Author Topic: Mud and Straw  (Read 10546 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Mud and Straw
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 08:57:28 AM »
Ari was amused at the question, that was really a request for gossip. Felicia knew Ari was the family spymaster, and that it was his job to keep up with all the players both in and out of their territory. It was a job he was well suited for, as his unassuming nature made other vampires treat him like a servant. People often forgot servants were in the room. Then there his network of little birds, with some of them quite literally being little birds. Animal familiars were useful spies, as were human journalists and the occasional homeless person. Murphy Hilton was one such spy, whether or not he actually knew it. Ari passed on all the juicy bits to Charon, but there was so much more that he knew that stayed inside his blonde head.

"The west and central districts are in conflict," he answered. That much was common knowledge, but Felicia was especially in her own world lately so it was better to start with the west. "Jake McCloud has made an enemy of many, but not us according to Charon. Ben Sampson is challenging him for leadership which is an interesting development to say the least. A necromancer is causing problems in the north who has a new leader by claim and claim alone. That territory is also in conflict. Sabrina is fully running the south now, so I have a lot more free time. Want to know about anything specific?"
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 02:14:28 AM »
"Jake McCloud!" Felicia's laughter rang like an old iron bell through the still night air, "I knew that little bastard could be counted on to overreach, how nice of him to be a good sport. I wish I'd put money on it. Too bad he's not in our bad books, I'd like to see what he's made of. Him and that...what's her name? Lisa-Joe?"

"Sabrina, the witch. Is she in our pocket, still? And I've heard rumblings about another demon...Thor? Zeus?" The last was spoken with an obvious distaste. The new world's lack of respect for the old Gods was a sticking point. 

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 11:21:31 AM »
Ari didn't share his sister's humor on the subject of McCloud's overreach. He'd taken life, and while Ari understood the necessity on occasion, his own informants didn't think it was needed in this case. Now, the people who worshiped and loved him were at risk. Part of Ari suspected Charon was on good terms with Jake because he wanted to mold him somehow. It would be useful for the family to have a powerful, and loyal, vampire in a different part of town, and perhaps some good will now meant obedience later. He shared much of this with Felicia.

"That being said," he continued. "He's good looking, sees himself as an honorable warrior and props up the young ones and tells them they're our equals." He sounded amused. It's not that he didn't think the young had nothing to offer. He thought about how much change Royce had made him embrace as the centuries went on. However, age bred wisdom most of the time, and Ari felt it was the place of ancients to rule and guide their youngers.

"You would like Lisa-Joe Hampton," he observed, and teased giving his sister a suggestive smile. "She's beautiful and tough, and strong willed. She loves the boy prince though. It's the one out of character trait I've made note off.

"Yes, the demon Oligrach goes by Zues as a nickname. He's returned and is gathering the demons together into one faction. It's something for us to be watching. Charon has met with him with Jeanne. I don't know what to make of him yet. If he stays out of the east I think the family should be fine with him."   
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras