Author Topic: Hamlet Meets Macbeth  (Read 7272 times)

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
Re: Hamlet Meets Macbeth
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 12:39:59 PM »
Damien stared at McCloud for a long moment, the same hardness in his eyes, jaw set rigid. He did nothing, that mask set in stone on his face. His thoughts churned and his emotions raged thinking of Rachel and her suffering, her daily inability to leave the house safely, the constant fear. Now he knew that McCloud would not help. He knew he should have expected such a thing but he had banked mistakenly on McCloud's rashness. Damien swore to himself.

He sat there and thought, unconsciously rubbing his hands together, palms sliding over each other back and forth with his elbows on his knees. The temptation to argue his point was strong, to provide McCloud with more details about the situation. Surely, if McCloud knew exactly what Laurent had done, who he was, he would have changed his mind. Damien chewed on the thought like cud, over and over. His frustration threatened to bubble over in his chest and he had a hard time keeping his face straight.

It typically wasn't like this for him - he knew well how to face disappointment and frustration. Damien had been doing so his entire existence. But now with Rachel involved and that need to keep her safe more than anything else, he felt more out of control. IT was a frantic need, one that pumped adrenaline hot into his skin with the thought of losing her. Thoughts of what she had told him Laurent had done to her flicked through his head like a grotesque montage, and he was tempted in his anger to feed it to McCloud with all his fury and frustration attached.

Now who was being unprofessional? A little nagging voice breathed in his head, forcing calm to pull the reins of his emotions.

Damien inhaled deeply again and leaned back, finally breaking eye contact with the District Leader after an unnerving amount of time. He gazed about, unseeing and allowed Jake to see minute traces of his frustration. McCloud's response was as diplomatic as one could get, and Damien hated himself for letting his fear get in the way of his thoughts.

It's okay to feel things, you know? Rachel's voice echoed somewhere in his ear.

His lips slowly parted and drew back into a smile. "Forgive me," he said wearily, albeit a bit stiffly. "I'm dealing with a lot of frustration trying to find this maniac. My people are unable to find any hint of him and I fear that he's up to something." He sagged a bit, still not looking at the other. "Rachel seems to think he's going to show his face once I become comfortable with his absence."

With a click of his tongue, Damien looked back at McCloud and submitted to his logic. "I would very much appreciate a full investigation being carried out. He is dangerous and we suspect that he still runs a..." How much did he want him to know? Everything if he were going to provide help. Anything was better than waiting for Laurent to show up on his own time. "...a sex trafficking ring somewhere near the city. I have no doubts that he takes humans from this city to use as his... victims." Saying it aloud felt raw, like rubbing some wound he was trying to let heal.

"It is because of this that I cannot give you an answer about the position immediately. I must have this same conversation with my partner and my son, both of whom have more detailed knowledge of Laurent's methods than I." He had no way of knowing how the statement would be taken by the other, but he was more concerned with coming back to Rachel empty-handed. He had to do what was best for the situation.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 02:06:16 PM »
Jake at first saw the interlocking of their gazes as a challenge. He remembered Mithras, who'd stared at him with those unnerving brown eyes until he'd pulled away his grey ones and whimpered like a dog. Damien would get no such pleasure. When Damien's gaze finally broke, Jake broke into a reserved smile, and folded his hands together in his lap. He was about to wrap up the meeting, since it looked like he'd made Damien speechless, but then the ancient spoke once more, and Jake decided to listen. He thought about what he'd do if someone was hurting Sam, the mere mental image enough to erase the smile from before - and while they're relationship was new, Jake already felt like he'd do anything to protect Murphy, or avenge him. Truthfully, if their situations were reversed Jake likely would've made a similar request. These quick thoughts made things more grey, and he cursed his impulsivity for making him answer so soon.

Nothing Damien said made Jake change his mind about the situation, but he was less judgmental of Damien for asking him. His request was clearly born out of love for his human. Jake was able to surmise that the tiny cracks in Damien's armor was a rare sight. He envied him for that. Jake flew off the handle and felt whatever he was feeling ALL THE TIME. It was exhausting. Was controlling them just as troublesome? When Damien begged his forgiveness, Jake was surprised. He'd expected some line about his own record of violence, and softened further at being talked to like an adult for once.

"Most disturbed individuals use their victims happiness as a weapon," Jake observed, a tall and charming blonde entering his mental field. "If what you say is true then I will gladly find him and prosecute him. He will stand trial, like Lazarus did, but remember that it will be the job of my office to get a guilty conviction."

Regarding the job, Jake considered that it was best to arrange a meeting with Seb. Damien seemed to be going through a lot because of this demon, and Jake needed help now, not a month from now when Ben had swept up all the votes that were to be counted. However, telling Damien this served no purpose, and perhaps there was a relationship to be salvaged here if Jake could help him. An endorsement, money, and Damien talking to the ancients he knew would be helpful enough.

"Tell me all you know and I'll get my best two agents on this," he informed. "And I have a private investigator you should hire. He's gruff but very good, and does jobs for me of a more.... personal nature. He's very discrete and will work with my offices to share information. Just get him booze and he'll be happy."

Jake offered a reassuring smile. "I don't want anything like what you've described operating in my district and while I can't speak for the other district leaders I imagine most of them...

not Zeus or Zoheret

... will want to help." He waited cautiously for a reaction.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 11:50:26 AM »
"You will not be able to convict him," Damien said sternly, the anger seeping away from him and out of his tone. He spoke as a matter of fact. "He is not someone who obeys or listens to reason. He has no rules, no standard of ethics that can be discerned. Honestly, you'll be fortunate to locate him because he will not let you get your hands on him. We have been hunting for him for the better part of five years and have come up mostly empty handed." Damien considered not telling McCloud this particular fact, simply because he was admitting to 'vigilantism'. The truth was that he was considerably less than thrilled that the government, whom had no personal investment in finding the bastard other than a job to be done, would be investigating it instead of his own team, whom at the very least all had blood connection to one of the victims of Laurent's violence; Pierre still suffered an awful wound and would for many years.

"I've hired several private investigators before," Damien said, shifting his position. "From what Rachel tells me, Laurent is an expert in covering his tracks. The only things a P.I. was able to find was that he also goes by the name Adam, which makes us believe that his real name is not actually Laurent Craiton. If he is in fact a demon, which is something that we have been surmising, which we can't even be sure of considering he fits several descriptions of different types of demons, then it would make sense that he has a name that is not from this plane."

Damien stood and buttoned his jacket, straightening out his clothes. His expression was significantly more open - though not unguarded - and unfocused, as if distracted by his own thoughts. "Regarding this position, however, if I may be so bold as to say so, you will need someone much older than Kerr Galvin if you have any chance of winning this upcoming election." He replaced his polite smile and squared his shoulders off to the other, stepping almost perfectly back into his former professional state - though the distraction still seemed to make his words feel less important than they were. "Galvin still has a good name in this city, and his fledge has been making a name for himself in Galvin's honor. You'll need something more than a name and a legacy of honor - you'll need a victory. And a significant one at that." His thoughts flickered to the mistake of taking the West by force. He would wait to see the others response before concluding this meeting.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 03:44:03 PM »
Jake's face turned to shocked delight when Damien expressed his doubts over his ability to make this Laurent stand trial. People looked at him and saw a boy, his exterior. He knew he was rash, quick to anger, stubborn. These were all traits of adolescence. What people didn't see was the shrewdness, the ability to turn a conversation. He'd failed miserably at it with Zues, but it looked like he might've succeeded with Damien. He was getting campaign advice after all. A victory was a kind of statement that appealed to Jake. It was his victory over the Sabatt that was his rise to power in this city, that and his dashing good looks of course. He sat up straighter, and while he opened up his mind for Damien to connect, he was still keeping a certain distance. He wanted to let it go away, but recent experiences had taught him to be more cautious of people.

"I'll remind you I captured and held the Dragon Slayer and carried out his punishment," Jake stated proudly, not shy to remind Damien it was the Anarchs who were that monster's downfall. Noticing his defensiveness, he quickly added in a much more polite tone, "give the central district a chance. We've taken down more than a few bad men. I promise to provide you with updates on our findings, and my team of Nosferatu have been entrenched in the city's information sources for years. They'll turn up something on this Laurent."

He now moved to the political comment, wanting to hear more of Damien's perspective.

"A victory yes, but in what? I can't be linked to any more violence. Wouldn't it be more prudent to run on my record? Excluding Kerr, I'm the longest continuing serving public official in the city I think. Ironically, I'm the older one, so shouldn't I run older?"

Now that he had him here, he wanted to hash this stuff out, and at least get those questions answered before dismissing him. 
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 02:51:24 AM »
He had forgotten about all the 'Dragon' nonsense that had started with the former Luminaries of the city, and ended with Lazarus. Damien had heard the tale of Lazarus' dismemberment and banishment from the city - it was reported in no newspaper but had trickled down through the circles of supernaturals until it had reached Damien during a meeting with his fledge. He hadn't believed that a sword could simply sever and destroy vampire flesh in that way - trials done in his medical facilities had proved that it was possible for severed flesh to return to the host's body. And yet McCloud had managed to destroy a part of an ancient. Perhaps...

"You will not win votes by claiming you are older and have more right," Damien said firmly. "Many know your age and see it as not significantly different than Samson's. You are older, yes. But focusing on that will bring out your youth to those who are older than you. Which are many. You are better off ignoring the age gap, especially because Samson's accomplishments are impressive given his age.

"As my first piece of advice, and if you take nothing else," Damien continued, his tone softening, expecting his advice to be spurned completely out of defensiveness, "I offer you this. Kill off the Black Prince.

"That image is full of violence, domination, and control. It grates against the ones you are trying to win and ostracizes the ones you are trying to bring into the fold. It brings no unity to mind and it is one of your biggest weaknesses that Ben Samson and Kerr Galvin will try to exploit. It  may have served you in the past, but no longer. If you want to win this election, win it as Jake McCloud and have the confidence of the man that you have expressed yourself to be to me tonight." He waited patiently for the younger's reaction, expecting it to be unpleasant. He hoped that McCloud would understand and see past his own clan and his own image to see through the eyes of those who knew nothing about his successes. If he was incapable of doing so - of even considering doing so - there was no way to help him. Their conversation would be done here.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 03:44:26 AM »
Jake had never said he had more right, although he certainly believed he did. He also didn't agree Ben's profile was very impressive. The Academy had been funded by Kerr, the Sacrament, and Jake. Ben was only teaching the Lovebite class because he had no other skills to teach. Jake had heard he'd went to all that trouble just to turn the project over to Ichabod. Restoring the old Oligarchy chambers was another Kerr accomplishment he imagined Ben was taking credit for. Jake could give Ben ambition, but everything else of note was because he was a pretty boy who'd met the right people. Jake had fought wars, defeated actual enemies at the gates of this city. He'd overseen the creation of new vampires, pets, domiciles and turfs. He kept the thin-bloods safe from the Brujah, who also hated the caitiff, and they were mostly still trying to figure out what the clans were. He'd quelled the demon uprisings in the west, and brought trials to the city as a way to make government more fair. The Harpy, Keeper, and Sheriff had given the district needed infrastructure, and it was more than other district had as far as leadership. The only other district who kept as wide a council as Jake was the Sacrament.

However, he knew Damien was right. Ancients would play all that off, and still say, "but aren't they the same." Morons. Eternity didn't breed intelligence it seemed, or perspective. He decided not to argue the point with Damien. He was more or less just pointing out a fact, not judging it or agreeing with it. Jake still felt being the incumbent was an advantage, but decided to bring it later. Damien's next observation earned him a hateful stare. The Black Prince was Jake, and he hated that they were seen as such different people. Then again, Jake used the Black Prince to avoid looking vulnerable. If you were a rude asshole, who wore all black and mocked the system you represented then you were underestimated and dismissed. It had served him to be underestimated and hated for a time. If he acted and dressed like all the other pretty little bloodsuckers in town then wouldn't he be just another pretty little bloodsucker? Was just Jake enough?

Lucky for Damien, Tyler had told him the same, and his conversation with the smug "folk hero" replayed in his head. The little guitar strumming shit had more or less told him drop the title or prepare to fight for the Anarchs. That was a fight Jake knew he would lose. He sighed, and softened his expression, and it was his turn to show visible frustration mixed in with practiced control. Finally, he replied.

"As it happens, I have been given that advice by a respected colleague recently. He told me it alludes to my clan's worst moments, not our best. I... reluctantly... agree. Maybe you don't remember what it's like to be the pup at the grown up's table, but the Black Prince was a way to run the table instead of being run by it. If ancient vampires had to bend the knee then they couldn't question or overrule me. Besides, I was born nobility. It's hard to let the old ways die."

He seemed to grow sad at accepting that there really was no nobility anymore. He'd been born too late to ever know what it was to be a real monarch. His small court here was all he'd ever had. His mortal family lost their titles and lands, and he'd walked away from ever being a Camarilla prince. To abandon the Black Prince was to abandon who he'd been for almost three hundred years. Jake was scared he wasn't ready. Then again, Damien had inadvertently said that the man he'd been tonight was his ticket to victory. Who was that man? Jake wasn't sure he knew, but those were existential mind fucks for after Damien left.

"I'll do it," he finally said. "I just hope I have enough in me to make up for it," he said absently, speaking a thought out loud by mistake.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 04:07:41 AM »
Damien smirked as the range of emotion played out on McCloud's face, and then hid it before the other could notice. The wheels were turning and it was some of the best news that Damien had ever heard come out of the mouth of Jake McCloud.

"Oh I remember well what it was like to be a fledge at the table of ancients," the elder responded sympathetically. "My sire was nearly a thousand when she claimed me. I was claimed for my prowess in battle - at nineteen. I was promoted to General in my sire's lineage before I was Ben Samson's age. I came to rule at my sire's side before I was around your age - brothers and sisters who were twice, thrice as old as I was. I began to create my own lines - with the infamous Pierre duSang being my first fledge." Damien smiled at the young one.

"If you keep thinking about the ancients in the city 'bending the knee' as you say, you will never win them." The idea was simple. If this was where Jake's mindset lingered, there would be much work to do. "You will never get a vampire like Charon to 'bend the knee'. Vampires are much too proud for such things, especially the old ones. Instead you earn their respect by listening, governing as appropriate, and serving them where you can. Yes, you are their leader, but you are a resource for them. With their respect, you can do whatever you will, and they will support your decisions."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 04:32:36 AM »
"I don't need them to show deference," Jake corrected, sounding somewhat defeated as he did. "But what about when a call needs to be made, and they disagree with me? What's to stop any of them from saying their older and more experienced and deposing me? I couldn't resist a challenge like that currently. I hope you realize I'm putting trust in you by relating this fear."

He added the last part because he realized that he was saying more than he should. Zues had rattled him, and he was never more aware of his lack of power than at this current time. He thought back to Damien's history, noticing it was the first time he'd ever really shared with Jake. Perhaps his earlier disclosures weren't a mistake. His sire was also over a thousand when he was claimed, but he hadn't started out a warrior. Why Sophie chose him he still didn't know, and because she was gone he never would. He'd been an only child, and so the idea of competing children wasn't something he ever had to deal with. Sam and Scott got along like brother and sister. Perhaps he was a wiser sire than he'd given himself credit.

"I don't remember my mortal age," Jake shared. "I was at least sixteen, and no older than eighteen. I barely remember being human; most of it I read in journals I wrote, or my parents wrote. My sire was executed for making me without permission. Breaking the rules runs in my line." He smiled at the thought that Sophie had passed on something after all.

Some of what Damien was saying was obvious, and he'd never expected Charon to bow. Charon was an equal, not a subject. Damien's more general points were heard though, and he chewed them over.

"I will need to think more on what you've said, but I encourage you to meet with my Keeper, Harpy and Sheriff. See how things are run here. You might find we are already providing service in many unique ways. We are proud of what we've built. I only wish to see the rose bloom before it's trimmed back for a new plant to grow."

Jake never expected to rule forever. It wasn't the Anarch way, but nor did he feel his time was done. He had more within him to give.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 05:13:01 AM »
"Mine was killed by fire because she had become too ambitious," Damien confided with a sad smile, remembering, "along with everyone else in her lineage - save Pierre and I. Twenty dead, all with blood ties to me."  McCloud's display of trust was well placed and Damien needed him to know this. "The longer we live, the more we survive. The Old Ones are no different. They believe that they know what is best, but they do not always." He thought briefly of Odessa. "It is our job to respect them, not necessarily obey them." He was well aware that he was also giving Jake the permission to disregard what he was saying - which as a District Leader, was his right.

Damien held his hand out for the other in conclusion, nodding at his offer to meet his other people, but politely declining. "Thank you, but I must discuss matters with my family before I make another move in either direction. I appreciate you taking the time to meet with me. I will be sincerely considering your proposal."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 06:33:13 AM »
Damien’s sire must’ve been more than ambitious to have her whole line wiped out. Jake felt for Damien’s family, but also reflected this was the strength of being from a clan. Clan Ventrue might prune a bad stem - like Jake - but they’d never let anyone but their own make that call. The clans protected themselves from the outside. He wasn’t pleased Damien still thought waiting to accept the job was needed, especially considering his earlier blunder. Jake did understand needing to talk things over with family though. He’d need to hear Lisa and Maria’s perspectives before officially hiring an outsider.

He rose and took Damien’s hand, his grip firm but not aggressive in nature. He stayed seated as the other rose to leave, but called out as Damien reached the door.

“Please don’t think me rude,” he prefaced. “But I hope you decide quickly. Ben’s announcement caught me off guard but in every other way in this election I hope to be ahead of him. Good evening, Damien.”

With that he resumed his book, his mind on everything but.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.