Author Topic: The Scattered  (Read 16818 times)

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
The Scattered
« on: April 05, 2019, 12:15:28 AM »
Open for anyone--demons preferred.  Feel free to jump in at any time!

Glistening in glorious sweat, Fler emerged from the magical sphere leaving behind a bloody, panting opponent.  It had been a while since they had the chance to just kick the shit out of someone.  The young wolf had put up a good fight but at the end of the night, Fler was just faster.  It was nice to blow off some steam and make a chunk of cash at the same time.  After getting paid and shaking their opponent's hand, Fler headed over to their duffel bag for a towel to wipe down.  The cheer of spectators that had died down at the demon’s exit picked up again as another pair stepped into the circle for a fresh match.

Ever since the vampires swept through the West and taken down their leader, Inferno’s group dynamic hadn’t been the same.  They used to do face-offs against one another in a ring.  No powers or anything--just fists.  There was really nothing quite like punching your family in the face.  No one ever really got hurt or angry--it was nice.  But there was no more of that now.  Most of the others just didn’t feel up for it.  It was like the fire was just gone.  Fler wasn't thinking about any of that during the fight.  The physicality of it placed them firmly in their body and out of their head.  That would be wearing off soon, though.

After toweling down the back of their neck, Fler uncurled their long scarlet braid and let it fall to the small of their back.  Retrieving their wallet from the bag, they shoved the prize money--save a $50--inside and stuffed it into the pocket of their loose black shorts.  Sweat and the occasional splatter of blood had soaked through their red tanktop but they didn’t appear phased by this.  With duffel bags zippered up, Fler slung it over their shoulder and made their way to the bar in the main club. 

It was time for a well-deserved drink.

The fire demon plopped down on one of the barstools closest to the guarded entrance to the back room and made eye contact with one of the bartenders.  Fler stretched their arms over their head and tilted their head from side to side, neck cracking with a series of satisfying pops.  It was pretty busy tonight and the bartender nodded, still in the middle of making a few other drinks. 
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
Re: The Scattered
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 09:34:27 AM »
She looked over at the fire demon that now sat next to her, then looked back at her drink again, taking a puff of her red colored cigarette, which seemed to match her shirt of the night. She wasn't there much for the fights as she was for the drinks, but she watched. She watched to see who was strong and who was weak, and used this as a way to gather information about others around the city. She hated the new way this city was ran, she hated the vampires, and if any of them ever fought here, she would silently root against them.

She wondered who the next fighting couple group would be as she took a sip of her drink. She wasn't much of a fighter herself but it was a way to pass the time and to get out of the house from time to time was to watch the fights.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 05:16:22 AM »
The Bartender finally free, Fler ordered an Old Fashioned and had it in their hand in no time.  After a couple of sips, they turned to the smoke demon.

"Hey, can I bum a cigarette?"  they flashed a charming smile and took a sip of their drink.  "I'll buy your next drink." 
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 02:21:23 PM »
She pulled a nice metal cigarette holder out of her pocket, with a mermaid sculpted design to it and opened it up, showing an assortment of colors of cigarettes with a gold wrapped filter. She held it up to Fler letting them choose their color.

"They aren't flavored different, so choose whatever color tickles your fancy" She said with a small smile, watching, mostly to see what color they did choose. Sometimes a color could tell a lot about a person, sometimes not. She would never say no to a free drink however, particularly if all she had to trade for it was a simple cigarette. She had plenty in a few cases in her pockets, she always had some on her to spare.

"Good fight you had, enjoy it?" She asked figuring to get to know her bar neighbor who was going to be buying her next drink wouldn't hurt.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 01:47:30 AM »
"Thanks, sister,"  Fler picked the same color red as the smoke demon, taking it with a smile and fishing a match out of their pocket.

"Yeah, you were watching?  Helped blow off some steam." They smiled, placed the match strike-side into their mouth and struck it alight against their teeth.  Fler touched the flame to the pretty red cigarette , placed it in their mouth for a quick puff, and shook the still-lit match out in their other hand.

"Made a bit of money too," Fler grinned "but I did it mostly for the fight." Needed it, they thought to themself, sipping at their drink.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 05:40:41 AM »
She nodded as once the cigarette was chosen, she closed the case and placed it back in her pocket. She took a puff of her own while she listened, someone who enjoyed fighting more than just earning the money, that interested her.

"Yeah, I don't fight much myself, but I enjoy watching them," She mentioned taking a sip from her current drink, "Allows me to see just what kind of groups have since infested the city after the vamps took over, it was exciting to have watched you win" she casually was paying attention to Fler's reaction as she made mention of the past, she even wondered if Fler was around the city for that event when it took place.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 07:14:39 AM »
Fler nodded and smiled, taking a long drag and skillfully blowing a couple smoke rings. 

"You lose someone too?" They looked thoughtfully at the glowing tip of the cigarette before turning to face her.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 08:12:46 AM »
"Yeah, my parents," She took a drag of her cigarette, "I took over after them. Decided it was best to become quiet and not do anything to not lose any more of my extended family. Some disagreed and got themselves killed. can't say I didn't warn them." She mentioned, finishing her current drink now.

"You?" She asked, not quite ready for her free drink yet

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 08:30:38 AM »
"Shit," Fler shook their head and exhaled a puff.  "Seems like everywhere you look someone's lost someone." They tossed back their drink and motioned at the bartender for another round for the pair.

"Our leader was killed.  He was hot-headed and everything went so damn fast.  No efforts at deescalating the situation or nothin' just poof."  They made a gesture with both hands to punctuate the last word.  "A fuckin' shame.

"Name's Flereous, by the way."  They stuck out their hand to shake,  "You can call me Fler if you want."  A cute smile, another drag on the cigarette. 

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 08:36:22 AM »
"I'm Noelle" She said and shook their hand, smiling back, "I don't have a cute nickname, sorry about that." She joked in response to Fler's nickname.

"Yeah, they didn't bother to bargain with my parents either, didn't warn them to stop or anything. You can't quite expect to randomly appease someone if they don't make their wants and the consequences known. It certainly became known after that however." She spoke candidly about the event. It was long enough ago that she was numb the the pain it brought.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 08:51:47 AM »
The Bartender returned with the drinks as there was a pause in the conversation.  Fler muttered a quick thanks and took to swirling the orange garnish slowly around in the glass as they smoked.

"It's a whole lot of bullshit," they said finally, "I'm sorry it happened to you, too."  They gingerly picked up the glass and touched a bit of the alcohol to their tongue before setting the glass back down.

"We've been having a hard time bouncing back.  Coming here to fight is pretty much the only way I'm dealing with it at the moment."  They smiled sadly.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 11:48:50 AM »
"Honestly, I wish there was something more we could do." She mentioned taking a sip of her new drink as well. "But I'd rather not see too much more tragedy in the lives of those I care about." She looked down into her cup, swirled it around a bit, she seemed dissatisfied with her life at the moment, but also didn't want to put others at risk unless, unless they could get an army. But she doubt that could happen, after all, most demons had gone into hiding over what had happened, those who didn't get killed that is.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 08:20:58 AM »
(OOC: Sorry I forgot about this thread!)

Flereous glanced around inconspicuously before replying.

"I have heard rumors," they began, lowering their voice and leaning closer to Noelle, "that he is back."  They took another look around to make sure they weren't going to be overheard and leaned in to whisper.  "Our Oligarch." 

It was just whispers, words on the streets.  Most times Fler didn't put much stock into rumors.  Some folks were saying that he never left.  Others said he was in hell, gathering an army to take over the city.  One asshole insisted he was being held a prisoner in McCloud's basement--yeah fuckin' right.  One chick was even looking for him--everyone thought that she was crazy.

Fler hadn't had the guts to go check out the Block themself yet.  Wild stories about that place gave them the creeps.  They might've been a fire demon but there were some types of creepy that you just didn't fuck with.  Not without backup, anyway.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 04:52:40 PM »
Her look of concern for her fellow kin, turned into a most excited smirk. She looked over toward them as if it where Christmas and she was expecting a life dream for a gift.

"Oh? Any idea on his whereabouts?" She asked ready to make herself known to him again and offer help in anyway that she could. When her chosen family would next get together, she will have some great news for them at the very least. She wasn't sure if she would go right away, at the very least not alone. She would run someone out to gain info if she were to go alone, after all that has happened, she wasn't going to needlessly risk her life, even if she could escape easy. Escaping naked was not something she enjoyed either.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 11:46:12 PM »
Fler gave Noelle a quick glance, noting the excited look on her face.  The excitement would've been contagious if Fler wasn't so jaded about the whole ordeal.  Part of them was very bitter about the fact that he wasn't around during the takeover, but if he was back then they had a chance to take back the district. 

"Dunno,"  They shrugged and took a small sip of their drink.  "Too many conflicting stories on the street."  Their voice was still quiet, not wanting to be overheard by the wrong person.  It was hard to know these days who you could trust outside of demonkind. 

"His place up on the hill has been quiet forever,"  They shuddered.  "Place gives me the creeps." 

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 03:24:26 AM »
Work was particularly exhausting today. She had been distracted by her thoughts and plated the salmon with the broccolini instead of the avocado mousse - twice - before Chef came over and swiped her dishes into the trash in a fit of unjustified rage. After the entire kitchen had heard their argument - Monet had to choke back where exactly he could have shoved his avocado mousse, responding only in the appropriate "Yes, Chef," with her eyes low as he berated her - Chef refused to speak to her for the rest of the night, but hung over her shoulder like a hawk watching prey. Tension built in her chest and she tried her hardest not to pull in the clouds overhead in her anger.

She found her way to Zero late. She had changed out of her uniform in the car, slipping quickly into a comfortable pair of tattered jeans that fit her long, slim legs and a navy tee with the collar cut out so it hung off one shoulder. The non-slips stayed right where they are, the effort of getting another pair of shoes not worth her time.

As she pulled out a stool at the bar, Monet had Min-Ji on her mind again. The bartender found her after only a few seconds of sitting. Before he could even ask, Monet had her debit card in her hand and said "Shot of Jager, please. And a Sam Adams - on the side." She debated ordering a double, but remembered she still had to drive back to the Detour Motel to spend another night homeless. She ran a hand through her hair and exhaled before she put her head on the bar briefly. It was sticky with varnish that wasn't well cared for but it was the last thing on her mind. Fighting off tears for her dead family, she lifted her head and shoved her pain down in time for her drinks to arrive. "Thank you," she sighed before tossing the shot back and swallowing hard, her face scrunching with the effort. The Jagermeister burned and threatened to make her cough as it travelled down her esophagus, taking its sweet time before settling warmly in her empty stomach. 

There was a demon couple talking quietly next to her and at first Monet thought nothing of them. She could hear their conversation in snippets and disconnected words and knew it was rude to eavesdrop - or at least appear to be eavesdropping. The first thing that stirred her from her thoughts about her dead cousin was the word "Oligarch" that the redhead had whispered. From there, she listened closer, keeping her eyes on the shelves of liquor as as focused on the conversation. "Whereabouts", "conflicting stories", "hill"... it was enough for Monet to begin to put together the subject of their conversation at the very least.

Zeus.

She had heard rumors as well. They filled her with a rage unlike anything else had in this city. He was the reason that she was in this predicament. Her jaw went rigid and Monet looked over at the other demons quickly, unsure of whether she wanted to engage in that kind of a conversation after the night of work she had just had. Without meaning to, she locked eyes with the person with black hair who was smoking a cigarette.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 10:29:56 AM »
She sat there and thought for a bit, she was certainly hopeful about the whole ordeal. She finished her drink and had a thought.

"Maybe I can go send someone over there, maybe get a clue to where he is. I think the sooner we all get together, the sooner we can take back over this district, and maybe even the city." She said in a hushed tone to keep prying ears from fully hearing what she said the Fler.

"Unless you want to go together?" She also offered, "But I think it might be better if I send off one of my companions."

She wanted to help, she wanted to make her parents proud. She hated the vampires and was more excited that they could now do something more in earnest against them.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 10:52:13 AM »
Fler's eyes widened and they exhaled audibly.  They were silent for a second or two while sipping at their drink.  On the one hand, anything could be at that place.  Who the fuck knows what they would find?  On the other hand, they might find exactly what all of them needed.  Answers.

It was scary, but they needed to know.

"I'd be willing to go if you are," Fler looked around a bit and caught eyes with another demon who had been staring at them.  They quickly looked away and lowered their voice even more.  "Shit I think someone was listening."

Well, it was another demon.  So was there anything really they had to worry about?  Chances were that this demon was in a similar enough circumstance.  But the angry look on her face made Fler think otherwise. 

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 11:30:35 AM »
She noticed and didn't make look over at her or anything.

"Then maybe she wants to come along." She spoke kind of loudly as her smile turned less excitable child, and more a calm almost devious smile. Her fearless nature seemed to know no bounds. She then turned to face the eavesdropper, their eyes very easily locking. Noelle stood up, pulled her case out of her pocket and picked out a color of cigarette that matched whatever outfit Monet was wearing tonight, and walked the short distance over.

"You look stressed, friend." She commented while pointing the butt of the cigarette towards Monet, as to hand it to her. "Do you want to talk about it, or do you want to just listen to a girl gossip with her friend about sweet nothings?" She was referring to herself as the girl and Fler as her friend, as she made evident by how her hands talked as her mouth did. She didn't seem angry, but by all means, if someone was going to eavesdrop, they may as well join the conversation. It was a thing she did when she noticed those who listened in, she would invite them to the conversation. Most of them slink away embarrassed and would leave her alone after. Others would join and sometimes she would make a new friend or at least get some form of an entertainment value.

"What will it be?" She asked, still holding out the cigarette for Monet to grab as invention to join them.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 03:26:34 AM »
Monet stumbled at being called out, a blush filling her cheeks. How long had she been staring? "Uh, sorry." She shook her head in embarrassment, a smirk coming over her. She tentatively reached into the cigarette case and pulled out a smoke; she hadn't smoked cigarettes since college so she fingered the thing as she spoke again.

"I didn't mean to listen. It just... caught my attention briefly, you know? I'm Monet." She extended her hand out to each of them, eyeing them cautiously as she greeted them. "I just, uhm, thought you two may have... heard something more reliable than I have." She spoke purposely in code, hoping the other two demons would understand her meaning. "I've been wondering... similar things, so naturally, your conversation distracted me from my own pissiness." She smiled to keep the tension out of her voice, though she remained guarded. Many demons thought of her kind as lesser demons, seeing as she didn't have a different form and was born on the Earthly plane.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 04:02:03 AM »
"Flereous," they smiled broadly as they took Monet's hand, leaning over the seat that Noelle had just vacated.  "But you can call me Fler."  So the angry look must've been unrelated.  They pulled a match from their pocket and struck it against their teeth like they had when lighting their own cigarette earlier.  Holding the lit match out to Monet, they lit the tip of the cigarette for her and shook the match to extinguish it.

"Rough night?"  Fler leaned back to their space and picked up their drink.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 06:19:28 AM »
She listened and a smile took over her face. Another demon was always welcomed to the mix, particularly for the possible investigation of a dangerous area. She sat back down in her spot, making sure she wasn't closing off either Fler or Monet from the other.

"I'm Noelle" She introduced, and would wait for Monet to respond to Fler about her night as she pretty much had the same question in mind. The angry look that Monet had sported seemed to be intense for whatever had happened, but she was there to at least lend an ear and maybe some support if needed for the newcomer.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 07:47:43 AM »
Monet put the cigarette in her mouth and inhaled as it was lit by the curious-looking demon. This one must have been a fire demon - she had never known a flashier sect of demons. Lighting a cigarette with a match between the teeth was too showy to be anything else. Had the other been even a step farther from her face, Monet would have rolled her eyes.

Instead she eyed the redhead hard. She knew enough not to presume a gender, but her mind still raced with the identifying possibilities. She scolded herself and tried to force herself to not care. It was interesting to see how conditioning always tried to break through. As smoke filled her lungs and her trachea constricted with the sudden invasion of unclean air, Monet tried her best not to cough.

"I just got off work," the weather demon strained as she exhaled a fragrant cloud of smoke. The smell of cigarettes first being lit always reminded her of her father and uncle sneaking into the garage to smoke away from the children. "That's all. My boss was being a dickhead. I, uh, lost someone recently and he seemed to not give a shit." She was reluctant to say more, leery of these two, despite their openly friendly nature.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 08:12:17 AM »
"Shit, I'm sorry."  Fler shook their head, face contorted with sympathetic sorrow.  "That makes three of us, then."  They knocked back their drink and placed it down on the bar a bit loudly.

"We were kind of talking about that whole situation, actually."  Fler lowered their voice as they spoke and played with the rim of the empty glass.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 08:38:19 AM »
"Indeed. And if he is back, then it means maybe we can do something to take back whats ours by working together." She started, thinking about what had happened, the look on her face soured a little. "Sure we can't bring them back, but we can continue their legacy through our own actions, and I think thats fairly important, as they will only live on in the memories of those who knew them."

"Sorry your boss is a dick by the way," she took a drag of her cigarette, "you are getting some kind of Bereavement benefits I hope?" She seemed to care, she could tell Monet was a demon of sorts, and they both had experienced loss, she could connect with her on those points. She knew how much losing someone one cared about sucked, and the bloodbath that was the Vampire takeover caused a lot of pain, and as a result, she would forever hate those bloodsuckers. they weren't better than any other race, they shouldn't be allowed to act as such in her mind.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 09:48:15 AM »
"Thanks," she said to both the comment about her loss and her dick of a boss, a bit coldly. She had been hearing that a lot lately. 'Sorry'. As if that fixed anything, brought anyone back from the dead. Monet hated hearing the words 'I'm sorry'; it was all nothing but bullshit, a way for people to get what they wanted and leave chaos in their wake. It wasn't that Fler or Noelle had done anything wrong - to the contrary. It was more that 'sorry' didn't do shit to right anyone's wrongs.

She gave a dry chuckle at the mention of bereavement. "Nah," the weather demon said taking a drag off the cigarette, her throat accepting the smoke more easily now with some time to adjust. "That would be too convenient." She lifted her beer and took a deep sip, feeling the fermentation tingle in her throat as it found her stomach.

"What the fuck would he do anyway? Had he stayed around, none of this would have happened and we would have all been fine." Monet didn't bother lowering her voice. She hated Zeus, Kerr Galvin, Jake McCloud and all the rest of them that could have done literally anything to prevent this kind of nonsense. Were they not all citizens of the city that they were all supposed to protect? Wasn't this city supposed to be safe for all of them, not only the vampires?

Yeah fucking right. She took another swig.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 09:59:47 AM »
Fler sighed.  Monet was right.  Zeus could've prevented what happened.  He could've gotten the most reckless demons under control, fought back against the vampire's invasion.  Literally anything.  But where was he?

Even now, after all the shit happened and people--innocent people--were killed, he could've set things right.  But it's been radio silence for how long now?

"We could at least get some damn answers," they grumbled. 

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 06:48:03 AM »
"He could have stayed, he should have stayed, but he didn't," she started, "but the same could have been said about the Vampires. They could have come talk to us instead of killing us, in fact they should have done that, but they didn't." She took a drag of her cigarette with a serious look on her face, almost turning to anger.

"What would he even be willing to do? Who knows. I agree getting answers is something that is important for closure given what happened, but we really can't dwell too much on such a miserable past." She was speaking her beliefs anyway, and what her plans would be. She would like the two to join her of course, but could understand if they don't. She kept her voice low so really only the 3 of them could be able to pick up what she was putting down. "That doesn't mean we can't grieve or honor those close to us whom have fallen, but really we should continue forward. If he is back now, we can at least attempt to find out why he left. Not much we can do against him if we don't like his answer however, it would be better to make an alliance and clear the filthy bats from power at the very least. They very much clearly don't deserve it after what they had all done to us." Whether it be through peaceful means or not, she really didn't care at this point. She despised the vampires as much as she despised that event, but she wouldn't go and straight up seek out vampires to murder. She was better than that at the very least.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 10:51:18 AM »
Monet turned her chair so she could more easily enclose their conversation, casting quick eyes around to memorize the faces of the people at the bar. The bartender was at the other end of the bar keying something into the P.O.S. system with long fingernails, completely absorbed in the task. Down the line of the bar, people were coupling and grouping off, turning backs to them to have their own private conversations complete with laughs and drunken gestures. No one seemed to be paying attention to them.

"You're fooling yourself if you think he's gonna give us any answers." Monet hadn't met Zeus before  but had seen him at the Oligarchy Chambers back before everything broke down. She was constantly put off by his officers - told he wasn't available, or she needed to make an appointment when her activism for demon rights brought her to the government's doorstep. But that was years ago, back when there was an Oligarchy and there were rights to be had, and her people didn't get murdered in their homes. No, the city may have changed, but she doubted Zeus the Great had. "What's your big plan, then, huh?" She directed her tone at both of them, a defensive, pessimistic thing. Monet lowered her voice but kept the bite in it. "Just go over to the Block and see what's left of it? Just stop in and say 'hey, we're casually looking for Zeus. Seen him?' to whoever - or whatever - is living there now? Because you know that building isn't empty."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 11:00:36 AM »
"Yeah, actually," Fler felt a bit prickled at the defensive tone being directed at them.  "Why shouldn't we try?"  The place still gave Fler the creeps but if the three of them went together...

"Honestly, what do we have to lose at this point?"  Their tone softened significantly, a look of bitter sadness crossing their features. 

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 12:03:40 PM »
"I never said I was expecting answers. I would like to attempt to get answers but am aware that the likelihood isn't high," she took a drag of her cigarette, "I'd rather try and be told no, than not do anything at all." She played with her cigarette in her hand a little, looking at it, thinking.

"You don't have to join us you know." She then mentioned to Monet "More numbers wouldn't hurt, but honestly I'm not going to sit here and try to convince someone set in their ways either. I don't really have much of a plan besides going to check the place out, I don't need much more then that right now. I know it's not empty, but it isn't like I'm unarmed either." She made mention, after what had happened to them all, she made damned sure she was armed to the teeth, but discreetly. She wasn't going to have any vampire come and kill her anytime soon.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2019, 10:15:57 AM »
They both made fair points. She looked down at the beer in her hands for few moments, thinking about what the other two demons had just said. There was still so much bitterness that clouded her and she missed her cousins.

She was very familiar with fighting, rebelling, protesting for the rights of others. She was used to the hurt inside when other people suffered atrocities. This, however, was something new. She had a fighting spirit left, of course. But much of her energies nowadays were spent surviving at work, fighting with shitty living conditions in the West's only notable motel, finding answers for Min-Ji's family, dodging advice to come home from her parents. It was all so draining. All she ever wanted to do now was curl up and go to sleep, or drink until she found some kind of distraction from it all. And now she sat at a bar with a few others who she suspected knew what this whole angry-grief thing felt like.

Monet sighed through her nose, settling herself. She had started wrong. "So, what? Are you thinking about going tonight?" She wasn't prepared for such a thing - she had no abilities as caustic as a fire demon or a smoke demon. Her abilities were powerful over time - not something that would have helped if she were affronted while they were there. She had none of her usual guerilla protesting material and all of the exhaustion that came from being run into the ground in the kitchens of a Michelin star restaurant. If it came down to it, she would have no other skill than being quick on her (tired) feet. Would that even be enough?

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2019, 12:58:01 PM »
She took a nice long drag of her cigarette while watching Monet. Taking in her reactions, waiting and listening as to what her next response would be. A small yet warm smile spread upon her face when Monet had asked when they would be going.

"I'm down for tonight but understand it's quite a spontaneous move," she started as she finished her cigarette, "if either of you need more time to prepare, I can wait." Her tone was nonplussed about the situation. "But I do feel it best to go there not alone. If either of you need more time, it could also give me more time to be less spontaneous about it myself, and actually plan a bit ahead of time." She sat there, not just waiting for their responses at this point, but also a bit in thought.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2019, 01:10:55 AM »
On the one hand, waiting and regrouping another day would be smarter.  Fler was fresh from a fight and tired, but still coasting on adrenaline.  But would they actually follow through with it if they waited?  Or would it be better to take advantage of the energy and motivation now?

"I'm personally wiped myself, but I could go either way."  They paused, "What about tomorrow sometime during the day?"  If the agreed time was close enough to now, maybe they actually would show up.  And daytime made things less creepy.  At least that was what they were telling themself.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2019, 07:59:43 AM »
She glanced between the two of them, unsure, but keeping it to herself. Exploring the Block was not an issue to her, but she knew very little - extremely little - about these two companions she rubbed elbows with. What would they be like in a volatile situation? Would they run? Would they stand their ground? Were they even who they said they were, interested in justice like they said they were?

"Then let's do this tomorrow, late afternoon," she decided evenly, thinking of her work schedule. "We're all too wiped to be at our best here. I know that I'd be able to rest and get what I needed ready. We'll meet at the dirt road off 102 West. Any objections?"