Author Topic: The Academy's Opening Fete  (Read 30455 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: The Academy's Opening Fete
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2019, 04:49:09 PM »
Charon nodded to Jeanne's words.

I didn't believe he would use the opening of his beloved Academy to launch himself into the campaign, he said. I know why he did it; he didn't have to put anybody out or try to draw them in some other way. Almost every District Leader has come along. There are constituents here from multiple districts, with many witnesses to temper McCloud's reaction. Jake is in a position where he is forced to accept or he'll look like a dictator.

Charon's eyes narrowed on Ben before the young vampire disappeared inside the building and Charon looked at Jeanne, who had a thoughtful expression on her face. He wasn't telling her anything she didn't already know, but she was willing to indulge him. He liked that.

He poured his heart into this Academy, and he used it as a stepping stone. I wonder if it would be the same if Kerr hadn't risen from the dead.

The Academy and Charon playing the Kerr role were the only things Ben had cared about for months on end. He missed having a regular thing. He'd grown used to having Ben prominent in his existence and now he barely saw the young vampire. He'd done his best to distance himself and latch onto others... but they weren't the same. He knew he was fixating on a facet of Ben - that he didn't even really want Ben, he just wanted things to go back to how they were before. An impossible task.

Unless he killed Kerr and wiped Ben's mind of the memory of his sire returning, and just keep him squirrelled away at Penbrook. He could always do that.

A smile flitted about the corner of his mouth at his fantasy.

Ben proved that he remembered Samuel Taylor when his eyes cooled into piercing chips of silvery-blue and his voice matched the sentiment of his expression. "Of course I remember you, Sam. Have you come to return the money?"

It was obvious by the look of Sam Taylor, ex-librarian at the Oligarchy Chambers, the vampire who'd given Ben a hard time whenever he tried to read a fucking book, that he'd eventually been betrayed by his lover and partner. Otherwise, why would he have come back to this city? He'd paid the price for shacking up with a con-man for a boyfriend. It had done wonders to cure his air of pretentiousness.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2019, 06:20:10 PM »
Jeanne tilted her head thoughtfully and hugged Charon's arm in both of hers, cosying up to her beloved grandsire.

It would have happened, just later. Without his sire for inspiration, it would've been you, she said cautiously, a sensation of consolation sent with the words. She looked at Charon sympathetically, leaning over to press a kiss to his cheek.

~*~

Sam's lower jaw shifted sideways but it was the only outward sign that Ben's jab hit its mark. It was expected but that didn't make the secondary shit-stain Vomas had willed him stink any less.

"I w-wish I c-could," he stammered honestly, his hands clenching up so that his thumbs could brush reflexively across the pads of his fingers. "I didn't kn-now. Honestly. I... we split when I found out. He didn't even have it by then. He s-sank it all into his... well, I don't know the details," Sam shrugged, his expression apologetic.

"For what it's worth, I'm s-sorry. I c-came to apologise a-and... ask if you had any use for a l-librarian. Maybe here?" he suggested, looking around before he stared back into Ben's eyes. "I need a job," he admitted and swallowed, expecting another dig.

Offline pinkroses

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2019, 12:35:30 AM »
Murphy gave a small nod, accepting Jake’s apology before he was pulled into a hug, which ended all too soon. He turned to face Sam, giving her a smile before she started speaking, then the smile faltered.

What the hell? Murphy glanced at Sam, completely confused by her little speech. Yes, he wanted to spend time with Jake, but did she realise she was basically telling Jake to step down? He hadn’t seen her as being manipulative or cruel before, but those words, mingled with gentle touches and a loving voice, it must be hurting Jake – did she really think she could do a better job than her sire? She seemed like a kind person, but that declaration revealed otherwise.

Although he didn’t like the look on Jake’s face, Murphy didn’t blame him for that reaction and, to be honest, it could have been much worse. She was basically saying she didn’t trust her sire, Murphy could well have picked a few choice words Jake could have had in return.

He despite the look, his voice seemed calm enough, and Sam said nothing in return, just turning and leaving them, as though she hadn’t just dropped that bomb-shell. Was there maybe something wrong with her? She’d seemed bright enough on their previous meetings, although he hadn’t spent that much time with her.

“Uh, that was… um,” Murphy turned back towards Jake, giving a shrug. “I have no words, it seems like everyone’s gone a bit mental. Not sure how she really thought that was a good idea,” he added, glancing back in the direction Sam had gone.

“Did you want to head off?” he asked Jake, lightly touching his arm. Murphy had already had the grand tour and signed up for the classes he wanted to take. He’d wanted to catch up with Ben, but no doubt his friend was busy and he didn’t really want to leave Jake waiting whilst he did that. On the other hand, Jake might not want to just disappear after that kind of announcement. Surely when running for office you had to be seen to be showing your face, not making an appearance at a public even then skulking off.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2019, 12:36:12 AM »
Rachel impatiently listened to the speech, occasionally catching Damien's stare.  "Don't think I didn't catch that."  She whispered out of the corner of her mouth.  "Shouldn't you be paying attention,"  she smirked, eyes forward to the steps.

But then the announcement came, and she could feel the tension growing in his body.  She thought it was pretty fucked to announce a campaign at this event.  More vampire politic drama.  Rachel sighed through her nose, watching the situation play out before her.  They would talk more about it later, she was sure, when there were less opportunities to be overheard.  She looked up at Damien when he sent her the message and rolled her eyes as she returned the thought.

"Yeeeeah.... It's uh.  Certainly a decision."  She snaked her arm around the small of his back and squeezed him a little.  With the ribbon cut and the crowd trickling into the Academy, she pulled away from Damien's grip and slipped her fingers between his.

"Interested in sneaking off somewhere,"  She looked at him deviously, not caring about who would be paying attention (because honestly she doubted anyone would be in this exact moment).  In her mind was the image of the parking lot full of cars but not people, her back pressed against the driver's side of their car as his lips traced a path down her neck.  Her face flushed slightly as she grinned.

"Hey!"  Astrid smiled and stood, putting the piece she was working on down on the chair she had just vacated.  "Kerr--right?  Nice to meet the one the Academy was named after."  She reached out to shake his hand.  The back of her mind was buzzing, trying to communicate something about the vampire before her.  There was a kind of fuzzy glowing feeling emanating from his chest, something that called to her, which was very curious.  Astrid, not wanting to exhaust herself today, attempted to separate herself from the feelings and focus on the questions he had asked her.

"Short answer: yes.  You are limited only by your ability, level of skill, creativity and ingredients."  Perhaps an obvious answer, drastically oversimplified.  A witch making an object was one thing.  This could have a level of complexity that non-magic-users couldn't touch.  But simple rudimentary things, like boosting confidence or luck, were very simple to achieve with a bit of effort. 

"I personally enjoy working with jewelry and blades."  Jewelry was practical.  Knives were fun.  She missed having access to a forge.  Part of her childhood was spent watching the local blacksmith back home work.  "Though I have made a few shambles with paperclips and lint before."  She laughed.  It might've been a joke (it wasn't), and she didn't elaborate.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2019, 05:15:19 AM »
He had set up a table inside next to the entrance of one of the classrooms, mainly to see if he could gather more students for his class, as some people had indeed already signed up. He had out a syllabus of what his class was about and all of which that they were going to study. He would answer questions and greet any student with a sense a professionalism and happiness. He wasn't aware that Sam was here, as he drank from his coffee while students came up to him and asked what he was, what he was teaching, and some even asked why his hair was up in the way it was. The last question threw him off guard the first time, but fuck it, he liked his hair being up like this, and thus only responded with he enjoyed the hairstyle. Sure it was a feminine way to wear ones hair but he didn't care.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2019, 09:00:25 AM »
He scowled at his human, both enjoying and disapproving of the inappropriate thought in so public a place. He still found feeding to be an intimate act, despite being openly known as a vampire. Like chewing gum in the middle of a speech. Still, the newfound frisky part of him that enjoyed her deviousness entertained the thought in its entirety, imagining the ability to slip back into the lot and push her against the Lexus and drink her. The thought stirred him briefly, especially with Rachel thinking so loudly and openly about it the eroticism of the moment, but the political playground that the event had become had left a highly distracting, sour taste in his mouth.

Damien kissed the top of her head brusquely, replying aloud with a short, "No," before leading her at the back of the crowd up the stairs and towards the school. As he ascended, he noticed Ben Samson with another vampire. Not wishing to distract him, but feeling rude without acknowledging the young man who employed him, Damien dipped his head in a brief nod towards Ben as he and Rachel passed through the door. Whether or not it was acknowledged, Damien passed through the Academy doorway. Damien made a mental note to catch up and offer his congratulations later.

It was the first time that he had been in the new school, and he was quite impressed with everything, despite his tension. His anger began to ebb as he watched, touched by awe, as the other visitors wandered. The attention to detail, comfort, and professionalism was profound, something he hadn't expected after Ben's rashness outside. Damien felt - dare he admit? - excited about the start of the semester, a feeling of excitement filling the academy and echoing around him. He wondered plainly about what it must feel like to be a student here - was it different than how he felt now?

He had visited other campuses of course - Harvard, Yale, Oxford even - and he knew what to expect. For some reason, one that he couldn't quite place, this campus began to feel different, special. Designed with the supernatural population in mind, it seemed to have everything he could think of and more. Damien wanted to see it all, but had no idea where to start. He turned to Rachel for her reaction, stepping out of the way of the trickle of other prospects flowing in behind him.

"Well, Rache. What would you like to see first?" A touch of delight leaked into his voice and Damien relaxed again.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2019, 12:06:48 PM »
Kevla grinned and leaned into Psych's kiss just a little bit. She loved how easily they understood each other even with it being only a short time. It amazed her and made her incredibly happy. Out of anyone she had dated, nobody seemed to get her quite like Psych did. "With most definitely, my bad boy." she said with a playful wink as their lips parted, shifting a hand to try to rest it on his side. "I'd love to check out what they have for witchcraft ones. Then maybe those telepathy ones because of my brother and I's abilities." she answered brightly, glancing over at her brother.

Arutha blushed a bit at Naoise's tease as he picked him up. He then had to chuckle lightly at the images his beloved was sending him. "Maybe the latter one if we go in more busy places. For I am not about to let you get trampled, Kit." he promised as he carefully cradled him close. "As for what I'd prefer is this and I will get you there. For I love you too." Arutha told him honestly as he sent him an image of Naoise's true form and himself kissing. "Though you do make one debonair cat, my dear " he lightly teased.

He then lifted up his eyebrows as he both heard part of what his sister was saying and then Naoise's excited whisper. He smiled happily, "From the looks of things, they have a little bit of everything. So it's a good start. Let's see what there is to see."

When Ben gave the opening announcement, it was hard not to notice the crowd's reactions and how there seemed to be alot more going on. Prior to their arrival Psych had given them a brief overview about the current political climate among the supernaturals as a just in case. It was basically a crash course in who was who for the district leaders and etc. And there seemed to be a bit of a rivalry brewing between the young vampire named Ben and one of the current district leaders named Jake McCloud. It was hard not to notice. Still it didn't detract, it made this whole experience just that much more interesting.
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." -Siddhartha Buddha

Arutha, Declan, Kevla, Kieran, Mitrius

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2019, 03:09:37 PM »
Cain gave a warm smile at the greeting, enjoying the touch and thrilled by the attention James gave him. He'd figured that he wouldn't get a hug or kiss because they were at his workplace.

He nodded at the question but then made a pained expression. "I'd wanted to but they're really expensive," he said. He was being boring now and he hoped that James would forgive him. His job as a landscaper didn't pay much and his savings were gradually dwindling. Manual labour didn't pay as much as a full-time Oligarchy donor.

Not that the job was available to him anymore. Not that he wanted the job anymore.

Being a human 'in the know' meant he could at least attend the classes, but when he'd seen the fees, he'd balked. He wouldn't be signing up to any classes tonight, but at least he could see what was on offer. He was happy to do it with James at his side, too.

~~~

Digital started packing up the audio equipment, focussing on his task. He would put everything into equipment cases and then take the cases downstairs to the storage room near the security room. Once he was walking the corridors, passing people ogling in all the rooms, he was reminded quite strongly of Flick.

"AROOOOOOOOO!" he howled, startling a number of people who gave him a third look. Their second look would've been because of his kilt and boots combo.
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2019, 08:30:37 AM »
Jake was relieved when Sam strode off, not really wishing to fight with her again after only making up a few weeks ago. He would talk to her later. He was sure this was just a misfire in her brain. He had those too, and besides, it was Ben that made him feel so pissed. She needed new direction in life. It seemed Sam had outgrown the White Rabbit.  He turned back towards Murphy, who thankfully confirmed his weird feelings about the exchange with his fledge. However, the event had been strangely sobering for Jake, and his desire to leave had lessened. Was Murphy really this good at keeping him from exploding?

"She's... in a mood it seems," he said, as if this was normal. He grabbed Murphy's hand and slowly started walking them back towards the Academy. "I need to sign up for classes, and still want to see the building. How about while I sign up for what I want to take, you go visit Ben, and we tour the building afterwords?"

He didn't want their date to end, or to just go back to the White Rabbit. Murphy deserved to see Jake pull through his emotions and that he could dislike Ben and still support their friendship. It was all fine, as long as he didn't have to make small talk with the little malignancy. He would think about all this election business tomorrow. 

James frowned as Cain explained why he couldn't take classes. Money was such a fickle inconvenience, but the disclosure reminded Dr. Barrow he didn't know that much about Cain. The sight had shown him bits and pieces, but the puzzle was incomplete, the painting missing texture. Maybe he could ask Ben to let him be his TA. He didn't think it was right that this nice person was in such need. He didn't know what Cain had planned for his visit to the building, but he knew he would be running a booth inside to discuss his classes, counseling and to even do a bit of divination.

"Let's tour the building together and maybe we can discuss you helping me out in my class. Perhaps my employer would be willing to let you sign up for a class or two if you're helping, that is... if that sort of thing interests you. I wouldn't like to presume." He looked concerned he might've overstepped his bounds, and looked to Cain for reply. He would start moving them towards the Academy, feeling the pull of his booth. 
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2019, 11:25:21 AM »
Charon closed his eyes briefly at her kiss, opening them to see that they were in a thinning crowd. A decision face them; go inside or leave? He turned his head to look at Jeanne.

Did you wish to teach? I believe it is possible to only offer a few hours a week, he asked, unsure if she wanted Venture to be her only focus. If you're considering it, we could tour the building and see what the blueprints have yielded. Otherwise, I would like to visit the club.

Ben didn't remember Samuel being a stutterer. The other vampire had never been nervous around him - their roles had certainly been reversed.

The story he told was one Ben could have predicted; either Samuel was in on it and both he and Vomas were laughing at the Oligarchy's trust in them, or he hadn't known and it had ripped them apart when he'd found out. Samuel's words had the ring of truth, but Vomas losing it all in some scheme or other was a touch that made him bitterly pleased. So now Vomas had nothing. Good. An appropriate ending for a selfish piece of work.

Ben shook his head to show he didn't care about the details. The apology actually went a long way to making him feel better about Samuel, and then he was surprised by something he should've found unsurprising. Of course, Samuel was after a job. The dumb thing was, if the situation had been different - if nothing untoward had happened - Ben would've installed Samuel as Dean of the Academy. It was a bureaucratic role, one that would've suited Samuel well, since he'd been in control of the archives and the library. There was no way Ben was going to put him in charge of it now.

"Well, I have some books on shelves here. Not all of them. But I did take all the books your ex grabbed and shoved into his white elephant of a building. It got torn down, you know. Dodgy contractors and all that." Ben knew he was rubbing Samuel's face in the failings of his boyfriend, which was a shitty thing to do, so he sighed and made his offer. "But yeah, I could use you. Digital found the archives data storage disk recently but I don't understand it or know how to compile it, so if you show up at The Luminary... um, at the old Oligarchy Chambers building tomorrow, I can hand that over to you to get started. I'll talk to Ichabod about getting an employment contract written up and you can sign it. Come by at ten."

Giving Samuel a job working exactly where he wanted to work would win his loyalty, Ben was sure. Plus, Ben had fucked up way more than Samuel had, and on multiple occasions, and he was in a position to be lenient. All hail the new candidate.

Offline pinkroses

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2019, 05:51:39 AM »
Murphy opened his mouth to protest – Jake could easily sign up online or another time, when all of this wasn’t quite so fresh. But it had to be a good sign that Jake did want to go back in, and Murphy did want to see Ben.

“Ok, that sounds like a good plan,” Murphy said with a grin, pleased that Jake didn’t seem to mind him going to see Ben, even after what had just happened. He was pretty annoyed at Ben, both his timing and the fact he was doing this at all, but he needed to see his friend.

“I’ll give you a text when I’m done, hope you find some good stuff to sign up for,” he said, leaning in to give Jake a soft kiss and squeezing his hand before they finished their walk into the building again. He gave Jake a final smile, before releasing his hand and heading to find Ben.

It didn’t take too long, but Ben looked like he was in the middle of a conversation, hopefully getting close to wrapping up… He didn’t want to just interrupt though, so he loitered nearby, browsing a stall without really paying attention at what he was looking at.

Ichabod loitered near the stage as Ben and Kerr made their way off into the crowds and he took a few moments to just be pleased his tiny bit of speech had gone ok. He’d known Ben was going to make his announcement and that there wasn’t really any way to follow that with much impact, but hopefully those who needed help would get wind of their offer and take them up on it.

He smiled warmly as he was approached by various people, making small talk, giving information, nodding at the sage advice some felt they needed to give the youngster who was running the Academy now that Ben was taking a step back. Ichabod knew he’d changed since he’d first become involved with vampires – at school he’d been a jock and mostly hid his love of studying to help himself stay popular, but everything that had happened had dented his confidence.

Now, it was actually starting to come back because he didn’t have much option but to be sociable, chatty, and making decisions when for the last few years he’d just kind of… gone with the flow. It felt weird, but amazing.

Ichabod strolled through the crowd, fielding a few questions about Ben’s upcoming run for leadership, but fortunately most questions were about the university as people had come prepared. He stopped at a few stalls and popped his head into a couple of classrooms to offer support, but he paused when he came to Sam’s.

He waited whilst Sam discussed her course with some potential students, then stepped forwards, giving her a small smile.

“Sam, sorry if that was a bit of a surprise. I hope it won’t affect you wanting to be a part of all this. I know your course is going to be popular,” Ichabod said, straightening a couple of leaflets on Sam’s desk as he spoke. Perhaps if Jake lost his leadership her class wouldn’t be quite as popular… but he wasn’t about to launch into that.

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2019, 12:24:42 AM »
Jeanne tilted her head, regarding the building before them with a slightly wrinkled nose.

I have no burning desire to do so, no. As far as I'm aware, they have no void in their curriculum that could only be filled by my participation.

She wanted to be special. She was arrogant but deservedly so; she was ancient, a highly-accomplished and versatile woman with innumerable skills. She didn't want to teach... but it would be nice to. She'd enjoy working alongside Kerr or getting to know Ichabod and she knew she'd be good at it but... no-one had personally asked her to join the Academy faculty. A lady liked to be wanted. Charon might detect a flavour of bitterness in her thoughts but she doubted he'd be so gauche as to draw attention to it.

Truthfully, it was probably for the best. She knew herself. She'd become too invested in someone, start looking for connections, adopt someone here, seduce someone there... and there... and probably there as well. Jeanne stopped looking around and sighed regretfully. Yes, for the best.

I'm happy to go to the club.

~*~

Samuel was so surprised to get what he wanted - to get a result beyond his wildest dream, in fact - without too much of his dignity being stripped away, that he was left speechless and gaping at Ben. When he finally realised he needed to respond, he blinked and leapt forward to grab Ben's hand in both of his and pump it enthusiastically. "Oh, my god! Thank you. Thank you!" he gushed. "I'll be there. Ten, tomorrow night. Oligarchy. Got it!"

He couldn't seem to stop, though Ben tugging on his hand and looking at him with an expression bordering on horror finally pierced the cloud of happiness around him. He released Ben as if he'd been burnt, his eyes widening. There was a strange, silent moment of awkwardness between them and then Samuel extended two fingers away from his forehead in a travesty of some sort of salute. "Sorry about that. Thank you again. Enjoy your evening!" he announced before he spun on his heel and marched away into the crowd as fast as his feet would carry him.

He hadn't asked if there'd be accommodation along with his newfound position but he was not going back to ask now. Tomorrow night would do. He performed a neat little mid-air heel click as he descended the stairs into the courtyard.

~*~

Kerr was embarrassed that Astrid knew his name but he smiled and shook her hand gently. "Yes. That's me," he chirped, attempting to sound enthusiastic about his name-only role in the enormous creation around them. He also tried to keep up with the conditions outlined in her rapidly-spoken, dazzlingly-detailed short answer but he was so busy feeling uncomfortable that he didn't really tune in until her final statements.

"Oh, I've made a shambles out of many more things than just paper clips and lint," Kerr intoned sagely, completely misinterpreting her use of the word. "Your jewellery looks lovely. Making magical jewellery makes sense. What use is there in imbuing magic in a blade, though? Is it to assist with its damage or boost the abilities of the wielder?"

He wondered if he was something like those rings and daggers now. Just an ordinary object filled with a magic he didn't understand and barely knew how to use. An animated conduit. Surely it didn't make him magical? His hand strayed to his chest, flattening protectively over the portal just because he was thinking about it.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2019, 01:07:11 AM »
Astrid gave Kerr a quizzical look about the shambles before remembering that the word had another meaning.  She kept a laugh to herself.

"Thank you," she lovingly looked at the pieces of jewelry on the table.  Designs for them (and blades) constantly popped into her head at inconvenient moments and she spent a great deal of time thinking about them.  His question made her pause.  There were many things that could be added to a blade.  What was the last one she made?  It had been too long.  Something ceremonial probably.  Blades could be used for much more than fighting.

"Enchantments can be practical as you said, enhancing its purpose or things like everlasting sharpness and shine, making it serve only you, adding caustic venom...  Then there's effects that are more, well, metaphysical or supernatural I guess you could say.  Like..."  she trailed off, looking up as if searching the sky for an example,  "Cutting through a barrier, for instance, or even creating a barrier.  Banishing specters, slaying monsters, things like that."  The last part was said with a joking tone, but she was serious.  She had helped make one demon-slaying blade in her life.  That was a month-long process requiring specific astrological timing and rare ingredients. She was just a young apprentice at the time.

Now Astrid noticed his hand placed on his chest.  There was a pulse again, pushing past her previous attempts at blocking it.  You have something there, she thought, cocking her head curiously.  Not wanting to be rude she averted her stare and rushed to cover it by continuing to speak.

"Ah--now that you've got me talking about something I like, I'm rambling."  She laughed a little strained, feeling more of an insistent tug of magic calling magic, a distracting beacon.  "I do cover some of this in class, though, if you are interested."  It was an offhanded remark, said more to wrap up the conversation than anything else.  She didn't exactly think he would be taking any classes.  Surely, someone that important would be too busy.

Rachel playfully pouted and made a small noise when he kissed the top of her head.  One day she would get him to do something reckless in public.  It was her personal mission.  She smiled cheekily at the thought as he led her up the stairs and into the Academy.  There were so many people.  When Damien paused to acknowledge Ben, she offered a polite smile while holding a bit snug to Damien's arm.  She was glad when they kept moving, tired from all the schmoozing and excited to take a look around the place.  It was dreadfully cute to see him so excited--like a puppy.  Rachel didn't really know anything about the campus at all and wasn't sure how much she'd be able to actually take in as they walked around.  But she did want to tease him as much as she possibly could.  They stopped just after entering the building, and she took one of his hands as he spoke.

"I want to see where you'll be teaching."  She grinned mischievously, trying to subdue more suggestive thoughts from traveling to him. 
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2019, 10:13:38 AM »
He took a break from his table to go back outside, he needed some fresh air. The idea that Dr. Hofflan might even have someone physically watching him made him feel a bit sick, so the fresh air after being in a now warm hallway filled with people was welcomed. His coffee had since been finished, but he wish it wasn't. He was debating if waiting in the line at the diner was really worth it right now. He leaned against the wall of the school, near the door holding his coffee mug, thinking and taking in the fresh air.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2019, 11:58:46 AM »
Ben wiped his palms together as he watched Sam hurry away, wondering if the other vampire had ever been that weird or if Ben hadn't really noticed. All he remembered was Sam being strict with him about the Oligarchy books. He did recall that Sam had been incredibly knowledgeable, and maybe his experience with his ex had humbled him. Hopefully Sam wouldn't learn to be imperious with the students.

He looked around for Damien, who out of the corner of his eye had seen a nod but by the time Ben realised it was an acknowledgement and nodded back, Damien had already walked on. Never mind, he couldn't meet with everybody and there had been a pretty mortal woman on the vampire's arm. Girlfriend? Pet? He didn't really care.

His gaze caught Murphy past the doorway, outside in the courtyard looking at some stalls. It wasn't lost that Murphy was aligned just so that Ben would see him out there. He pretended not to notice a group of people loitering on the other side gathering the courage to talk to him (probably about inane stuff that Ichabod could answer - he had more patience with people), and made his way past the stairs going down to go to the courtyard. Murphy was at the first stall where there was a stack of papers with a pyramid paperweight to stop them blowing away (which Ben recognised from Vincent's place) and a jar of buttons. Ben remembered those buttons from practising his telekinesis with Owen. It brought a smile to his face as he approached Murphy, who he was feeling a bit weird about now. He seemed always to be with Jake - but the other vampire wasn't immediately around. Perhaps he'd fucked off. Ben hoped so.

"Hey, Murph," he greeted, uncaring who was around to see him gather his friend into a hug. Over Murphy's shoulder Ben could see Kerr at Astrid's stall, his back to the pair of them. "So we should make a date to get together," he said, the smile on his face not quite reaching his eyes. "Unless you're pissed off at me."