Author Topic: ALTERNATE: Venture  (Read 13482 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: ALTERNATE: Venture
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2019, 11:18:23 AM »
"Oh, no, a tour would be great," Kerr enthused, leaping at the chance to visit her home. "It'll help me immensely. We have no functions tomorrow night - Monday night - so I'm free any time, all night," he explained, wondering if that sounded as pathetic to her as it did to him. He cringed, glad there was no-one else around to witness his ineptitude.

Monday nights when Venture was closed was his only definite night off but if they had a function booked, he usually worked. That really would be too much information and bore her, so he kept it to himself. He contemplated how he'd get her address, with nothing to write on. If she was free Monday night, he'd ask her to text her address. "Would that suit you?" he enquired hopefully.

He felt like a teenager again, calling a girl to ask her on a date. It was ridiculous but the excitement was genuine.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2019, 11:23:03 PM »
Sonya chuckled lightly at his enthusiasm.  "Oh, that suits me perfectly."  She leaned over the deck railing and took a drag from her cigarette.  What would he be like outside of a work environment?  She supposed that this meeting still had the guise of 'business' and would call for a level of professionalism to keep things appropriate.  But the party was as much of an excuse to draw him in further as it was a genuine desire to offer the special blood-cocktails to her guests.

An opportunity for Kerr to impress her with something more, perhaps.

"Any time in the evening is fine, I will be here.  I'll send you the address after this phone call."

The notion of devouring him before the party flitted darkly across her mind.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2019, 02:07:05 AM »
The way she phrased herself made him envision the phone call going on indefinitely, which he wouldn't have minded in the least - except he did have to work. Sunday nights weren't as busy as Friday and Saturday but it didn't look like it would be dead, judging by the crowd milling around outside the room he was in. That was good. It would keep him distracted, so he didn't get too uptight thinking about seeing her.

"Awesome," he grinned approvingly, impressed that she offered her address before he asked. "I'll be there early, to give us plenty of time. For the tour," he clarified, cringing when he heard himself making the conversation awkward. God, he was babbling. He needed to get out quickly. "Listen, I better go. Work. I'll see you tomorrow night, okay?" He waited for her to respond and if she had anything pressing to say, he would reply but his goal was to say goodbye and get off the phone before he made a complete fool of himself.

He sat in the silent room after the phone call ended, staring at his phone. When her address text came in, he grinned and sent a reply back to her - Got it! Thanks. See you tomorrow night  :smile: He recognised that the section of the city she lived in was rather exclusive and he anticipated something expansive and expensive. His mind wandered, constructing elaborate fantasies about extravagant mansions (and them fucking their way around it) for a full five minutes before he came to his senses and put his phone away. With a resigned sigh, he then left the feeding room, determined to keep himself constructively occupied.

~*~

Twenty-four hours later, Kerr pulled up at a large wrought-iron gate at the end of a long dirt road. He leant over the steering wheel, checking he had the right house number and then peering up at the camera perched atop the gate. He hoped that the text he'd sent before he left his place forty minutes ago (he lived in the Riverfront Lofts on the south side, quite a hike from the north west, where Sonya lived) was enough warning about his arrival. He smiled when the gate moved, allowing him silent entrance to the property. He drove onwards, parking his car on the side of the circular driveway, near a topiary bush in the shape of an elegant bird.

Getting out of the car, a sense of trepidation overrode his excitement. He closed his door and stood beside the vehicle, looking up at Sonya's beautiful home, fiddling with his clothes. He'd dressed casually, wearing a nice pair of jeans, boots, a navy blue polo shirt and his black leather jacket. He'd showered, washed his hair, shaved his face and applied deodorant and a light spritz of an Armani cologne - something light but masculine. He hadn't wanted to overwhelm her with scent but he still wished to make an impression; he wanted her to know he'd taken care with his appearance. For her.

After a last ruffle of his hair (it was slightly longer on top and he'd used a bit of wax before scrunching it, for some texture), he approached the door. He spied another camera directed at him and smiled into this one as he alerted the inhabitants to his presence by ringing the bell or knocking, whichever was most appropriate. He waited patiently, his hands clasped lightly in front of him, hoping he didn't look as nervous as he felt. He'd got the distinct impression - largely from the way Jeanne had hovered around him flirting for most of the night at work last night - that his visit to Awelfor Manor would impact his life in unforeseen ways and it was difficult to not be intimidated; he was definitely intimidated.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2019, 12:32:07 PM »
There was an eight-by-ten-foot canvas set up on top of drop cloths in the breakfast nook.  She’d been awoken sometime during the day with the need to paint and had spent the better part of the late afternoon in a battle of black, white, red, and gold.  Her mind was far from the party, and far from her meeting with Kerr Galvin, until she received the text message announcing his impending arrival.  She had enough time to freshen up and put on clothing not covered in paint.  The remaining time waiting she spent in front of the canvas, making casual additions until she heard tires crunching on the dirt road. 

Sonya answered the door in blue jeans and gold flat sandals; her flowing French-tucked white blouse unbuttoned about halfway.  There were small flecks of paint on her forearms below where the blouse was cuffed at the elbow, though her hands were freshly washed.  The movement of the door opening pulled the air from outside toward her, carrying the distinct scent of cologne with it.  She inhaled slowly, imagining how the scent would mix with that of freshly spilled blood, and smiled at her guest.

“Kerr, please come in.” 

The painting of her sire glared down at them as he entered the foyer.  Sonya closed the door after he entered, taking the time to look him over as she walked around him.  Delicious.  Well dressed.  He somehow seemed taller in her home.  She wanted to know what his neck would feel like against her lips.  Between her teeth.  By the time she came back around the front of him, there was a sly smile on her face.

“Now, would you like to go over details first or shall I show you around?”  She’d show him where the party would take place.  Usually, her events were concentrated in the back yard, but it wasn’t uncommon for some guests to linger inside the great room and even the kitchen. 

Upstairs was another matter.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2019, 08:05:38 PM »
A shiver ran down Kerr's spine and the hairs on the back of his neck stood up as he stepped in and Sonya circled him. He'd never felt so much like prey. He fiddled with his jeans pockets beneath the hem of his jacket, disconcerted by her behaviour. Perhaps he'd been foolish to come here alone. He'd overestimated his worth... and underestimated her predatory nature.

Beauty certainly didn't equate to mercy and he was an idiot to have assumed it did.

"I'd like to look around first, if that's okay?" he enquired, feeling hesitant in the wake of her power. With a lot of magic spells and muscular bouncers backing him up, he'd been confident before her. Now he felt like a child; weak, uncultured and cowed. He should've thought about those moments she'd intimidated him at Venture and extrapolated. Too late now.

"You look beautiful, by the way," he was compelled to add, as he looked into her azure eyes.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2019, 08:13:23 AM »
He looked nervous.  Sonya would have felt a little bad if she didn’t find herself enjoying the way it made him fidget.  It only made her want to devour him all the more.  When their eyes locked she smiled, reaching ever-so-slightly into his mind for another tug with her characteristic hook.  “Thank you,” she breathed, closing in so he was within reach.  “You don’t look so bad yourself.”  Her eyes flickered to his throat but she gave him a reassuring smile when they met eyes again.

“I like this jacket.”  Her hand went out, a bit quicker than she intended, and she touched the edge of it at his collar.  It was almost an affectionate gesture, with a sort of out-of-place intimacy considering they weren’t that acquainted.  A cute smile flashed her teeth as she turned and took a step away.

“Come with me.”  Her tone was cheery, a gracious hostess.  It felt silly to show him rooms in the house, but she did so habitually.  She doubted he cared much about the front living room, the library in her study, the location of the bathroom, the dining room with its table full of papers, or the unused kitchen.  He was led around to each immaculate room nonetheless while she pointed out some decoration here and there.  They came to a stop in the main area of the house, the grand room with the piano.  Her painting in the breakfast nook across from the kitchen could be seen, but she made no effort to point it out.

“I expect guests to congregate here,” she explained, making a wide sweeping gesture to indicate the entire open area.  She continued to speak as they passed through the room on the way to the doors leading to the porch, the pool, the gardens, the backyard, and her private beach.  “But there will be a grand spread outside.”  Sonya opened both doors and stepped out onto the deck, stopping once she met the railing and turning to face Kerr. 

“I hope I haven’t bored you.”  Her mouth held a coy smile as she leaned back against the railing.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2019, 10:09:25 PM »
When her hand appeared on his lapel, he sucked in breath and tensed. He didn't release the air until she smiled like the lioness she was and started the tour. The house was as grand and beautiful as had been augured by the driveway and imposing exterior.

It didn't take too long for him to stop watching Sonya from the corner of his eye and start appreciating the interior. His fingers itched to play the piano as they admired the grand room but he followed her out to the deck instead. He stayed near the doors, keeping some distance between the two of them.

"Not at all. Your home befits you," he smiled, tucking the fingers of both hands into his front pockets. "Where do you anticipate I'll set up? Inside or outside? I'll need to be close to power," he requested hesitantly, doubting she thought of such details... because she was above being bothered by such.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2019, 02:43:17 AM »
Sonya smiled graciously at the compliment but made no comment, more focused on the unfortunate distance between them.  It would be easy enough to close the gap and draw in very close, but she doubted that would have a desirable effect.  Though it would be fun.

She crossed her arms and cocked her head thoughtfully.  Inside could provide a more intimate experience.  In the kitchen, even, with access to ample counter space and electricity. She didn't want this special offering to be missed.  Too far out into the yard would mean extension cords and so on and probably wouldn't be visually appealing, and its presence would be competing with other elements of the event in that space.  Couldn't have that.

"Perhaps here on this deck?  There is an outlet under the window there."  She gestured to her right beneath the window to the study.  "Unless inside would make things easier, in the kitchen for instance."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2019, 11:30:01 PM »
Kerr stepped out onto the deck to inspect the space, feeling himself wanting to veer towards her like a needle being pulled to its true north. He fought the urge hard in order to move to where he'd be situated - potentially - instead. He turned his back to the house and looked around with a slow smile, imagining her guests flowing in and out of the doorway to his right and down onto the lawn ahead of him. It would be a high traffic area, which caused him to wonder a lot more things.

He stopped fighting her pull and walked over to her, admiring the in-control posture of her folded arms as he spun on his heel and sat against the railing on her right. His arms remained open, his hands on the wood either side of him. The hand between them was touching both their asses and they were almost shoulder to shoulder, which felt... companionable. Exactly the opposite of his true feelings, which were nowhere near as mild. Especially now he was close to her.

"The kitchen probably would be more practical - access to the sink to wash everything off in between bags, for instance - but I think the view would be nicer here. I'll feel like I'm more involved, I think. I'll just buy extra equipment so I don't have to wash up as often. How many guests are you expecting? Are you sourcing the blood or do you want me to do it?" he queried, looking down at her with a smile.

He assumed she'd be getting vats of blood to cater for a vampire party but she might just get donors instead, which wouldn't help him. Venture had blood-provider contacts but he didn't think he could strain his relationship with Jeanne much farther by using them to get his own blood - especially if this party was going to be huge. He wanted to impress Sonya with his resourcefulness but it didn't feel like that would be possible if his supply volume was going to be excessive.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2019, 08:39:00 AM »
Sonya watched him look around, eyes tracing over his figure while his back was to her or his attention was not directed her way.  When he began to approach, a smile touched her lips.   

There, that's better.  She emitted a pleasurable feeling when they touched, though Sonya made no move to get closer just yet.  The warmth from his body as he stood so close beside her was positively mouthwatering.

"That sounds perfect." Her voice was quieter now that he was close, and she looked over her shoulder at him. 

"No more than a hundred.  Most likely around seventy-five."  There were some who were flakey, others who were invited just so they were not insulted (though they would never attend), and word of mouth sometimes collected new faces. 

"Besides the live donors, I have my own source, so no need to worry about that."  Ensuring he would be well stocked was a simple matter for her.  Some of her guests would be less adventurous, but others would be quite excited to try something new. 

Breaking the physical contact but maintaining the close proximity, Sonya turned toward him and leaned against the railing with one hand, the other slipped casually into the front pocket of her jeans.  "I can give you cash up front or a card to use."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2019, 07:26:35 PM »
Kerr was greatly relieved she'd supply the blood. When she turned to face him, he was compelled to partially mirror her pose; he dropped his left leg so that his foot rested behind him and swivelled so that his hip was resting against the railing, looking at her mouth as she spoke.

It occurred to him that the lights were only on so that he could see what was going on and he wondered what it might be like at a party exclusively for vampires, where they wouldn't need lights and everything could happen secretively, in the darkness. It sounded hot. No wonder they gave the impression humans were tolerable annoyances a lot of the time.

"Cash would probably be best. All up, I don't expect to spend much more than two hundred dollars - it should be less and I'll give you back the change. That hardly seems to warrant the hassle of a card," he demurred, finding the responsibility of handling her card an imposing prospect. He cocked his head, a new concern striking him. "What would you like me to wear?"

It was Halloween, which meant a costume party, he assumed. Did that mean he needed to be in a costume?

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2019, 08:37:08 AM »
Sonya eyed him suggestively for a second and a light laugh sounded in her throat.

"Oh, I haven't told you?"  There was a playful expression on her face, hunger lingering beneath.  When she spoke again it was quieter, as though she were sharing some delicious secret, and she leaned slightly toward him.  "It is a masquerade."  Her eyes glanced over his lips.

"I won't impose a dress code, but I don't want that to discourage you from having a bit of fun."  Her voice was silky, smile all charms. 

"There is a collection of masks upstairs if you were interested."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2019, 08:03:47 PM »
Kerr wasn't quite able to take in all the nuances of her sultry voice because she'd brought her face closer to his. She was breathtaking, her head tilted up towards him, her tide-pool eyes glinting in such a way as promised the revelation of endless secrets - but no answers. He licked his lips when she looked at them, hoping...

Then her message penetrated his foggy brain and he frowned. "A masquerade? Masks?" he asked, feeling thick and slow in the wake of her hypnotic beauty. He blushed, feeling she likely thought him an idiot and not wishing to be thought of as stupid but he honestly couldn't think very far past her and the thought of pressing his lips to hers. She was so close and the way she was looking at him made his balls tighten with a confusing mixture of fear and desire.

"Uh, I've never been to a masquerade party before. I definitely don't have a mask," he added with a bashful laugh, scratching at the back of his head self-consciously. "I don't mind wearing one but, yeah, I'll need to borrow one."

The mask proposal still didn't answer his question about what to wear. It would be cool out here on the deck so he likely wouldn't be able to get away with just a dress shirt and pants but he also didn't have any stylish overcoats. Perhaps a full suit? He had an expensive navy one and a black one - the navy one was three piece. Sonya seemed the type to appreciate a sophisticated dresser, so the navy was probably the best idea.

Of course, looking down at her as he was, he was struck by his own arrogance. She was hosting a party with seventy-five of her closest friends. Why would she even care what he was wearing? She'd be too busy circulating and talking, she'd likely speak to him once and that was it. He was a fool for even worrying about impressing her.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2019, 12:48:10 PM »
How cute.   She inhaled subtly, detecting the shift in the air as color filled his cheeks.  Such thin, fragile skin humans had.  The thought of splitting him open to watch that same blood flow out crudely crossed through her mind. 

But that would be a waste.

A smile remained on her face and she reached up and gently brushed his cheek. "Come with me." Withdrawing her hand, she moved away from him and headed back into the house.  Her pace was slow enough for him to follow, even if he hesitated.  Without looking back to see if he had obeyed her gentle command, she continued up the stairs, taking a left once at the top and smoothly entering the door to the right.

This bedroom had been converted into a walk-in closet, walls filled with dresses on hangers (some in garment bags) from various time periods and styles.  They were not the oldest she had in her possession, those were in the basement.  Most of the dresses upstairs were excellent replicas.  The far wall flanking either side of the window hung a collection of masks of varying themes and colors.  Those at the very top were oldest.  She was well accustomed to moving them off of the wall with her mind, and there was no obvious way of reaching them otherwise.

Beneath the window in the center of the room was an antique fainting couch with gold embellished wood and white upholstery.  About ten feet away from the couch stood a double-sided, full-length mirror.  Sonya walked directly to the back of the room and positioned herself on the couch, casually leaning into the corner.  She looked to Kerr and gestured at the collection on either side of her with both arms open. 

"Take your pick."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2019, 08:19:20 PM »
Her touch was cold, yet it left his skin hotter than anywhere else on his body. He was towed along behind her when she beckoned, connected by an invisible string that somehow seemed made of indestructible iron. He had no idea how he'd stayed so far away from her while looking at the deck because he followed directly in her footsteps now, step for step - to the point that he almost stumbled into her in his eagerness to not let her get away, on the stairs. He paused to take a calming breath at the top, knowing he was being ridiculous but unable to quell his desire to be close to her.

The dressing room was yet another amazing aspect of her home and his mouth fell open in wonder as he beheld all the finery. His pace slowed as he struggled to take it all in, the magnitude of the clothing overwhelming. Sonya's segue to the masks felt appropriately dramatic, with Herself draped along the pretty chaise. Kerr boggled at both sides of the wall, barely able to decide where to look or how to process what he was seeing. Half masks, full face masks, eye masks depicting foxes, cats, rabbits. Masks in lace, swathed with ribbons, bedecked with curling fronds and bells to look like jesters, pirates, soldiers, dancers. Each was more detailed and beautiful than the last but his eyes were continually drawn back to one in particular.

It was a top-half mask, because, even though he was drawn to the full masks, he supposed he'd have to speak to the partygoers, to explain what he was serving them. Nothing without a mouth, in that case. The one he was drawn to looked somewhat like an owl mask, with a bottom layer of black feathers and a top layer of gold and brown ones around the eyes. It also had a set of black horns, the kind found on a bull, that curled above the head. It seemed strong and mysterious and he pointed to it after walking across the floor, back and forth, examining the riches upon the wall for over five minutes.

"That one," he nominated simply, feeling it wouldn't be his place to take it down without her agreement. She'd said to take his pick, but what if she just wanted to see which way his tastes ran, only to deny him if what he chose was too old or special or expensive? She seemed the kind of lioness who liked to play with her sources of amusement, after all. He wouldn't put it past her to laugh at him and refuse to give him what he wanted; she enjoyed dangling his desire in front of him.