Author Topic: First-Time Outing  (Read 122 times)

Offline pentagrandma

• Contributor
    • View Profile
First-Time Outing
« on: May 09, 2019, 03:42:16 PM »
Aislin pushed past the double-doors and into the pool hall with a measure of faux bravado. It was a Saturday night, and she had overdressed for the seedy establishment, sheathed as she was in a velvet mock-neck romper that glittered like an imitation galaxy; it was paired with a black patent moto jacket and retro go-go booties to match. She’d spent the last several days rationalizing her own self-imprisonment, wallowing in self-pity inside her shitty one-room apartment. But she’d had enough, and needed an excuse - any excuse - to feel good about herself. To go out and experience this new life of hers; this city. She'd just barely missed registration for spring quarter at the art institute, but she could still go out and do things. Besides, how could she feel bad about having no friends if she never made an effort to find any? … Not that this is the ideal place to do it, she concluded after perfunctory inspection.

Still, she made her way toward the bar - picking out a random stool and stepping up to seat herself upon its dingy cushion. “I promise I’m of age,” she said, casting a winning smile toward the bartender as metallic-blue polished fingertips probed into a jacket pocket to obtain identification. It was from out of state, and she prayed he wouldn’t believe it fake; but was pleasantly surprised when he spared it only the briefest of glances, and asked her what she’d have. “Vodka tonic,” she replied, paying cash and leaving a generous tip. Server habits die hard, even when funds are low.

With drink in hand, she swiveled in her stool to face the tables and their corresponding players. Being there made her homesick; the mingling scents of old, spilt beer and stale cigarette smoke; the clack of pool cues against balls, and the crash that usually followed; even the jukebox in the corner served as reminder. Everything the same, but so very different. There wasn’t much to do by way of recreation in her small hometown, but pool and alcohol… those, they had.

She sipped from her drink and resisted the urge to scroll through her phone. Appearing unapproachable would get her nowhere, even if she were the one to do the approaching. Instead, she scanned the crowd - in search of a friendly face... Or an intriguing one.
[INFUSCO:]  Aislin Delaney

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: First-Time Outing
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 12:23:45 AM »
(ooc: This is not necessarily the best fit, character wise, but my character loves this setting and I can't bear to let such a lovely opener remain idle any longer! ;D)

Dominic didn't notice the stylish newcomer until he decided he wanted another beer. He spotted her as he headed towards the bar. She looked cool and collected but altogether too fancy for this place. Perhaps this was just a convenient meeting point; that made sense. She seemed to be looking around, though it felt more like she was eyeing off the competition more than searching for a familiar face. He looked respectable in his dark bootcut jeans, maroon longline T-shirt with a curved hem and crew neck and brown boots (clean, suede ones, rather than his work boots) but he had nothing on her.

As he walked up to lean on the bar beside her, he smiled so his dimples showed, deciding to take a risk. "Hey there. You looking for a game?" he enquired, turning away briefly to order his beer as the tender came up to him. Once he'd finished speaking, he returned his gaze to the impeccably-dressed woman, fishing his wallet out of his back pocket. The chunky silver chain and cross nestled between his solid pectorals glinted in the light with his every movement.

He'd already begun to think of the woman as a princess, doubting she'd actually come here to play. A woman like her would surely have far more interesting prey to hunt than a lonely guy monopolising a pool table by himself on a Saturday night. "I have a table. Or are you waiting for someone?" he added, supplying her with an easy out if she wasn't interested in some pool and a friendly chat.

Offline pentagrandma

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 04:47:06 PM »
Internally agonizing the thought of asserting herself into an already-established clique, Ash had nearly relented. Particularly, she’d begun to fear disapproval based on her excessive state of dress - be it spoken, or otherwise. She should have worn something more casual, to fit in. That was why she was here, wasn’t it? To belong somewhere? … Just as she lifted her glass to her lips in a bid to reaffirm her courage, her attention landed upon the approaching man. He was attractive in a sort of way that wasn’t seen in her hometown - and she considered him well-dressed, even if he wasn’t as spruced as she.

She couldn’t help but to meet his smile with one of her own. She’d always found dimples pleasing, and often wished she’d had a pair - if only so she could charm others in the same way that she felt charmed by them. “I guess I am,” she answered, aiming to curb the relief that threatened to flood her tone, as she angled herself in her stool for better viewing.

Her focus fell upon the cross lauding the man’s pectorals while he turned momentarily away. Gaudy, she thought, making a compulsory effort to lift her gaze anew - lest she admire the surrounding assets at impolite length. “I’m not waiting for anyone,” she further divulged, punctuating her words with an easy shrug. After a brief pause, she added, “But I’m not very good at pool. If you don’t mind that, then I’m game.” It wasn’t a complete lie; she wasn’t an ace, by any means, but she certainly wasn’t bad, either.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 07:35:14 PM »
Dominic laughed good-naturedly, wondering if she was telling the truth. He'd been sharked by princesses before. And princes, for that matter. He'd play conservatively until he figured out how much effort he'd need to apply to win - but win, he would.

"That's cool. I'm no expert myself. I'm Dom," he introduced, organising his beer into the hand still holding his cue so that he could hold his left hand out towards her to shake.

"I'll head back to the table. You might wanna' collect yourself a cue on the way," he advised, gesturing at the racks spaced out on the walls surrounding the pool hall. His table was in a good position near the wall but there weren't any cues in the rack nearest. There wasn't a grand selection available, given that the place was relatively busy, but she still had choices... he hoped that at least one of them matched her height.

Offline pentagrandma

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 02:09:59 PM »
Aislin stepped down from her stool to slip her hand into his, and subject it to an affable squeeze. Even with the additional inches provided by her boots, Dom was far loftier than she. “Ash,” she responded in kind, reclaiming her hand thereafter.

… “Right,” she acknowledged in the wake of his advice; the single word carried out upon a small laugh of her own. She fell into stride at his back as he made his way toward the table - lagging further behind in her scrutiny of the available cues. Pausing along the wall, whereupon one such cue-rack had not yet been excessively culled, she trailed her blue-painted fingertips overtop her selection. She drank thoughtfully from her beverage as she considered her options, supposing that she didn’t have much room to be picky - and if she were, well… that would contradict her previously-declared amateur state, wouldn’t it?

A glance was afforded toward her newfound companion - both so that she wouldn’t lose sight of him, as well as to determine whether or not she was being watched. She decided that she didn’t care, returning her focus to the task at hand. With the occasional, off-hand sip from her glass, she withdrew two cues in turn. With each, she examined their length, testing their weight within her palm; with one, she went so far as to lift the butt to eye-level, and peer down its length. Good enough, she determined, before winding her way toward the table with a cheeky smile - cue in hand.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:51:05 PM »
By the time Ash got back to the table, Dom had racked the balls and hung the triangle on its hook on the side of the table. He greeted her with a reciprocal smile, encouraged by her happy face.

"You look pleased with yourself," he observed, wondering how the process of choosing a cue had resulted in her looking like the cat that got the cream. "You come here often?" he asked, suspecting that her grin was connected to some sort of joke she was playing on him. He then laughed as his question registered, swiping his hands - still loaded up with his cue and beer bottle respectively - between them in a negating gesture.

"Shit, I didn't mean that the way it sounded!" he declared, eyes wide and dancing with mirth (there may even have been a blush of pink, tinging his cheeks with embarrassment).

Offline pentagrandma

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 02:25:24 PM »
Dom’s accidental line, in addition to his placating gesticulation, earned a merry bout of laughter - breezy and unruffled. “It’s fine,” Ash offered in her own attempt to mollify. “The answer is no,” she continued on, a trace of humor sparked within her own gaze, and likewise coloring her tone. “I’ve never been here; this is my first time. I’ve actually just moved. You’re the first person I’ve met, aside from my landlord.”

Maintaining an instinctive measure of eye-contact as she spoke, Ash noted the striking color of Dom’s eyes. She’d seen they were light before, sure, but she hadn’t really looked; hadn’t noticed how vivid they were, or how expressive; hadn’t observed how well they contrasted with his skin tone, or their thick outlining of lashes. It should be a punishable crime for a man to have lashes that long and pretty. Unfair.

… “Loser buys the winner a drink?” She proposed, sipping from the one in her possession as though in punctuation. It was almost gone, but that was fine; she’d always played a little better with a light buzz. Not that one drink was enough to get her there. She didn't much mind losing, either.