience or point of view. It was easier to bite his tongue and they could agree to disagree.

He waited for Ben to step in and select a button because he wasn't actually sure whether the 'No' had been about going to Penbrook or in response to Ben's thoughts about Jake. He'd figure it out when Ben sent them up or down, he supposed.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2019, 05:20:42 PM »
Ben followed Kerr into the lift, disliking this new silence between them but unsure how to fix it. He didn't want to run away to Penbrook again - it would feel like going backwards. He'd been going backwards enough, now was the time to change direction.

He pressed the up button and looked at Kerr curiously.

"'Something like that'?" he challenged, because Kerr had bizarredly implied that he'd been thinking the same sort of thing Ben had. He knew his sire well enough to know there was no way in hell he'd be so calculating. Kerr was smart - in so many ways smarter than him - but he was more trusting when it came to others' motivations. So why go along with Ben's reasoning? Why pretend?

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2019, 05:40:02 PM »
Kerr's tongue rolled around inside his mouth, his teeth clamping on the stud inside it as he considered his answer carefully. Ben knew he was lying so why didn't he also know he was just trying to keep the peace? Why force them into a fight?

Because he's Ben and he doesn't let shit go. Ever.
It's one of the things you love about him.
Well. Tolerate, maybe.
Welcome to having the whole package: love so high it'll knock you out, differences so big they'll bury you.
Yay, love.

He took a breath and expelled it through his nose, trying to shed his cynicism with it. "I don't want to fight about Jake. He's not worth our time or angst. But he said he'd keep the information you gave him to himself and I believe him. In business, I could always trust him. He has got a lot going on right now - too much to bother with going against us and risking an extensive court case  - but that's not the point. It's not my point. My point is that I don't believe he'd go against me because it's not decent. And you saying he will only shows you don't trust me or my judgment," he admitted, looking at Ben pensively.

it was harder to keep his emotions under wraps when he was forced to explain them.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2019, 05:49:50 PM »
There was a lot to unpack in that short declaration. Ben was silent as the box travelled upwards, but before they reached their destination, he gave his reply.

"You believe him, you trust him, these are not things I don't know," Ben said, sounding as careful as Kerr had because he didn't want his statement to be considered a slight or a mocking, because it wasn't. It was just Kerr, believing the best in everyone, and if he didn't think that way then Ben wouldn't have had chance upon chance upon chance from him. He would never squash that in his lover - it was something to love him more about. "But your experience with him has been incredibly different from mine. You learnt about him when you were in power. I learnt about him when he was in power. I feel like I know the real him while you just caught him playing nice. The most alarming thing I know about Jake is that he thinks he's a good person, and that's how I think he's fooling you."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2019, 06:38:57 PM »
Ben's point was well made and Kerr rubbed his forehead as it furrowed under the weight of his thoughts. He didn't speak, in favour of thinking, watching the doors open when they got to the penthouse level and strolling through them with both hands back in his pockets. He wandered back to the lounge, smelling the recently-departed mortals and the aroma of blood they'd left in their wake almost wistfully. Things had certainly become more complicated since then. He sat at the right end of a couch, his elbow on the arm and his fingers rubbing across his lips as he stared out at the city lights ruminatively. He was aware that Ben was with him but he didn't want to complicate his emotions by interacting with him until he'd got it all sorted out in his head. The implication that he was being foolish in any way scared him and he needed to figure out his perspective.

There was no getting around the fact that Jake McCloud was a son of a bitch and Kerr was pretty sure even Jake knew that. Unlike Ben, Kerr had seen Jake suffer through bravado, the threat of death and stark fear on the battlefield. He'd exulted in the terror of going up against the Sabbat in much the same way as all beings did after living a very long time; an end should've come to them centuries before and there was always a sense of their time on the planet being borrowed from fate. They did their best to fend it off, even while something old and natural in them hungered for it all to be over. Death was a void yet it was also the last unknown for creatures such as they and Jake had faced it with understandable lust and hatred.

Inherent in that philosophy, however, was the nature of change to affect beings of longevity. He had gone through many phases in life himself and he knew it to be the same for Jake. Ben was so young in comparison to them, though that didn't mean he was seeing the same person Kerr was and just tarring him with the brush of his choice. What Ben said and saw were true - for him - and he likely had seen a new evolution in the life of Jake, one that Kerr hadn't been privy to. But did that mean he was being a fool for trusting what he knew? No, because Ben's logic was flawed.

Neither Kerr nor Jake believed either of them were good people, not after such long lives. Too many mistakes had accumulated for that to be true for either of them and he was confident in that knowledge. Did it mean Jake would straight-up lie to his face, though? He didn't think so but Ben did. Ben believed he'd scheme against and betray them at the first opportunity and that Kerr had made the fatal mistake of giving him the tools with which to do it tonight. Frankly, he didn't think Jake could be bothered but Kerr also thought he was true to his word. No, he wasn't a good person but his word was his bond.

"You're wrong, in a way," he told Ben softly, finally turning to look at him. "I don't think Jake's a good person and I don't trust him on a personal level - how could I, after he locked you in with a monster and didn't have the sense or forethought to see how that could all go wrong? But you're right in that I trust he has a code and thet he'll honour what he says. It's... maybe it's because we're about the same age but I think it's more than that. It's about everything changing, everything twisting this way and that for fucking centuries and having to cling to something to make sense of it. Something to be true north.

For me and Jake, I think that's a sense of honour - oh, not in the gimmicky comic-book sense, but in the real sense of only ever saying what you mean and meaning what you say. Because if you don't have that, you'll swing wildly in any direction as the wind blows. Life and the people you interact with will sway you anyway, there's got to be something to right your course in amongst it. You're right about you and I having different knowledge of him but I can tell you I've never caught him playing nice. Because he's not nice. I think he's an absolute asshole but so am I, so is everybody when the pressure's on. I'm not foolish. I'm just old and he's old and... I understand what is at his core, even if you understand the surface better than I do," he finished wearily.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2019, 08:36:20 PM »
Ben sat adjacent to Kerr, watching his sire think and allowing him the space and time to do so.

When Kerr spoke and declared his understanding for Jake's point of view, and even put himself in the same category as that dumb fuck (so insulting to himself), Ben thought that Kerr would never see it. He didn't acknowledge that Jake had nurtured his hatred just as surely as Kerr had nurtured his love. Jake had gone out of his fucking way to intimidate him, to demean him, and to debase him.

"Don't compare yourself to him ever again," Ben said coldly, repulsed by the idea. "When he took me from Haven Crest, he didn't ask, he bullied. When he questioned me about the Academy and didn't like my answer, he put his hand on his sword and threatened to throw me from the moving car. He doesn't ask for help, he demands it. He doesn't earn respect, he orders it. He is the opposite of you in every way. You might not consider yourself a good man but at least you try. All he does is whatever he wants and then wonders why nobody likes him." Ben pressed his lips together for a moment, his short speech said evenly and without a raised voice but still with emotion in his words. "You accused me in the elevator of not trusting you or your judgement. When you tell me that you understand his core and that my understanding of him is shallow, my respect for you lessens. You have dismissed me and my first-hand experience with Jake because I am young. I know you lived with a dangerous fuck for centuries and Jake doesn't compare to the unpredictability of Sawyl... barely" Ben used his thumb and index finger to pinch the air to show that he considered Jake unpredictable as well, "but I'll remind you that I've dealt with a number of dangerous fucks in my young life... and I survived them all. So trust me on this; Lazarus is nothing on Jake because Lazarus you could see coming. Jake would end me before you recognised him as a threat. Imagine if he found out tonight what we're really up to?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2019, 08:46:55 PM »
Kerr frowned, tilting his head as he looked at Ben. "I know. Didn't I just say that?" he queried.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2019, 09:01:22 PM »
Ben felt like he'd been slapped. The curt reply almost dismissive, like Ben hadn't had to go through all that trouble to explain how he was feeling. An outpouring of emotion that he thought would at least have Kerr treat it like it was personal. Agreeing without attachment.

I know.
Didn't I just say that?

No... no he fucking hadn't. Kerr, in rebuttal, had more or less said 'fine, whatever'.

"Nothing like it. You spoke some poetic shit about dangling in the wind and true north, declared Jake has honour and a code, then fed me some bullshit about being old."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2019, 09:24:47 PM »
"I'm sorry, I'm obviously not doing a very good job of this," Kerr shook his head, reproaching himself as he sat up properly, leaning towards Ben with his hands pressed together. He thought he'd agreed but his words were clearly too flowery; best to be frank.

"To put it bluntly, I agree with you. I see what you're saying and I wasn't arguing with you, I was just making parallel points. I only trust Jake's word with regard to business. That's it. Otherwise, I trust your assessment that he's changed from the trustworthy man I dealt with to an unhinged cunt that's willing to behead his own mother to get ahead. Your point in that regard was eloquently made. You're young, sure, but when have I ever held that against you? I'd never dismiss you. You've lived a lot of life in your years - more than most in four centuries, I'd hazard - and you're wise. I said you understand his surface, meaning the outside he presents to the world. I'm not implying that your understanding is shallow, that's your word. Don't lose respect for me because of a misunderstanding, okay? Wait until I do something to deserve it," he finished with a sad half-smile, hoping to dial the mood down from life-threatening insanity to a minor grumble with his attempt at humour.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2019, 09:42:48 PM »
Ben considered it, remembering that Kerr had used the word 'surface' and Ben had believed it meant something different. He'd been riled up so it was hard to come down from that, even if the insult was misconstrued, but he knew he'd be able to bring it back to normality. Why was he like this? Why did his passion always win out and Kerr's reasonable qualities always have to settle him down? It was a failing, he thought. It was...

It was something Jake did. Letting his emotions get in the way of reason.

Ugh! That repulsive feeling stole over him again and he closed his eyes. Kerr would see the disgust on his face and he hoped that his sire wouldn't think it was about him.

Sorry, he sent to Kerr, and he was having trouble communicating further because he was too frustrated and annoyed at himself.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2019, 10:01:52 PM »
Kerr rolled off the couch and positioned himself at Ben's feet, resting his cheek on his knee and hugging Ben's calves sorrowfully.

No, I'm sorry. I got hurt, thinking you didn't trust my opinion and I should've just been honest about that. In trying to avoid an argument, I made it worse. Lesson learnt. You'd think someone as old as me would know better.

He lifted his cheek off Ben's leg and rested his chin on his knee, smiling boyishly up at him and fluttering his lashes to let him know he was joking.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2019, 10:12:12 PM »
He wasn't fully down yet from his angry, annoyed state, and comparing himself to Jake had just left a residue of dissatisfaction in him. He gave a poor attempt at a smile.

We talked about it. The misunderstanding didn't last long. Only as long as my speech.

He liked making speeches. Hopefully one day it would work in his favour. He ran his hand over Kerr's stubbly hair, liking the feel of it on his palm.

Can we go to bed? Do you mind just holding me?

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2019, 10:42:22 PM »
Kerr stifled his disappointment and shook his head, his smile becoming less playful and more compassionate. He got to his feet and bent down to scoop Ben up off the couch, carrying him bridal style towards their room.

Are you kidding? It's a damn privilege to be able to hold you every day. You make waking up each night worth it.

He pressed his lips to Ben's temple as he walked, casting aside his thoughts about what he'd rather be kissing, in favour of planning ahead. Tomorrow night they'd go looking for Digital so they could get their app underway. Then they wouldn't have to argue about being beaten in any form. Jake McCloud didn't deserve all the attention he was getting and he certainly had no place coming between them and souring their relationship.

It was time to get serious about looking after their own interests.