Author Topic: First-Time Outing  (Read 25310 times)

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: First-Time Outing
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »
Ash returned Jimmy’s smile; he really wasn’t so bad. “I guess so,” she replied, moving to retrieve the white ball and place it back upon the felted table; having the advantage of choosing its placement secured her first shot. As she circled the table to consider her next, she decided it was too quiet. Not quiet in the sense that there weren’t any sounds - there was plenty of chatter and buzz around them - rather, she felt that they should be having some other form of exchange. More discussion beyond the repeated passing on of turns.

“You’re a doctor?” She supplied by way of conversation-starter. A brief glance was directed toward Dominic - both in indication of where she’d heard it, and a friendly reminder that she hadn’t forgotten he was there. Some kind of head doctor, he’d said. She couldn’t help but to puzzle over what that might entail, and whether or not his psychic abilities played any part in his work.

While she awaited his response, she leant down to make her next play. Her angle was just off, and she missed. Too bad.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2019, 11:52:11 PM »
Jimmy watched Ash continue to lead the game, and decided that wouldn't do at all. He scanned the board and determined a good shot existed near the left corner pocket. As Ash asked about James's profession, Jimmy sunk his first shot with ease. He looked up to meet her gaze, and turned his gaze to the sexy man keeping them company. Dom had chatted about him quite a bit it seemed. Well, how sweet. He looked grumpy at being referred to as a doctor. His wry smirk turned downwards, and he returned his eyes to the table as he answered.

"Sometimes," he answered rather cryptically. "Tonight I'm just Jimmy, but yes sometimes I'm Dr. James Barrow, clinical psychologist."

His tone mocked his professional name, and he said it in a fo-posh dialect, over the top and queenly. He landed another solid, and just like that he'd taken the lead. His smile returned.

"And you, what task do you exchange for money? Dom you too. What is it you do?"
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2019, 09:45:23 AM »
The sarcastic lilt of Jimmy’s response did not go unnoticed by Aislin. It wasn’t uncommon for folks to dislike their jobs, and she imagined his to be pretty mentally taxing. She couldn’t fathom having to help someone else sort out their thoughts and issues; she had trouble enough doing that for herself. It was good, she decided, that Jimmy had made time for himself - and she resolved not to ask him about work again.

“I haven’t even started to look for a job yet,” she replied with an easy roll of her shoulders. “I’ve got decent enough chunk of change saved from working back home. It should last a few months, if I’m careful with it. I figure I’ll find a part-time position in the service industry once school starts, and use the free time I have now to get familiar with the city.” With a smile, she looked toward Dom for his answer.

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2019, 05:28:30 PM »
Dominic was drinking when the question about his work was asked and he'd had enough now that it was definitely going to his head, making everything in the room a little shinier. Especially Jimmy. Ash answered first and he found he had to concentrate to process her words; the beer was making them quite slippery and muddly because she used so damn many of them to get her point across. She didn't have a job. She was living off her savings. Right. Risky. He didn't voice his opinion, he just answered for himself.

"I'm an owner operator of a landscaping business - All About Gardens," he told Jimmy, including Ash in his answer because it was very easy to slide his gaze her way. Outwardly, he knew he wouldn't appear drunk, no slurring of his words or physical stumbling but, inwardly, he was cresting that nice precipice where everything was starting to feel easy and liquid. The place where bad decisions became so easy to make. He smiled at them both, all dimples and relaxation, his left arm folded across his body with his hand tucked in his armpit, his right resting on it, holding his beer.

"I design, install, renovate, even do a bit of plumbing when called for. It's a lot of hard work, outdoors most of the time, very physical. But I'm great with my hands," he announced proudly, his eyebrows flickering as he looked slyly at Jimmy.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2019, 03:28:55 PM »
"How butch," Jimmy teased, giving Dom a smirk, and licking his lips for no apparent reason. He turned to Ash, digging her whole I'm trying to find myself vibe. It was very Stevie Nicks in a way, and he thought, who doesn't like Stevie Nicks? He walked up to her, flashing the same smirk he'd worn all night.

"What are your qualifications," he asked, his voice now that of a member of the British Parliament. After his two tongue and check replies, he felt sufficiently annoying, and moved back to the table and the game! They were getting down to the wire, and Jimmy went for one of his remaining solids. With a zing,  it went into the pocket. His lead had grown, but he didn't put it away, scratching again on another failed trick shot. He cursed under his breath and switched sticks.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2019, 11:29:11 AM »
All About Gardens. Not the cleverest of names, but it got the point across well enough. Nevertheless, landscaping was an art - and Ash had a great appreciation for all things artistic. Politely, she adverted her gaze from the two men's brief little exchange of coquetry; twisting a small, humored smile. Jimmy would likely score a date, regardless of whether or not he won their match.

When he stopped in front of her, and asked about her qualifications, Aislin laughed. “I haven’t got many,” she admitted with a shrug. “I spent three years serving at a diner; I’m great with customers, am very good at balancing things on trays, and can make a mean milkshake. I’m also confident enough in my ability to draw that I aim to eventually make a career out of it.” She watched as he returned to the table, convinced that he’d finish it off. Her brows lofted after his second botched trick-shot. No way she’d have taken that risk on the eight, not with a win so close to guaranteed. There were three balls left on the table now; the eight, and her remaining two stripes. They were closer together than she’d have liked, but she could probably still end the game here, if she were careful. If she wanted. Did she want? Jimmy was smug - it would feel good to best him - but she also felt some weird inclination to act as wingman.

Her lips pursed thoughtfully as she stepped into position before the table. She lifted the little cube of chalk, recoating the tip of her cue in an act of tarrying. To try, or not to try? … Try, she finally decided - leaning forward, in time with a slow exhalation, to prepare for her first shot. There was no fun in letting someone else win. Besides, she somehow doubted he’d have willingly done the same for her.

It was only that initial shot that was difficult; finding a way to break apart those two without knocking in the eight before she was ready. Still - after further time spent in deliberation, and a few experimental thrusts of her cue - she managed. From there, it should have been easy. There were only two balls left on the table, and they were nowhere near one another. Any one of six pockets would do. Her second stripe was sunk without effort.

Rather than making a move toward her third, and final, shot - she straightened up, casting a cocksure grin toward her opponent. Again, her brows raised fractionally; a look that amply conveyed, hope you’re ready to lose.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2019, 07:47:33 PM »
"I love drawing! I draw all the time, too!" Dom blurted out to no-one in particular.

The tension of the game almost finishing was getting to him and he'd been holding onto the comment since Ash had mentioned she wanted to be a full-time artist - it was going around and around and around inside his head.

He hadn't wanted to interrupt her concentration but, since she'd paused, he couldn't hold it in any longer. Sighing with relief, he went back to drinking his beer and watching.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2019, 11:54:14 AM »
Jimmy looked cool and confident, and gave Ash a devilish grin. He leaned his hands down onto the table, twisting his head slightly to the side, and blinking rapidly. He suddenly stood up straight and raised his right index finger towards the eight ball.

"Here's a riddle," he posed. "As Dom told told you, I can see the future. I know who wins the game, and I know I get everything I want in the end. Who wins?"

He looked at Dom, and put his finger over his lips, whispering, "don't help her!"
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2019, 12:45:18 PM »
Dom’s cute little outburst prompted a snort of laughter. Aislin’s smile remained, shaped more by humor now than overconfidence. With brows inquisitively lofted, she returned her focus to Jimmy as he presented his riddle. “This feels like a trick,” she said, thoughtfully narrowing her gaze and pursing her lips as she closed her hands over the tip of her cue; and perched her chin atop her knuckles thereafter. She wanted to say that she would win, but no - that seemed too obvious.

… “I suppose,” she began, slow and speculative, “That if you get everything you want in the end, regardless of whether or not I make this shot, you’re the winner.” She smiled anew, then asked, “Right?”

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2019, 04:59:39 PM »
Jimmy smiled proudly, his riddle being a clever distraction from the game. He pointed to the eight ball and then her cue.

"Take your shot and find out," he threw back, smiling.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2019, 09:40:37 AM »
With a good-humored roll of her eyes, Ash lifted from her post and reaffirmed her grip on her cue. Little forethought was spared as she leant forward to take her final shot. She had this in the bag - or, so she thought, with only one ball remaining.

Perhaps it was greed - or just some good, old-fashioned enthusiasm - but too much force was used. Though the eight was successfully pocketed; so, too, was the cue ball. A foul.

… “Well, fuck,” she said as she rose. “I guess you really did win.” The words were punctuated with a breezy little laugh.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2019, 06:27:49 AM »
Jimmy bowed respectfully at his opponent, but his sinister grin let both of the humans near him know that he was pleased. He hadn't seen anything about the future in regards to the game. He never had known who would win or why. All he'd wanted was to make Ash doubt herself in the exact moment when she needed to be most in control, and her scratch at the end had proven he'd done just enough. He considered she might've missed regardless, but now the vision and result fit neatly together. He patted himself on the metaphorical back.

"Good game. You solved the riddle," he offered, before heading over to Dom and, without permission, sat on his lap, wrapping his legs with the gardener's and looking into his big eyes.

"Guess that means you owe me a date," he said, his tone playful, seductive, and with just a touch of dominance. He turned his body towards Ash, keeping his bum clearly pressed on Dom's lap. He wasn't quite done with this one yet.

"However, don't say I'm not a good sport! I will still give you three questions! Use them wisely," he offered. She could refuse him of course, but what fun was there in that? Besides, humans were a curious bunch.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2019, 12:34:10 AM »
Dominic had found the intrigue of the game's conclusion riveting - to the point where he'd finished his beer, put the empty bottle aside and begun gnawing on his thumbnail, his gaze flicking back and forth between the two opponents facing off in front of him. Ash's disappointing snatch of defeat from the arms of victory had him laughing, starting to cheer and then giving a heartfelt, "Ohhhhh!" in the space of a breath.

He was sharing a consolation pout with her when he scored a new vampire lap decoration, much to his surprise. He grinned and exhaled a breathy laugh when told he owed Jimmy a date. The tone it was delivered in meant that he didn't consider arguing, he simply settled his hands on Jimmy's hips in order to better secure him in his lap. Dom also swallowed when the vampire squirmed around into a different position, debating whether he knew about the pressure his fine English ass was putting on his cock.

If he didn't, he was going to know very soon, if he kept moving around the way he was. Dom didn't know of actual psychic vampire powers - he'd only made up his lie to cover up the fact that a complete stranger might be able to read things from Ash's mind - so he was rather confused by the offer of three questions. He wouldn't say anything, though. He was too busy trying to think of anything but how nice it would be if Jimmy turned, straddled him and sucked on his neck while Dom fucked him.

Don't think about that. Think about something else!
But what?
Anything!

He whimpered a little as Jimmy shifted again, hanging onto him grimly.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2019, 01:17:01 PM »
Ash strode toward the wall, lifting her cue up to return it to the rack. Her brows rose marginally as Jimmy offered to answer three questions in spite of her loss. Well, that was nice. She still didn’t want them - but it was nice, all the same. She reclaimed her drink from the windowsill, now watered down with molten ice, and moved to lean against the game-table and sip from it thoughtfully. It would be rude, she reasoned, to decline when he was being so charitable... “I can ask anything?” She finally inquired - wondering, in part, if he’d count that question against her three.

Her focus remained studiously on Jimmy’s face; unable to help the feeling that she was bearing witness to something that should have been kept private. Not that she was judging! It was her own awkwardness that made it any bit uncomfortable. Thankfully, the din of the pool hall spared her from having to acknowledge Dom’s tiny whimper.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2019, 02:38:03 PM »
Jimmy laughed brightly, and his eyes seemed to twinkle like they'd been hit directly with the sun. He changed somewhat as he massaged Dom's crotch with his rear, more than pleased with what he felt stirring beneath him. His whole demeanor relaxed and he stared at Ash intently, like he was looking into something just past her eyes. After a few moments he blinked, and then drew his head back. He whispered so soft that not even Dom could make out the exact words. He seemed to get a reply nodding his head with fervor.

"Anything can be asked, but not all things can be found," he said in an almost sing-song style of speaking. "When one doesn't already know the questions to ask it's normally fear of the unknown, or a lack of vision. I see a path for you that lacks direction, full of unknown purpose, and the danger of moving from one experience to the next, without investment or substance. To be a player in other people's stories is to lack a meaning of your own, and without meaning, well.... perhaps that's enough for one question."

While he was calm and still in a good mood, this was the most serious he'd seemed all night. There was a level of focus that was knew, despite the cryptic nature of his vision and advice.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.