Author Topic: Just your average, (super)ordinary Wednesday night.  (Read 11271 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Just your average, (super)ordinary Wednesday night.
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 05:26:08 PM »
The Harpy gigged affectionately at Theo's word vomit. It was a lot to drop all at once, and they were taking it better than they could've been. She waited until Theo was done reacting, following each step in the process. The Harpy played innocent but was really very measured, and she knew how to study someone she was interviewing. Auspex or not, she was a surprisingly good investigator. The first question made sense, and she simply answered, "couple thousand, give or take. I didn't do the last census. That's the Keeper's job."

She smiled wickedly at not explaining who the Keeper was. Maybe she'd get another big reaction! She could hope.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 05:50:42 AM »
"Thousand." Theo turned the word over in their mouth a few times. Felt the weight of it.

This is exactly what they longed for when they decided to move to the city. Find a space dead in the center of it all. Hope to encounter some small coven or group. Make connections. Grow their magic.

The energy within their blood crackled -- their idea shifting from a mere handful to a couple thousand supernatural beings around them -- and clearly several that were not only open to the idea of collaboration, but actively friendly. And oh, how Theo wanted to ask a million and more things, especially at the mystery behind the keeper. WHAT DO THEY KEEP. Theo stuck with bouncing a few more times rapidly on their seat, before saying, "That's so many more than I expected! Uhm, but please, do continue! You said information first, so I imagine you're here to explain rules or see if I'm a threat to the peace."

Theo's eyes quickly widened as they continued, all in one breath, "Which-I-am-clearly-not, I-mean-the-worst-thing-I-do-is-experiment-with-drinks-but-that's-usually-not-magical-in-and-of-itself, so-I-wouldn't-need-to-be-kicked-out-of-the-city-of-anything-because-I-wouldn't-tell-the-ignorant-anything." They made an exaggerated "zip lips" motion with their hands, tossing an imaginary key over their shoulder.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 03:26:59 AM »
The Harpy giggled again, placing her hand on one of Theo's. "Sugah, if I thought you were a threat we'd be having a very different chat. She said it like she was telling Theo a secret, and was all smiles. However, there was a sharpness behind her eyes, a certain predatory instinct that was visible beneath the pretty exterior. Had she said it to reassure them, or intimidate them? The answer was both. Lisa-Joe knew people were better as friends than enemies, but it never hurt to let the person know who was getting the carrot, that the stick was just around the corner if needed. It was only a moment and then it was gone. She returned to her bubbles and smiles.

"Our domain has a set of laws that help keep the piece and protect the people who live here. You will have a list provided to you. Most importantly, more any others, you must keep your nature a secret from ignorant humans. Your bar tending is fine as mortals can dismiss it as a trick or an illusion. However, grander displays, if you're capable of such, should be kept to a minimum. This is to keep us all safe. The other laws are fairly standard. Don't kill, don't rape, if you reproduce let us know, and if we are investigating a matter and need your cooperation please give it freely. Our headquarters is a bar called the White Rabbit. It's just a few blocks from here. It's a different vibe from this place; a lot more leather and a lot louder. Come say hello and meet the rest of the team soon."

She folded her hands in front of her again, looking as demure as possible. "Any questions?" She expected a ton.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2019, 11:42:56 AM »
"Good!" Theo smiled as they joined hands with Lisa-Joe. Their volume raised as their excitement grew. "Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect coming to the city. Was kinda prepared for being caught in a back alley and having to rough someone up!" They laughed as they put a hand to their bicep -- a voice coming from the stockroom, "Don't you mean get roughed up?" Rohan raised his volume so that he could be heard through the open door. Theo blew a silent raspberry in the door's direction for Lisa-Joe to witness and grinned once more with a shrug.

"I'm really glad that the 'welcome wagon,'" Theo threw up air quotes around the phrase, "is -- in fact -- welcoming. I'll definitely have to drop by the White Rabbit sometime soon!"

At the offer of questions, Theo's head whirred to life once again. They had so many! But they shouldn't overwhelm or annoy Lisa-Joe, she kinda seemed like the type whose "bad side" was not a side Theo wanted to witness. Let's start with something else that's basic and move on from ther--

An image flashed before their eyes. The memory from earlier that night, the Judgement being dealt to Lisa-Joe as a smug smile spread across her face, brought itself to the forefront of their conscious.

"Do you remember your parents?"

A moment of silence hung as Theo's jaw went slack. Tension manifested within their shoulder blades and brow, their eyes went wide, and their voice returned with a stammer.

"I-I am... I am so sorry, I was just trying to think of a question..." their voice was low as they shot a look sideways towards the door that separated them from Rohan. Their words were not all in one breath as before, but rapidly increasing in speed as they spoke. Their hands shook ever-so-slightly. "... and I was going to ask about something else but the card popped back in my head and before I knew it that question just popped out."

Theo hung their head, and one thing was clear. These were not the reactions of someone who is used to the concept of forgiveness -- no matter how small the slight.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 04:19:36 PM »
Lisa-Joe liked Theo's energy, feeling it was too big for the small world of their bar.Things would have to be done to tell others of such a person, and she made note to spread gossip about An Tsi. She'd make sure the right Anarch's heard about it. Theo would get some new business, and the Harpy would have eyes on her favorite new resident. She found the touch strangely welcome, and smiled back almost meekly. However, all of that went away when Theo asked their question. She was more puzzled than anything else, and wondered if this was some sort of magic. Why had Theo asked this? The apology that followed wasn't needed, but added further to the curiosity. Despite a lack of offense, the Harpy didn't enjoy thinking about her origins. There was only misery there.

"Don't worry about it," she advised, giving Theo's hand a squeeze. "I never knew them. I don't know them now, and I don't think I ever will. Whether they were noble men and women, gutter trash or something else entirely, it's not important to me."

Lisa-Joe knew this was Theo's time to ask questions, but she couldn't help herself. "What does judgement have to do with my parents?  I thought it spoke to my position."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 11:31:53 AM »
"Ah!" Theo exclaimed, reaching their hand out as if to grab something from the empty air.

The vines from behind the bar sprung to life, growing outward and reaching under the bar. The bag containing the tarot cards was shifted along their verdant limbs and came to rest in Theo's outstretched hand. Without shuffling, they turned Judgement face up on the table.

"You see, Judgement is one of the most often misunderstood tarot cards, much like Death." Theo ran their finger along the edge of the card, and the picture sprung to life. "Judgement tells the story of the Archangel Gabriel coming to earth to collect the dead and usher them to face their fate." Sure enough, the trumpets on the card blew, and the angel in its center raised its sword and pointed it towards its viewers as it faded into the background.

"So similarly, you having been dealt the card signifies someone approaching you and putting you into a situation where a tough decision must be made -- that will lead you to some form of absolution or lead you to fall from grave." A figure walks into frame. While it is blurred beyond recognition, there is something chillingly familiar about it. A path splits before it, until the card fades again and appears as it did at the start.

"Oftentimes, when the card is drawn for a supernatural person, the whole 'rising from the dead' thing can be... quite literal, in one way or another." An involuntary shudder ran up Theo's spine, speaking to their experience with a shake of their head. "So, if you put any stock in destiny or fate, when a big decision sits in front of you, brought to you by messenger, the spirits are advising you to take the path that you judge to be 'right,' because ignoring the call to action will only put off the inevitable." Theo regarded Lisa-Joe with a tilt of their head.

"You strike me as the type who is wise enough to know what to do, so I don't figure it'll be too hard of a test for you." Their smile was warm, a fragment of the light behind their eyes returning as the pair spoke.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 12:13:35 PM »
Lisa-Joe was wary of the reading, not liking the implications it placed before her. She never knew if what seers had to offer was worth the existential headache of thinking about it, and this one would have her in a tizzy for days. She was thankful for the information on one level, but more wary of Theo on another. She had no similar gift to offer, but decided to do her best to repay the debt.

"Come be my guest of honor the next time I hold court. You can see a bit how the government around here operates. It will also hopefully answer any questions you might have. Thank you for the reading, but it is close to sunrise, and my kind is not fit for day."

She stood, extending a well painted set of nails. "Pleasure," she said, offering a squeeze of her hand as a polite form of parting.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 08:48:14 AM »
Theo blanched as they heard "court," but almost within the same instant their entire face lit up. "Court?! Yes, please!" Theo crossed their legs once again, beaming as their hands grasped the intersection of their ankles. "Oh, Ms. Lisa-Joe you've absolutely made my year. Please do come back anytime, not only when there's work to be done." They grinned before adding, "As long as you'll be up for a couple more questions."

Theo rose from the table, giving a strange combination of a bow and a curtsey as Lisa-Joe began to make for the exit.

Almost as an after-thought, Theo put a finger in the air. "Oh!" They reached out, and the vine produced a beautiful purple flower with ovoid red berries. "The plants that I grow have a tendency to take their name literally, and since I doubt the poison would affect you much, please take this nightshade with you as thanks for the warm welcome. It'll preserve well if pressed, so keep it on you in some form in case of emergency." They procured small plastic bag -- not unlike that which are usually used to launder much more illicit plants -- and pressed the nightshade into Lisa-Joe's palm.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 08:39:53 AM »
Lisa-Joe was delighted by the curtsy-bow combination and did her best to match it. it looked clumsier than Theo's but still graceful and polished by comparison to most. She nodded at the request foe her return, adding, "I'll be sure to do that," and then headed for the exit. She had much to tell Jake about this place, and that this Theo was a player in town. Whether or not they knew it, Lisa did. She saw An Tsi growing in reputation and the Harpy began to scheme how to get Theo on their side, as opposed to Ben's.

She was so wrapped up in her political manipulations that she was a bit surprised that Theo called after her. She took the gift of nightshade respectively, and darkly wondered how some of it could find it's way into Zeus's tea. She wouldn't really waste such a nice gift on something so dark, but it was fun to dream.

"Thank you," she replied, hating that she had no gift to match. With a final nod of her head, she headed out into waning night. There wasn't much time till daylight. She finally was able to smoke and did so as she traced her path home to the White Rabbit.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.