Author Topic: The Thirteenth Floor  (Read 3308 times)

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
The Thirteenth Floor
« on: April 24, 2019, 08:51:04 AM »
(Filler--don't reply.)

“Again,”  Chtahzus’aak’s sharp command echoed in the vast darkness of the empty chamber. 

The trio of cloaked figures spread their arms out as a legion of whispers picked up in a quick and insistent chant.  The floor beneath their feet began to glow dark red, revealing a spread of complicated demonic symbols surrounded by one large circle.  The glow pulsed in time with the chanting, growing brighter and dulling with the rhythmic rise and fall of whispered voices.  With increasing speed and volume, the glow responded by wavering before it steadied, brilliantly illuminating the perfectly circular room with the large shadow demon looming by the door. 

There was a frown on his face.  The glow had begun to emit a shrieking tone and the floor trembled beneath their feet.  The shriek grew into a roar--sound so great it would have brought any human to their knees.  An air picked up in the room, shifting the demon’s wings just slightly before dying down and taking the light and sound with it. 

A piercing cry cut through the pitch blackness.  With the wave of a hand, a candlelight appeared by the door, casting a warm glow around the room.  One of the cloaked figures had dropped to the floor, a gaping hole in their chest.

Chtahzus’aak sighed with irritation. 

“Find a replacement before the next new moon.”  There was a murmur of acceptance as he turned toward the door.  “One of you, upstairs with me.” The first figure quickly fell behind at his command.  The second remained behind, kneeling by the one who had dropped to the floor to examine if any parts could be salvaged.

Zeus opened the door and entered the short hallway that led to the elevator, followed closely behind by the hooded human-looking figure.

“Have you finished augmenting the gate?”

“Yes.”

“Cameras?”

There was hesitation.  That was a no.  Zeus stopped before reaching the elevator and turned to face the hooded figure.  “What is the delay?”

“I need more time.”

The demon flexed his wings in agitation and continued to the elevator.  The hooded figure followed and they ascended to the first floor together in silence. 

“I want the routers, computers, and cameras all agumented before the next new moon.”  He stated cooly as they exited the elevator.  “Will this be enough time?”

The figure shifted uncomfortably.  “I am missing ingredients.”

“So find them,”  Zeus began to walk away.

“I will need to travel.”  the figure quickened step to return to his side.

“Do I need to find someone more capable?”  Impatience edged into the demon’s voice as he turned to face the hooded figure.  Zeus glared until he saw a shaking head.  “Good.  I will want the generators done as well.”  He continued on to the exit.  “Now, show me the gates.”
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente