Author Topic: The Academy's Opening Fete  (Read 30405 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: The Academy's Opening Fete
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2019, 04:39:19 AM »
Dr. Barrow watched Own's reaction to Cain, eyebrows raising, and wolfish grin turning into something more contemplative. He'd reacted like Cain was someone of importance, and he remembered the word that kept showing up in his mind the night he'd met the human, favorite. Had Cain been Kerr's favorite? Is that why he saw Ben Samson the night they'd met? He needed to meet this Kerr and ask him a few questions. All he knew so far was what Ben had said in his speech. He also decided it might be a good idea to ask Ben about it. He wanted to date Cain, but not if his heart belonged to another. Then again, it could be fun to mess with that old schema. Perhaps he could learn a few of Cain's buzz words that way.

He took the offered handshake, but felt invisible in the room. Cain seemed to be everyone's focus, and he replied simply, "It's nice to meet you, and I look forward to working with you."

He was going to explain he was the school psychologist, and that staff as well as students could come to him, but all of that seemed misplaced. Owen would find all that out soon enough in an email. Instead he turned to Cain, and grabbed his hand lightly. "I think you're important," he said softly. The tone was about subtly more than secretiveness, and he followed it up with a wink and a grin. To Owen, he said nothing more. He hadn't been asked anything, and didn't feel the need to over insert himself into their conversation.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2019, 08:45:41 AM »
"No, Sam did not tell me to praise you. It is my opinion and the opinion of my deities as well. I would be chastised by them if I gave false praise," a small smile on her lips.

Maria's face became serious when Jake had mentioned he wanted to call a meeting, that would be wise now that Ben has threatened to take the Central away from Jake. As their High Priestess, Maria is there for a position of service and not an opportunity for power games. That is common for all High Priestess and she would help Jake within reason as the campaign got underway.

"That would be wise to call a meeting Jake. I agree with inviting Luke, his experience could help us." Giving him a solid nod.

Maria had a feeling Jake would be choosing Luke to fill the role as Sheriff, it was a choice Maria could get behind. His military experience along with his mutations, unfortunate as his mutations were, would help deal with the supernaturals. The man bested Jake in a battle he would be a welcomed addition to their security force.

"That's okay," giving him a smile. Thinking maybe the name would have popped out at Ichabod.

"That would be wonderful thank you," a wide grin on her face.

"Unfortunately," she continued, "I don't have a surname. I met her at Sanctuary a few weeks ago. She said she was taking my class. I hope she didn't back out," Sam liked Alena a lot and their encounter stuck in Sams' head.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2019, 04:43:53 PM »
Ben put the seven o'clock meeting into his phone with a reminder, nodding with a smile at 'having to get used to it'.

"I'd rather not," Ben replied to the naked advice with a wry grin. "Have you looked around? Or did you need to get back to, uh," he paused, wanting Murphy to fill in the name, but the silence extended. "Jake?" he finished lamely.

There was a shout followed closely by a warble and a cackle. Ben turned to see what the hell was going on. Kerr was handling it, by the look. "We good? I've got to do the rounds," Ben asked, squeezing Murphy's shoulder and feeling a bit flighty about getting together tomorrow.

Charon telepathically called for their driver, who'd parked below because there hadn't been space in the carpark. She directed the car up at a sedate pace, picked up Charon and Jeanne, and circled the carpark in order to turn and leave.

The night wasn't over for them yet, but the rest of it would happen in familiar territory; Venture.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline pinkroses

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2019, 05:55:39 PM »
“Well, I’ll do my best and drop you an email after I’ve had a look,” Ichabod said with a grin, pulling out his phone and jotting himself a reminder of the name to look up the following night. Sam would have access to her own class lists, but maybe she hadn’t figured that out yet.

“If she’s not on there, maybe she’s just a bit unorganised with getting signed up, there’s still time,” Ichabod added, slipping his phone back into his pocket.

“Have you got your lessons all planned out? It must take so much organisation, and confidence. At least it’s not like at a school for children, where they have to be there. These students want to be taught,” Ichabod said with a chuckle. He had hated doing the tiny speech he’d just given and the thought of doing that for an hour multiple times a week in front of a room full of people would make him feel sick. He much preferred doing the background organisation and making sure everything ran smoothly so that the lecturers could do what they needed to with ease.

Murphy opened his mouth to respond to Ben’s stilted question about Jake, but both of their attentions were caught by the minor disruption and then Ben was dismissing him.

He shut his mouth and gave Ben a nod. “Yeah, yeah we’re good. You go do your thing. I’ll see you tomorrow,” Murphy said in a much chirpier tone than he was feeling inside. He stayed where he was as Ben disappeared into the crowd, awkwardly shifting his weight from one foot to the other as he debated what to do next. He wasn’t sure if Jake would have had enough time to do all he’d wanted to do and didn’t want to interrupt him if he’d been waylaid by conversations.

He thought back to their time in the car on the way over here and slowly made his way out of the crowd towards the carpark. Earlier he’d been excited about the rest of the evening, spending a few hours alone with Jake, maybe being fed from, maybe more if Jake had been feeling ready for it. Now he’d lost that mood with everything that had happened and he guessed Jake would have too. Maybe he’d be going into full-on campaign mode, wasn’t that was politicians did?

As he pulled his phone from his pocket Murphy sat on the steps leading to the carpark, resting his elbows on his knees. He caught sight of Charon and Jeanne departing and watched them go before dropping his gaze back to his phone and sending Jake a quick text.

I’m out by the carpark, ready when you are. Don’t rush x

Whilst he waited Murphy browsed the internet and found his way to his article about the trial online. There were Astrid’s sketches and credit alongside his writing, and a small headshot of Murphy. He copied the link and emailed it to Astrid with a request for her payment details (unaware she was just inside) so he could forward them on to the paper to get her payment for the pictures. Once that was dealt with he went back to the article, scrolling through the comments underneath, most of which were bad-mouthing Lazarus, and a couple anonymously asking for Dr Barrows’ contact details to become his patients. Murphy was pleased with that, it had been partly why he had emphasised his role.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2019, 06:24:39 PM »
Rather than interrupting Kerr, Digital and Samuel, Ben headed for Astrid, who was one of the last people he'd managed to attract to teach at the Academy and had one of the most interesting classes (in his opinion). He'd also had an unofficial request from her. It had been more like a wish said in passing, as far as Ichabod told it, but Ben was intrigued by the idea.

"So I heard you would like a forge here," he said, moving to Astrid's stall. After Kerr had left it, she'd had a few people take some information sheets but nobody had hung around to talk. He was aware he'd caught her unprepared, and she probably didn't know how he'd got wind of it. He'd noticed that chatter would always get back to him from staff. The coffee shop people liked to talk the most, he'd found. Ask them how their shift had gone and they would tell him about every single customer in detail. Most of the time it was boring but every now and then he'd learn something that intrigued him.

"A forge or a furnace?" he asked when she looked up at him. "Are they the same?" He thought so, but 'forge' sounded more interesting.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2019, 12:51:02 AM »
Samuel watched as Kerr looked thoughtfully at Digital, dignifying his garbled commentary with a nod. For his part, Samuel squinted at the kilted vampire, trying to decide what he thought about what he'd heard. It was not common knowledge that the first Luminary of the Oligarchy had been a dragon. Samuel only knew because he'd done a lot of research in the Oligarchy's library and found hints and notes in places very few people had ever looked. He'd also done a lot of listening around the halls, had discussions with knowledgeable people like Bralik, the clan leader of the Mimic Demons and asked questions that confirmed his suspicions.

The fact that this young vampire not only knew but openly stated it - in the middle of everyone! - fascinated Sam. "There are dragons in the crowd?" he asked conspiratorially, shifting closer to Digital.

Kerr's eyebrows lifted and he shook his head sharply. "Don't... take him too literally," he warned, continuing when Sam gave him a confused look. "Digital is clairvoyant but cryptic. A lot of what he says doesn't make sense because his gift filters the information queerly. He's amazing, though. And usually very entertaining. You'll never be bored, working with him," Kerr said, looking affectionately up at the slightly taller vampire. His smile was loving, which shocked Samuel and made him wonder...

Samuel made a decision and held his hand out towards Digital to be shaken. "H-hi there, Digital. I'm Sam. Sounds like we're gonna' have some fun together," he drawled, grinning curiously up at him - if a little nervously. How could he communicate the complexity of his database project to a vampire that couldn't speak or think straight?

~*~

Shut up. Stay out of it.
Shut UP! Stay out of it, Owen.

Owen stared at Cain a little too long while he gave himself a mental Vincent-themed pep talk, his eyebrows raised and his mouth a perfect circle of potential incrimination. "Surrrre," he eventually came out with, unable to knowledgeably argue that Kerr wasn't busy or that he'd enjoy seeing him again. The only time he'd met the man had been in the middle of a crisis and the topic of Cain had certainly not come up, then. It made him realise he should really check in on Ben, he hadn't looked good at all, that night.

He looked at the doctor again, doing his best to appear professional and smile with only some of his teeth. "And it's nice to have met you, too. I should continue with my rounds. Apparently I gotta' be careful about what folks are getting up to in these big, empty rooms." He winked at Doctor Barrow to show he was teasing and started backing out of the room. "You two... behave yourselves and have a good rest of your evening, now - just not too good, in here," he smirked, pointing an index finger at each of the men as he stepped backwards. If nothing else of relevance was said, he'd turn and leave the room to do exactly as he'd said he would - continue his rounds.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2019, 08:33:59 AM »
Damien smiled back at his human, his eyes falling back on her after identifying other parts the presentation equipment built into the room. "Yes," he said cautiously, not wanting to really admit that it was something he was feeling intimidated by. "Is it that obvious?" He could stand in front of his fledged family, now dozens strong, and give the most boring news or make a mandate without struggle. He knew how to do such things easily and had been doing them for the better part of centuries. But given a classroom, a projector, and a white board and suddenly he was feeling a bit timid? It was a silly thing.

He returned to her, and rested his hands on her hips. He could feel her heat through the thin fabric of her dress and tried not to pay attention to it. Instead, he took a kiss from her lips and smiled into her, enjoying the spark it caused. The thought of nudging her backwards until her back was against the wall pulled at him warmly. He couldn't resist the fun; Damien kissed his human deeper, pressing his weight against her, pinning her tenderly to the wall of the door they had just come through. He smiled through the kiss and kept moving until Rachel's heels were at the wall. It was only kissing, after all. Surely no one would have anything to say about that.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2019, 08:47:05 AM »
The witch gave Kerr a nod, having an internal laugh at the phrase esteemed acquaintance, thinking it was overly polite.  Here she considered herself a humble nobody--with a bit of luck landing this job anyway.  Back home she might’ve been more of a somebody--her family had a reputation at any rate.  Not that she expected anyone to know that. 

The sudden sound made her jump.  She eyed the vampire in the kilt, feeling a kind of jolt from him.  This one was a kind of Seer too, but with a sort of something that felt like static electricity.  It might be interesting to talk with him, but she had the feeling that he would be more puzzling than attempting to take messages from tasseography literally. 

Perhaps she could read from him like divining from cards--now that would be interesting.

Astrid was about to make a note of that somewhere before she was approached by Ben.  She greeted him with a warm smile and was about to launch into the usual hello and smalltalk until he spoke first.

“Uh--where did you hear that?”  she laughed self-consciously, red touching her cheeks.  “I mean yeah, it would be really cool but I wasn’t intending on teaching a smithing class.”  Not in the way that she learned anyway.  Some techniques were a bit private.  Besides, folding magic into a blade was hardly a basic skill and she was still developing her own. 

“Eventually when I was a bit more settled I wanted to build one.”  Sure, a simple propane furnace was more straightforward and easier to come by than the more traditional set-ups.  But she had grand ideas about sigil-engraved bricks and clay making up an outdoor forge tucked away somewhere on a bit of private land she could call her own. Then, finding some antique anvil and tongs with a bit of history and breaking out her hammers that hadn’t seen heated steel in ages.

“It’s not obvious, I just know you.”  Rachel shrugged and returned the smile.  "You're going to do fine."

She watched him return to her and was about to say something else encouraging until his lips met hers and she couldn't help but melt against him.  Gasping a bit into his mouth when her back hit the wall, she moved her mouth away from his and pressed their cheeks together.

"Now who's going to get us in trouble?"  She whispered into his ear.  Her fingers wandered from his chest where they had been pinned down a bit lower.  "So, you got a fancy office or what?"  It was probably a bad idea--well, several bad ideas.  The prospect of getting caught was too exciting but if someone did walk in on them he'd probably scared off of doing anything daring like that ever again.  And that would completely spoil her fun.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2019, 03:16:40 AM »
Dr. Barrow watched Owen, amused by his apparent confusion and awkwardness. This one would be a treat to mess with, and there were more mysteries buried in that pretty little head of his. Cain didn’t immediately jump to offer other insights or conversation, and so Dr. Barrow didn’t feel awkward letting him leave. He casually waved, and smiled in Owen’s direction.

“Of course, of course. We won’t get up to anything my mother wouldn’t approve off. Enjoy your evening Mr. Harper.”

Once Owen was gone, Dr. Barrow turned to Cain. “Would you like to say hello to Kerr? We can go together if you like.” 

If Cain said no Dr. Barrow wouldn’t fight him. In fact, he hoped he would so they could go back to snogging.

Jake enjoyed his chat with Maria, using the time while Murphy was with Ben to get to know her better. Her enthusiasm was a welcome change and she seemed to be really embracing the job as Keeper. Loyalty was a rare but important thing to cultivate and both Maria, and to a lesser degree, Luke, seemed loyal and supportive. He’d pay back that loyalty in spades. His phone chirped and seeing it was Murphy he answered that he’d be out soon.

“Thank you again for your kind words. If you could please do me a favor and check on Sam. She had some daft idea about running for me and while I handled it better than in the past I think she’s upset I didn’t love the idea.”

He’d wait for her reply before telling her good evening and heading out to meet Murphy.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2019, 07:28:48 AM »
"Sam is adept at hiding certain things from people. From her outburst tonight I can tell she is struggling with something Jake." Her voice was somber as she spoke of Sam.

"Do not take to heart what she said and your reaction is valid, I do not blame you. I will speak to her and message you later," bidding him farewell as she made her way to find Sam.

"Naw I thought I just wing it," she couldn't keep a serious face and giggled.

"I'm kidding!" She exclaimed with a wave of her hand. Sam didn't want Ichabod to think she was completely unprofessional.

"Thank you for the vote of confidence. I have the first section all lined up for class. I try not to get too far ahead since there is so much information." Sam had done that back when the classes were held in the Ward and it was a disaster. Trial and error.

"Like you mentioned the students want to be taught. If a student or students have a good idea or question I acknowledge them next class. Another reason why I try not to get too far ahead, makes it a little easier. I've found if you validate them they participate more in class," speaking in a chipper tone.

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2019, 01:25:04 PM »
Cain remained quiet as the two vampires spoke, hoping that Kerr wouldn't be brought up again. He wasn't. The tension in Cain's muscles unknotted the instant Owen left and he looked to James, who swatted him with Kerr's name. Cain shook his head quickly before replying.

"He won't want to see me," Cain said, embarrassed by their last time together. As much as Cain wanted to see Kerr, he knew he was only a reminder for a bad time. Not long after, Kerr had disappeared and been presumed dead. It was nice that he was alive  but it was none of his business how or why that had happened. He thought it would be a dick move to push himself onto Kerr now, when he was probably still getting settled. "I screwed things up for him last time we were together."

He wondered if James would pursue it or not. Being a psychiatrist, he thought he might, but Cain wasn't paying for a session so he might not.

~~~

When Sam's face closed in, Digital's eyes grew wide and round behind his goggles. He made a theatrical whisper; "Baby dragons, yessss. Their mama is in Chinatown."

He turned and scowled at Kerr. "Don't speak about me like I'm not here." He put his nose in the air and retrieved his arm from Kerr, offended. Immediately afterward, he turned the highest wattage of a smile at Sam. "We could have a lot of fun together. Less 'boo' more 'oh my god', if you're into it."
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

Offline pinkroses

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2019, 07:01:36 PM »
Ichabod gave a chuckle as Sam joked, understanding without her needing to explain that it was a joke.

“That’s fair enough, I’ve never taught or done any kind of training to teach, so I’m going to have to trust that you all know what you’re doing,” he added with a grin. “Maybe it’s not so much confidence as blind faith,” he added with a wink, before glancing over his shoulder as he felt someone joining them.

“Maria, hi,” he said with a nod and a warm smile at the High Priestess. “I’ll leave you two to it, you know where I am if you have any problems before classes start,” he added, directing the final comment towards Sam, before he took his leave with a nod at the two ladies.

He headed back into the corridors, pausing to chat to people who had questions or comments (no criticisms yet…).

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2019, 12:39:55 AM »
Kerr had the grace to look contrite in the face of Digital's scolding, allowing his arm to be released smoothly. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disrespect you," he said sincerely, briefly bowing towards Digital before he backed away, leaving Sam to talk to him alone. When he straightened he noticed Ben talking to Astrid nearby so he ambled over to stand beside him, gently placing his hand in the small of Ben's back to let him know he was there.

~*~

Samuel's eyes widened as he was told the baby dragons had a mother in Chinatown - as casually as if he was being told what the weather was like. Even though Kerr had warned him against taking the goggled vampire literally, Sam believed him. Perhaps there were spies or something amongst them?

Digital disengaged crankily from Kerr but smiled brilliantly at him. Sam was struck by the effect, finding his eyes almost hypnotic in their yellowy haze. He was fairly good looking, large and strong. Sam wasn't sure it was appropriate to think such things about a future co-worker, especially since it flavoured his interpretation of Digital's next words. Was the innuendo real or imagined? Was he implying the kind of fun Sam thought he was, or was it strictly business? He wasn't sure how 'more oh my god' could related to the database, really... new discoveries, perhaps?

"Um... okay, yes, sure!" he agreed, smiling back. He hadn't decided which it was but thought it best to just agree. The odds that a man he'd just met was offering him sex had to be highly unlikely. He was just imagining things. "Will you be there tomorrow night when I come in to meet with Ben? We can work out a little more about how we'll be working together." His smile only became friendlier.

~*~

Owen kept going with his rounds, walking into rooms and smiling at anyone inside, engaging in conversation where necessary. Eventually, he came to a closed door. Frowning, he tried to open it and met resistance. He knocked with one hand while the other reached for his keys to be sure it wasn't locked.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2019, 05:57:51 AM »
As the students pass by in the hall, some giving his course a look over, he seemed to put on a bit of a facade. He had placed his Phone on Vibrate so he could still feel getting a message but it wouldn't call attention to itself if he was actively talking to someone. While talking to an interested student, he did feel it vibrate, he felt his heart beat go a bit faster in excitement. When he was done talking to a particular group of students, he checked his phone, putting in a single headphone and listening. It was from Hofflan, and he was immediately disappointed. 'Who are you waiting on?' was all it said and he debated the pros and cons of destroying his phone over that, but ultimately didn't. He didn't respond to Hofflan and just removed the earpiece and sat back down at the table.

He kept this thought output in Japanese so Hofflan couldn't understand him. He knew that Hofflan didn't know that language but seemed to know most of the other languages he did know. He was hoping Sam was just busy and not purposefully ignoring him, but at the same time, could understand why someone would purposefully ignore him. 'With the amount of emotional baggage I carry, who would even want to know me anyway? I'm not really even in a good mood right now, is it actually worth anyones time to hang out with me right now?' He sighed as he thought to himself. 'Maybe it's best if I leave soonish. I don't want to not recruit students, but it's clear I'm not quite doing well being here. It hasn't helped that I haven't heard back from Sam yet, but honestly it hasn't even been that long, I just probably need to be paitent. Whats wrong with me? Why do I feel like this over a text from a man I've only met once? I don't feel this way with Drew, I don't feel this way about anyone I've fucked before, why is Sam any different?' He seemed to have a bit of a down moment while he thought to himself, and it was making him feel a little stir crazy inside of his own mind.

'If you don't slow down your thoughts, you're going to make me have to learn a new language.' Hofflan responded to him mentally. Dreki just shook his head and stopped and looked forward, waiting for someone to reach his table again so he could better explain his class and convince them to join up. Or even to just have someone to talk to for a bit so he could get out of his own thoughts a bit easier.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2019, 08:43:11 AM »
James wasn't thinking about whether or not he should pursue this thing with Kerr. Far more interesting was whether Cain wanted him to pursue it. The temptation to read his mind became stronger and stronger, and his eyes seemed to shine in the fluorescent lighting of the room beneath his glasses. He saw a masquerade, and a monkey running around the room as various people tried to catch him. Jake McCloud was there, and so was Barrow's fellow teacher, Damien Evans. The monkey kept escaping the two men's grasp as a third vampire James didn't know finally caught the drunk chimp. This one had dollar signs for eyes. Nowhere did he see Cain though, and without the context to understand the vision he had no way to know the human's motivations. He liked not knowing, and so chose his next words carefully.

"Well, if it was meant to happen, he'll stumble on in. If not, I get you all to myself." He formed a wry smirk and wrapped his arms around Cain's muscular back, and went to resume their snogging. He was helping Cain to forget about a man who clearly didn't want him. James wanted him though, and he'd kiss Kerr right out of his head and place himself there instead.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.