Author Topic: Pulling an All-Nighter  (Read 14562 times)

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
Pulling an All-Nighter
« on: April 08, 2019, 09:33:07 AM »
Astrid sat alone and mildly stressed amongst her spread of various notebooks and tomes strewn about the table around the little potted rosemary.  Tonight she was clothed in some fashionably ripped dark-washed boot-cut jeans and a loose-fitted black halter-top tank with a silvery crescent moon print.  She had come to the Sanctuary café to assemble some sort of syllabi for the two classes that she had been freshly hired to teach at the Kerr Galvin Academy.  The witch desperately needed some kind of cash flow.  Even though living at the Parlor meant she didn’t have any living expenses to speak of, she really wanted to find a little place of her own.  Not that she terribly minded the company of Sabrina and everyone else living there.  There were just things that she wanted to do that couldn’t be done with her own place.  Building a forge was one of them, but that was a bigger project.  Need some land first.  And a house.

She jotted down a few notes while flipping through a tome written entirely in some sort of runic alphabet.  Placing the pen down she attempted to take a sip of coffee from one of the several cups she had placed around the table.  Finding it empty, she peered into the cup with a grimace and went to check all of the other cups for a last sip of coffee.  They were all empty.  She took the lids off of them all and stacked them together, bringing them over to the trash and walking back over to the counter to order some tea instead.  And one of the lemon squares.

“Thanks,” she said a bit apologetically with an appreciative smile as the tea and snack were handed off.  Astrid made her way back over to her table and placed the cup and lemon pastry down.  Pen in hand she quickly jotted another note down;

Maybe explore different magical paradigms? too high-level for an intro course?  Theory concept but maybe off-topic for Ethics.

She sighed through her nose and stretched her body backwards to try to crack her back.  Reaching into the leather jacket that hung off the back of the chair, she pulled out her cellphone to check the time.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling an All-Nighter
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 10:40:33 PM »
Siobhán finished cleaning the espresso machine then wiped down the counter, her long curls were tied securely back in a tight pony tail and she was dressed in comfortable flat shoes, slacks and a light tan colored shirt. The café was doing great and the flow of customers throughout the day had kept her constantly busy. As she washed and dried her hands at the sink, she scanned her café with a look of contented pride in her eyes. She felt tired but in a good way, but she could do with a break. The café had been quieting down for a while now and was fairly empty at the moment; Psych was more than capable of taking care of things on his own for a little bit.

“Hey” she said as he passed her on the way to putting the milk back in the fridge. “I’m going to quickly wipe down the tables then take a break. Can you hold down the fort for a bit?”

He told her he would be fine so she grabbed some disinfectant and a cloth and went into the dining area and started cleaning the tables. As she got closer to Astrid’s table she smiled at her. Astrid had been here for some hours now and Siobhán was pleased that she felt comfortable enough was happy enough to continue to stay and continue with whatever she was working on.

As she stretched and rolled her shoulders back Siobhán decided to go talk with her.

“Hi, how are you doing this evening?” She scanned that table and smiled again and noticed the tea and lemon square. “ Are you happy with everything? Can I get you anything else?”

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 04:43:29 AM »
Ugh, almost midnight already?  How long had she been in here?  Astrid sighed and stretched a bit, shuffling a few papers around as she stood.  She hadn't noticed Siobhán until she spoke--not even at the counter since the other staff had served her.  Tunnel-vision and all that.  Her brain was seriously fried.

"Hey,"  Shit--she was gorgeous.  Astrid flushed slightly and put her cellphone down on top of the mess all over the table. 

"Everything's great, I'm good, thanks."  She glanced briefly into Siobhán's eyes.  You're a witch!  Astrid was absolutely certain but gave little outward indication that she had recognized something within her.  The cafe itself had some magical tendrils, so this shouldn't have been too much of a surprise.  Could she be the owner? She seemed pretty young.  Maybe this place just employed witches.  That would be cool.  She should definitely come here more often.

"Sorry I've been here forever--I feel like I've been trying to finish up for the past hour or two now."  She laughed a bit and spun the spinner ring on her right thumb a few times.  Astrid sat down again, still facing Siobhán, and casually attempted to consolidate some of the papers.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 11:52:16 PM »
She loved Astrids cresent moon top and her tattoos, she found them unusual and intriguing and thought they gave Astrid an air of mystery, she wanted to ask about them but felt that might be a little intrusive,  but as Astrid’s eyes met hers Siobhán felt her magic call to her, like recognizing like, and her breath caught in the back of her throat a little in surprise. Sabrina had said there were other witches in the city besides herself and Tess and had wondered if she would come across them. The fact Astrid could enter her café meant she wasn’t here to cause any harm and so her smile was friendly and welcoming as Astrid retook her seat.

“Oh good, I’m glad to hear it” she replied earnestly. The fact Astrid had been here for a few hours already showed that she felt comfortable here and welcome, which was exactly what Siobhan had wanted when she opened the café. For people to feel they had entered a haven, that sanctuary offered them an escape from all that worried them outside her doors.  “and there is absolutely no need to apologize, we’re open till the early hours anyway, so you’re welcome to stay as long as you like.”

As she looked over the table again, she noticed the open book with the runic alphabet and raised an eyebrow in curiosity. “What is that? Pictish? Norse?” she tilted her head slightly to try and get a better look at it. She loved runes and old scripts, and these looked familiar but she couldn’t quite place them. She looked at Astrid with honest curiosity in her eyes. “Are you studying for an exam or something?”

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 12:11:01 AM »
Astrid was glad to hear that there wasn't an issue with her hanging out for a few hours.  She was consistently making purchases anyway, so it was good for their business. 

"Elder Futhark,"  she confirmed, running her right hand across the open pages.  This tome was a family heirloom, containing mostly incantation and song.  She couldn't remember why she had that particular page open--something about composition maybe?

"I'm actually working on putting together a couple of syllabi."  Astrid smiled shook her head, "I feel like I'm a bit in over my head with this."  She confessed with a light laugh.  There were a few drafted versions already written in one of her notebooks that would have worked fine.  She had a better handle on the situation than she let on due to a mixture of modesty and perfectionism.  It felt like a great deal of pressure to be the only professor (she hated using that word, it didn't feel like it fit her) teaching magical classes.  There were so many things that could have been covered but two classes were absolutely her limit.  She wanted time to herself and her own practice. 

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 01:11:08 PM »
"Syllabi?"  Siobhán asked in surprise. She had assumed Astrid was a student not a teacher. She looked at the book again and surmised it wasn't High School Astrid was teaching at. "Are you teaching at the new Academy?"

Originally she had been told the academy was a a place for vampires who were being taught wizardry by a wizard named Kerr, later she learned that Kerr was actually a vampire and the academy was open to all supernaturals and was run and owned by another vampire named Ben. Astrid would be the first person she had met who actually went there, taught there and knew anything real about it.

Siobhán was instantly intrigued and curious. "What subjects are you teaching?" she asked with interest before she blinked then blushed with embarrassment. "I'm sorry, I'm being nosy." she said with a smile. " I'm Siobhán by the way"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 11:49:32 PM »
"Yeah, I am." Astrid blushed, looking a bit sheepish.  She figured that would be surprising--her appearance didn't exactly scream teacher.

"Siobhán.  My name is Astrid."  When she had offered her name, Astrid became Aware of the fact that her bloodline was not completely human.  Interesting.

"Oh, you're not being nosy, so no worries.  I'm teaching The Ethics of Cursecasting--a theory class.  And a more practical Intro to Crafting Magical Objects."  She spoke with a slightly hushed tone, knowing that she could trust Siobhán since she was magically-inclined (and not fully human) herself, but unsure about anyone else in the vicinity.

"Were you thinking about taking any classes?"  It would be cool to see you around, she thought to herself with a hint of a smirk.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 12:35:33 AM »
" Astrid" she said, sounding her name out, it was a good name, strong, powerful and hinted of a person with many different depths and layers. Her classes would most definitly be interesting and not just because of their subject. "Ethics of Cursecasting?"  the irony of it had her lips twitching with amusement. "Now that sounds like an intriguing and fun class."

She hadn't given any thought about going to the academy but at Astrid's question she suddenly found herself wondering what she could learn. However running the cafe was taking up all her time at present but if she could hire some more staff then maybe she would get some free time. "Running Sanctuary pretty much takes up all my time at the moment, but yeah" she admitted as she looked over all the papers and books strewn across the table with a thoughtful look in her eyes. " If I could see myself signing up to a few classes at least" her eyes once again fell on Astrid's tea and pastry. " Is that all you've eaten tonight?" she asked as she looked at Astrid with a raised eyebrow.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 01:13:49 AM »
"Yeah well I'm doing my best to make it fun," she laughed lightly, "It tends to be a bit of a controversial topic, as I'm sure you know."  She met her eye, acknowledging that she knew, and watching her reaction.  Astrid was excited to get to know more witches in the city.  Back home she had pretty much been exposed to one type--her family--which was nice and familiar.  Sure she had met the occasional practitioner on the road, but there was something about this city.  It radiated magic here. 

So she was the owner.  That made sense.  She hoped that Siobhán would find the time to take some classes.  As it was, she wasn't sure what sort of group she would be having.  Would there be any witches at all--or just a bunch of curious non-magical humans and supernaturals?  A mix would be ideal.  She wanted to learn from the students as much as teach them.

Was that all she had eaten?  "Uh, yeah I guess it is.  That and like seven cups of coffee."  Astrid blushed a bit, laughing, and picked up the tea to take a sip before it got cold.  "I kind of lost track of the time--I was on a roll."

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 12:38:25 AM »
As Astrid caught her gaze once more, she felt that connection again, that knowing. Her whole life had been about hiding what she was, who she was, what she could do and to help keep that secret she buried most of her talent and denied the very world she belonged to, was apart of. As she felt that tingle of recognition shiver down her spine she was tempted to deny it, to pretend she felt nothing, that Astrid was mistaken; it was what she would have done in the not so very distant past but she had decided to leave that lonely, poisonous life behind her.

Siobhán flicked her eyes up and met Astrid's gaze with a brief look of confused uncertainty and offered a hesitant smile. How was she supposed to acknowledge this connection between them? She thought about placing her left hand in front of her so only Astrid could see it and making the mano cornuto or the mano fico hand gestures but that felt so junior high. As she flicked her eyes over the table, hoping for some kind of inspiration her gaze fell upon the pot of rosemary and her lips twitched with a smile. It was just a drop of power she released, well not even that really, it was a small call to the plant, to the element of earth; it was tiny, but it was enough. The small pot of rosemary shivered ever so slightly as its silver and green leaves twisted and weaved together to form a silvery green pentacle for Astrid's eyes only. As she felt her magic tingle along her skin she sighed in pleasure, it felt so good to let go, to be who she was, to feel like she could finally be able to share that side of herself with someone, with someone like her...who wasn't trying to also kill her.

"It's only controversial if you don't know what you're doing or you're practicing Bambi magic" she said with a knowing look in her eye and a playful smile playing along her lips. She didn't tend to use curses herself but if the situation called for it she wouldn't balk at the idea of it either.

As Astrid admitted she hadn't eaten anything but gallons of caffeine and a sugar rich pastry she shook her ruefully and realized she was a little hungry herself. "Coffee will only get you so far." she flicked her eyes over the table with it's decoration strewn notes and discarded books. " You need a break, something real to eat and a little something that will really clear the cobwebs from your brain and keep you going till the morning." She took a step away from the table and tilted her head towards the door behind her. She wasn't sure if Astrid would want to join her or even if her wanted to hang around after her small magical display. Maybe Astrid thought she was a freak or a little too out there and would just get up and leave instead.  Siobhán hoped not but she would understand if she did.

"I'm taking a break myself anyway, If you want to join me that is." Her voice held a hint of uncertainty, fully expecting a refusal but her smile was warm and friendly.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 04:10:25 AM »
She noticed the call to the plant as soon as it was sent--like a shiver of energetic electricity moving through the air.  For a moment her breath was caught, and she felt as though there was more magic to this witch than simply willing a plant to move.  She wanted to know what else Siobhán was capable of--what she was most comfortable practicing.  A witch's magic, for her, was much like an artist's preferred medium.  There was certainly a strong connection to Earth there.  With a smile, Astrid watched the rosemary twist and turn its leaves to form that familiar symbol, and they resumed conversation as though nothing had transpired.

The comment about Bambi magic made her snort a laugh and she hid it behind a sip of tea.

"You're right,"  She did need a break.  Astrid found the concern a little endearing and was trying to come up with something sarcastic as a reply until Siobhán said she was about to go on a break herself.  Beautiful woman inviting me to chill?  Hell yes!  There was a slight red tint as she stretched her arms over her head, and her stomach took the opportunity to gurgle with hunger.

"That sounds amazing, actually."  She returned the smile before turning to neaten up and stow some of her books in her magically-bottomless backpack.  "What did you have in mind?"

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 10:40:51 PM »
Her smile bloomed with pleasure when Astrid agreed to join her and as she watched her pack up her things she suddenly felt her tummy flutter with butterfly's.

"Ummm I was thinking omelette and salad with a witches brew on the side" As Astride's eyes caught hers she suddenly felt herself blushing and so quickly turned towards the kitchen door, hoping Astrid didn't notice. By the time she walked to the door her face had cooled down and so she held it open for Astrid to pass through.

The kitchen itself was slightly larger then a normal kitchen with a six burner stove, commercial sized refrigerator, a double oven and a butcher block island in the middle with a sink and cabinetry. The flooring was the same as the cafe but all the bench tops including the island were white speckled marble and the carpentry was a were wood with a light honey colored stain. To the right side of the kitchen was an archway that led into a smaller room which had a large assortment of herbs and plants hanging from the ceiling  and walls on drying wracks and the bench tops and cabinetry matching the kitchens. At the back of the kitchen near the fridge was another open archway that opened up to a  medium sized lounging area and small dining table. The lounge room consisted of two sofa's, a lounge char, coffee table, a rug and a small fire place which was against the far wall. To the left of the fireplace was the stairs that led up to the apartment  and on the right of the fireplace was a couple of bookcases stuffed full with book. The lounge room and dining area was divided by the back door that opened up to the veranda and the back garden.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 11:38:05 PM »
"Ugh--perfect." Astrid caught her eye--and the flush--and watched Siobhán turn toward the kitchen.  She took the opportunity to grin devilishly to herself--wondering, maybe hoping.  Definitely hoping. 

Well, at least to make a new friend.

With everything packed neatly into the backpack, she hefted it over her shoulder, scooped up the plate with the lemon square and her cup of tea, and followed Siobhán into the kitchen.  Astrid could appreciate a good sized kitchen, and took a minute to look around and take in the room.  Her eye followed the layout, lingering on the plants and drying racks.  Definitely a green witch, she smiled as she thought to herself. 

"Nice place!"  Okay, maybe that was a little awkward.  She shifted the backpack a bit as best she could while balancing the plate and cup in her hands.  Astrid waited to see where Siobhán would lead them.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 01:02:35 AM »
"Thank you" Siobhán  looked around her kitchen and smiled. It wasn't a commercial kitchen by any stretch of the imagination and she had plans to turn her herb room into a proper working witch's den once she had enough money to add another stove, table and more cabinetry.  She turned to ask if Astrid wanted to sit in the dining/lounge room or here in the kitchen and noticed her guest struggling. " Gods, I am the worst hostess ever. here let me help you" she said as she went to take the plate and cup of tea from Astrid, her fingers inadvertently brushed against Astrid's hand. She felt a tingling in her fingers where they touched, a small shock of power that set her stomach to fluttering once more and her cheeks to be stained with a kiss of pink.

"Umm, We can put your stuff in the lounge room and you can sit out there or in here. Your choice" she said with a slight stammer as she took the items out of Astrid's hands and carried them for her.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 03:47:31 AM »
"Oh--it's alright really!"  Siobhán was definitely not being a bad hostess, Astrid probably could have made it a bit easier to transport her stuff but she was being stubborn.  Or maybe she was just distracted.  But she accepted the help with carrying them nonetheless.  When their skin made brief contact, her breath stopped and attempted to hide her reaction (and blush) with shrugging the backpack off of her shoulder and into her hand.  The Sight buzzed energetically with messages.  Healer.  Daughter of Lilith.  Locked potential.  She wanted to ask Siobhán about them but the messages weren't usually things to bring up to the person they were about.  Astrid cleared her throat and made an effort to regain her composure.

"Thanks,"  a bit delayed.  Stop being so awkward! 

"Lounge looks comfy, but I don't care where--it's your place!"  She laughed (awkwardly again, ugh!).