Author Topic: Just your average, (super)ordinary Wednesday night.  (Read 210 times)

Offline Billiam

• Novelist
  • Anarch
    • View Profile
Re: Just your average, (super)ordinary Wednesday night.
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 05:26:08 PM »
The Harpy gigged affectionately at Theo's word vomit. It was a lot to drop all at once, and they were taking it better than they could've been. She waited until Theo was done reacting, following each step in the process. The Harpy played innocent but was really very measured, and she knew how to study someone she was interviewing. Auspex or not, she was a surprisingly good investigator. The first question made sense, and she simply answered, "couple thousand, give or take. I didn't do the last census. That's the Keeper's job."

She smiled wickedly at not explaining who the Keeper was. Maybe she'd get another big reaction! She could hope.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Leader(Jake)~ Seneschal(Lisa-Joe)~ Two-Face(James)~ Saint(Tyler)~ Lillith(Thesdea)~ PrivateEye(Drew)~ Golconda(Flick)~ Huntsman(Ari)~ Slayer(Lacy)~ Comrade(Benny)~

Offline ChordTerias

• Wordsmith
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 05:50:42 AM »
"Thousand." Theo turned the word over in their mouth a few times. Felt the weight of it.

This is exactly what they longed for when they decided to move to the city. Find a space dead in the center of it all. Hope to encounter some small coven or group. Make connections. Grow their magic.

The energy within their blood crackled -- their idea shifting from a mere handful to a couple thousand supernatural beings around them -- and clearly several that were not only open to the idea of collaboration, but actively friendly. And oh, how Theo wanted to ask a million and more things, especially at the mystery behind the keeper. WHAT DO THEY KEEP. Theo stuck with bouncing a few more times rapidly on their seat, before saying, "That's so many more than I expected! Uhm, but please, do continue! You said information first, so I imagine you're here to explain rules or see if I'm a threat to the peace."

Theo's eyes quickly widened as they continued, all in one breath, "Which-I-am-clearly-not, I-mean-the-worst-thing-I-do-is-experiment-with-drinks-but-that's-usually-not-magical-in-and-of-itself, so-I-wouldn't-need-to-be-kicked-out-of-the-city-of-anything-because-I-wouldn't-tell-the-ignorant-anything." They made an exaggerated "zip lips" motion with their hands, tossing an imaginary key over their shoulder.

Offline Billiam

• Novelist
  • Anarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 03:26:59 AM »
The Harpy giggled again, placing her hand on one of Theo's. "Sugah, if I thought you were a threat we'd be having a very different chat. She said it like she was telling Theo a secret, and was all smiles. However, there was a sharpness behind her eyes, a certain predatory instinct that was visible beneath the pretty exterior. Had she said it to reassure them, or intimidate them? The answer was both. Lisa-Joe knew people were better as friends than enemies, but it never hurt to let the person know who was getting the carrot, that the stick was just around the corner if needed. It was only a moment and then it was gone. She returned to her bubbles and smiles.

"Our domain has a set of laws that help keep the piece and protect the people who live here. You will have a list provided to you. Most importantly, more any others, you must keep your nature a secret from ignorant humans. Your bar tending is fine as mortals can dismiss it as a trick or an illusion. However, grander displays, if you're capable of such, should be kept to a minimum. This is to keep us all safe. The other laws are fairly standard. Don't kill, don't rape, if you reproduce let us know, and if we are investigating a matter and need your cooperation please give it freely. Our headquarters is a bar called the White Rabbit. It's just a few blocks from here. It's a different vibe from this place; a lot more leather and a lot louder. Come say hello and meet the rest of the team soon."

She folded her hands in front of her again, looking as demure as possible. "Any questions?" She expected a ton.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Leader(Jake)~ Seneschal(Lisa-Joe)~ Two-Face(James)~ Saint(Tyler)~ Lillith(Thesdea)~ PrivateEye(Drew)~ Golconda(Flick)~ Huntsman(Ari)~ Slayer(Lacy)~ Comrade(Benny)~