Author Topic: The Scattered  (Read 16776 times)

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
Re: The Scattered
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 03:24:26 AM »
Work was particularly exhausting today. She had been distracted by her thoughts and plated the salmon with the broccolini instead of the avocado mousse - twice - before Chef came over and swiped her dishes into the trash in a fit of unjustified rage. After the entire kitchen had heard their argument - Monet had to choke back where exactly he could have shoved his avocado mousse, responding only in the appropriate "Yes, Chef," with her eyes low as he berated her - Chef refused to speak to her for the rest of the night, but hung over her shoulder like a hawk watching prey. Tension built in her chest and she tried her hardest not to pull in the clouds overhead in her anger.

She found her way to Zero late. She had changed out of her uniform in the car, slipping quickly into a comfortable pair of tattered jeans that fit her long, slim legs and a navy tee with the collar cut out so it hung off one shoulder. The non-slips stayed right where they are, the effort of getting another pair of shoes not worth her time.

As she pulled out a stool at the bar, Monet had Min-Ji on her mind again. The bartender found her after only a few seconds of sitting. Before he could even ask, Monet had her debit card in her hand and said "Shot of Jager, please. And a Sam Adams - on the side." She debated ordering a double, but remembered she still had to drive back to the Detour Motel to spend another night homeless. She ran a hand through her hair and exhaled before she put her head on the bar briefly. It was sticky with varnish that wasn't well cared for but it was the last thing on her mind. Fighting off tears for her dead family, she lifted her head and shoved her pain down in time for her drinks to arrive. "Thank you," she sighed before tossing the shot back and swallowing hard, her face scrunching with the effort. The Jagermeister burned and threatened to make her cough as it travelled down her esophagus, taking its sweet time before settling warmly in her empty stomach. 

There was a demon couple talking quietly next to her and at first Monet thought nothing of them. She could hear their conversation in snippets and disconnected words and knew it was rude to eavesdrop - or at least appear to be eavesdropping. The first thing that stirred her from her thoughts about her dead cousin was the word "Oligarch" that the redhead had whispered. From there, she listened closer, keeping her eyes on the shelves of liquor as as focused on the conversation. "Whereabouts", "conflicting stories", "hill"... it was enough for Monet to begin to put together the subject of their conversation at the very least.

Zeus.

She had heard rumors as well. They filled her with a rage unlike anything else had in this city. He was the reason that she was in this predicament. Her jaw went rigid and Monet looked over at the other demons quickly, unsure of whether she wanted to engage in that kind of a conversation after the night of work she had just had. Without meaning to, she locked eyes with the person with black hair who was smoking a cigarette.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 10:29:56 AM »
She sat there and thought for a bit, she was certainly hopeful about the whole ordeal. She finished her drink and had a thought.

"Maybe I can go send someone over there, maybe get a clue to where he is. I think the sooner we all get together, the sooner we can take back over this district, and maybe even the city." She said in a hushed tone to keep prying ears from fully hearing what she said the Fler.

"Unless you want to go together?" She also offered, "But I think it might be better if I send off one of my companions."

She wanted to help, she wanted to make her parents proud. She hated the vampires and was more excited that they could now do something more in earnest against them.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 10:52:13 AM »
Fler's eyes widened and they exhaled audibly.  They were silent for a second or two while sipping at their drink.  On the one hand, anything could be at that place.  Who the fuck knows what they would find?  On the other hand, they might find exactly what all of them needed.  Answers.

It was scary, but they needed to know.

"I'd be willing to go if you are," Fler looked around a bit and caught eyes with another demon who had been staring at them.  They quickly looked away and lowered their voice even more.  "Shit I think someone was listening."

Well, it was another demon.  So was there anything really they had to worry about?  Chances were that this demon was in a similar enough circumstance.  But the angry look on her face made Fler think otherwise. 
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 11:30:35 AM »
She noticed and didn't make look over at her or anything.

"Then maybe she wants to come along." She spoke kind of loudly as her smile turned less excitable child, and more a calm almost devious smile. Her fearless nature seemed to know no bounds. She then turned to face the eavesdropper, their eyes very easily locking. Noelle stood up, pulled her case out of her pocket and picked out a color of cigarette that matched whatever outfit Monet was wearing tonight, and walked the short distance over.

"You look stressed, friend." She commented while pointing the butt of the cigarette towards Monet, as to hand it to her. "Do you want to talk about it, or do you want to just listen to a girl gossip with her friend about sweet nothings?" She was referring to herself as the girl and Fler as her friend, as she made evident by how her hands talked as her mouth did. She didn't seem angry, but by all means, if someone was going to eavesdrop, they may as well join the conversation. It was a thing she did when she noticed those who listened in, she would invite them to the conversation. Most of them slink away embarrassed and would leave her alone after. Others would join and sometimes she would make a new friend or at least get some form of an entertainment value.

"What will it be?" She asked, still holding out the cigarette for Monet to grab as invention to join them.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 03:26:34 AM »
Monet stumbled at being called out, a blush filling her cheeks. How long had she been staring? "Uh, sorry." She shook her head in embarrassment, a smirk coming over her. She tentatively reached into the cigarette case and pulled out a smoke; she hadn't smoked cigarettes since college so she fingered the thing as she spoke again.

"I didn't mean to listen. It just... caught my attention briefly, you know? I'm Monet." She extended her hand out to each of them, eyeing them cautiously as she greeted them. "I just, uhm, thought you two may have... heard something more reliable than I have." She spoke purposely in code, hoping the other two demons would understand her meaning. "I've been wondering... similar things, so naturally, your conversation distracted me from my own pissiness." She smiled to keep the tension out of her voice, though she remained guarded. Many demons thought of her kind as lesser demons, seeing as she didn't have a different form and was born on the Earthly plane.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 04:02:03 AM »
"Flereous," they smiled broadly as they took Monet's hand, leaning over the seat that Noelle had just vacated.  "But you can call me Fler."  So the angry look must've been unrelated.  They pulled a match from their pocket and struck it against their teeth like they had when lighting their own cigarette earlier.  Holding the lit match out to Monet, they lit the tip of the cigarette for her and shook the match to extinguish it.

"Rough night?"  Fler leaned back to their space and picked up their drink.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 06:19:28 AM »
She listened and a smile took over her face. Another demon was always welcomed to the mix, particularly for the possible investigation of a dangerous area. She sat back down in her spot, making sure she wasn't closing off either Fler or Monet from the other.

"I'm Noelle" She introduced, and would wait for Monet to respond to Fler about her night as she pretty much had the same question in mind. The angry look that Monet had sported seemed to be intense for whatever had happened, but she was there to at least lend an ear and maybe some support if needed for the newcomer.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 07:47:43 AM »
Monet put the cigarette in her mouth and inhaled as it was lit by the curious-looking demon. This one must have been a fire demon - she had never known a flashier sect of demons. Lighting a cigarette with a match between the teeth was too showy to be anything else. Had the other been even a step farther from her face, Monet would have rolled her eyes.

Instead she eyed the redhead hard. She knew enough not to presume a gender, but her mind still raced with the identifying possibilities. She scolded herself and tried to force herself to not care. It was interesting to see how conditioning always tried to break through. As smoke filled her lungs and her trachea constricted with the sudden invasion of unclean air, Monet tried her best not to cough.

"I just got off work," the weather demon strained as she exhaled a fragrant cloud of smoke. The smell of cigarettes first being lit always reminded her of her father and uncle sneaking into the garage to smoke away from the children. "That's all. My boss was being a dickhead. I, uh, lost someone recently and he seemed to not give a shit." She was reluctant to say more, leery of these two, despite their openly friendly nature.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 08:12:17 AM »
"Shit, I'm sorry."  Fler shook their head, face contorted with sympathetic sorrow.  "That makes three of us, then."  They knocked back their drink and placed it down on the bar a bit loudly.

"We were kind of talking about that whole situation, actually."  Fler lowered their voice as they spoke and played with the rim of the empty glass.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 08:38:19 AM »
"Indeed. And if he is back, then it means maybe we can do something to take back whats ours by working together." She started, thinking about what had happened, the look on her face soured a little. "Sure we can't bring them back, but we can continue their legacy through our own actions, and I think thats fairly important, as they will only live on in the memories of those who knew them."

"Sorry your boss is a dick by the way," she took a drag of her cigarette, "you are getting some kind of Bereavement benefits I hope?" She seemed to care, she could tell Monet was a demon of sorts, and they both had experienced loss, she could connect with her on those points. She knew how much losing someone one cared about sucked, and the bloodbath that was the Vampire takeover caused a lot of pain, and as a result, she would forever hate those bloodsuckers. they weren't better than any other race, they shouldn't be allowed to act as such in her mind.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 09:48:15 AM »
"Thanks," she said to both the comment about her loss and her dick of a boss, a bit coldly. She had been hearing that a lot lately. 'Sorry'. As if that fixed anything, brought anyone back from the dead. Monet hated hearing the words 'I'm sorry'; it was all nothing but bullshit, a way for people to get what they wanted and leave chaos in their wake. It wasn't that Fler or Noelle had done anything wrong - to the contrary. It was more that 'sorry' didn't do shit to right anyone's wrongs.

She gave a dry chuckle at the mention of bereavement. "Nah," the weather demon said taking a drag off the cigarette, her throat accepting the smoke more easily now with some time to adjust. "That would be too convenient." She lifted her beer and took a deep sip, feeling the fermentation tingle in her throat as it found her stomach.

"What the fuck would he do anyway? Had he stayed around, none of this would have happened and we would have all been fine." Monet didn't bother lowering her voice. She hated Zeus, Kerr Galvin, Jake McCloud and all the rest of them that could have done literally anything to prevent this kind of nonsense. Were they not all citizens of the city that they were all supposed to protect? Wasn't this city supposed to be safe for all of them, not only the vampires?

Yeah fucking right. She took another swig.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 09:59:47 AM »
Fler sighed.  Monet was right.  Zeus could've prevented what happened.  He could've gotten the most reckless demons under control, fought back against the vampire's invasion.  Literally anything.  But where was he?

Even now, after all the shit happened and people--innocent people--were killed, he could've set things right.  But it's been radio silence for how long now?

"We could at least get some damn answers," they grumbled. 

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 06:48:03 AM »
"He could have stayed, he should have stayed, but he didn't," she started, "but the same could have been said about the Vampires. They could have come talk to us instead of killing us, in fact they should have done that, but they didn't." She took a drag of her cigarette with a serious look on her face, almost turning to anger.

"What would he even be willing to do? Who knows. I agree getting answers is something that is important for closure given what happened, but we really can't dwell too much on such a miserable past." She was speaking her beliefs anyway, and what her plans would be. She would like the two to join her of course, but could understand if they don't. She kept her voice low so really only the 3 of them could be able to pick up what she was putting down. "That doesn't mean we can't grieve or honor those close to us whom have fallen, but really we should continue forward. If he is back now, we can at least attempt to find out why he left. Not much we can do against him if we don't like his answer however, it would be better to make an alliance and clear the filthy bats from power at the very least. They very much clearly don't deserve it after what they had all done to us." Whether it be through peaceful means or not, she really didn't care at this point. She despised the vampires as much as she despised that event, but she wouldn't go and straight up seek out vampires to murder. She was better than that at the very least.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 10:51:18 AM »
Monet turned her chair so she could more easily enclose their conversation, casting quick eyes around to memorize the faces of the people at the bar. The bartender was at the other end of the bar keying something into the P.O.S. system with long fingernails, completely absorbed in the task. Down the line of the bar, people were coupling and grouping off, turning backs to them to have their own private conversations complete with laughs and drunken gestures. No one seemed to be paying attention to them.

"You're fooling yourself if you think he's gonna give us any answers." Monet hadn't met Zeus before  but had seen him at the Oligarchy Chambers back before everything broke down. She was constantly put off by his officers - told he wasn't available, or she needed to make an appointment when her activism for demon rights brought her to the government's doorstep. But that was years ago, back when there was an Oligarchy and there were rights to be had, and her people didn't get murdered in their homes. No, the city may have changed, but she doubted Zeus the Great had. "What's your big plan, then, huh?" She directed her tone at both of them, a defensive, pessimistic thing. Monet lowered her voice but kept the bite in it. "Just go over to the Block and see what's left of it? Just stop in and say 'hey, we're casually looking for Zeus. Seen him?' to whoever - or whatever - is living there now? Because you know that building isn't empty."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 11:00:36 AM »
"Yeah, actually," Fler felt a bit prickled at the defensive tone being directed at them.  "Why shouldn't we try?"  The place still gave Fler the creeps but if the three of them went together...

"Honestly, what do we have to lose at this point?"  Their tone softened significantly, a look of bitter sadness crossing their features.